86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Chef, I have no real input on your washer fluid button thingy, seems to me that you are correct in saying that you might be missing a spring? I tell you what though, I MIGHT be able to slip outside this afternoon and take mine apart to get you a pic. Wife does have somw plans for me this afternoon,lol.

As far as the horn goes, I would think that it should be tootin if you ran power to it. It's an air horn? meaning you ran power to the air compressor? Does the compresor run? Could be an air line maybe? Cheapest way to get it working again is to grab a horn at the yard and wire it up, I wired in a horn out of a ford van, had to add a relay but it work perfectly now. See page 23 of my build thread, post number 557.

I like the lights and Downey bar! They look great on top, but if you are worried about them being too high then maybe you could mount them upside down? That is how I put my KC daylighters on my 2000 tacoma's Downey bar. Looked pretty good IMO! Any starndard 4 pin 40 amp relay should work fine for those lights, you can get them for $5 or so ant any auto parts store.

Good luck getting the issues resolved, and happy hunting at the pick & pull! I'll check back when I get off work & see if you need me to pull my washer button apart, Have a good one bud!

Last edited by yotarob2005; 11-13-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:38 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby_duce
remember chef if you get it i want pictures!!
you pic whore!

(i want pics, too)
Old 11-13-2010, 08:50 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by irab88
you pic whore!

(i want pics, too)
beacuse pictures are better than a bunch on letters that you have to read!
Old 11-13-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by bobby_duce
beacuse pictures are better than a bunch on letters that you have to read!
x2 hahahahaha!
Old 11-13-2010, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks awesome with the lights on the bar man. I was about to mount two lights to my bumper, now you've got me re-thinking it.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahaha, you guys are hilarious! lol... I logged in and scrolled up and thought, "WOW, I was sure this would get NO responses", hahaha.

Thanks Yotafisher, Bobby, Ian... and ROB, thanks man... I have a cool update, unfortunately someone bought the truck who went to see it before me. It happens. But, I DID GO to Pick-U-Part and SCORED! lol... ok, nothing insane like 4.56's or anything, ..... but FOR ME?.... was a pretty good haul... Next post.... pics and video! lol.....
Old 11-13-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I DID GO to Pick-U-Part and SCORED! lol... ok, nothing insane like 4.56's or anything, ..... but FOR ME?.... was a pretty good haul... Next post.... pics and video! lol.....
Hurry up man!!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:22 PM

My haul at Pick-U-Parts in Wilmington, CA, today....

Couple video's of a 3 way win for the day! hahaha.... (and a pic of the Extra Tow Hook, installed tonight!

The hook... NOW I GOT'S 2,....that can't be bad, right? lol....

Total for all the goodies in the first pic? ......10$! hahaha, .. they were closing when I finally got outta there, so the guy said, "Ahhhhh, just give me 10$"... I said, "REALLY?" to which he responded.... "Why, wanna pay more? That's fine too " hahaha. Funny guy. I stayed from 11am to around 4pm because where I found some of the parts was off an 87 Turbo SR5 4Runner ...a guy was really having some trouble getting some things out of it, so I thought, WHY NOT, let's do this! DANG it was warm today... around 85* or so at the yard, all day! lol. LOVED IT! Lil dehydrating though.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-15-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:31 PM

OH, PS> YES, that's a 91 Heater control Valve, Rob! Hope it works... don't see why not, it's a simple lever valve! lol. It's in PERFECT shape, not messed up at all!

The fusible link thing I pulled, that's cuz I wanna redo mine with 6gauge wire and thought... well, this one is better than mine, and I can use that plate to weld on a bigger hoop for bigger wire, remove the other one completely, including the fastened crimp portion... and I'll be good to go! Plus, it has the 80A fuse in it...which I remember wasn't free, either, lol. The horn works REALLY well, and I soldered and heat shrunk it all in there completely tight....

And rob, you were right, as I said in the video above... IT WAS a stupid lil spring! lol.... Surprised at how simple it is and how easily it just falls out if you pull the end cap off. STUPID design...but practical and sturdy once you get it on, I guess. lol.

The dome light with connector is from a 91, but looks THE SAME as mine, and I'm going to put it in the rear window washer motor housing, and have constant power to it for the rear area with an LED Strip of 48(doing the same for the front, if I can find that dang site again! GRRRR< lol.

The relay right above the heater/ac fuses that are in the cab inside the dash. That aint free, either, right? lol... Not sure I need it, but figured, WHY NOT, ... I might just blow it one day. I've already had to do the COR, and I GOT THAT TOO, ...just not in the pic.

Oh well, like I said, it wasn't much, but to me, it was GREAT! lol... FINALLY got my washer fluid going and got a toyota horn now! THING IS LOUD! lol OH, that horn is from the 87 Turbo.... I wonder if that makes it louder? lol.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:37 PM

Nice Mark, that is 2 problems solved in 1 day, all for just $10? I consider that a win!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:41 PM

Thanks Rob.... and good find on the heater control valve, eh? I almost forgot I wanted that, haaha... I only went there for the Horn and Button..... so yeah, I was happy. And I'm going back Monday to an even bigger one right up the street! Need anything guys? Let me know... i'll try my best and I can't say I'll get a deal like that again...but I'ma try, yeah? lol. There is this mexican guy who goes and takes all the gears out of them the minute they come in... He pretty much stays there every day, then goes and sells them on line. GRRR! He got the 4.56's out of that 87 Runner, then said, "Why you want em?" To which I responded... "GET AWAY FROM ME!" HAHAHA. Jk, I didn't. Good for him, he's probably making a killing, ya know?
Old 11-14-2010, 05:17 AM

wow... nice score at the p-n-p!

and how come your wipers are so much faster than mine?
Old 11-14-2010, 05:22 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
My haul at Pick-U-Parts in Wilmington, CA, today....

Nice pickins!

Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 AM

Hey Ian, Scoob, thanks. I really am stoked to be putting all the lil bugs IN THE GRAVE, lol. I'm heading back, either today or within the next few, and like I said, ...if anyone wants something and will pay for it and shipping, FOR SURE!(LOL....sorry, I really gotta be frugal, haha)...I'd be glad to try and find it there.

Not sure, Ian, regarding the wipers... Maybe I put em on high on accident? lol. Could be just a different year thing?
Old 11-14-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
I posted this link in my build also but want to be sure you saw it.

Very interesting opinions on diff drops! I haven't decided how I feel about it yet but this is worth a quick read. Check it out Mark.

http://tacomaoffroad.com/threads/395-Diff-mount
GREAT, now I have more conflicting information to give me brain aneurysms! Hahaha. Just kidding, Rob... I appreciate the link and it was a good read. More taco related, which I guess, from what I've heard, can be a lil less 'tough' than these older ones...with a lil more travel but more chance of 'ISSUES'???

What would you do, or have you decided to do, I should ask, Rob? I don't want to put something in like the Diff Drop if it's going to cause me issues, but then again, I'm not sure the angles, risks are the same with our old beauties, ya know? Could you fill me in on what you learned from that thread? I'm glad I read it, honest... just not sure what to make of it in regards to my plans, hahahahaha.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:09 PM

Hey Guys.... I'm shopping for LED Dome lights or maybe the Xenon Festoon. Thought maybe some of you could discuss this with me and figure out the bar-none/brightest/widest range of coverage/safest on voltage option.(I know, the LED"s use VERY LITTLE voltage... I mean in comparison to the xenon, etc?)

I noticed that on- http://autolumination.com/festoon.htm -, almost to the bottom, the 48 LED Ultra Bright Flux kit should fit. I'm going to measure... 38MM x 38MM x 4MM-thick. I need to figure out if it would fit in my dome light housing. I also don't see the 'Chip' amount.

Oznium, http://www.oznium.com/led-domelight , seems to brag on the fact that they use 4chip lighting. They offer 16 or 25 LED array with 4chip format. Wondering what that means, but figure it means it's brighter? lol. Reading the comments on it and also MaK's thread, It sure looks and is commented on as 'very bright'... but also in the comments, I noticed many people saying one didn't work or the ground was missing, etc... "GREAT customer service, they replaced it right away!".... So I guess I wouldn't mind waiting for another set if one I got didn't work right, which- that's probably unlikely... But I really wanna know if they're brighter than autolumination.com's lights.

Also wondering if the panels are in fact the brightest/covering the most area light available. As much of you know, the 80's 4Runners light angles forward, and leaves much to be desired for the lighing of the rear seats and bed....So, I'm going to install that Junk Yard twin to my dome, in the rear. Instead of on the rear window washer motor housing, I'm thiking of doing it right above the back seat passengers area...that will light up the rear, just fine, even when camping with the back seats down. I'll also be replacing the rear light by the bed as well, with a Xenon or small panel of 16led's, something like that

So just trying to get opinions before I order, that's all.

Thanks for your input, and OH YEAH... I got to use my horn today on someone! lol... SO GREAT having a horn back, ya know? hahaha.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 PM

hey mark, make sure you take pics and post links! i might do this later...

my 2 cents: go all led. reasons being heat and directional light output. xenons put light out in all directions, reducing efficiency. also, they generate quite a bit of heat, which could be an issue for the small plastic housing. again, just my opinion, but hope i can help!
Old 11-14-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Oznium is the company that all my buddies in the import world here in sac use... Awesome customer service... plus Oznium also goes to import shows and sets up booths to display and show off their products... the guys are really knowledgeable and are willing to help you no questions asked...

if your looking for a nice upgrade too, order some white cathode bars (12") and put them under the dash in your truck... its REALLY nice to have bright white light to find the little things you drop on the ground while your wheeling or just everyday driving...
Old 11-14-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
if your looking for a nice upgrade too, order some white cathode bars (12") and put them under the dash in your truck... its REALLY nice to have bright white light to find the little things you drop on the ground while your wheeling or just everyday driving...
i forgot about those! x2 on the ccfl's. might be my next mod
Old 11-14-2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks, Space, Ian!

I tried the Pep-Boys ones that have like 12-20 LED's, and I should have compared... they were brighter, but NOT wide area covering. They seemed to light like a flashlight. REALLY bright but REALLY one directional.

The Autozone ones have 36 or something, and they're nice color, etc., but I took them in the Bathroom in there, with the lights off, and they had a much wider range of lighting, ...but not as bright! hahahaa.

Is Oznium working out the kinks with the burnt out issues, etc.? (and, the soldering issues are with the board, right?)

Not trying to make a huge deal out of it,....but this stuff adds up. While I want upgrades, i want them to work, the first time, if possible, and for 80$ or so for all that I need in the rig,..... I just want to plug and USE, ya know?

PS> YES, I would love to have some under the dash.... and also, I'm going to do my door lights, too... the ones with the white on bottom and red on top? I think they're called "HEY, GUY, approaching from behind....DON'T SLAM INTO MY DOOR!"/LIGHTS! lol

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-14-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread