86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so much awesomeness an fun dude just excellent
Old 09-25-2013, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
love all the videos. i think next year we all need to get some go pros. i think the night run was awesome. so much fun when you have a group of vehicles mobbing the dunes.

i am down for some winter wheeling ALWAYS
Old 09-25-2013, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang Chef! That was an outstanding writeup on the Jamboree!!! Cant wait to go wheeling again! I want to go to Glamis sometime this Fall!!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great, pictures, videos, and write up. Desert season is just about here! We make a couple of trips to Glamis each season. The dunes out there are so vast and large! When the plans come together I'll post a notification.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:24 PM

glamis is so far and there isnt any oceanside view...
i know, thanksgiving weekend is popping at glamis

i think once i get my tundra LT build done. i would like to see glamis
Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
so much awesomeness an fun dude just excellent
Woohoo! Lol.... It seriously was lots of fun. Not forgetting to mention, it's an extremely big bonus one everyone you are hanging out with is mellow and cool! Thanks dragon ... I hope you're doing alright, man!

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
love all the videos. i think next year we all need to get some go pros. i think the night run was awesome. so much fun when you have a group of vehicles mobbing the dunes.

i am down for some winter wheeling ALWAYS
That's funny you mention that, I already have several vendors bookmarked on the go pro... It really sucks having to hold the thing all the time. The funny thing is, at John Bull and all the other trails in Big Bear, there are some vicious boulders and so forth, but since there isn't any hi speed repetitive bumping going on, the camera stays put on the dash with my little rubber stop on the windshield and a neck pillow wrapped around the back of it. I also have a tripod that works OK as long as I can put some weight on it and which something between the two legs that go between the incline meter & the gauge, it stays put really really well. The problem is that half the time when there's a cool picture I'm not prepared or I can just turn it on while rolling down the trail. Or it's just not safe to grab it at the time if you know what I mean... I did my best, and it's better than having nothing I guess right? Lol

I am definitely down for someone to Wheeling, but considering how busy I am, I will likely at least make one good trip to the Sierras and the hot springs therein! I just love doing the snow monkey thing! Haha. But I can handle a winter trip to Oceano Dunes, no doubt! Just please remind me with a message before I head out that I need to grab my mudd flaps! Hahahaha

Originally Posted by YotaWoRx
Dang Chef! That was an outstanding writeup on the Jamboree!!! Cant wait to go wheeling again! I want to go to Glamis sometime this Fall!!
Thanks a lot man! That means a bunch... I had a really difficult I'm doing this one because of some mistakes I made uploading pictures from here and there into a couple different albums on Photobucket... Then I deleted about half of that post! Grrrr!..... Plus I've been dealing with this pain, but in the end it got done, so that's all that matters. I just need to fix it up a little bit. I definitely would love to go to Glamis, just have to find the time and make sure that I can go when you guys are going. Some buddies of mine are hitting Gorman pretty soon, and those mountains by Acton. Look forward to meeting up again man, it was great to meet you.

Originally Posted by BlazeN8
Great, pictures, videos, and write up. Desert season is just about here! We make a couple of trips to Glamis each season. The dunes out there are so vast and large! When the plans come together I'll post a notification.
Very grateful for the props, thanks Nate! I was hoping to meet up with you Sunday, too, but I hope you at least had a good time?

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
glamis is so far and there isnt any oceanside view...
i know, thanksgiving weekend is popping at glamis

i think once i get my tundra LT build done. i would like to see glamis
Tundy LT you say? Suuuuweet!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Dayumn! Lots of hot first-gens! Glad to see you guys have fun!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Dayumn! Lots of hot first-gens! Glad to see you guys have fun!
Yep, was great, ......now to get you to commit to the next trip! Haha. You would have had a blast! No need to get air, you still would have had a great time, I'm sure.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:53 PM

Fyi there is a service road you can take all the way in to Carpenteria. We were passing people on the freeway I think you get off at vijedo or something.

Great pics and vids though. hope you feel better
Old 09-26-2013, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet pics man.. I'd love to get a lot of people together over here at home sometime. There's 1000's of miles to ride but only young kids with toys here. Mostly high school kids that don't know much of anything. When I really wanna trail ride I'm mostly stuck with jeeps or by myself.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zpd426
Fyi there is a service road you can take all the way in to Carpenteria. We were passing people on the freeway I think you get off at vijedo or something.

Great pics and vids though. hope you feel better
Hey Zack, what's up? Yeah, whatever I was it was not aware there was and access road, I can't remember if it was before or after Carpinteria. Actually, I believe it was before Carpinteria, because after that you go under that one bridge and then it just opened up magically because the two lanes turn back into three for a while. All I remember is smoke from people screeching to a halt and then it was pretty much just at a dead stop for about 8 miles. There wasn't a single exit from the point that we stopped until just before the point that I could see it was taking off again. By the way, which side is the byway on, the northbound side right? Because all I could see was lots of land to the right and no roads. At least on the portions were there were no exits.

Thanks man, I'm starting to feel a little better, it's very hard for me to sit still for a couple hours at a time more than once a day. I'm trying to take advantage of it, but I'm still having to work, so it's hard for them to heal. I have a little vacation coming up and I took it so that I can take my mom to her 63rd yr high school reunion! I know, seriously right? It's so awesome, I'm really happy for her... Its in Laughlin Nevada, which I love, and I will be taking my truck and then afterwards I'm thinking of getting a hotel for a couple extra days and visiting my father in Lake Havasu City. He hasn't left the house pretty much for years, other than running here and there on occasion... my step mom is taking him to Uruguay on a cruise! I am totally freaking shocked that he agreed to go, but I'm ecstatic about it! The cruise is for two weeks and then we are coming back again to my dads house for Thanksgiving... So I wanted to go before he goes on his cruise.

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
Sweet pics man.. I'd love to get a lot of people together over here at home sometime. There's 1000's of miles to ride but only young kids with toys here. Mostly high school kids that don't know much of anything. When I really wanna trail ride I'm mostly stuck with jeeps or by myself.
Yeah, I've been there..... Everyone there, at least with the group I joined, were all mature and responsible people! Around us? Hmmmm, let's just say there were quite a few hollering drunks , but for the most part it remains pretty mellow after 1 a.m. or so.....

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-26-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:57 AM

Hi Mark. I just checked out the pix. Havent watched all the videos. But I can see it was a great time. Wish I would have got to meet you all. Theres always next time. Looks like that compressor came in handy for you Mark. How long did it take to air up all 4 tires?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Hi Mark. I just checked out the pix. Havent watched all the videos. But I can see it was a great time. Wish I would have got to meet you all. Theres always next time. Looks like that compressor came in handy for you Mark. How long did it take to air up all 4 tires?
Oh yeah, very much wish you could have gone, bud. You would have loved it! But, alas, we have to do what we have to do. Part of the reason you had to abstain is going to be worth it. Gotta have some front armor! And boy are you ever going to have it! Lol... The thing is looking sick, Richard. I wish you the best, without any injuries or anything of the sort...;

As far as the air, I don't remember, I wasn't timing it really... Clearly the tank is pretty good for 2 tires, to make it super fast. I would guess around 1:30 or so for the first tire and similar for the second? One thing to keep in mind is that these are 35 inch tires and I went from under 10 pounds to 35 pounds in that amount of time. The other two took a little longer because it was still just running right through the tank ... I also had a couple of little leaks that I've got to sort out...... I'm going to try a different brand of lock cog, mine broke apart after the third tire... Just little things like that kept hanging me up, but its the first time I used it. All in all, I was very happy.

I love the digital gauge and it is also a volt meter! That has been very cool to have, as I've been watching how my truck dishes out voltage, especially after the compressor has been on for a while,....or the radio or the lights or whatever... Throughout the trip I took a look and was paying attention, so I gotta say that's a bonus, and an extra bonus that its pretty darn cool looking! Lol. It's exactly the same blue is my radio, so maybe I'll be changing all my green lights to blue, just probably not LED in the dash and so forth. I'm not really needing anything brighter than what I already have, and it is so evenly lit and as far as brightness, you've seen it Richard, they are perfectly legible, without causing me any night vision drama. The cool thing about all those is that I can just drop them down to zero with the dimmer and they're not using any juice, Plus no hot spots.... I just don't see them having that worked out completely yet. Mainly I just don't like it so bright. The digital gauge and the radio are the lowest things in my plain of sight... Plus, I can dim the radio or change colors.

As you saw in I believe my last compressor video, the switch is pretty cool/clean, and it is totally flush with the dash or radio bezel if you will. Toyo can tell you, it came out really clean. Those switch LED lights are red OFF and blue when ON.... So it really looks as though (with the AZ digital gauge being blue and red and my Pioneer stereo being blue and red) it might be good to switch everything over using superbrightleds.com 's incandescent light covers. Their little silicone nibs allow you to change the color without changing to LED lights on those.

The good thing about that 5 gallon tank is that it would probably allow me to use my air wrench to break loose the lug nuts or possibly use some other air tools that require a little more capacity then a 3/8 wrench?( let's not forget some possible air horns? Hehehe) ...

It is what it is for now, but I think it will do the trick, and it sure the hell beats using crappy gas station air, which took me almost 10 minutes a tire! Lol. I know, I know, you remember just fine how long it took! Hahaha
Old 09-27-2013, 12:38 PM

Just wanted to share the link to hey San Bernardino area map that is quite extensive. Just click on the link from your PC so you can print it out. I might end up doing it and having it laminated, or maybe a better one......

http://backcountry4x4.com/files/SanB...p5_for_web.pdf

Death Valley trails!.......

http://backcountry4x4.com/files/Deat...ds_and_Map.pdf

Anza Borrego ....HUGE, and including down at TDS....

http://www.off-road.com/trails-event...rth-53194.html

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Anza-Bo...ert_State_Park

Some GPS stuffs....

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/fo...50-GPS-Mapping

The second link shows the site that I got it from and mentions Cleghorn, a trail that I had quite a bit of fun on several years ago. The reason I think it would be a good trip for some of us SoCal guys is that we could invite any truck, IFSC or not, and on the more difficult parts they could go around, whereas Big Bear doesn't really always allow you that luxury. Maybe your buddy with the tan pickup can go, too, Richard?

http://backcountry4x4.com/BigBearAreaTrailMap.html

Trail info page/links....

http://backcountry4x4.com/SC4x4TBigBearLakeTrails.html

This is looking to be a pretty sick page 4 those that like to leapfrog all over California...

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/soca..._4Wheeling.htm

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-27-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:53 PM

Mark I'm down to go try those places out whemever u are. Just let me finish this front bumper and i'll have time and $$$ to go
Old 09-27-2013, 01:05 PM

XK-Glow 18 pod Rock Lights w/Remote....... beginning.......

I will be planning out and cleaning up the frame and other locations for the installation of my rock light kit, starting today.....

Remote:

Name:  20130706_130242.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  2.05 MB

Name:  20130706_130203.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  2.04 MB

Relay module:

Name:  20130706_130319.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  1.91 MB

Kit Thingies:

Name:  20130706_130113.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  1.90 MB

Name:  20130706_130415.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  2.09 MB

This will be running off of my auxiliary fuse block.....

Name:  20130721_012718.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  2.48 MB

A couple of locations I will be using....

Name:  20130807_121711.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  1.97 MB

Name:  20130807_121733.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  2.31 MB

Name:  20130807_121733.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  2.31 MB

I got a couple ideas from Toyotech, thanx buddy!

Also going to get my headlight wiring harness upgrade and alternator upgrade done ASAP. Most things don't take too much of a hit on the system but the compressor and even the 20 inch light bar do seem to cause a little drain. Excited!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20130807_121733.jpg (2.31 MB, 139 views)

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-27-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Mark I'm down to go try those places out whemever u are. Just let me finish this front bumper and i'll have time and $$$ to go
Can't wait, excited for ya!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
giving him a ticket for no mud flaps...
I know I warned someone about this not too long ago! was it Richard? Toyo? or You? or maybe it was Richard about the GPS mounting and Toyo about the flaps?

Anyhow, awesome pics and event. Do you think my truck could handle the sand? Maybe if there's room I can come next year and park it for camping, and then ride with you or someone else in the dunes? I just wanna be around a bunch of yota trucks!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Grego92

I know I warned someone about this not too long ago! was it Richard? Toyo? or You? or maybe it was Richard about the GPS mounting and Toyo about the flaps?

Anyhow, awesome pics and event. Do you think my truck could handle the sand? Maybe if there's room I can come next year and park it for camping, and then ride with you or someone else in the dunes? I just wanna be around a bunch of yota trucks!
Oh TOTALLY positive your rig will handle it! Dude, there were Subaru Brats and stock Xterras, ....just tons of stuff like that. You might want to go around certain things, but that is the great thing about it.... IT'S BIG, and there are plenty of spots I'm almost any help that you can go around if you don't want to try it. The other great thing is that in most situations you can get stuck at the top of a hill and just back up. The one thing I noticed that most people screw up in the sand is when they get to the top of a hill and start digging in... It is pretty much against most of the laws of physics unless you have paddle tires and a 351 Windsor with a supercharger... It ain't gonna dig out and keep climbing! Lol.... The people that get stuck usually do just that, they hit the gas pedal in an attempt to just get a little further up over the edge, and subsequently they get stuck and dig in & even high centered. Even then, it is fairly easy to have a couple guys Rock the front end give me a shot of any hop right out of it. Its not like getting stuck in mud and so forth, and with a nice squishy suspension like you have, yet capable, you will have a blast! It's one of those fun places you can get up speed and not break anything, as long as long as you are mindful of the drops..... Can't see some of them, so you have to just kind of learn an area and then have fun going nuts in that area. It was a lot of fun at night, too!

And the for the southwest portion of the OHV dunes, you can have a lot of fun back there just heading the half bowls and so forth.

It looks like we might be going again in the next few months, and I would really like to see you go to Tierra del Sol. There is a route for everyone at that place and you can have lots of fun and never really get lost.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Grego92

you asked me about my mud flaps a while back but i dont run them. i havent had any problems with cops about them. it kinda sucks because i see so many Chevy street queens lifted taller and bigger tires than i do but not a single mud flap. heck not a single domestic truck comes with mud flaps which is BS

i also have a GPS mount on my windshield and i havent had any issues with that as well. i know LA cops are big on all the stupid fixing tickets

you truck will do find in the sand. if anything, trucks usually do better since there is less weight in the back. that little white truck you see in some of pix/videos. he is pretty stock, well open front and rear and only 31s i think. he does really well and handles the bowls better than any of us lol

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread