86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Just catching up on what you have going on. You dont sit still long and looks like a nice clean install. Great job!! My laptop is on its last leg so am saving for a new one so as I can get online more often.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dakotawho
Your gonna look like a light parade out on the trail! Looks great, now come wire me some off road lights... Can't wait to see them in action on a trail.

He does. We finished in the dark and I could see the canyon wall about 150ft away to our left when driving behind. The rock lights are cool too and handy when he aired up in the dark.

I'll have tto get some now.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 11-17-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bbrideau

beat me too it!

Not only do i need to have my shoulder heal and get the rig back together i need to get a passport so i can go on some wheeling adventures south of the border. Always nice to check out what other people call home.
Get better quick, buddy! Can't wait to see you wrenching on the thing! Please let me know if you and your other half for you or whatever plan to come down... I'm sure one of us for all of us hopefully would be able to meet you in try and make sure you have a good time! Just beware, a lot of people come down to that "all four seasons hobby - journey in one day" kind of feel of SoCal.... And they never leave! Lol.

Originally Posted by aviator
I was going to suggest the same thing for the camera phone too...

Got it now Mark... from your original description of the side light switch function it sounded like it was an on-off-on switch [one side at a time] not just an on-off switch [both sides together].

My opinion is that full spectrum light would be the best anti-zombie lighting since that would cover any sub-species differentials that might exist. As a side benefit it is the best for your eyes and provides maximum definition and true colour illumination.
Hahaha. ... Proverbial crack heads for the current plethora of "Undead-Con" level we've gotten to in this zombie loving era, aren't we?!?! Lol.

I wanted to do either or on the rear switches and even separate the top forward facing switch from the light bar on the grill. when dealing with fog, you don't necessarily want a light 9 feet off the ground facing forward. That pretty much makes it worse! Lol. However, I think with this stuff sometimes less is better, but I would like to add that I made it so that is set up in a way that I can add that stuff at any time. Another problem is that I don't have very many locations left foot switches. Up to 87 they had less which is in the dash and not many people had all these options that I have. But, even removing the auctions switches that I have, I still don't have a really clean place to add 2 more of those switches. I am thinking about adding my little push button switches for anything additional... They are very small and look good... But mine are in green, so I'm not sure how that would look. Maybe I should order some red ones. I've also been thinking about doing a 4 wheel drive rocker panel on the A pillar.

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Damn!! Sweet job! Hey, are those factory seats? Also are there only km2 tires on the rear?
Hey now ...... Thanks man! Seats are in fact factory . Two different kinds of covers and I did some repairs on the driver side/ had some welding done as the backrest support on driver side broke... Added foam, etc.... I am having problem with the Pulsar on the side of my left hip by the door. It is like a jagged shard of shrapnel! Lol. I have to completely getting there and cover it or just really really really really re upholster this chair all the way. It looks like I'll be looking into aftermarket ones again as well, because I do believe there has to be something more comfortable with technology and the fact that even bigger guys like me are thought of once in awhile by companies trying to provide a product of people might want. However, more people are skinny now, and they don't have 54 inch & really wide back, so I'm pretty much screwed when it comes to new car seats. I have to hit the yards in a couple days so I'm going to keep my eyes open. I've been reading up and I hear that the Lexus SC 400 seats are extremely comfortable and have very low-profile bolsters. Heard great things about particular Volo seats as well. I might be able to repair my bolsters and actually keep them up and then them out word without replacing removing the bracketry around any... ( only problem with that is that I have plastic involved in that picture, within the bolsters narrowing gear and so forth. Hmm, might have to skip the heat! Lol )

What is a KM 2? Lol.... Just kidding. I'll get to that in a future post, very soon.

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab

That's a good question. I thought he had KM1s on all 4 corners. However, his build thread increases at an exponential rate, so it's hard to keep track
^^^ .... Sup buddy? I'll share in a post real quick ( quick being a relative term, at the moment, as I'm really busy getting caught up with the day that I lost. Haha )

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Just catching up on what you have going on. You dont sit still long and looks like a nice clean install. Great job!! My laptop is on its last leg so am saving for a new one so as I can get online more often.
Appreciate the kind words, Terry!

Originally Posted by Red Wagon

He does. We finished in the dark and I could see the canyon wall about 150ft away to our left when driving behind. The rock lights are cool too and handy when he aired up in the dark.

I'll have tto get some now.
Thanks buddy! I'm glad they were helpful, and I'm really glad I did it. You can vouch for how useful these rock lights would be/were. Was nice to have the air up staging area well lit, etc. More to say in the next post about lots, lol... HAD A GREAT TIME, and it was nothing but a pleasure to meet you and your lovely lady, as it was equally great to have had a day out wheeling. I'm so grateful that you took how many pictures and videos. Awesome of her! Lol... You got a great other half there man... You're definitely blessed. You guys seem very happy together, I'm so glad for you!... I can't wait for my turn to have that again!..... I hope you both had a good time, bud!
Old 11-17-2013, 02:45 PM

Find one that LOVES food. It's gotten me out of trouble and won brownie points. Good all purpose relationship skill. As you are a chef its an advantage you should play up. ;p
Old 11-17-2013, 02:53 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Glad you had a good time, guys!
Sorry about glitch in engine fuse circuit, Mark.
Review what we talked about, I do not think the alarm could take ground from the door ajar switch. If it did, alarm would never make a sound IF door were closed. I think that tap to door ajar switch is a sensing input. When door ajar, switch is closed, grounding that input pin and telling alarm that door was opened, when it was not supposed to be. Looks like this:
Name:  Door_Opened_Signal_zps1ca30a5d.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  31.1 KB

Best way to test siren is to measure voltage between 2 wires across it. May need to strip tiny section of the insulation or prick each wire with pin. Use pins as test probes. Seal pin holes when done.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Glad you had a good time, guys!
Sorry about glitch in engine fuse circuit, Mark.
Review what we talked about, I do not think the alarm could take ground from the door ajar switch. If it did, alarm would never make a sound IF door were closed. I think that tap to door ajar switch is a sensing input. When door ajar, switch is closed, grounding that input pin and telling alarm that door was opened, when it was not supposed to be. Looks like this:

Best way to test siren is to measure voltage between 2 wires across it. May need to strip tiny section of the insulation or prick each wire with pin. Use pins as test probes. Seal pin holes when done.
I first one to say before anything else that I am so grateful to you, buddy! Guys, this guy helped me on the phone for hours, well I tried to, with his help, pinpoint where my problem is coming from. What basically happened was I turned my right signal to get over as some a***** was about 2 inches from my bumper coming up to 330 highway which is terribly dangerous... As I put on my right turn signal, and proceeded to get over the very first click of the signal blew out the engine fuse and the kick panel on the driver side, and along with that with my charging system( as my buddy about here will tell you, and electrical guru you should listen to him, Toyota were morons designing this the way they did. If you're flasher relay goes out or that system is interested in any way, it blows engine fuse, which means if you have a short in your turn signals or anything like that, you could be driving along for miles and not realize that you're running completely off the battery.)

I spent a few hours once I arrive in the parking lot of the Honey Bear Lodge, digging into my electrical system and some of the stuff that I've just done trying to determine whether I caused this or what. In the process of going through things I noticed that my alarm was not working properly. At one point, it wouldn't do anything at all... Another point the LED indicator on the dash for the alarm with light up, but it would never go off, even when the alarm off switch is activated from the remote and the doors unlocked and the lights flash. Another point it didn't go off... Another point the door locks and the parking lights didn't work. One thing for certain, the siren is not working at all and are there my alarm is blown and possibly caused this issue, or I caused the issue that blew my alarm, etc. The possibilities are narrowing down, thanks to Rad!

I will lay out, in a video, everything I'm going to do, everything of testing, how to remove that stupid ass flasher relay in the kick panel( I literally ended up with a ring my finger from having to mess with that thing for so long to get it out. Yes, I know where the tabs are, but in Toyota's brilliance, they designed it in a way that makes it almost impossible to get the damn thing out and talk you have it some of the way out and then full of words on the retainer clip which allows it all of the way out. I'll explain in the radio. Also explain how to test some of the circuits and how to remove things from the picture to eliminate your problem. Well I tested the grounds and fuse block circuits, we came to a conclusion that I have way too little resistance in a couple of them. As we tested the engine few circuit, then disconnected something, the resistance would change slightly. It never seemed to go up when it should and never read 0 when it should on a couple other instances. Its very possible that I have an issue inside the steering column, as turning on the signal is what caused the engine fuse to blow. Obviously, I may have something grounding that's only activated and causes that short, once I send that power through that flasher relay or whatever is tied to the engine fuse circuit.

More to come, gotta run!

PS: I have to figure out where the alarm installer tied in for everything.... I also wanted to mention though, that when I turn my steering wheel lately its squeaking a lot. It could very well be in the column, my problem... I am just wondering if anyone has experience this weekend if you and what it was. I'm assuming it's just something rubbing on the plastic.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the steering wheel noise could be the horn button. mine did this at times. i just removed the center steering wheel cover and cleaned the horn button and threw some grease on it. might be what you have.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
the steering wheel noise could be the horn button. mine did this at times. i just removed the center steering wheel cover and cleaned the horn button and threw some grease on it. might be what you have.
Hmmmm, cool tip, Thanks buddy!

Its been doing it off and on for a little while but really got worse during the trip. My horn is always been hit or miss. Funny thing is it seems to give me more problems on the key is not switched to the on position. However, working the horn while the engine is off in your park is not really a common thing... So, I guess I will have to get in there and start digging and cleaning up... The covers have to come off anyway in order to see if the alarm installer tied into anything with inside wiring. I'm not saying that I've done nothing to cause this, and yet more than nine times out of ten on average, the problems I end up having right after doing some work more often wind up being completely coincidence rather than being related to said work.

I've been talking to RAD4Runner.... He's helping me to come up with a plan of attack and a number of things to try in order to do a proper process of elimination. P.O.E. ..... By far the most important portion of detecting and eliminating electrical issues especially. He has definitely helped me to get a much better grasp of the schematic, certain moronic setups the Toyota decided to do( many of which they have obviously fixed only a couple years after my model).... , like tying the turn signals and other inconsequential items in regards to critical operation of the vehicle..., to where? The freaking engine fuse circuit! I know I mentioned this, but I think it bears repeating, especially considering we could be running around on phone off road trip 22 miles out in the valley to visit the hot springs... And poof, suddenly, my battery is not being charged by the alternator, all because my flasher relay went out, or some other item within the circuit caused the "Engine" fuse to blow.... Duh! Haha.

Another tip? If you all, like most people, have no interest in breaking down, anywhere!?!... Always carry extra fuses with you. Luckily, I have about a hundred in a bag from the pick your part yards. I also carry a spare 80 amp fusible link, my maintenance replacement TPS , radiator repair Liquid Metal, J.B. Kwik weld, a single replacement headlight, several bits of wire and various connectors, electrical tape and heat shrink, a spare coil, my original set denso spark plug wires which are still working perfectly fine, amongst several other things... How darn lame is that to be broke down in the middle of nowhere without any hope of getting mobile again, all because of having no 5 dollar bag of assorted fuses? I'll tell you,... It's very lame! Haha.

There are several things that I'm wanting either upgrade or just straight out replace, within the electrical system.... I will be doing them, regardless of whether or not I have to pull the alarm system . All kinds of things are going to be checked, but one thing is for sure... I think it is absolutely necessary that I take the truck to the alarm installer and insist that he shows me exactly what you did in hooking up my system. It could very well just be something went bad... But, if its something within his wiring, then I want to find out.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Awesome and thanks for the info on the seats. Good luck fixing the electrical problemos.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not the steering column cover. the center steering wheel cover (the pad you press down to activate the horn) its just a small screw on the bottom and the cover comes off.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I've been talking to RAD4Runner.... He's helping me to come up with a plan of attack and a number of things to try in order to do a proper process of elimination. P.O.E. ..... By far the most important portion of detecting and eliminating electrical issues especially. He has definitely helped me to get a much better grasp of the schematic, certain moronic setups the Toyota decided to do( many of which they have obviously fixed only a couple years after my model).... , like tying the turn signals and other inconsequential items in regards to critical operation of the vehicle..., to where? The freaking engine fuse circuit!
The man is a genius for sure! Incredibly nice too! He came to the house after being on the phone with you Friday night and was telling me about this problem with your engine fuse. I hope everything works out with your truck man.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:03 AM

Thanks, guys! Always a pleasure to help and learn

One more simple but very probable cause of engine fuse blowing is shorting the back-up light switch to tranny (discussed here)

Mark,
According to schematic charge error light should have lit up, because engine fuse provides IG current, and charge light positive side comes from Ignition and not Engine fuse- did Toyota electrical engineers get lucky on that part? - LOL!. Did it? (I forgot to ask you.)
Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM

Teaser of Big Bear... LOTS more coming!

Name:  BigBearAndrewsPics112.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  7.67 MB

Name:  20131116_110722.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  2.84 MB
Old 11-18-2013, 05:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome pics! Ruby sure does flex! Looks like you guys had a really good time, can't wait to see some more pics! I envy you guy's and your nice California weather, it's snowed twice at my house already, and my driveway is so muddy I can't keep my 4runner clean if I tried, lol.

Last edited by rustED; 11-18-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by chefyota4x4
teaser of big bear...
FREAKIN' SHOW-OFF! Lol!

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Awesome pics! Ruby sure does flex!
Yep, she sure does! Sexy!

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 11-18-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 PM

We will have to put up three in a row. We all got some sweet poser shots.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:44 PM

Red Wagon sporting his sweet blaze land kit....

Name:  BigBearAndrewsPics127.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  7.21 MB

Chefyota4x4....

Name:  BigBearAndrewsPics112.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  7.67 MB

Redeth....

Name:  BigBearAndrewsPics093.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  6.00 MB

There ya go, Red, lol.... I only abstained from posting more at the moment because I was going to do them all each of us individually, and three separate sections. Same with the video, saying your name and then showing that beast through all that stuff... Then Richard, then myself...

Hope you have a safe journey, my friend! Say hi to the Mrs as well!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't tease us Chef....your fans are waiting for pics and vids!

Looks like you guys had a blast. 3 nice runners.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux
Don't tease us Chef....your fans are waiting for pics and vids!

Looks like you guys had a blast. 3 nice runners.
Absolutely, Man.
Upload NOW! LOL!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:58 PM

Name:  z8BigBear.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  42.3 KB

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread