86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that is a nice comparison of the blazeland vs SA. its pretty close lol
Old 11-18-2013, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I cheated and watched the videos early! Great stuff, guys! That Blazeland kit is so sick.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:12 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Great comparison pics.
At first I thought one of the 3 trucks was leaking something from the left front but it was just the shading/coloring of some of the rocks..
Old 11-19-2013, 02:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ok, I'm working on it, I swear.....

Richard came really close to permanent damage to his eyes, just since returning(too close to the welding action).... So he's holding off for a couple days, maybe? I'll let him share the details, just REALLY glad he's ok!!!!

I'm going to do my own Video of Pics, .... then also a post of all the pics that I find to be best... then Post them up as well. The video is great, but not everyone has access to computers that have quick net service, etc .... So, I'd like to do my best to do a Movie'Maker slide show video with some music, then save it to YouTube, ...

Till then, I promise I'm working on it hehehe.

I, personally... I HAD AN INCREDIBLE time... RED and his Lady were/are great people, as is Richard.... I'm glad to have them as friends. However, it's a bonus when they're fun to do things with that you enjoy as well!!!! haha... Can't speak for them, but from all the mouths whom were there....... "GREAT trip!" ... So I'm assuming, at least, that they felt it was a lot of fun, as did I!

Originally Posted by HighLux
Don't tease us Chef....your fans are waiting for pics and vids!

Looks like you guys had a blast. 3 nice runners.
Haha, sorry man, I'm trying. Been really busy.... But I'm nearly done editing a compilation video and lots of pix.... I basically have the post nearly done and have been saving it as I go. Indeed, I had a great time!

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner

Absolutely, Man.
Upload NOW! LOL!
Lol.... Least I can do for ya, RAD! Hehe

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
that is a nice comparison of the blazeland vs SA. its pretty close lol
He did great with it on 35's.... Quite a few close calls/couple near rolls, but the Dude made it up and over John Bull, east to west, plain and simple! I've always love that reg and now I got to see it... He's got some plans for the near future but I'll let him tell you all about it when he's good & ready.

Originally Posted by Ocell
I cheated and watched the videos early! Great stuff, guys! That Blazeland kit is so sick.
Grrrrr, you cheated! Haha. .. I'm glad you enjoyed it... And yes, it is most definitely pretty darn sick. Good to hear from you 0!

Originally Posted by dropzone
Great comparison pics.
At first I thought one of the 3 trucks was leaking something from the left front but it was just the shading/coloring of some of the rocks..
Yeah I almost thought the same thing for a second.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:22 AM

Can't wait to see more pics! That 2nd gen with the LT kit is sweet!
Old 11-20-2013, 12:43 AM

Almost done doing a video.... FREAKING YOUTUBE (I should say, freaking Google! Since they took over its a piece of crap!)..

The editors crashed on me 3 times, but thank God it saves it every minute or so... So, I just need to make sure that everything goes together right and then I'm good to go. Next time I am using Windows Movie Maker and just importing it. I can't believe I didn't do that the first place. Oh well, each time I learn new things, and I'm going to do my best to make them better each time.

I also have a plan to try and clean up my youtube and Photobucket accounts, organizing a little bit and I've already started to do about a 50 mod library of my build thread. It'll take a while but and spare time I can get it done... Just can't be in a hurry.

Its not a masterpiece, but I hope people enjoy it.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Ok, I'm working on it, I swear.....

Richard came really close to permanent damage to his eyes, just since returning(too close to the welding action).... So he's holding off for a couple days, maybe? I'll let him share the details, just REALLY glad he's ok!!!!
I'm doing good Mark thanks for asking. I can see out of my eyes fine now. I don't have any pain, swelling, bloodshot eyes or tearing anymore. My eyes just have a hint of pink down the center from left to right. It was just a stupid move on on my part. I should have used a mask either way. Even if I wasn't welding or staring into the arc. That radiation really jacked me up even with working at a distance. Wont be doing that again.

I'm just glad there won't be any permanent damage. Pretty much just got sun burn on my eyeballs.

Ill be posting an update on my thread later on today when I get home from work. Got close up pix of the broken tire carrier, and how the project came out after reinforcement plate steel was welded on with pix of my eyes n stuff.

Last edited by Redeth005; 11-20-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good golly be careful Red...

Mark have you seen those small round rocker switches? they are about a 1/2" diameter and have a little LED that lets you know when they are on. Another option would be old school mini toggle switches... mounting hole is about a 1/4" and the body is about 3/8" behind... no LED indication but a glance can tell you if they are on or off... You could make up a mounting plate for them so you would not have to get a new radio cowl to mount them in...
Old 11-20-2013, 12:48 PM

Damn red, glad the eyes are getting better.

I'm excited to see the pics of the trip! After seeing the blazeland and the SAS comparisons i am still set on getting the blazeland kit, the travel is really sweet!

Now get to posting!
Old 11-21-2013, 02:34 AM

Ok, advice? NEVER use YouTube video editor! Lol... I mean it's a good thing that it's there, not everyone has the computer with a good video editing program, etc. Personally, I can't believe I didn't just use windows movie maker in the first place. It wasn't all several hours of spare time invested that I realized they don't allow you to pull your own music into the video on YouTube.....

In the end, I don't really want music in it, I really enjoy listening to the crawling sounds.... And there really isn't a. Where I can get music in long enough to hold on without interrupting phone call conversation on the trail and so forth. I'll try it both ways... It's uploading now and then I will download it back to my computer and add music throughout. I should be able to posted in the morning. Fair warning, around 40 minutes long. Believe it or not that is with tons of clipping out of bits and pieces. There was well over two hours of video and nearly 300 something pictures... I hope you guys enjoy it, I'm trying hard.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:27 AM

40 minute video will chew into my "work" day nicely! just watched some of the clips on red's page. all your rigs are lookin sharp!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
will there be some picts of the rack all lit up mark? you worked hard on that figuring out the connections wiring an how to set it up all summer
Old 11-21-2013, 07:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm making a video on Windows Movie Maker. Using a bunch of the better pix. And a bunch of pieces of video clips from all our videos. So you don't need ti watch the boring stuff. Just clipped out the good stuff lol but I'm only about 3 min in to the video. The song I'm using in the background is 4:20 long.

Last edited by Redeth005; 11-21-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:25 PM

Version without music.... I will be making a much shorter version with music, but for now, sorry if its too long for ya, did my best to clip out the pointless, etc, lol... I just want to share the back and forth conversing and such without the music, because I like to hear the metal on rock and whining of the 10.5:1 of the dual cases.... I guess having the sounds of the journey are partly my favorite, lol....

Hope y'all enjoy it ....

Old 11-21-2013, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Well...I WAS doing homework...but now something far more important has popped up

Old 11-21-2013, 02:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
squeak streeeech vroom WOOT
Old 11-21-2013, 03:30 PM

Whats squeekin on reds runner? Bushings or is it a belt?
Old 11-21-2013, 04:27 PM

It's his TG pump.... They gave him the wrong "something " .. . I'll let him tell you. Something to do with clearance due to the blazeland kit?
Old 11-21-2013, 04:42 PM

What did you air down to Chef? Maybe I went lower, but I swear I had more squish in my KM2's, even when they were on my '83.

By the way, sweet vid Mark, and I know I've already seen/heard yours and Redeth's Runners, but all 3 really do look and sound great!

Last edited by JonnyBoy; 11-21-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab

Well...I WAS doing homework...but now something far more important has popped up

Hehe, I'm sorry man! I know its pretty long but I still enjoyed watching it, so I guess until I get a GoPro we can maybe figure out the Tripod thing in the meantime... It'll have to be whatever we get out of it, lol. Its so hard to focus on spotting and filming, sometimes it's hard to just pay attention to the camera while you're watching. Its all good when you get some great shots and video... But by far the most important thing is to enjoy yourself and come back in one piece, you know what I mean? Very grateful that nobody got hurt or wound up with any major carnage!

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
squeak streeeech vroom WOOT
Hahaha, you always crack me up, buddy! Hope you're doing alright, keep in touch! I might be calling you pretty soon as I have to hit the yard and I need a couple second thoughts on a few things while I'm there. Also, my daughters car is going to stay with her for a while... So now I have to pack that into a very busy next couple months, finding a hood and so forth.

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
What did you air down to Chef? Maybe I went lower, but I swear I had more squish in my KM2's, even when they were on my '83.

By the way, sweet vid Mark, and I know I've already seen/heard yours and Redeth's Runners, but all 3 really do look and sound great!
Hey bud! Well, I went to 12 pounds... They are brand new... Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but also, I noticed a couple points that the way they were rolling, the lower half of the side wall was saying black? Hahaha... I don't know... I could go lower but I really like avoiding popping a bead while up there... Especially considering it was getting dark at 5 o'clock and I knew we were limited on time. I was a little bit of a " let's keep moving " type out there, lol.... But I think they would both agree as to why in the end. The video of my lights at the very end where my compressor is running it was literally pitch black, no moon, and if anything would have happened during our track up, it would be pretty much suck to be stuck on John Bull at any time after dark, especially considering I'm the only one with rock lights or multiple direction light.... My light probably would have been enough, but it's just better to wheel stuff like that during the day. However, I am definitely down for some night wheeling up there in the future... Maybe after winter has faded away.

I'm definitely planning a run to the Rubicon, hopefully within the next year..... We will see...

For now, I really need to wrap up the issue with what I believe is my left/ signal arm for the turn signal and headlights. I did a little video testing a couple circuits, and I'll be posting that up shortly.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread