86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ohhh now thats awesome leave it glossy! easyer to clean or paint with bed liner then hit again with black gloss to protect the bedliner from ozone an sun
Old 08-03-2013, 09:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks guys...... I think it came out pretty well. I have plenty of black, semigloss and gloss... No flat.... But the hammered works well and goes on w/out primer.... WITH A BRUSH! LOL...... gotta love it.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks pretty good Mark. No more red color back there.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Thanks Richard.... Glad you like it....

Btw, thanks again for telling your friends that I had some tires he could use. They are excellent tires and a great deal, and in the end it works out 2 being a good deal for both of us!

* So I guess that will be a heads up to anyone on my thread that was considering the five Mint 31's on SR5 WHEELS...... SOLD!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 AM

You're welcome. All that means is that we now have a +1 for our offroad trips. Well at least the more mild trips like Angels Crest. Untill he gets all his upgrades done throughout the year. Dont know how long it'll take him to SAS. But I know his welder friend is anxious to use his truck as a guinea pig. Lol.

Btw he's just as happy as you are. You got some $$$ out of this and more garage space. And he got a great deal on the rims and tires and came up on a timeing belt. He was really greatful for you. And even more when we came to installing those tires when we discovered that broken top leaf spring.

I just took the spring off for him, took the pack apart, bent the straps to remove the spring and installed my old one then put everything back together. Had him help me throughout it all but yea I know he learned a heck of a lot more in one day then what he bargained for lol

Also discovered that both of his front Aisin hubs were completely dry. Both the round and star-like seals were broken and cracked due to the last owner. So that allowed the grease to dry out and moisture to come in. So there was a tiny bit of rust going on. Called autozone, and oreily and neither had the hub gaskets. So we ordered them from the Toyota dealership. Theyll be here on tuesday. So I told him we will completely take apart the hubs and clean everything up, then great it all up really good. And while we're at it change out one of his broken wheel studs.

Anyway it came out great.

Last edited by Redeth005; 08-04-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:08 AM

Right on! I think it looked a lot better.... Glad he's happy, .... and I had a feeling that those clean arse aluminum sr5 wheels would grow on him quickly! There's just something about those wheels with that generation body style that I think looks better than any combination. Some people don't seem to like them but I think they just had a little more detail and they look great with some shine against the Matt background. I hope he doesn't paint them black or something, but that's none of my business anymore and they are his to do with whatever he wants... lol. I have always loved that color, desert tan.

I know he wants to just get right on to this swap next, but just remind him that for very little amount he could do a junk yard zouk mod and probably find some used BJ spacers....... all of it could be resold very easily and at least he would be able to handle some of the more moderate trails before having to hop in one of our rigs.

Let him know it was nice to meet him, seems like a decent dude!

PS: I know you're used to timing belt setups, but just a reminder that it is a full timing kit with Osk tensioner.... & "timing chain". Not that it's important really but just so people know that he has a 22r.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-04-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:03 AM

I'm trying to get out of lunch and dinner so that I can head up to the Angeles Crest for a few hours, come back tonight kinda thing..... But, it might be easier to do so on a weekday/tomorrow. I'll take my tripod and Canon HD mini if I go. I really want to get started on breaking things in.

However, .... I also have a small problem. My low pressure return steer house is the only thing not new. ... and is leaking. ..... I think I have some, but I will need to bleed the steering well before heading anywhere after replacing it. Grrrrrrrrr!

Also want to get my CB in and then Rock lights, so I might just use whatever spare time I can grab, today, to get stiff R&R'd/mod'd in.....

Also want to order my OBA-SETUP in the next few days.... So if anybody has any input, I appreciate it in advance, as well as appreciating what I've received so far... It's just that a tank, while not necessarily permanent, is quite the project to figure out in regards to mounting and so forth. One thing I figured I could do, if I mount the tank in the spare tire carrier location, is too run 90 degree angle fittings on top of the tank where the feed and output lines would go. If I mount to tank under there I could easily mount a hose when I'm on trips. I have A pretty decent rubber line right now that is 25 feet... I think that I would like to have a combination kit, that way I could have a two and a half gallon tank always charged up and ready to go when on the trail, rather than waiting 4 minutes....???... I could mount the Viair 480C on the wheel hump in front of the Polk 6x9's.... I would just have to find a way to use some wedge type spacers for the rounded portion on top(rubber spacers?), and then mount the vertical portion of an L bracket into the D ring holes that a couple other holes on the opposite side of the L bracket. This would keep the compressor out of the way and allow me to leave it there, pretty much... However, it is very easy to make a platform or just get one to mount the compressor so that I could then remove the compressor when not on trips. Then again, it doesn't hurt to have a compressor at anytime really..... right? Lol.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Mark, I like the black behind the bumper, blends in nicely, I did the same thing on mine, the red just stands out to much with the tube style bumpers, lol. Look forward to seeing some wheeling pics when you go, that's disappointing to hear about the steering leak, seems like something always pops up unexpectedly and at the least convenient times. Look forward to see what you come up with for the on board air, thats a mod I've wanted for a long time along with ARB lockers (dreaming) lol...
Old 08-04-2013, 12:08 PM

Hey Ed, ....

Thanks. .... And it's hard to tell, but it's really dark gunmetal w/dimples, lol(hammered black)... I thought it would be better to go with the same color that the bumper is... Not that it will make it fill out completely but I think it worked pretty well.

Yeah, I probably should have just started a thread regarding the onboard air... But I guess it's probably best to just leave one thread . I'm sure many people understandably got tired of trying to keep up with this thread and all the crises and so forth.... But I still have a few buddies to hang out here once in awhile and I hoped that someone would just tell me straight out and in quotes, do not, absolutely do not buy that piece of crap... Buy that one and then do this! Lol. There are tons of friends on pirate and other sites, and I'm sure there are a couple hear that I just haven't found... They will give me a really clear picture of the best way to do this. I got under the rig with Jason of Tennessee and really looked it over and I think she is right that above the drive line and closer to the fuel tank, a 2.5 or even larger tank could go right there... I just don't know about the elbows and things like that. I'm not a compressor expert and I noticed that most guys mount the tanks in the back... That will absolutely not work for me as I sleep in the truck 90 percent of the time. Its way warmer and way more comfortable... And now I have the Napier tent truck back tent... I'm trying to figure out a way to make that work,... Yes, another problem, because my new bumper kinda complicates things as far as fitment. But I will try my best to figure it out.... I think as long as I keep a tank down there very clean and have a good filter or dryer... I should be fine. I actually have several tanks but they are mostly propane or freon. ....... Just a little to stubby/tall.

My other things to work out is if I separate the tank that comes with the kit for the 480C. I'm sure I can, but obviously I would have to come up with some type of longer hoses and so forth to run it separately.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-04-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Mark, Paket ankommt Montag.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

Also want to order my OBA-SETUP in the next few days.... So if anybody has any input, I appreciate it in advance, as well as appreciating what I've received so far... .
OK you asked for it
1. Buy parts.
2.Preplumb cheap compressor. Mount it under the hood, They work great but have less than a 100% duty cycle. Air tools are over rated on the trail, and they will get the tires mostly filled.
3.Preplumb the tank. Mount it somewhere like on the roll bar.Save money with a tank from a big rig's air brakes.
4.Connect the compressor to the tank using a quality 50' hose routed along the frame rail.

Name:  WP_000858.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  WP_000966.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  95.8 KB
Name:  WP_000882.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  73.9 KB
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/.../WP_000878.jpg
Name:  WP_000878.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  65.1 KB

Last edited by Buck87; 08-04-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:18 PM

I need to paint the front trim on mine now! Yours looks great.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf
Mark, Paket ankommt Montag.
Ich bin sehr dankbar, mein Freund!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Buck87

OK you asked for it
1. Buy parts.
2.Preplumb cheap compressor. Mount it under the hood, They work great but have less than a 100% duty cycle. Air tools are over rated on the trail, and they will get the tires mostly filled.
3.Preplumb the tank. Mount it somewhere like on the roll bar.Save money with a tank from a big rig's air brakes.
4.Connect the compressor to the tank using a quality 50' hose routed along the frame rail.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/.../WP_000878.jpg
Dude,..... Very cool of you to take the time to do that! I hear ya on the whole air tools thing..... I was just hoping to at least have enough to run a 3/8 drive wrench. For the time being I definitely need one that can air up 35 inch tires. That's my main concern, so I guess I should more so focus on one that works quickly and then figure out a way like you did to mount the tank. I have someone on here that will send me a tank. I will do a little more research and then bite the bullet. Thanks again bud!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by '85 Yota
I need to paint the front trim on mine now! Yours looks great.
Woohoo! I caused someone to go out and do something? Awesome! Lol. Thanks man... Good to hear from you by the way!
Old 08-04-2013, 11:48 PM

I FINALLY. Set up/finished the shifter bezel install.... I didn't do such a great job, but it came out pretty well....

Before I get to pics of that, I have a video of how I fixed my loose console. The mounting bracket that gets mounted at the rear-mid section, to the floor, had busted both tack weld loose. That's why it was flopping around, because the bolts were tight. ... but they were tightened to a PIECE THAT WASN'T FIXED TO ANYTHING, HAHA. ... The carpet was all that was holding the bracket in place, lol........

It's saying unsupported video format, like the lay few things have. . What I can see the tag it shows and even lets me a copy a URL... I'm going to post up the video link could you please tell me if its working? I'm not sure if its something wrong with my phone or the app or what! It's really starting to tick me off...

Here it is, finished..... WHAT A ROYAL PITA! But I'm actually very pleased how tightly and securely it is in there, especially since redoing the mountain of both mounting brackets for the front and rear on the console. But I actually feels better that it ever has in years....

Name:  20130804_180016.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  2.23 MB

Name:  20130804_180139.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  2.37 MB

And then have to run down to the store and while I was a little ticked off that I couldn't take my off road trip for the day, locally, I did manage to pull up across from a construction site I had a pretty decent angle of incline and about a couple feet up ... So I stopped and took a couple pictures and was trying anyway to push the front springs a little bit...

what you think?...

Name:  20130804_190142.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  2.19 MB

Name:  20130804_190119.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  2.22 MB
Old 08-05-2013, 12:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Mark, watched your video, it's working, good stuff! Maybe that's why my console is so loose and floppy! Nice work, tripple sticks look awesome! Nice flex pics as well, I bet your getting anxious to get out and do some wheelin!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Hey Mark, watched your video, it's working, good stuff! Maybe that's why my console is so loose and floppy! Nice work, tripple sticks look awesome! Nice flex pics as well, I bet your getting anxious to get out and do some wheelin!!!
Thanks a lot man! Yeah I was definitely wanting to go today but such is life... Didn't work out that way because I want within the hour feeling so sick that I almost took myself to the doctor... Turns out I have a sinus infection starting and it really screwed up my equilibrium and so forth. I've also been battling with some major foot pain over the last couple months. I haven't wanted to really get into it because I was hoping it would just clear itself up. Stupid, I know... After years and years and years of athletics and working 20 plus years on my feet 12 to 14 hours a day... I have some serious problems with some of the strangest areas on my feet... And it feels like they're broken and on fire all of the same time. My heel on my right foot and rear of my arch on the left foot and my left foot pinky to tarsal joint, basically the bottom side and top of the left or outer portion of the ball of my left foot... There are times when I get up in the morning and have problems as well... I literally walked like a 90 year old for like 10 minutes! It's also been causing me some horrible problems were sleeping. It just hurts so bad by the end of the day and late night but I sometimes can't sleep till 3 or 4 in the morning....

I feel terrible complaining considering things that people like Will are going through.. But it is what it is and it hurts like hell. This also is probably going to lead to me taking a lot more time off of my feet everyday while I work it out and this will mean probably just doing breakfast or dinner and fighting my urge to stay on the kicks for hours n hours on end on my free time ... I appreciate everyones support and thoughts and prayer through so many of the seemingly back to back crises that I've been through.. I could really use some for myself on this one .

Thanks a lot guys and again, HECK YES, ...... I am so excited and anxious to go on a nice off road trip and throw in some camping as well!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
self tapping screws always a great help
Old 08-05-2013, 12:12 PM

Hey, ....sure are Will..... That's what I use to anchor the Fire breathing-Dragon chain down in the cargo area..... Gotta have one to protect my stuff! Hahahaha...... But seriously, they've really helped out recently.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread