86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, the Honda is pretty much ready to pick up. Sealed up as well as I can get it, I left it running for about 30 minutes and eventually I found the leak but I think its the source of most of the oil... It is the dipstick tube! That means eventually it would be a good idea to completely disassemble or really soak the baffles and everything in the valve cover. I've heard Hondas have problems with blow by because of that. It also looks like its leaking from the rear main seal. Its not major, but eventually I guess it could become that way. For now after 30 minutes I got one drop on the ground. That's a hell of a lot better than what it had before I got a hold of it. Front seal is good to go and oilpan and valve cover job seem to be holding up 100 percent. Rear brakes completely restored... And in spite of how pissed off I was at how dirty it was inside, I went ahead and detail it as best as I could with the time that I had,nd it came out pretty nice! I did not shampoo the seats or anything, but I scrub the couple stains and I cleaned all of the vinyl and dash... Guys, I'm embarrassed. I was so embarrassed I didn't even take pictures of the before condition:. I use Simple Green and I literally completely black and two rags! What was she thinking buying a cream colored interior? Lol.

With the new steering pump I cannot believe how incredibly easy the steering is. Its like pinky effort at a full stop! It doesn't seem to be leaking... Brand new remanufactured pumps often have a little bit of weeping at first until the seals heat up and expand. I just wanted to throw that out there for people that didn't know. It's always best to give it a day or so and see if what little bit of weeping you see stops. I flushed it completely and re filled with Honda steering fluid, but it really well and I think it should be good to go for as long as she owns it.

I was getting pretty pissed off, to be honest... This is not my thing, but I think it's a good thing to know her car in case something comes up, & I feel I could do pretty much anything on the motor now, granting I have SST needed for whatever job. I was told that in 94 they change the engine to matically and it became a lot easier to work on the timing kit and so forth. They have definitely made a lot of changes by the time they got to my 2003 CRV. That thing has so much room to work on anything and they changed the motor mount setup so dramatically from this one.... I know, "Duhhhhh", haha. I'm amazed how much easier the timing kit on the 87 Slant Camry motor was!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ya could pull the dip tube an apply a smear of pematex around it an stick it back in to seal the leak mark i have known other engines that the tubes loose an allows a leak

carb cleaner through the PVC valve to make sure its clean an rattling
Old 10-24-2013, 09:58 AM

Hey there, señor Will! Lol... I hope you're doing well man, or at least plugging along as best as you can!

Well, I did try to clean it up but I just couldn't stomach wasting another 4.1 quarts of oil just to clean up to... What I mean is I would really have to of cleaned that thoroughly and spotless like new before I put any type of sealant in it. And even then, blow by would find a way out somewhere. I guess I would rather have it come up there then through the Rings. It seems to run perfect and has no smell or anything from the exhaust. Little bit of a low idle when fully warm, but that seems to have gotten better since I repaired everything. Maybe the timing could use a fresh check now. Lol

PCV is new and I checked it. I kept the spare because it's perfectly fine as well. I just figured I should change it since it hasn't been done in a long time. Remember, I also changed the PCV grommet as it was leaking like a total pig from the valve cover. That has sealed up completely now, and I think as I let it run a little longer, the dipstick is leaking less now. Hardly at all. I had it I told to me for a pretty good master mechanic he has found the compression was perfect and everything in the top and the bottom and across the board with working fine, no oil consumption, and yet he was still finding those Hondas even in the early 90's when he was just getting them in and around 160,000 miles and so, would get the blow by due to the baffles in the valve cover becoming clogged. I think that does make perfect sense, that if the crankcase needs to bed late it's going to be away from somewhere, and if it can't even get to the PCV valve with enough volume, it's going to find another way. However, I did clean the valve cover very well and thoroughly flushed out through the baffles with brake cleaner and even soaked it in purple power. And then flush it again with brake cleaner and a lot of forced air. Maybe it helped a little bit I don't know. Obviously the best things to do is the hot tank the thing.... That's not going to happen in the near future. If she leaks a quart every two months I would be shocked. That's how little it leaks now. I just hope it stays that way.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-24-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow Mark... glad to hear you got the car all back together... Looks like you had a lot of fun at the pumpkin patch... I think you'd better start saving for Abby's pony Grandpa...

I was so sorry to hear of the loss of the young girl, it's going to take a while for everyone to recover but they'll get there with the love and support of those around them.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:44 AM

Man o Man, been to long since i have read up on the yotatech shenanigans! You have probably 100 new pages since i was last on here. Last time i read through was when you first got the rig back from the SAS work. Hope all is well Mark! I will be back into my rig as soon as i get all clear from my surgeon on my shoulder.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:38 PM

Thanx Paul, Brandon.... glad as always to hear from ya all!

Cutting it short..... I have another bad earache!
Old 10-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I got a laugh when I seen your cheater bar and its extention. It reminded me of the first time I tried to break the crank bolt loose on my first 22re. I had every bit of 5 foot extention, drive shaft chained down, in gear, tires blocked, and anything else I could think of to break the thing loose.

Glad to see you got the Honda back together.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I got a laugh when I seen your cheater bar and its extention. It reminded me of the first time I tried to break the crank bolt loose on my first 22re. I had every bit of 5 foot extention, drive shaft chained down, in gear, tires blocked, and anything else I could think of to break the thing loose.

Glad to see you got the Honda back together.
Thanx, Terry!

Yeah, "BEAR" is not a sufficient proverbial animal representation of the fight I had with that crank bolt! ....Leviathan, or maybe Wooly Mammoth? Lol...
Old 10-26-2013, 02:02 PM

I just returned from the funeral of our dear family friend, Kelsey Faith Potts.... 13 years old...

Name:  20131026_104424.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  1.91 MB

Her friends made and then handed these buttons out at the door of our church, as we went in for the service.

She was an amazing lil young lady, and she had done multiple missions trips to impoverished regions, and even in our own community, she deeply touched the lives of so many people. HUNDREDS of people showed up to mourn her passing and celebrate what was her far too short, yet amazing life.....

Name:  20131026_105032_67.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  111.6 KB

Name:  20131026_105032_6432.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  116.3 KB

I am deeply saddened by this, as she so often entered my mind, when thinking of my niece or just of a great example of a humble and faith filled and servant minded human being. It's such a tremendous loss!

Immeasurably more important than me, her parents, 2 brothers and 2 sisters, dozens of relatives and my niece(and all my sisters family).... they are so strong, but so broken hearted.... PLEASE keep them in your thoughts prayers?!?!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-26-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Mark, Im wanting to run better front shocks on my ifs and i researched your thread for awhile but couldnt find what ome shocks you were running...you have 101 pages long

Anyways the pro comps i have suck. Im running 1.5 spacers. By the way if you have a good source for these type of ome shocks would be helpful, i keep running into heap stuff and old landcruiser ome parts when i google it.

Thanks for the help, im sorry for the loss of your freind, way to young to go away so soon.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the thoughts, Husker...

Those shocks I got were through rockyroadoutfitters.com ... That site, simply by putting them in your cart, provides you with the part number... I've had to do that a couple times since that original purchase, just too get the number for people. Once you have it you can simply call 4wheelparts.com .... Then pick them up in store if you have one near you.(ARB SELLS parts at 4 Wheel Parts now, and obviously they own Old Man Emu. That's how I got my springs for the rear)... If not you can have them ship them . I don't want to bad mouth anyone, but rocky road Outfitters was awful as far as customer service and prompt shipping. It had been nearly 30 days before I finally demanded, either my money back, or that they came up with a solution. Someone suggested I call ARB, which I did, and got a hold of what are the main guys there at ARB - USA .... They drop shipped the shocks for me that day and I got them within 24 hours. The reason you wait so long for people like rocky road Outfitters is because they are not going to accept shipment of Old Man Emu or from another company until they have enough to justify a full pallet shipment. And then they have to ship them to you. Shipping one product at a time just kills their profit, so I totally understand why they do it that way... I just can't afford to wait. I ended up paying a few more dollars for a dropship fee, but it was worth every penny.....

..... This is where the story became funny... Kind of! Lol. ARB sent shocks with the last two numbers inverted, in other words sending me the wrong shock which was for the rear of a 3rd gen 4runner. I called them and ast do I need to ship these back and when can I get the other ones... He said he had them in stock you would ship them today and didn't even require that I return the other ones. I've been nothing but completely satisfied with dealing with ARB! I actually got those wrong shocks to fit and ran them for a couple thousand miles before I realized something was wrong. They just seemed off to me. My shock and suspension travel in general was limited. I slept in the other ones I have to say I was very pleased with those. The piston shaft diameter was unbelievably sick, it seems to be at least twice as thick as any other shock that I've seen. I'm thinking about grabbing one of their stabilizers... Just thinking about it at this point. Lol
Old 10-27-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
far too young to have passed on
Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
far too young to have passed on
Indeed...
Old 10-27-2013, 12:09 PM

Well, I'm going to be getting on with a few planned projects, soon.

1. Ceramic Connector/Headlight wiring harness (I might be gifted some Hella H4 carriers and Silverstar 5000K Bulbs....If not, I'll run my Silverstar sealed beams til they croak, lol)

2. 130A 3wire beefed stator Denso - drop in alternator with 4AWG added primary charge wire.

3. Roof rack light-etc project

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-27-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
HOLY CRAP THATS ONE HELL OF A BREAKER BAR LOL

Just getting caught up on some threads. Sorry to hear about your guys's loss. She looked so young. I hate seeing youngsters pass away like that. A dear friend of mine(faby's older sis) passed away at 19yo. She had her whole life ahead of her.

Thanks for meeting with me on friday Mark. Always nice to chat with ya for a few hours. Those lights are gonna suit my truck very nicely.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:42 PM

Yep, MONGO-BREAKER! Lol
I hate it too, the loss. Been a very sad week, and I cant imagine the parents/4 siblings and huge family! WOW, I feel so horrible for them! ....

Was great to see you too, Richard. Faby too! She's so funny. Lol
Old 10-27-2013, 03:38 PM

lord is has been awhile off of here, mark did an SAS?!?!?! what en the world else have I missed?!?! I need another yota.....
Old 10-27-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greatly appreciated for the info Mark. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:19 AM

Hey,, I finally caught back up.
The dunes look like a lot of fun...we don't have anything like that in VA least I haven't found it yet.
Also liking all this fancy battery/alternator stuff!
You do such clean work, keep it up! and Thanks for chiming in on my thread and PM's from time to time, helps a lot
Old 10-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by westjohns yota
lord is has been awhile off of here, mark did an SAS?!?!?! what en the world else have I missed?!?! I need another yota.....
Yes you need another toyota...I almost edit you signature to remove that chevy crap

My tow rig is a dodge

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread