86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey, ....sure are Will..... That's what I use to anchor the Fire breathing-Dragon chain down in the cargo area..... Gotta have one to protect my stuff! Hahahaha...... But seriously, they've really helped out recently.
fire breathing dragon chain... HOLDS up protest sign "free the dragons" fair wages for dragons....
Old 08-05-2013, 02:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey, whatcha'all know about this dude? .....

http://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy...orn-94117.html

Reading up again on this......

http://alternatorparts.com/Toyota_hi...lternators.htm

High Output Alternators For Toyota Applications

Upgrading Toyota's Nippondenso alternator can be problematic. First the original alternators used on Toyota vehicles are quite physically small so getting any kind of low end or idle output is out of the question. Second, heavy duty alternator components that can hold up to higher outputs are limited for these alternators. The larger GM based CS-144 series alternator has a mounting configuration that is very close to the mounting configuration used on most Toyota vehicles. Check it out, If your Toyota vehicle has an alternator with the mounting type similar to the ones shown below then adapting the larger, more reliable, better performing CS-144 type single rectifier and the Patent-Pending Extreme Duty Dual Rectifier Alternator is very easy.Toyota's Nippondenso alternator front viewRear viewGM Based CS-144 type 250 amp Extreme Duty Dual Rectifier Alternator shownThe 6/12 mounting style on the CS-144 type dual rectifier alternator is a very close match. It uses the same thick mount/ thin mount arrangement just like Toyota. The Toyota "thick" mount is approximately 2-1/4" and the GM based unit has a thick mount of 2" exactly. So all you need to do is insert a few washers to shim the GM's 2" mount to the 2-1/4" Toyota bracket. Then a little wiring work which we can help. Most Toyota vehicles have the clearance around the alternator area for the larger alternator. If you do not need as much power and reliability that the Extreme Duty Dual Rectifier Alternator has to offer then we also have the 6/12 mount in a single rectifier version for a lower price than the dual rectifier alternators.

€€€€€€€€&e uro;€€€€€€€&eur o;€€€€€€€

I've emailed this person who I've seen spoken of several times, and whom I I'm not exactly turned off by when I read a hundred percent approval rating at 2500 ratings... I asked him several questions in an email and I'm waiting for an answer. I will probably call them as they're very local to me... The older threads were I read about ace alternators were mentioning a 160 amp alternator upgrade... The topic came up that basically a title it is nearly impossible to get Toyota alternators to put out super high output... And then when you do the next problem is that they are smaller and can't dissipate heat fast enough and can wind up with overheating in early failure issues. One thing I know from reading is that he has great customer service in response to everyone right quick... He answered stating that at idle of 750 rpm, the alternators put out 75 amps and I believe at 2000 rpm or basically 6000 rpm of the alternator when multiplying by 3... it was putting out 160 amps. Now when I go to his site the maximum I see for Toyota's is 130 amps. I am NOT saying that 130 amps is not enough... Definitely not. I'm just wondering what the story is in regards to why he went from 160 to 130. Maybe he's just out of the 160 version I don't know. Here is the link to this particular alternator for an 87 4 runner....

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=190581494031

Call me lazy I could give a crap! Lol... No but seriously I really just do not want to add a modified bracket or anything else... I want a drop in and go unit, and I would like to stick with Denso internals and like the idea of the upgraded diode 2 put out a little more at higher RPM's but not Frye itself at the lower RPM's. I'm curious what my 60 amp alternator puts out at idle. Does anyone know?

£££££££££££££££££££££££

Once I really started to add things up, I realize that I am going to definitely have to upgrade my alternator , as I'm aware that even at idle, the 8000 pound winch can really put an incredible strain on a battery. Now it's not very likely that I would be running my winch and all of my off road lights and my air compressor all at the same time..... But it is very possible that I would be running the winch and at least the forward-looking lights... maybe even the rock lights as well... Obviously the rock lights use hardly any power at all... But they still all add up. The Viair 480C alone pulls 20 amps. the Smittybilt winch can pull up to 40 I believe? I believe I posted on the lights already but I can't remember the amp draw... I just know that it is a total of around 400Watts @ 12V.... 33.3333 amps? Even though I have to up that when adding insulation to the wiring... I think on two posts of the aux fuse block at 30A each. ... I should be good on the lights, ..... But as far as amperage output... Even the lights alone need handling that at least 40 amps considering insulation and distance of wire.

* Please pick up if I'm getting any of this wrong! Lol
Old 08-05-2013, 02:54 PM

dont forget to add in the running engine amps
radio, interior lights (dash ect) as needed, blower, AC clutch is a constant draw when on

which is why i too would like to get a bigger amp alt not that im afraid of modding but i have broken down on the side of the road i know a factory drop in gets ya moving faster than having to re-do things after a mod

the alt you posted mark our year plug an size looks good but how is its longevity?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:13 PM

Not sure, Will. I just know of him from threads on 4x4wire and iH8mud and I think pirate. 1yr warranty... Seems pretty standard unless you go with brand new Autozone Jaguar or GM or maybe MR2 110A? .... Then it's more of a lifetime thing. BUT, it might not be done as professionally? I think when these are "redone", they are prone to higher heat and a lil shorter life....depending on the use. Some guys are loading on them CONSTANTLY! Tons of amps to amplifiers and such? I'm sure it's harder on them. BUT, still is an Autozone or whatever..... AND, ...... Keep in mind, how often do people use a winch? The point is that you wanted to handle the load and still charge the battery... It doesn't have to be some space station alternator! Lol. However I want it to be quality and last and most importantly, along with lasting, it has to handle the load that I put on it. Off road lights are on other things that are not generally used very often. However, once again, I will be using them and when I go on my trip to the Sierras and finally get the hell out of here for a little bit... You can bet I'll be doing some exploring at night and sometimes arriving at night to certain locations I desperately need lots of light in order to set up or at least get into a safe location for the night. I know, I know, it's not super smart to go on those types of expeditions by yourself... But I've been doing this, and in the past doing it several times a year for many years, for at least 23 years... I'm pretty good at keeping with and limitations and making sure that I have a slime kit and plugs and very good spare at least some form of compressor... I do actually have the slime compressor right now... It just takes way too long and with 35's I can't even imagine! Lol. ... But at least I have it right? It does fine for pumping up beds and stuff as well... And its not a total piece of crap but it's definitely, while a quality smaller one, a bit smaller than what I want. The compressor is one of the biggest things, but that doesn't minimize the importance of having a winch especially when you are on trips by yourself... I'm not sure how many people really take into consideration how important off road lights are... It's not a matter of needing them according to your plans.... It's a matter of how often plans go awry when on a trip with other people, & especially by yourself! Air and recovery gear it's just the same... even though I've only used my hi lift jack once... I don't care that the thing is 50 pounds I would much rather have it than not have it. as long as you have plenty of recovery rope or chain it is quite amazing how much you can accomplish with a high lift. I also have a hand ratcheting eight thousand pound manual winch come along... While I should be fine with my Smittybilt... I think it is never a bad idea to have plenty of recovery gear and I have seen cases where people have strapped them to their rear bumpers and begin to pull back when their truck was about to head over a cliff and they were really having trouble backing up. I don't try to put myself in those situations but it's definitely part of the recipe for crap happens! Lol. I think having a higher output alternator is an excellent upgrade that I have never marked and wouldn't even refuse to do it more difficult version if I thought it was much more practical. And yet the other point I have is that I am going to be doing a motor swap eventually... So I really don't want to be doing things too crazy when it comes to that stuff... I would much rather drop one in that fits right away and plugs right in and then I can add some beefy wire to get up to Parr.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:29 PM

which is why i was looking at a newer model of the alt for a 93-> yes it'd need the change of the harness socket but thats not so bad to do does 120amp fits like factory an unmodified but i dont want to pay $ an find out it actually dont fit lol guess i need to make a trip down to the dealer an ask to "see" that one an compare it
Old 08-05-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its time for you to cut some doors in half...
Old 08-05-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
which is why i was looking at a newer model of the alt for a 93-> yes it'd need the change of the harness socket but thats not so bad to do does 120amp fits like factory an unmodified but i dont want to pay $ an find out it actually dont fit lol guess i need to make a trip down to the dealer an ask to "see" that one an compare it
I hear ya, buddy....... Excited to see what you do and the results thereafter

Originally Posted by '85 Yota
Its time for you to cut some doors in half...
NOOOOOOOOOOO! Lol.... jk, I know they have their practical application for sure! But I'd do give doors with quick disconnects before half doors.... Remember, I have electric everything and A/C ....... And I like using it! Hahaha.

Maybe some day, some 4xi tube doors might come into the mix. ... But not likely soon.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get a second set of doors and cut them into half doors! I had a set in kelowna just never picked em up. OOPS, prefer half over tubes, at least with half doors you have some protection from debris and mud etc.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:18 AM

HAHAHA. .... Not atm.... But trust me, I have about 15 different links bookmarked regarding half doors and tube. But as far as the tube, that shouldn't be difficult at all to provide a seal. Doors for these trucks are not cheap anymore even at the yards... I'm just really not into that at the moment. I've never really needed it, and I try two wheel with experience and restraint... And yet I know that this thing is turning into a disaster waiting to happen if I'm not careful and can't see as clearly or easily. Quite a few guys on here beautiful job of making those stores so I have all the info I would need if and when I decide to do that... And you can bet your rump that I will post plenty of pictures if I do.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:20 AM

Finally arrived from Guang Dong whatever, lol...... MADE IN ISRAEL? WTH? Hahahaha..... Maybe they shipjacked someone? Hehe.....

Name:  20130806_111849.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  2.54 MB

Name:  41wt5TUajBL_SX_.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  10.2 KB
Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 AM

To do list:

1. Unfortunately my favorite exhaust guy just lost his employee and cannot take my truck at the moment because he's way behind on custom jobs and working alone. So I need to find a shop that I can trust local to me to do a simple muffler and tailpipe custom install to work around the lift and shackles being moved back.

2. I need to install the CB, Firestik kit and BC20 Speaker.

3. Rock lights

4. Roof lights

5. Wire up winch

6. Add 12 pin aux box as my 6 pin likely isn't going to cut it.

7. CHOOSE AN OBA SETUP, ONCE AND FOR ALL! Get it ordered and get it in.

8. Super duper 2nd gen pickup rear view mirror dome light combo mod, thanks to Teuf!

9. Constant hot wire the deck lamp and an additional hidden rear window up/down switch.

* Not necessarily in the order above, and three of them or so of much more important than the others.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-06-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
You forgot the install of the dome light lens garenteed 30 extra HP.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf
You forgot the install of the dome light lens garenteed 30 extra HP.
Hahahahahhaha! YES! That is a lil pita project in an of itself......

AND AGAIN, THANK YOU, TEUF!

Teuf shot me a rear view lens cover in MINT condition! I've been looking for one of these in the yard for about 2 years! I know! You would think it would be a lot more common but every single one that I've gone to remove has turned into dust in my hand. You think I take care of stuff? This guy is the epitome of clean! Well, he's a US Marine so what do I expect, Oohrah?!?!?

Going to edit that post this moment!

PS> I also have to add the permanent hotwiring off my deck ramp and a hidden cargo area rear window switch also always hot. Thanks for the reminder buddy!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-06-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:29 PM

#6 DONE! ......

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=330928970354

Should ship today. ... Arrives on the 12th at the latest!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh wow wth.... that is much cheaper then what I got mine for! And it has more slots.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:59 PM

I did tell you about Blue Seas/the online route.... You should be good for a while, buddy....with 6. I might also add an air horn, so its getting up to 10 or so total..... and might be adding the second amp as well(if I just do a 5channel I'm ok.....but I already have the 4 channel sitting here.....hate to get another amp, ya know?)

That is the cheapest I've seen that.....they are usually around $45-50.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I can recommend this guy....it's always crowded though with older muscle cars. I used him twice on different vehicles, but I always had to make an appointment like two weeks in advance.

Hex Mufflers 1957 W Artesia Blvd

Gardena, CA 90247

By the way, Phil (machinist) failed me.....booooo. He did a real crappy job with my friends 5vz block, he said he honed the cylinders but it looked just like how I dropped it off (shiny and dirty with prior hatch marks still visible), then there was corrosion on one cylinder and he told my buddy it was good to go! and sent him home with it WTH??!! I stop by to check it out and no ways!!! it was pitted deep enough that you couldn't even bore it out. Took it over to trusty Perfect Engine and without any discussion he told me what I had suspected, that it needed to be re-sleeved and that boring was not an option as the pitting was too deep. He then told me I should have all the cylinders lightly honed....he thought I was joking when I told him another machinist already did that

I also let Phil look at the heads, I knew one was obviously cracked but didn't know whether it was fixable. Without even cleaning the heads off, meaning immediately after I put them on his bench, he flips them over and says "both these heads are cracked and aren't fixable." Take them over to Perfect Engine and he says I'll let you know after I clean them up. Only the obvious one was cracked and the other was fine.

The only thing that came back right was the crank....because he sent it out to another shop! Thank the Lord for that!

So anyhooo....that drama is now over, a good clean block with a new sleeve in cylinder 4 and two good rebuilt heads from perfect engine. I even paid them an additional $20 just to re-check the crank because I had no faith in Phil. Phil is on the bad list....
Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM

Holy CRAPOLI! Wow,.....that is very sad..... I will void him from the Brocommendations list!

I actually machined most of mine and what he did was all cherry work.....Maybe he too has turned to the Vellios philosophy. .... "SCREW IT, I'M RETIRING SOON ANYHOW!" ????? BE SURE you talk to the owners of J.A.C., letting the know? ..... They were good to 4 diff ppl I've sent there.... Maybe they don't know he's pulling stuff like this?

I ended up at Supreme Muffler(they did the 2.25 work to match the header), which has changed owners but since he had 2 in the bay, and told me it would be a couple hours/near closing, he sent his guy to drive me home and will pick me up, a few miles from tgeir shop. So far, with bending new pipe, the right Magnaflow for the application, moving things around, I'm still well under $300.... So as long as he does a nice job, I'm pleased at least with the excellent customer service!

Hopefully, .... that means #1 checked off the list as well!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-06-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:32 PM

I will get pics tomorrow...... but I did get my exhaust wrapped up. I chose a Magnaflow Barrel(like original, to go up into the heat sheild area) .......It sounds GREAT! Not too loud, but throaty enough and not high pitched or droning. Very pleased so far...... Woot. Lol
Old 08-06-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I will get pics tomorrow...... but I did get my exhaust wrapped up. I chose a Magnaflow Barrel(like original, to go up into the heat sheild area) .......It sounds GREAT! Not too loud, but throaty enough and not high pitched or droning. Very pleased so far...... Woot. Lol
about what im gona do next month except im gona do 2inch from the collector all the way out
i bought a pair of bumper end caps offa ebay for 23 an replaced my dead tablet laptop for 42 which the kiddo gets to pay me back since he punched my old one...

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread