86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
There is a plastic kit trim kit that holds the trim in. It is still available. I have watched my windshield shop remove the trim and they have a hard time. It is one of the few jobs that I will have done by someone else, but is one I will gladly pass off.

I find a good windshield shop and have them to remove the trim and then go home and pull the windshield and sand all of the rust out of it. My shop installs the sealer before installing the windshield. I drive back without the windshield in and do get some funny looks, but it saves the alot of time and me alot of money. Never had a problem with one. See if you can find a shop that will let you do that. Mine is glad I fix mine and them bring it to them.

The trim kit is about $25 if I recall right. If you want me to see if I can get the kit info let me know.

I havd had them to leak on top,sides or bottom. It can be anywhere.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That black stuff is Urethane and it does not bond so well to rust though it sticks like a fiend to everything else... if you get it on you it has to wear off... You need to get the windshield out clean all the rust out of the channel with a wire brush/3M red/3M green pad then prime with corrosion inhibitor/ when you have a pristine clean surface a good continuous bead of Urethane goes down and then install the 'shield and you should be leak free. Oh! it needs to be a moderate temp day... too cool and the bead will shrink, too hot and it gets too soft and "flowy"... tape down the shield and avoid rough roads/off road for a few days while the Urethane completely cures.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:43 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks guys, always appreciate the input/info/nuggets of knowledge! Lol

I really am frustrated, because the guys spent hours on it the first time, cleani g out the slight corrosion and treating it.... Then it leaked..... They came back, 3 of them, and worked on it a couple hours... resealed the top portion(didnt remove it again). Now, 2 years later, it's leaking again.

Btw, if it needs to be fully removed and gutted/treated before install, AGAIN....... then how to get all the urethane out???? I've heard freezing it helps.

Also, but the bank the other day I met the guy in the parking lot doing windshield for one of the bank executives. It was a newer BMW.... He seemed to be really taking pride in his work, so I asked him what the deal was and explained about my windshield. He said those people use polyurethane and often some cheaper crap that never seals properly. He's at explained that he uses this material that is more like a roofing type material, and once he's done eating it, installing it and then dropping in the windshield and doing touch up on the other portions... It is hard enough and ready to drive off and do whatever to, immediately. I was just curious if anybody knows what he's talking about. I haven't looked it up yet. I have a huge day and then a very busy night, the latter of which I'm really looking forward to telling you about. Another excellent night that was a huge bonus for Mom! She had a freakin blast! I will share sometime tomorrow once I can look at the pictures on my computer.

As for the leaking... If it's not one thing it's a freaking other! I think I will likely need those clips, Terry. I want to get this wrapped up quick because I do want to get up to the Sierras for a hot spring weekend. Its been a long time and I think I have that coming! Lol. The problem is, the weather up there is extremely unpredictable in the late fall early winter.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:43 PM

Wellllll,..... I'm screwed! I just spoke with the NEW owners of California Auto Glass.... Apparently I had this done the first time in 2009. They came back in 2010 around the same time exactly... Attempted to fix it and I think it's clear, they failed. And this guy, while he is willing to fix it if I would go to him... He is still in Pomona. The last people I use when they owned the company were mobile. I think this guy is as well but he is not going to honor all of those guys when she'll jobs because he's just getting too many calls and he's only on the company for a few months. He said basically that he will go out of business if he doesn't draw the line somewhere. Whether I agree with him or not, I'm not about to start some legal fight over it, & I can't very well hold him accountable for their crappy work.

So I have two choices... 1. I Drive out to him... Or 2. I find that business card I got the other day for the guy that uses the warm tar-like synthetic stuff method, and give him a shot.

Before I do that, I'm going to make absolutely certain that the water did not come through the off road light hole. The only way I could see that being the cause is if it ran along the roof and around the Sun roof and then out the weather stripping . It feels more like it is leaking right up against the window is, but I can't be positive... I remember them, the guys that failed, using a spray bottle over and over in the same spots, just to verify that I was right and that it was leaking from the windshield and not somewhere else.... It took a bit of spring but eventually it did drip through. Unfortunately, this means I need to remove the windshield weather stripping and then the headliner and then watched very carefully with a super bright flashlight or something. What do you think about that idea?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:02 PM

Here are some pictures from recently... 1 is off some flowers are growing in my front yard in December... Gotta love SoCal! For all you guys that are dealing with freezing temperatures in snow and rain,... I promise I don't take it for granted and I am very grateful!

The poinsettias in this picture are above the edge of the roof which I believe is at least 10 feet... Freaking gorgeous! The pink ones are a pretty rare one called Pink Ladies and obviously the other one is birds of paradise which are in full bloom and the hummingbirds are going nuts!

Name:  IMG_20131209_143853.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  114.8 KB

The next picture is just a collage I did of a day I had with my niece and sister and mother. What to church and then chatted for quite a bit outside... Had a great time with Mom later... It was just an awesome day with some of the awesome ladies in my life! So very grateful!

Name:  IMG_20131208_141853.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  88.7 KB

The next pictures are pretty obvious... My mom is an absolute nut over Christmas decorations and the smells and the lights... She just absolutely loves it! I enjoy looking at it as well, but it is often quite a p.i.t.a... Still, I'm always glad I did it for her! I still a little more to do but it's coming along... Also, the Christmas tree was picked up by my niece, Molly. My sister and brother-in-law paid for it as a gift for Christmas. Very awesome! I'm so stoked, on a side note, to have found Armstrong nursery as a alternative to Home Depot nightmare! Very reasonable prices and great customer service beyond compare! Not only that, but the trees have the stake type stand, perfectly level and vertical and ready to stand up and pour water in. I am so sick of those stupid screw types... I always end up messing with them for hours and a couple times they've even fallen over! Lol...

Name:  IMG_20131208_222158.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  281.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20131208_221518.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  705.0 KB

YOTACLAUS!!!---> haha. ....( for right now, I am calling them snow sled landing lights instead of Rock lights! Haha. ..

Name:  IMG_20131207_213024.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  597.2 KB

Next are the pictures of my mom, ant and good friends enjoying the play that I took my mom to. As I said, she was doubly excited but the fact that they called me up on stage... It was a lot of fun, and they were very kind and very talented, "The Wonderelles" .... I like 50's and 60's music and error type stuff anyway... It was more for the ladies and older folks, but I really did enjoy it. They had me do the "Cool Jerk" ... ( you know, the song from which cool whip pulled there theme song? Lol. )..... I got a great pick up lines and autographed picture and CD... Like I said, it wasn't for me, and a little bit of being put on the spot is worth it for a memory that your loved one will never forget, right? Hehe.....( it was funny, because another singer earlier in the show was singing to me and flirting and whatever... They interacted with the audience quite a bit... And as she walked by the second time she said oh you better be ready, away from the mic. I knew right then and there at some point I was going to get called up there... Then the main girl came out and pretty much saying most of the song to me, "Sweet....Miseryyyyy" .... lol... Sitting on my lap and so forth... You know, she would pull my arm up on her shoulder and then shove it away and look all silly at me, then run back and lean on me... Hahaha. It was quite the crack up. I thought I had gotten out of it, because she walked away and then went all the way up to the stage... Then she turned back and looked right at me and said, oh you thought you were safe? Who wants Mark to come up here? .... Yeah, there was heavy applause, but most of that is because everyone else is mortified of being called up there. Hahahahaha... Great memory, & a great time for my sweet mom.....

Name:  image-54.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  464.7 KB

Name:  image-48.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  349.1 KB

Name:  image-59.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  583.3 KB

Name:  2013-12-10001853.png
Views: 77
Size:  550.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20131210_003636.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  144.0 KB

Still hoping for advice from you guys regarding what to do about the windshield. I think I should just eat my losses and find a really reputable guy....
Old 12-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chef, a new career??? Stage dancer???? hmmmmm
Old 12-10-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
at worst you can find some aquarium sealer which sticks to anything long as its not oily pull the trim along the top an smooth it all along the top edge of the windshield

YAY i can post thank you aviator! an terry! days i couldnt as it didnt like me :-(
Old 12-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome back cyber...

and a big YT shout out to our newest Solid Gold dancer Mark!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:06 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
How big is the spot that is leaking? If it's not too big than you can always put some rtv silicone in there.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:47 PM

Hahaha, I knew I would get a little razzing...See? I AMMMM a good sport for even posting that, right? Lol...

Hey 84,..... I still need to make 100 percent sure the windshield... But I'm pretty sure. If it is I can't really know how big the spot is just yet. My guess is it's very small and likely where they couldn't get the windshield trim back in without a little hump. My guess is that's because they shot a bunch of extra crap in there when they had to come back to first time. Now its doing it again... If that is in fact what's happening. The last time I try to tell myself it was either that hole in the roof or some other thing like the moon roof... It ended up being exactly what I was hoping it wasn't, the windshield. So I'm just getting prepared.

Its so freakin cold tonight... (I know, I know, why don't I try out Idaho or Washington or Canada or the east coast for the evening, right?) All I know is its cold enough that I don't want to be working out there while I am fighting a little sinus cold. That's how I got it in the first place! Lol. But anyway, it's too cold tonight and I was hoping to try and hit the yard tomorrow morning for some stuff... My daughters car is in my driveway as of tomorrow afternoon, as far as I know. So I gotta get that hood and so forth... If I have time, I will do that water test when I get back, and then I am hoping to take my mom to see the movie, Out of the Furnace... I know, it looks insane... But for some reason she really wants to see it, so Who am I to argue?. Hahaha... Okay, you got me, I want to see it as well, but it really is her idea.

PS: what y'all think of this? Just curious if its a good deal. I know most of the Tactical one are about $60.... And I am a firm believer and you get what you pay for in many instances. However, I have got some pretty kickass deals fun stuff that has lasted me quite a while... So I thought I would at least ask. 180 lumens doesn't seem too bad for something so small that only takes one AA battery. Plus its adjustable...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ens/1415/3273/

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-11-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Well, people that say things like that have no conception of what type of pain and breaking down in general that you are going through. It's a pretty ignorant perspective to have, but most often people don't mean any harm by it. They just don't like facing things that are so difficult with the 100 percent truth. You may not always have a perfect attitude, you would... But, for the most part, you don't come off as a defeated person to me... And you're not running around like a little troll all nasty to others... You hate what you're going through and you appreciate what you have... What more can be asked?

Wish there was something I could do to help, directly... But luckily, what a total blessing, you have someone like her! I can imagine that is absolutely key for you right now, so I'm very glad that not only is she refusing to abandon you... She's strapped that huge laod of burdens/ responsibilities on her back and is willing 2 help lighten the load tremendously!( not that you are a burden, it's just that anyone who's been through this knows how difficult it can be for someone who loves someone who is in it. That's the burden!)...

My very best to you, sir! Tell that lovely missus that she also has my thoughts and prayers!
Agreed, you make a very valid point there. I appreciate your kind words brother, another perspective always helps! I may not seem defeated yet, but another day or two of not being able to eat and that may be a different story lol No point in taking my pain out on others, won't make me any better at the end of the day. I DO have my moments when I get snappy/pissy and thankfully those around me do understand and know I don't mean it, but it doesn't make me feel any better about it.

Trust me, just a different view helps, and you just taking the time out of your day, to try and spread some cheer my way, goes a very long way. You're very right about that, I couldn't do it without her. I wish there was more I could do for her! This last week has been too rough on her, she doesn't let it show but I know she's hurtin just as bad as I am right now, and it kills me to know I'm putting her through it. Sadly, I feel like a burden to her. She works a lot and at a very demanding/physical job that most guys I know wouldn't be able to handle, just to come home and take care of me. She's incredible, she really is and I feel like a pud because my girl is "the man of the house", providing for us both and getting ˟˟˟˟ done when I'm pretty much useless.

Anyways, I'm gonna stop taking over your build thread with my nonsense, I just wanted to take a minute to thank you again. I really do appreciate it.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:19 AM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Thats frustrating for sure. Well good luck with the repair and hopefully it goes smoothly!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Mr. Fish you are not useless you are just temporarily side lined is all... think of it as a multi-game injury suspension... you will be back on the field contributing in no time.

Mark that looks like a nice little light but I'm curious what the run time on the battery is... I did'nt see any data on that there...
Old 12-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sympathise with you Fish. I don't exactly know what you are going through but I've been injured and still healing. Having to use the missus as a crutch just to get out of bed was tough and a blow to manly self esteem.

Lucky to have support like that. Im getting better and don't need that kind of support but she still comes to doctors appointments and gets angry at the right people which helps me feel better.

I see the light at the end. Best wishes and good luck on whatever it is you are going through. We're lucky dudes to have found the women we have.

Chef, imagine how dicky you'd look if you kick up a fuss over a leak you drilled yourself. :p

Oh, made it home. Need to go to the pick a part. My steering column is way loose. Its really wandering. There is a bolt so stripped it has a curve in it. I hope the hole isn't trashed. Its the last joint before it goes through the firewall. Some mechanic blamed my Blazeland kit.....

Last edited by Red Wagon; 12-11-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 AM

Really good to hear your home safe, Andrew! It was very calm a very nice to meet both you and your other half... She's a sweetheart and a trooper to boot!

The whole was already there as far as the hole in the roof. I didn't really doubt any bigger. The previous owner had a roof mounted CB antenna that never had an antenna because the way it snapped off or he removed it there was no where to install the antenna portion. So I had to remove the entire thing because it was making contact with my CONFERR when I previously had it mounted on the rain gutters. I had to do that just to get the rack home. I used a 5/8 grommet and a plug there in the middle.

It seems to be leaking in exactly the same place as when the windshield was sleeping before. The place that they tried to repair but might, as it looks, have failed to do so. Grrrrr!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM

Hey guys, I am heading the yards right now unexpectedly to try and find a hood for my daughters Lexus es300. Its a 93. I am really hoping that I can pull this off and get it drivable for her until February when she will be getting her newer Honda.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Mark is this the car that was supposed to be fixed by "professionals"? what happened to that? pretty sure you can probably find one... good luck...

Wagon what happened to you? you still in YK? I thought you were headed south of 60... or did I get it backwards...

Last edited by aviator; 12-11-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:41 PM

Got a very clean hood.... A white one unfortunately, but straight and with a very smoothly working latch release(from the ones I tested at the yard today, it seems they rarely work easily) RIP OFF! This place is going downhill. I'll fill you in later. Grrrr! Lol
Old 12-11-2013, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
Mark is this the car that was supposed to be fixed by "professionals"? what happened to that? pretty sure you can probably find one... good luck...
Wow,....ears burning or WHAT? lol.....
Old 12-11-2013, 10:20 PM

This was dropped in the yard while I stood there.... Asked the guy, "How many miles?"... He called in and the voice on the other end replied, "89,567 miles".... Ahhhhhhh! Was an LS, spotless!....

Name:  20131211_134316.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  365.9 KB

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread