86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
...PS> YES, I would love to have some under the dash.... and also, I'm going to do my door lights, too... the ones with the white on bottom and red on top? I think they're called "HEY, GUY, approaching from behind....DON'T SLAM INTO MY DOOR!"/LIGHTS! lol
i want to add those, too. if nothing else, to look cool
Old 11-14-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ian, you have those stock, don't you? Know the ones I'm talking about that I have? Marker lights? OH heck, I don't know.... anyway, I want more BRIGHTERER Cab Syndrome! LOL.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:11 PM

do you mean one of these?

these ain't stock, i want to add some

or do you mean one of these?

these are stock, i have one, i want to upgrade
Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
chef, the lights your referring to are called "courtesy lights"...

used to light the ground for your passenger and you, & to lt others know your door was open...

and as for the quality issues, Oznium doesnt make a whole lot IN HOUSE... they order from a chinese comapny... i guess they dont feed their slaves enough... but, really, with a no questions asked policy, its pretty much a nonissue with the led problems...

P.S. its a good way to get extra products too, if you wanna be scheisty... had a buddy order one for his car, call em up, told them it was bad, they sent out another and he gave that one to my other friend...

Last edited by space-junk; 11-14-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by irab88
do you mean one of these?

these ain't stock, i want to add some
my '90 4Runner SR5 Came with them... they were an OPTION... a $75 option IIRC...
Old 11-14-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
my '90 4Runner SR5 Came with them... they were an OPTION... a $75 option IIRC...
you wouldn't happen to have a picture, would you?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:04 PM

The first pic, Ian.... yeah, those. But on my 87, they're further up and in. I'll get a pic for ya, sure. .... Not sure it would look right on your year though, lol....but maybe. Actually, I think it's in a good place, and actually lights some of the cab instead of being so far back on the door. Those are NICE though! ... those pics from your truck, Ian?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 PM

ha, no. too lazy to go out and take pics, so i just found some on the interweb
Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM

This is impossible to get the actual light in the cab with a point and shoot with flash off... I need to do it with my canon to adjust till it looks just like to the eye....but that's too much trouble! lol... trust me, IT AINT that light, and it's hardly lighting up the rear...amazing how cameras alter things, hahaha.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Chef,

I like the lights and Downey bar! They look great on top, but if you are worried about them being too high then maybe you could mount them upside down? That is how I put my KC daylighters on my 2000 tacoma's Downey bar. Looked pretty good IMO! Any starndard 4 pin 40 amp relay should work fine for those lights, you can get them for $5 or so ant any auto parts store.
Hey Rob, ...thanks for the input on this post. I can't mount them upside down...they're too big. 8" lights might just be too much, maybe? I'm just wondering, are these lights probably a bit brighter than the 6" ones? They're REALLY blinding bright, but I'd trade them or something for 6" if someone wants to, ...something like that, ya know?

PS> Do I need 2 relays, one for each light?(since they're so high output and high draw of power). Or, just one relay with them routed through? Sorry, i'ma read back and see, I think someone put a diagram up. And, the kit for lights at Pep Boys is like 24$ I think(wiring, relay harness, etc.) Sound right?

PSS> I think that upside down they would block my license plate, too..

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-15-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
1 40 amp relay should be fine, I would not use anythin smaller that a 40 amp.

I was using 6" KC daylighters and they fit perfect, I guess you 8" lights would prob be too large to mount upside down.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 11-15-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:03 PM

So....should I just plan to mount them on the roof or trade, and just mount 6" lights on here? Like a kit? I think the 6" would not come up past the hood at all... These 8" do a lil... not much, but a lil. I thought I read on some law stat thread that the centers of the off road lights can't be higher than the centers of the headlights... is that so? Sorry, just don't want to be pulled over for something I missed. If it's legal, then I don't have to worry about it, ya know?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:18 PM

If I may be honest Mark, I think that some 6" lights might look just a tad better, do you have anyone willing to trade or would you have to find somebody? If it would be a pain to trade them off then I would just keep them. I am not fimliar with the laws in California, but I know they can be somewhat hhmmm................. picky lets say, but I highly doubt that Downey would have made the bars with light tabs on the top if they where not legal. You might need to check your local laws.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:15 PM

Yeah, thanks Rob, I hear ya. I'm going to either keep them and mount em on top some day, or sell them and get some 6" kit. Time to figure out which is the best quality for the best price, ya know? I've seen 200 different opinions on that one, lol... KC, DC, Warn, Hella, Lightforce, etc., etc., hahaha. I'ma just find a good sale. PS> what do you think of the new KC Super Bright 5x7 Lights? http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orus...dproduct=22278 ....... Seems like a good enough price for the whole shebang.... just not sure if I like the look better than the round ones. These 8" ones are like INSANE bright... and while that's often useful, ....for me? nahhhhh, lol.

thanks for the input, Rob, as usual. Any thoughts on which is the best kit for the buck? I don't wanna think about it too much, ...just don't want any ones that people think are crappy quality with a name brand, etc., ya know?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:41 PM

I have personal experience with KC & Hella, They where both nice but I prefer the KC lights. If it was me I would put your 8" lights on and wire them up, If you decide to switch to smaller ones down the road, it would be an easy swap since all of the wiring would already be done.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:01 PM

Yeah, you're right... i HEAR ya, loud and clear.... and DANG, I could light up the whole Campground when I have to find something at night! hahaha. Well, I go into the woods a bit, usually...so it's always been nice to have them, when I did. Rigs always came with them, ya know? Never had to install them. Really fun learning all this stuff, and learning HOW TO DO IT RIGHT, the first time... Unlike SO MANY of the projects or repairs the PO of my truck did! lol. At least he kept it clean, right? lol.

Thanks Rob, I'm gonna try that out. Should I just get the kit I mentioned? Pep Boys dual light wiring kit? Just get the one with at least a 40AMP fuse, right? OH YEAH... and I got an email back from this place telling me they not only didn't have the kit, but the locks, either.... Can't I get those at Auto Parts stores, too? Or are they special, like 4wheelparts?
Old 11-16-2010, 04:20 AM

I wouldn't buy the kit personally, you could buy everything seperately for less $$ and build a better harness yourself. sometimes those kits have some chessy componets. I like to really take my time wiring things like this in and solider / shrink-wrap everything instead of using crimp connectors that will come with the kit. Have you seen the weather proof terminals? They are crimp on but they have shrink wrap and glue built in so you can melt the jacket and seal off the wire instead of the hard plastic jackets. They are a little pricey compared to the regular connectors but work very nice. All you would need is a handfull of female spade's to plug into relay and switch. Do you have a switch picked out? I like going to radio shack or similar place to pick a switch that will look and fit right in my truck.

Lets see, to piece a kit together you will need

1) switch - 3 leg's
2) 4 colors of wire - red, black, white & your choice for the last color
3) 40 amp relay
4) female spade conectors
5) solider & solidering iron
6) shrink wrap tubes
7) pre-slit wire wrap plastic stuff
8) zip-ties

I might be forgetting something but that should get you goining. I could draw you out a wiring diagram if you need me too bud!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:26 AM

i posted this on brian's build, same thing, though. and to add to your list: crimpers, if you don't already. something like this

Old 11-16-2010, 04:31 AM

Nice diagram!

Oohh and I forgot about strippers! yeah I said it STRIPPERS, STRIPPERS, STRIPPERS....maybe a blonde one??
Old 11-16-2010, 08:58 AM

Hahaha, ....Thanks, guys! "Robert 'Middle Name' 'Last Name'!!!!!.... STRIPPERS? Young mannnnnnn, you're on a time out!" hahahahahahaha. jk....

Ok, well, I have quite a bit of wire and 3 pairs of that very style crimp/strip/butt/etc. pliers, solder, iron, zip ties... so I'm good on that. I even have around 6 Feet of plastic, organizing split loom.

Far as the Relay... You said a 4 prong, Rob, right? Are there 'TYPES'? Meaning, 'Switched', etc.? Or do they not work that way. Just wanna know what I'm asking for. And where to get said relay? Any parts store, or again, Radio shack? Home Depot? hahaha. I have that heater/AC relay I got at the yard....I'm guessing that wouldn't work, lol.

Far as the switch, I don't have one picked out, no. I saw some really nice ones at Pep-Boys, ....they have MANY, including KC brand, etc....but I'm guessing that is just a waste of money. I could go to radio shack.... and I'm going to put it in the bezel above(?) the radio where there is a cut out piece that I just have to pop out.

KILLER diagram, Ian.... I'm pretty decent with the wiring, just not so much GREAT with electrical, just yet...but I'm learning, quickly. That's a REALLY clean diagram... thanks!

OH, and what fuse? I saw some big ones at Pep-Boys, ....they look like an old glass tube type and metal on each end,...just much more fat! I guess having one of the 2 prong that Plugs into a coverable boot/plug? And how big a fuse... 40AMP on that, too?

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread