86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I got a kick out of you getting the Christmas thief on the right track. I had a similar experience when I was 17. Some friends and me were playing in a farmers field, I was riding but the other 2 had their cars. The farmer chased us off when some shot gun blast. I understand "No Tresspassing" signs quite well. I still see those 2 other guys from time to time and dont blame him a bit.

I hear you on the computers. I cant watch the videos as mine is in slow motion. Poor connection but it does let me keep up with what is going on. I really need to just get rid of this dinosaur.

I know they made a box that went in place where the visors are for the S-10 trucks. Dont know if they ever made them for Toyotas. If so, I would suggest above the visor to keep it out of sight. I try to keep mine looking bare inside so as to keep the thiefs away.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:51 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Chef - oh man, I like where you installed the CB...all your looong thought processes paid off. I really think I'm going to move mine at some point. I also want that antenna bracket that you bought, so I might order one of those and then move my CB to the console. Anyway, good job, I can't wait to see the bracket video and the fire ring cable install.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
URP to you too :-D

a cb will work fine with the engine off but it will use power more than a radio will

where ya got it a right angle mic connector would be VERY handy

munch munch LOL

video removed by the user... Hmm suspicious.....

looks good still if ya keep the connector in there id get a right angle 090 degree mic connector its not expensive but will make it a longer lived cable
Do you mean a right angle before where it enters the console or where the 5 pins join inside/mic to connector?

Liked that burp? Hahaha..... Sorry, I was trying to make them as short as possible so I just left it alone. NOW I will apologive! Haha

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I got a kick out of you getting the Christmas thief on the right track. I had a similar experience when I was 17. Some friends and me were playing in a farmers field, I was riding but the other 2 had their cars. The farmer chased us off when some shot gun blast. I understand "No Tresspassing" signs quite well. I still see those 2 other guys from time to time and dont blame him a bit.

I hear you on the computers. I cant watch the videos as mine is in slow motion. Poor connection but it does let me keep up with what is going on. I really need to just get rid of this dinosaur.

I know they made a box that went in place where the visors are for the S-10 trucks. Dont know if they ever made them for Toyotas. If so, I would suggest above the visor to keep it out of sight. I try to keep mine looking bare inside so as to keep the thiefs away.
If you get a chance to watch the vids, you will see I put it on the console bottom bucket. I think I got some pics, not many, but I will post what I got.... It was/is my computer, as the videos look fine from my cell and YouTube. Grrrr!

Originally Posted by coryc85
Chef - oh man, I like where you installed the CB...all your looong thought processes paid off. I really think I'm going to move mine at some point. I also want that antenna bracket that you bought, so I might order one of those and then move my CB to the console. Anyway, good job, I can't wait to see the bracket video and the fire ring cable install.
I am really happy with it too. I got in today to head to work and forgot for a second.... Then saw it only when I went to put my seatbelt on, lol.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 AM

Now I working on ideas/fitment adjustments to get the Firestick Jam- Mount to work ..... It looks as though I'm going to have to use some type of washer to fill in the space where it goes around the corner. However I can't find any bondo on the passenger side... So I think I'm good to go in that regard.

I also need to go over 4 crawler's install off routing it through the tail light... I can't remember weather he notched it a little bit or not. If so that's okay it's not a big deal... But my tail light is so tight in that pocket that I'm not exactly sure how that is going to fit up there.... Not without notching it I am guessing.... Back to the search button!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:02 PM

Terry.... Let's play "WHERE'S THAT CB REMOTE BOX?" Haha. ... jk..... but it's out of site! ( I will get better pictures today if I can... Just for now....)......

Name:  20130812_185713.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  2.56 MB

Name:  20130812_185747.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  2.23 MB

Name:  20130812_185812.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  1.72 MB

Okay guys, here is what I was talking about. Roger aka 4 crawler did in fact notch his tail light housing on the top, he wanted to prevent drilling holes anywhere in the body.....

Name:  antenna-1.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  49.0 KB

This is the type of mount I will be using but on the opposite side, as the passenger side is clean metal under the paint and the driver side is showing body filler or bondo of some type...... The bondo maybe shallow, but then again it may not be, and if I screw through it and even manage to get to the metal, it could still start to crush and then create a space as it flakes away.....

Similar to the Door jamb mount I'll be using.....

Name:  100_2737.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  27.9 KB

I just ordered this item that dragon and Jason had mentioned...

Amazon.com: Fold-Over CB & Amateur Antenna Adapter - 3/8-24: Everything Else Amazon.com: Fold-Over CB & Amateur Antenna Adapter - 3/8-24: Everything Else

Just want to give proper kudos to Advanced Specialties Inc. , Amazon seller,.... Whom returned my message within 5 minutes as I was requesting quick as possible shipping, so I could use it on my next trip... They answered me with a personal response, stating that they could totally understand and that they would do everything I could to ship it today... 30 minutes later I got a tracking number.

Something I noticed about Amazon however, well let's just say that it has me a little bit bothered. I have so many problems with password issues on Amazon. It's darn near every 3 times that I have to reset to a brand new password. Even though I check to leave it open remember me, everytime I go to use the mobile app, it shows my email never auto fills my password... And furthermore, when I go to fill in my password which I am positive is correct as I write it down every single time I've had to change it..., it almost always tells me that it's wrong! Another thing is that I have read lately how people are getting ticked off that even though they are trying to use the standard Internet sites through their phone, Amazon automatically switches it to the mobile app, even if you don't have the application stored, which puts it in that particular format... As everybody knows mobile apps are often offering less options. For instance, in the photobucket app I can never edit pictures... I have to go back to the standard or beta or whatever its called or literally do it from my computer where I can rotate or crop or do effects. I just noticed that I have a lot of issues with mobile apps, and even though they are updating frequently, they have a lot of holes in their OS.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-13-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 PM

MK-204R Firering and Trunk/Door Jamb Mounting Kit:

I apologize for asking yet again, but I am yet again installing something that, not only have I never done, but it's something that requires drilling into the chassis.... So in other words..... I WANNA GET THIS RIGHT ON THE FIRST TRY! lol. .....

Here is a video explaining what I'm thinking of doing/the questions I have. It requires I drill at least 3 holes into the tailgate door jamb.... So PLEASE? I promise to do a good white up on "how to"....

( freaking yet again, is saying that it is an unsupported video format. I am so tired of this that I don't know what to do anymore... Could you please tell me if its playing for you? Also, if you know anything about this stuff as to why would tell me that it's an unsupported video format... I'd be very grateful!)

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-13-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its not just you mark a lot of video makers have been getting this its youtube

if i can make a suggestion on the inside of the fender where you mount the antenna bracket use the widest flat washers you can or a flat plate drilled to match the mounts holes to firmly crush an hold the body metal securely so you dont get any wobble bending

id mount it a bit lower nearer the top of the tail light as 1. youve got a dent behind the spot (good way to hide it) 2. with the foldover and spring your antenna will be still plenty high over the plane of the vehicle also you want to keep an antenna straight up an down much as possible with the vehicle

if you visualize the radios signal/reception as a giant bowl over the vehicle the antenna can literally angle the bubble one of the reasons why the big rigs lean their antennas forward as it biases the signal an reception to the front
Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 PM

Thanx! So, why would I not want the antenna leaning toward the front/base location? I have no clue, so that is why I ask. Lol.... (is it cuz it will then shell out signal to those behind me more poorly?)

I don't care about the dent.... I really just want the most effective application/INCLUDING HIDING IT BEHING THE SHELLS- 'A'- PILLAR on the pass side.......?????

Thanks so much for your personal experience sharing!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-13-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it will shorten your reception to the rear if you lean it forward now the big guys do it like a massive amount but they want to talk to people out front about road conditions to random DOT inspection stations accidents ect yours wont be too bad but it wont be equal for certain

i was teasein bout the dent but its a good spot
Old 08-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Looks super nice Chef, ALL of it. I've got to get in the habit of checking your thread 5 times a day just to keep up!
...and now the hubby's yelling something about the dog eating a bunch of blackberries he dropped.....
Will be back for more!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
it will shorten your reception to the rear if you lean it forward now the big guys do it like a massive amount but they want to talk to people out front about road conditions to random DOT inspection stations accidents ect yours wont be too bad but it wont be equal for certain

i was teasein bout the dent but its a good spot

Dragon, you got me thinking with your statement about the big rigs and leaning antennas. Here is some info right from Firestik...bottom line, you should NOT lean your antenna if possible, and if you do, no more than 15 degrees. Apparently the big rigs do it for a couple of reasons which are outlined in the link.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/ant-angle.htm

And Chef, if you're worried about the height, to be honest with you, I wouldn't use that bendable thing you bought. The spring is there in case you forget to remove the antenna to go in the garage, the spring will flex and nothing will break, with that bendy thing, it will probably be the weak point and break. Instead of getting out to go around back and bend the antenna, I would just unscrew it and put it in the back of the truck. Just my .02, I know you already bought it and may as well give it a try, but seems no harder to remove the antenna than to fold it over.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:34 AM

GREAT to hear from you,..... Habit! I hope you're well!

Thank you very much, Cory! I really appreciate it when people take the time like that, like Dragon and Terry and some of the others do all the time as well.

15 degrees hey?... I guess I should just try to keep it straight, so in that case I know just where my balance is and I will do my best.

I think the 'Acstatic'- Brand Foldable is supposed to have a super tight fit and not easily pulled from whatever its mounted to. I was actually trying to get as much of it as possible above the roof... Bcuz, well, as I'm understanding it, the higher above your ground plane you can get the better...??? That's why I chose a three foot is because I knew that even with just the spring, a minimum of 33 percent of the firestik would be above at least the shell. However I will definitely be removing it when I'm not on trips or 4 wheel drive expeditions. I guess the foldable part is helpful when there are serious overhang clearance issues as well... But then that's what the springs for, & I suppose having it in the rear should prevent it from breaking the glass or denting my vehicle, lol.

I was also told by another guy, at Wolcott, that because I have a fiberglass shell, putting it in the opposite corner should be fine. 2nd gens, it would work ( because even those use sometimes do dual whips ), but with one on the opposite corner it might not be AS ideal, unless it was long enough. --- I'm POSSIBLY going to have my roof rack ground to the chassis where the dome light goes in... This way I can ground all 8 of my roof rack light directly to the Rack where they are screwed in. This guy was saying if its a good enough ground it could interfere. Maybe I should run all the lights ground wires to one common ground and then ground it directly to the chassis? That way the roof rack will not become basically a floating piece of the body above the shell? I asked for him to clear some of that up but I haven't heard back yet.

Just for the heck of it on a side note I thought I would mention...

I just got an email from a guy I know in Australia, and we were discussing things in regards to air compressors... He asked, "Why don't you just put it on the roof? I did..... I mean, is that really such a terrible idea? Neither piece is very heavy nor tall at all... It's not like you're going to radically increase your center of gravity higher. And, if you get stuck in mud with a flat or something like that, where you're nearly bottomed out in the area of your compressor and you have everything mounted underneath ... , just make sure you have the hose running up into the body . I love the idea of using the spare tire area for your tank... But I would keep the compressor in the truck. ... Maybe mounting it to the wheel wheel humps inside? Or using the roll bar in some way with a bracket? " ....

Either way, aside from the CB, I want to get on the AIR and rock lights as quickly as I feasibly can. So time to knock out this CB!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang chef. I look away for a little while and BAM. Solid axle under your rig. Keep up the good work there bud. Your never going to get close to being done!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Mark, we got Labor Day weekend coming up. If my neighbors don't set up an offroad trip for that weekend then i think we should most definitely set up a local yotatech run. Well I dont know Angels crest so really it'd be you setting it up lol i'll just come along for the ride. haha Wasnt sure if we outta make a camping 2-3 day camping trip out of it or just make it a one day'er.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stevesk88
Dang chef. I look away for a little while and BAM. Solid axle under your rig. Keep up the good work there bud. Your never going to get close to being done!!!
Good to hear from ya, Steve! Hope you've been well.... You've certainly not been here. Lol... Yeah you're around 330 pages behind from where you were! Hahahahaha. I'm quite a fun ride... And while I may never be done done... I plan to be content for a while fairly soon. I'm glad you stopped by man... Don't be a stranger. I'm just about to upload some second stage of my CB install videos and pictures...

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Hey Mark, we got Labor Day weekend coming up. If my neighbors don't set up an offroad trip for that weekend then i think we should most definitely set up a local yotatech run. Well I dont know Angels crest so really it'd be you setting it up lol i'll just come along for the ride. haha Wasnt sure if we outta make a camping 2-3 day camping trip out of it or just make it a one day'er.
Sounds great.... I will see if I am free. Not sure when Pismo is..... might be then. Wanna meet Toyo and a few others... I'll have to look it up.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:02 PM

MK-204R FIRERING & DOORJAMB BRACKET KIT INSTALL:

First of all, thank you all for your patience and lending freely your ideas! Two thumbs up, woohoo, alrighty then! Haha... Honestly I'm very appreciative....

So far so good...

I hope you enjoy the videos and pictures... But really its nothing exciting. Hahaha. Although it was kind of exciting for me...

Name:  20130814_181738.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  1.99 MB

Name:  20130814_174844.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  2.33 MB

Name:  20130814_181745.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  1.73 MB

Name:  20130814_181750.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  2.76 MB

Name:  20130814_185142.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  1.65 MB

Name:  20130814_181802.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  2.59 MB

Name:  20130814_190749.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  1.94 MB

Name:  20130814_190755-1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  1.63 MB

I ran clear rtv in the groove for the coax half portal and around the top... It will not leak! Did you hear me I said it will not leak! Hehehe.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-14-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:44 AM

Forgot that I'd done this lil video....

Its just that my gremlin is all over the place and I don't even know where to start... I'm going to swap eventually and if this leads me on some wild goose chase again, I might just leave it alone for now...

Old 08-15-2013, 06:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm so glad I've not run into electrical issues yet. All those wires freak me out a bit. I don't even really know how to read the diagrams properly yet.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 AM

Chef - hmm, interesting one on your gremlin. Alternator issues perhaps. Are your grounds all good? Definitely seems electrical since just turning on the headlights really choked it.

One more thought on your antenna mount, and not that it matters now, but I think if you remove both of those allen screws from the adjustable part, and then put the piece where the antenna bolts behind the other piece, you can then insert the allen bolts from the front so if you ever wanted to adjust the angle of it you won't have to remove the whole bracket. Anyway, don't think it matters now since you have it set where you want it, but from the pics it looks like you could swap it around. Good job on the whole CB install, I really like the whole thing. Once you get the rock lights wired up, we can go ahead and trade trucks since you've just about gotten everything right where I want it.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Showing the wire sticking out of the tail light brought back nitemares of teh Uhaul lights that were are in the 3rd post of my 88s build til I seen it was a coax cable for the antenna.

On your Temp guage, it is as bad as my brothers truck was and it works flawlessly now. I can have the whole job done in less then 30 minutes. To make it a little easier and to get some slack in the speedometer cable, undo it from the clip on the firewall under the hood where it attaches to the throttle cable. That will let the guage assembly slide further out to undo the cables and connections.

Inferno shows a disc on his temp guage and the three that I have seen does not have that disc. I dont know if what I did fixed it, by using electrical tape, but what could it hurt? I use an exacto knife to cut the holes for the bolts. I am suspecting your 3 long brass studs/screws are loose. Also give them a good cleaning when you take it apart. I have seen one with green corrosion on it.

Your SR5 Guage is the one that I prefer to work on if I have the choice of buying/selling one. The ones the have the vertical and horizontal lines are harder to get the speedometer needle off to correct the mileage. Just found that out this week while working on a temp guage and some info for you since you sell parts.

If you are suspecting your Tachometer not being correct on its readings, you should get the exact same style as what you have in yours. Just changing faceplates with the other style is really is not an exact swap. There are some fairly major changes in between the 2 styles of tachometers. I am experimenting with one now. They differ considerably in construction.

I would suspect your Dashpot for some of your idling issues. Also recheck that you have no vaccum leaks on the intake. All hoses are not brittle and leaking. Have you burped your system? Raising the front end way up and letting the Thermostat cycle a few times with the cap off? I think you said you have in the past, but I may be confused with someone elses idle issue in the past. Also I have seen the throttle assembly needing a lubed,adjusted on the Peneum and Throttle body.

I think you have mentioned that you coated all of your electrical connections with dielectric grease. Make sure they dont have any green/white powdery corrosion on the contacts as well.

Copied..
I have gotten 2 guages to work. Both of the ones I fixed did not have the insulating piece that Inferno is showing. It may not be on all guages, and I am sure both of mine had never been taken apart.
Top picture is from Infernos thread.
Name:  DSCN2432_zpscdb6d2dd.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  63.1 KB

What I did and am not for sure if this fixed the problem, is I used electrical tape to isolate the two pieces, but this thread did get mine fixed. Also I did have the 3 long post loose. I have added electrial tape on both and they are working great. Great thread Inferno!!!
Name:  tempguage1_zpsb3867c04.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  43.9 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-15-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread