86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Chef, I havent read your entire thread to back track your problem....just sayin.

Your idle should be at 750 +/-50 rpm with no A/C anything below that and your alt may not charge properly, but it should charge.

Your A/C should idle up the engine when you hit the switch. There is a vacuum line that must be adjusted so the engine revs few rpms higher when the comp kicks on.
For what ists worth my v6 doesn't idle up either and i have dicked with that dam adjustable vacuum switch with zero results. I also haven't spent alot of time on it either. In the meantime why not adjust the idle bypass screw on the throttle body to raise the idle a smiggen until you get it sorted? that's what I'd do, it only affects idle, and any increase in engine speed cancels the idle bleed affect.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Totally with ya on the adjust the idle up to 800rpm for now. .....

Only problem is that it seems like the computer is automatically adjusting things to the point where it ends up idling down again. I know the o-ring is OK in there and its pretty clean inside the idle air adjustment screw hole port. Once I get it in to about where it is now it gets pretty snug and doesn't seem to be turning out or in by itself..... And eventually, while the idle stays at around 750, the screw has to come out further and further just to keep the idle up . I'm going to mark it with a paint pen on the screw and TB and I'm going to watch and see its screwing itself in.

I've done a few videos on the relocation of the AC - VSV. When I install a new vacuum switching valve it works when the truck is cold, but once it warms up it stops working.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-28-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
And u have the Cali emmissions 22re.... Hmmm. You are following the warm up procedure from the fsm to set the idle? U put a volt meter on your vsv? Checks out, look for corrosion on the wires creating resitance, and maybe inspect the loom the junctions a just but crimped with tape. Sorry not much help.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Ignition Voltage Supply? Coil Winding Breaking Down?

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
... and a bit on the gremlin. We got talking about the headlight amp draw.... He mentioned that the coil is not always fully approvable through the standars tests... I don't have the meter to test that coiling in there....... The coil is something that I've never replaced.

But I got thinking, and I'm wondering if the RPM's need to be around 750 or more in order for the alternator to properly charge the battery which then feeds the headlight. See, I've noticed, that when the trucks is idling it more like 800 rpm, the headlight draw is nearly nothing... If anything at all. When the RPM is standing around 750, it seems to drop around 25 rpm .... When my idol is around 700, that is when I notice the RPM's drop around 100 rpm. .......Curious if anybody thinks that make sense?
Hi Mark,
This is theoretical, but:
  • Ignition coil resistance may read OK but with age, winding insulation might breakdown. Simple resistance check may not reveal this because insulation breakdown only shows a problem at high voltages and also requires higher voltage for testing. Not sure if FSM covers this test. Friendly electrician may have a megger you can use to test - and make bets with friends who can handle the highest voltage with - LOL!.
  • When headlight comes on or AC comes on (but AC idle sensor does not bring idle up), voltage may drop a little.
  • If coil or something in ignition system is marginally good and requires a sustained voltage, could it malfunction when voltage drops.
Consider watching voltage supply to ignition under different load conditions? AND compare with others'?
Name:  Marks_Ignition_zpsa45c04af.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  69.6 KB

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 08-28-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
And u have the Cali emmissions 22re.... Hmmm. You are following the warm up procedure from the fsm to set the idle? U put a volt meter on your vsv? Checks out, look for corrosion on the wires creating resitance, and maybe inspect the loom the junctions a just but crimped with tape. Sorry not much help.
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner

Hi Mark,
This is theoretical, but:
[*]Ignition coil resistance may read OK but with age, winding insulation might breakdown. Simple resistance check may not reveal this because insulation breakdown only shows a problem at high voltages and also requires higher voltage for testing. Not sure if FSM covers this test. Friendly electrician may have a megger you can use to test - and make bets with friends who can handle the highest voltage with - LOL!.[*]When headlight comes on or AC comes on (but AC idle sensor does not bring idle up), voltage may drop a little.[*]If coil or something in ignition system is marginally good and requires a sustained voltage, could it malfunction when voltage drops.

Consider watching voltage supply to ignition under different load conditions? AND compare with others'?
I consider many things. .... to the point of nearly perforating my cranial membrane with pressure! Haha.

I hear ya. If these sensors don't solve the problem, I'll definitely look at the next steps. Even if, I think I will rewire the Y connectors to injectors and so forth as well.

Also read a guy having issues with an aftermarket fuel pump causing hot soak drama.... It couldn't pressure up properly or something of the sort. That causes it to take a little longer to recover....?

......I went through everything and I now realize that I never installed the Toyota fuel pump, to replace the new Bosch premium that I had already bought. I'm not in any way saying that this is likely... Just pointing out some things I remember. Something is causing the efi system to pressure up and down on its own and adjust the idle at odd times and so forth. I know this by its behavior after being fully warm and driving around and then coming to a stop light. I also find it very odd that it runs differently according to different ambient temperatures.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:11 PM

Just for my own reference, I also read within a thread that gave me the most info on the TTTS#2, in a comment from a toyota representative, that all of the replacement temperature time switch number 2's were white on the top. If it is a black plastic tip on top, were the connector goes, then it is the wrong 1. Mine is in fact black, and it even says 110 on the side.

And from another thread. ...

"The temp switch #2 doesn't directly switch the EFI VSV, it sends it's signal to the ECU. When the ECU gets grounded via the temp switch wire, it goes into the "pressure-up" mode for 2 minutes after start. While in this mode it completes the circuit to the EFI VSV which in turn prevents vacuum from reaching the FPR. When the FPR doesn't have vacuum pulling on the diaphragm, the fuel pressure goes up (about 10 psi). When the 2 minutes are up the ECU opens the EFI VSV circuit which in turn allows vacuum reach the FPR (which results in lower fuel system pressure). As for why they don't always run at the higher pressures, I think it has to do with wear and tear on the pump and other fuel system components. Then there's the safety aspect..........It stands to reason they would only make pressure high enough to get the job done (a leak at 44 psi would be worse than a leak at 34 psi). In response to your other question, if the EFI VSV was disconnected from vacuum (like the scenario you mention), this would result in a constant "pressure-up" condition (always be in the high pressure mode).˟"

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-28-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:18 PM

Ran the AC at first start up.... it bogged down.... 1 min later, it idled up to 900rpm as its supposed to..... Turned off, 1 min later back on and it bogged down again.

Then, fully warmed it up and plugged the FPR VSV line to the FPR, leaving the FPR at wide open...... Turned it off for 15 min, started it hot reatart..... DID SAME EXACT GREMLIN!

Anyone tell me something....... how could the temp switch #2 have anything to do with it if its doing it anyhow when the fuel pressure should be on full blast?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-28-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:25 PM

Nuttin? ^^^^^^ lol....
Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 PM

Tracking says my CSI Time Switch and temp sending unit is in CA....

Gonna grab the Temp Time Switch #2 probably 2mrw... So I'm gonna be changing out all that stuff anyhow, even though I'm not super optimistic, lol.

Just wondered if anyone knew if my theory was right.....>>> If I'm getting my gremlin even with no vacuum pull on the FPR... and no open vacuum lines.... couldn't that mean my FPR is not responsible for a hot soak inadequacy? It does come out of it fairly quickly if I get on the skinny pedal. Odd thing is that it will not come out of it on its own....Wheretofore; IT USED TO! Haha.. Now it wont even do that. But it still wont stall out.

Like I said.... read some saying this was their fuel pump at hot restart only.

And some on their AC VSV only working once saying that it was temp gauge problem relaying a message that wouldn't allow the AC VSV to open??? Especially in the summer, I would really like to get to the bottom of that AC VSV problem of not wanting to work once warmed up to operating temp.

Sorry guys, I don't mean to bore everyone with this crap... I just have these couple of gremlins going for 4 years now. Getting to the point where I don't even care anymore again. We'll see what this new stuff does but I would appreciate an answer as to the fuel pressure regulator. If anybody knows that is of course.

Just a side note, sometimes as we all know it pays to go to Toyota for parts... Look at their price at Rock auto for a cold start injector time switch.....

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,4424

I paid under $100 from 1stToyotParts.com with a little extra discount! (Got the. Updated CSI Time Switch 89462-20050).

Bookmarked this too for the heck of it .....

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...266&cc=1272181

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-29-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not boring, I just don't have any more ideas for you. It seems like every idea you've tried has been along the right track of thinking, but your tests have obviously not found it. Just spitballing, but what's hooked to or installed in this engine that was also in the last engine? I'm just going by common denominators, since you said it did this with the old engine, too.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:18 AM

Hey Jonny!

Well, before I get to that stuff, I will just clarify one thing in regards to the time that this rough warm restart gremlins appeared. I don't believe it was happening before I put this engine in. I've always had the same miss and odd variable idle speed... But as far as idling down to 500rpm on warm restarts? I would have to look back through to find where it started for sure, but off the top of my head I don't think that this appeared until the last few months. I believe the motor is at least 2 years old?.....

But, for at least a couple years, the idle air adjustment screw has been needing to come out further at times. I'm starting to wonder if the hot weather seasons do reveal certain things like this. I also totally believe that there could be some electrical wiring issues as well. I know wiring can get really temperamental it's compromise and then has to deal with a lot of heat. Anyway, we will see...

Again; is got plenty of power, doesn't hesitate or sputter, but gets pretty bad city mileage and a lil miss(which seems better since adjusting the valves). The miss isn't like "backfire" level... just a lil rumble in the jungle.... But this idle dowm/rough idle at warm restarts...... very annoying.

The AC refusing to idle up can also be some really odd things that are related to the sensors/guage/ECU Relationships. Again, we will see.

Like Toyo said, "if it gets worse, and the culprit finally breaks, ...voila!" .... Hahaha. I'd like to just get the Warm restart debacle sussed... Then AC idle up too.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-30-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just as something to ponder

always happens after getting warm perhaps a rubber vacuum line is kinking a bit relaxing from the warmth? im at a loss at this point as to any help i can give
Old 08-30-2013, 02:28 PM

None that I could find, bud... And I'm at a loss too! Lol

The CSI TIME SWITCH and Temp Sender came today.... so now, just gotta pick up the TTTS #2.

I started a thread on this, got to the end...... Android crashed. PC OR LAPTOP ONLY from now on. Geeesh!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:25 AM

Big Bear Day trip;

As some know, Richard and his neighbor, Ruben, are hitting Big Bear today for some wheeling....

I'm waiting at Milliken Denny's right now for them to show up, and just a few minutes ago, Richard called me and let me know..... "I'm broken down on the freeway!" ......Poor dude had 'S.A.F.'......SUDDEN ALTERNATOR FAILURE! Happened to me on the way to Mammoth in a storm one time, 11PM....scary to lose headlights on the SUPER DARK Sierra Hwy! .....

He's doing a roadside repair session right now.....

Here I wait......

Name:  20130831_072652.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  2.76 MB

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-31-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 AM

Update:...................

>
>
>
>

Still at Denny's..... lol...

Freaking parts store gave Richard the wrong Alternator! Derrrr! So he had to go back there and exchange it. Hoping they had the right one in stock for him.

Hey, at least I got to eat! Lol

Hoping it's not too crazy-crowded up there on the holiday.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chef, seems ole Murphy is working overtime today.
Have fun up there!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh, feel bad for him. Hope you guys get rollin soon and have a great time!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:02 AM

Hahaa i see you got home just as tired as i did. I got home and just uploaded the pix to Photobucket and all the videos to YouTube but i was exhausted i just showered and knocked out. Yesterday was a long day i got home at 10:30pm; So you probably got home at 11ish huh?

I'll copy all the pix to your thread after im done sorting out all these pictures. They all got mixed up and arent in order.

Great wheeling with ya Mark. I'm happy to see that beast of the truck in action. NOOOOO COMPARISON TO IFS RIGHT?
Old 09-01-2013, 11:32 AM

Haha.... I felt horrible for him, D!... After the last trip with the overheating stuff and having to turn around... I was really concerned for them, but good thing in this modern day in age they have plenty of parts stores everywhere. Even in Big Bear they have a NAPA... Which had Rubens fuel pump on holiday weekend Labor Day,.... Which was as a matter of fact Murphy taking a swipe for the third time. Mine wasn't so serious, but as we rolled into the gas station my truck stalled. We were gassing up just before heading up... I actually clocked in close to 50 miles that we four wheeled. Anyway, as I pulled into the gas station it stalled and Richard was hanging out in the street!... I felt bad but there wasn't anything I could do... As I revved it getting it to start again, I heard the C.O.R. clicking on and off... I was going to bypass the fp and b+.... But I manage to get in the gas station and open the hood and realized that my idle air adjustment screw head turned itself off all the way in! Haha.

I will do the best write up that I can of the trip along with pictures and videos and including some of Richards videos of me. I was behind Richard most of the time, & a couple times he asked me to spot him I had left the camera in the truck.... They were pretty hairy situations so it's no wonder that neither of us thought of it. Luckily with him being above me he most often had stopped and got out and so he got some great video of me and I'm very grateful.

I did have one instance of carnage... I miss-gauged a mesquite branch that stuck itself right through my tail light on the driver side. Lol. Oh well, I'm actually very grateful that it was that and not my window or tailgate. The 4Xinnovations rear bumper did its job beautifully as I smacked into that tree... But there was one branch that was tricking me like an optical illusion as it was pointing right at my line of sight like a pool stick. I just couldn't see it, hehe.

Richard, it was my pleasure and I had a great time as well. Pretty exhausting as taking John Bull the back way turns into basically three miles up hill on some very nasty boulders and hard turns with wicked angles... You're basically constantly correcting and so forth... So yes, Richard, I was beat! But actually I feel fine today. Just a little sore. As far as independent suspension... In regards to dealing with stuff like that? I can imagine most setups I've seen making it through John Bull... But I'm sure there are plenty of videos on YouTube of some doing just that.... Only thing is, most of those trucks have around $50,000 into them. I don't miss it, you could say that... But I've had many straight axle trucks, including in 1970 CST 4 bolt main, 4 speed 350 blazer.. My 83 pick up was quite the capable little beast... But that never went bigger than 31's.

Hey Toyo, did you hit Pismo this weekend?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-01-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:42 AM

Hey Mark. I know you havent uploaded your stuff yet. But i figure i'd get a head start on it for ya. lol this is just a copy/paste off my thread. Please do the same onto mine when you get around to doing yours please. im anxious to see what you got!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, We almost had another canceled trip. Drama before even driving up to Big Bear. While driving approx 30 miles to meet up with Mark my truck finally died. literally. It had no power. Symptoms were gradually losing power and MPH were dropping slowly. Battery charge was dropping. I didnt think anything of it i figured the battery would charge but i thought wrong.

While Mark waited patiently for almost 2 hours at the Dennys still about 8-10 miles away from us My neighbor Ruben towed me off the freeway with my rope. After looking for parking in a city where most parking is "permit parking only(on the steet) we couldnt just leave my truck anywhere. Finally found a gas station after about 2-3 miles of towing. and the clerk was nice enough to allow me to park next to the air compressor parking area. My Multimeter read a charge of 8.36v on my battery. thing was dead! by this time it was about 7:20am. NO AUTO STORES ARE OPEN AT THIS TIME! Most open at 9pm. But luckily we found an O'reily's and thank god they Open at 7am. Bought the alternator and some brand new heavy duty 12ft jumper cables so we could jumpstart my truck then we drove back. Removed mine and began to install the new one when i realized.... WTF?!?! this is a 22re alternator! stupid cashier. We had to uninstall it all over again(8:10am). took both alternators back and recieved a core discount and got it swapped out for the correct one. We were done about 8:40am and met up with Mark at Denny's for breakfast.

Sorry we made you wait 2&1/2 hours but i really didnt want to turn back and cancel another trip. So i was determined to fix the problem. Sorry no pix of us at work on the alternator. i was too focused on hurrying up. i didnt want to keep you waiting any longer then you already had. You patience is greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We took one trail that eventually met up with the John Bull Trail(the hardest Big bear trail out there)

Finally picture time!

Driving up there entrance to the trail
Name:  DSCN1817_zps725e1d59.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  2.49 MB

I didnt get many pictures of my neighbors truck. He was always in a hurry lol He wouldnt hold still for any pictures so most of what i got of him were him in action and me having to time it right to get something good.
Name:  DSCN1818_zps100b5254.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  2.60 MB

Name:  DSCN1819_zpsbdb88693.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  2.56 MB

I wanted to take a bunch of pictures and video footage of Mark's truck because i wanted him to have a bunch of action shots for his first time testing out his new SAS set up. I know i sure as hell wanted somebody taking a bunch of pix and videos of me when i first went on mine. So I took a bunch of shots of his rig and Mark returned the favor. Thanks again Mark.
Name:  DSCN1822_zpsc28a4042.jpg
Views: 145

Name:  DSCN1823_zpsfc7991bc.jpg
Views: 133

Name:  DSCN1824_zps76ce2760.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  2.54 MB

Name:  DSCN1825_zps6bef8e1a.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  2.52 MB

Name:  DSCN1826_zps01a4a673.jpg
Views: 132

Name:  DSCN1827_zps9f76949d.jpg
Views: 113

Name:  DSCN1828_zps38a69235.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  2.67 MB

Poser shot. I sware i thought it'd flex out a bit more but i over estimated the size of that tiny rock lol
Name:  DSCN1830_zpse3e3a39c.jpg
Views: 127

Finally reached the 1st point where we could get some good flex shots of Marks truck
Name:  DSCN1831_zps9548f433.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  2.47 MB

Name:  DSCN1832_zpse165f7b5.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  2.63 MB

Name:  DSCN1833_zps6432ebb3.jpg
Size:  2.51 MB

Name:  DSCN1835_zpsbc069722.jpg
Views: 112

Name:  DSCN1836_zps00a5eaf0.jpg
Views: 128

This was around the area that Ruben's Pickup broke down. And although it may not seem like it on this video this is all on an incline and in the way of many people passing by trying to get up that same route. Rubens truck didnt come up on the video but he is off to the right side. The motor wasnt getting any fuel. after a few different tests we found that Rubens Fuel pump wasnt working. Wasnt giving any gasoline.

BTW this was about 1/6th into the long trail. We had to remove the Fuel pump(which wasnt hard at all. It was just a pain trying to work as other groups made their way up next to us and as the truck was on an incline.) So once we removed the Fuel pump Mark was left alone yet again(So Sorry man. Thanks again for your patience.) We had no choice we had to go back down the 1 way trail in my truck as Mark stayed with his truck to watch over Rubens truck. Let me tell ya driving back down isnt fun when you have a few groups still making their way up the 1way road you're trying to go down lol. We drove back into town and after a bunch of driving we finally found a NAPA auto parts which had the part(WOOT!) Drove back up to the trail and Made it up all the obstacles again where we met up with Mark installed the part and continued out trail!

Anyway here is Mark making his way up that part where Ruben broke down.

------------------------------------------------------------------

After getting Rubens truck fixed and finding an open space we finally parked and had lunch. Sharing foods and kicking it just taking time to rest up a bit. I got a bunch of shots here. dont mind the picture whoring of non flex shots. lol
Name:  DSCN1837_zps02eace18.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  2.63 MB

Name:  DSCN1838_zpsb73838f3.jpg

Name:  DSCN1839_zpsb4c33b2a.jpg
Size:  2.50 MB

Name:  DSCN1840_zpsc02d2acf.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  2.61 MB

Name:  DSCN1841_zpsc0c5bf7f.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  2.57 MB

I thought this picture looked kind of cool.
Name:  DSCN1843_zpsc96b5806.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  2.57 MB

Name:  DSCN1845_zps07782874.jpg
Views: 138

Lunch time over! We made it on to a different trail that eventually led to the John Bull trail and here we are just messing around with the hill side.
Name:  DSCN1846_zps328cdb30.jpg
Views: 143

Name:  DSCN1848_zpsfd8c28c3.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  2.68 MB

Name:  DSCN1849_zps7df2f900.jpg
Views: 158

I ran into some minor front tire rubbage. but nothing that bothered me the rest of the day. i never flexed it to that point the rest of the day so i'm good. I wont have that problem once i build my front bumper.
Name:  DSCN1850_zps38299eb6.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  2.55 MB

Name:  DSCN1851_zpse5c3e196.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  2.65 MB

Name:  DSCN1852_zpsa112c95c.jpg
Views: 123

Name:  DSCN1855_zps079e44b3.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  2.64 MB

One of the best upgrades i think i ever built was this Rear Bumper that my Dad and I built. I mentioned before that i wanted a sick heavy duty bumper. Which is why i chose 1/4" plate steel for the rear end. and let me tell ya. I AM SO HAPPY I WENT WITH THAT THICKNESS! I must had hit that rear bumper about 25 times in the whole trip. A lot was to the hitch but i did get my rear bumper a lot too. It definitely did its job at protecting my body and rear end. All those hits it took and the only thing i was left with was a couple of scratches and paint blemishes. Nothing that cant be slightly sanded and re painted. to look normal again. I'm so happy with the results. Only part that did get damaged was the jerry can holder. It did hit and did break one of my welds. but i mean the jerry can tray is only made of 1/16 - 2/16 steel so cant expect that to hold up too well with a hit. its all good. It still held together. nothing that cant be better reinforced and welded to be stronger.
Name:  DSCN1854_zpscb695e4a.jpg
Views: 120

Shortly after the trail we reached John Bull. From here on out it was nothing but big boulders and steep inclines. We had many spots where we came 3-4 inches from scratching the body or hitting one of our rear camper windows. There were many close calls and LOTS of getting stuck. Plus the fact that there had been rain and thunder storms for the past 3 days this week made everything damp and difficult to get grip on lots of rocks. especially the steep ones that we had to crawl up.
Name:  DSCN1856_zps37e83e44.jpg
Views: 150

Name:  DSCN1857_zps3715757b.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  3.13 MB

a fun Mud puddle before we reached the hard stuff.

Name:  DSCN1859_zpsb61a974b.jpg
Views: 172

Name:  DSCN1860_zpsba4cf49f.jpg
Views: 122

Name:  DSCN1861_zps75f891ff.jpg
Views: 163

Name:  DSCN1863_zps4f453acb.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  2.48 MB

Name:  DSCN1864_zps94a0a930.jpg
Views: 159

Name:  DSCN1865_zpsc907c2d6.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  2.51 MB

Name:  DSCN1866_zps656c1c6e.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  2.64 MB

THIS SHALL BE OUR PLAYGROUND! Belive it or not this is the easy part. It got so much worse at the top of that hill!
Name:  DSCN1867_zps8fc577ed.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  2.47 MB

This is at the bottom of that hill
Name:  DSCN1869_zpsfc32f4ee.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  2.69 MB

Name:  DSCN1870_zpsa4e5454b.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  2.44 MB

Name:  DSCN1871_zps642d0cad.jpg
Views: 117

Name:  DSCN1872_zpse695806f.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  2.53 MB

Name:  DSCN1874_zps1764c35a.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  2.68 MB

Name:  DSCN1876_zps3b4ff5d6.jpg
Views: 157

Name:  DSCN1877_zps186290a6.jpg
Views: 153

Name:  DSCN1878_zpsfd764704.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  2.62 MB

This was probably one of my more favorite shots of the trip. Look at the way his truck is twisting.
Name:  DSCN1879_zpsc73fe812.jpg

Name:  DSCN1880_zps0c1f771b.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  2.45 MB

Name:  DSCN1881_zps0ca148c6.jpg
Views: 129

Now unfortunately for me the hardest part of the trail wasn't caught on video or any pictures of me going up. But i did get a full video from beginning to end of Mark making his way up that hard part. So at least you'll get the Idea of how hard it is.

Ruben was telling me that on that last part there when i was stuck my front wheels were up about 1.5ft and when the truck was about to come back down on the floor my rear tires got traction and literally launched my truck out. My only proof of this is Ruben and Mark as my witnesses but Ruben said that i got some serious air on that last part. He said my rear tires were about 1.5 ft off the floor and my front tires got about 3ft off the floor when finally landing on the floor in front of me. I tell ya to me being the driver i literally felt like i was gonna flip backward. definitely dont want to have that feeling again lol

This is by far the Hardest trail ive ever been on. Lots of rear end hits and SLIDERS ARE A MUST. To anybody thinking of going up that way I would definitely recommend sliders and a better rear defense because there is no way around that; you will hit. Also Axle armor. Many spots leave you a staring at the floor from your side windows to where if you stick your hand out you can actually touch the boulders that are super close to you. It's like i previously said there were parts so bad i honestly thought that i was gonna have body damage because the sides of the mountain or boulders were literally just 3-5 in case away from the body or windows. Its nerve racking knowing that you might leave with body damage.

In the end this was a super fun trip and only downfall was all the break downs that we had. Those combined breakdowns delayed us 4.5 hours Easy. But thats exactly why i always come prepared with all my tools and extra oils etc.. i dont care if people laugh at me. It's the smartest thing to do. One never knows what you'll need and yesterday proved it.

We have lots more pix to come. but Mark has the rest of the pictures. So I'll let him post them to my page.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread