86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
harbour freight comes with rivets too still got mine 16 yrs later well not the rivets but lol
Old 07-31-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
harbour freight princess auto napa. they all have em for relatively cheap. Not sure what your equivalent to Canadian Tire is in the states but I got one from C tire for like 20 bucks and it came with a box of rivets.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Mark could you show the positioning of your Steering Stabilizer. I installed mine today and realize there are more than a few options.
Thanks
Paul
Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 PM

Hi chef, ive been following your build for awhile and gotta say your runner is one awesome rig, a dream rig of mine i must say.
It's taken me awhile to get caught up but i'm catching up on a few builds, yours, Redeth and toyotech's build, lot's and lot's of reading to say the least,
well anyways, i'm trying to trade my 92 hilux for a first gen 4runner, I owned a 87 4runner about five or six years ago and regret selling it, my wife and i are expecting our first child in october so i need to get a 4runner soon, the hilux is too small for a car seat, but anyhoo when i get the runner i hope to soon get to wheel with you guys, you all seem like a great bunch of yota guys, i'll definetly be following your guys tips and ideas, thanks for the great build!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
harbour freight comes with rivets too still got mine 16 yrs later well not the rivets but lol
Originally Posted by bbrideau
harbour freight princess auto napa. they all have em for relatively cheap. Not sure what your equivalent to Canadian Tire is in the states but I got one from C tire for like 20 bucks and it came with a box of rivets.
Princess? Hmmmmm.... Can I get my own princess there? .... She could have her servant ppl find me a new 2JZTTE and put it in with me! Haha. Jk, and thanks Brandon, Will, for the tips!

Originally Posted by Teuf
Mark could you show the positioning of your Steering Stabilizer. I installed mine today and realize there are more than a few options.
Thanks
Paul
Sure will.....

Originally Posted by selk78
Hi chef, ive been following your build for awhile and gotta say your runner is one awesome rig, a dream rig of mine i must say.
It's taken me awhile to get caught up but i'm catching up on a few builds, yours, Redeth and toyotech's build, lot's and lot's of reading to say the least,
well anyways, i'm trying to trade my 92 hilux for a first gen 4runner, I owned a 87 4runner about five or six years ago and regret selling it, my wife and i are expecting our first child in october so i need to get a 4runner soon, the hilux is too small for a car seat, but anyhoo when i get the runner i hope to soon get to wheel with you guys, you all seem like a great bunch of yota guys, i'll definetly be following your guys tips and ideas, thanks for the great build!
Thanks so much for the kind words, Selk! That's a huge reward for me to know that it can inspire someone else

You're more than welcome to wheel with me, any time. Where are you? I can't see in the mobile app.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-31-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:03 PM

xxxxdnds

Last edited by selk78; 07-31-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:06 PM

I'm in garden grove, off the 22 at Euclid, not to far from your stomping grounds!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:57 AM

Sounds good.. Like I said, you're welcome to come, but just have to be prepared to park it and hop in a more built one to get up some trails, ya know?

Soooooo, I tried to upload a couple videos bit it keeps showing it as though it's ready, but when I click on the picture to try and start the video mediately says on a black screen unsupported format.... I've been having some real problems uploading videos to YouTube from this phone. Only recently, but still they are problems nonetheless. I haven't changed anything so its gotta be some kind of glitch...

I basically was able to build up frost King closed cell foam insulation and test mounted the triple stick boot and frame and I think that should work pretty well, and it definitely seems quieter. I also put in the drivers side connecting rod so that now they are both straight as an arrow, screwed left hand right hand all the way into the Himes and very solid... I'm pleased with how it came out and how it is shifting smoothly. Can't wait to get out there and check it out! I just need to screw the same down and then modify the shifter plastic puzzle just sits and I should be good to go !

Next step after securing this is the CB. ..... Then The Rock lights and compressor roof rack lights.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Woa, Dude,
It's 3:00 am
Old 08-01-2013, 06:48 AM

^^^ you know you drive a toyota when...

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I was reading somewhere about a guy having idle issues and his was in the Throttle Body or water line to the Throttle Body. The motor I am building has a plugged line that I havent run into in the past and could be easily over looked. Maybe this is your idle problem???
Clogged water pipe. I used a drill bit to clean it out.
Name:  motor5_zps101077f7.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  57.8 KB
Old 08-01-2013, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol seriously.
Mark never sleeps lol!

Hey Mark. Offroad trip for this sunday is off. Chris can't seem to pass his smog check. So we rescheduled for next sunday. Cool?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Buck87
Woa, Dude,
It's 3:00 am
Haha. .... Just working a party that went till 2am, when the host tossed everyone. They like to have food always readily handy to limit empty-tummy-drinking! Lol.

Originally Posted by StewsRunner
^^^ you know you drive a toyota when...

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
Yes, I agree.... It's beyond consuming at this point. ... ... ppl don't understand how I cam be thinking about resolving issue with the truck at 3am..... much less waking up and is the FIRST thing to come to mind! DAYUMMMM I need a girl again! Lol......

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I was reading somewhere about a guy having idle issues and his was in the Throttle Body or water line to the Throttle Body. The motor I am building has a plugged line that I havent run into in the past and could be easily over looked. Maybe this is your idle problem???
Clogged water pipe. I used a drill bit to clean it out.
Thanx, Terry. I'm pretty sure mine is flowing well. Remember when upon my first rebuild I had that wrap around pipe that goes up into the center of the intake leaking before I could even start it the first time for breaking in? When I replaced that wrap around type I also replaced the one on the back of the timing cover on the passenger side. I could have sworn that my timing cover pipe like that had 2 smaller parts coming out of the side... But I can't be sure without looking back at my pictures. I'm probably just thinking of something else. Maybe the idle air control valve. I know that that pipe feeds the idle air control valve but I thought there was another one. ......

Here it is, you're right, one offset pipe. This one in the pic was replaced due to rot on the end/big pipe hose clamp area......

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  162.3 KB

I doubt it but will definitely consider that it's possible and add it to the list.... Also adding Dragons reminder of the throttle body micro vacuum ports.... Then also will check the throttle plate and shaft....

Also considering Toyo's repostings of the recalls/part numberd upgrades..... IT HAS to be something stupid I've just looked right over a hundred times!

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Lol seriously.
Mark never sleeps lol!

Hey Mark. Offroad trip for this sunday is off. Chris can't seem to pass his smog check. So we rescheduled for next sunday. Cool?
Tell me about it! Lol. .... At this rate I might slrep forever,...before my time! Lol.... Gotta pace myself.

It is what it is, Richard... Nothing you can do about it. However, I will likely head up to the Angeles crest for the day on Sunday. I might even just go over night from Saturday to Sunday. I will let you know in case you want to go with. I figure you're probably trying to watch the gas expenditure and would probably want to limit it to one weekend this month, especially considering the dog... but, then I really don't want to speak for you on this so I will wait for you to let me know if you are interested.

Ok, so as I'm often reiterating ....."OH BOY, NOW WHAT?!?!?!" ..... Its not with the Redrum.... But rather, the Honda! Grrrrr!

THIRD LOCK CYLINDER IN A ROW! This time, the ignition cylinder, right in the middle of a funeral procession beginning and trying to get moving again...!!! I got us back in the car and was going to leave the key would not turn. Just like with the driver side door lock, which I had to have repaired for $480( it has a safety feature related to a chip in the key, to prevent another Honda key from starting the car or opening a door... So you have to get the Honda lock cylinder and then have it ground to fit the same key).... and now the passenger side door lock doesn't work... But worse, as I was just saying,... Ignition key started to get problems and then finally failed for about 10 minutes to turn during a funeral procession where we were near the front! In spite of millions of hits describing lock cylinder drama with Hondas, as well is considering the fact that the car has a mere hundred thousand miles in 10 years..., they somehow have no recall on this and anybody that owns these can pretty much plan on having to pay for new locks eventually!

So instead of working on my console and shifter hump, of course I instead wound up dealing with the dealer and service centers and then finally just now 15 minutes ago had it towed down to the local service center. I have to say that Alex over at the Torrance Center was exceptionally great compared to some of the people I spoke to. He took the labor down 2 basically cost and found a way to get me a little better deal on the parts. I'm sure with a little research I could have done this on my own but with the amount of discount I am getting on labor I think it's well worth it. I also want to mention once again that I highly recommend people get AAA, and if possible upgrade to premiere. This is paid for itself more than once by the fact that you can get a discount for two cards that is quite incredible and that leaves us total of 400 miles towing between the two of us... No charge! They also offer unlimited basic service where they have delivered and installed two batteries for me so far, one in the Honda and 1 in my daughter's Honda... No labor and done right in my driveway... Not to mention winding up with a battery that has about a hundred cranking amps better then the auto parts store that was jerking me around on prorate, and then telling me while I set there in the driveway that the thing was passing your test and they wouldn't honor the refund.... And not forgetting to mention that the battery, in spite of being a better quality one made for them by Sears, was $20 less and no effort for me! I even spoke with him about a new gelatin type battery that they have that is in competition with the Optima... It's not cheap but I believe it is basically a die-hard marine platinum... I have nothing against off tomorrow but while it seems they have fixed some of the problems they were having with the red top... I don't really ever remember reading any problems ever with the die-hard platinum? Obviously they aren't cheap either! Lol... I'm just thinking ahead for when I possibly upgrade my alternator to deal with a high of a compressor and all the lights... But then again, there is no rule that I need to leave all the lights on and stereo with amplifier and everything else while I run the compressor... And I believe the 70 amp alternator that I have should be able to handle most of it independently of each other...

Oh yeah, the winch... I guess it's a little power as well! Lol. I think it can be handled, but eventually I will upgrade to a drop in 110 amp and a little better battery. I gotta say though, the gold top duralasts have never let me down, ever! Speaking of the winch I have to wire that up finally...
Old 08-01-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Also adding Dragons reminder of the throttle body micro vacuum ports....
shooting a bit of carb cleaner down the vacuum lines cant hurt an makes sure their clear

you know id almost go with toyo's part changes a sensor or something is working but oddly

sorry to hear bout the honda only one ive owned is a 3 wheeler 200M which isnt any help to ya
Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 PM

a couple of terribly done videos... Not so much terrible but just not complete and the reason is the first one, my camera went nuts and just froze up... So I started again. after this I insulated the entire hump and surrounding areas and we'll be doing some more of that before I secure down the triple shifter rubber boot and frame..... And then try to install the plastic bezel with a half leather boot install...

Old 08-01-2013, 01:45 PM

Thanx D! Just saw your post after I was done typing. there's really not much of anything that can be done other than letting them fix it at this point, because I simply don't have the time to do a bunch of research and cannot afford for one day more to have the car down. It is quickly becoming a daily driver, for obvious reasons... I am heading out to work on completing the shifter set up, and then I should be good to go on getting started with the CB! Wooot! hahaha
Old 08-01-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I definately want dual cases in the future!!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 PM

A couple more videos.....

Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 PM

um mark you've set both vids to private..
Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
um mark you've set both vids to private..

I swear I didn't! Grrrrrr! I'm gonna have 2 see if reloading the app will help! Argggggh! Haha

FIXED! .....

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-01-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread