86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Chef did you have any issues with the Bilsteins bushings fitting over the upper rear mount. I am flummoxed at its lack of easy fit?.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Teuf
Chef did you have any issues with the Bilsteins bushings fitting over the upper rear mount. I am flummoxed at its lack of easy fit?.
Hey bud,.... I just pulled em and did some cleaner up there I didn't want on the shocks.... getting ready to mount my rock lights.... No issues reinstalling them...

I've had issues with new shock bushings sitting over the original shock mounts, especially on the bottom where the mounted previously to the u-bolt mounting brace/shock mounting rod. ... A lot of the old versions that were original wore off on to that shaft, and combine with corrosion, the Rancho bushings which or one inside and outside with a tapered washer on the outside... They really we're giving me trouble. I took some steel wool, the coarse type, and then clean them really well with some purple power and then took what I believe was medium grit metal sanding emery cloth and actually had to grind of some of the corrosion that built up under there. This time I make sure to grease them lightly , and they went right on from that point forward without any issue..... The top mount is slightly different but can still need the same cleaning quite often on these old little buggers.

I will be putting up some pictures for you, or whoever is interested, tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:18 AM

Well, after about a little more than 2 hours of this...

Name:  20130726_131656.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  1.94 MB

I finally got to meet up with Jason in Fontana.... we look everything over, a couple times, then we loaded his parts into his little side compartment( only after some really cool side of the road redneck tack weld annihilation so that he could get his mounting tabs for the rear quarter panel plastic runners behind the wheel.... actually that was the only one that I hadn't removed lol) NICE IMPROV, BUDDY!.....

Then I shot a quick pic of me towing his 52 footer around! LOL jk...

Name:  20130726_163158.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  2.56 MB

As I said on your thread, it's always great to see you but it was very cool to be able to hang out for a few hours man! You guys are good people! Thanks for lunch and I hope that I created another Fatburger fan! Hahahahaha...

On the way home I stopped really quick on one last errand and as I looked down,....

Name:  20130726_214210.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  990.8 KB

Wooooot! 532 Miles, time to change out the diff fluid!

Can't wait to get out there and start breaking in the springs/4.7's and get the Triple sticks down! Before I have the problem the other day with connecting rod, I did manage 2 engage the pretty much 11 to 1/4low in first gear.... Its pretty funny because I almost literally got out of the truck when it started to crawl about a second or so later... I didn't have my phone with me at the time, but I will definitely be getting video and plenty of it as I do a little funny ghost crawling! Lol. ... Just like Ian has shown with his setup... You can literally put this thing in first gear and 4.low, 2.28 x 4.7 and get out, do homemade pasta on a long bench table and be finished and putting it in the refridgerator to rest by the time the truck gets to the end of the table. It just was absolutely shocking how crazy that gearing is! ...... It almost seems like its slipping or something because I am used to just the 2.28 transfer case gearing.

Oooooooh, what's this? Anyone? ....

Name:  20130727_000950.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  2.02 MB

YEP! You guessed it! Ok, maybe not, Haha.......

Name:  20130727_001948.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  2.08 MB

Name:  20130727_003015.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  2.11 MB

Name:  20130727_002846.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  2.28 MB

AND SAME DAY, all within 2 days of correcting my card info on Amazon!.....

Name:  20130727_003943.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  1.69 MB

Name:  20130727_004100.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  2.02 MB

This later item is a kit at a great price, it all was, via Amazon, ALL Via USA manufacturers and vendors (1 in PHX and the other in TORRANCE, just 3 miles from me! )....LOVE THAT! LowRangeoffroad.com Supplied the Radio kit, ......Another Amazon Vendor in Los Angeles supplied the Uniden (same Company as Cobra[tm] lol..) BC20 Bearcat 20Watt Speaker....

Name:  20130725_111500.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  2.58 MB

Jason was totally willing and actually looking forward to helping me install the radio kit... I brought it with me to show him... But again I had a great time just having some good conversation and the tasty Fatburger! It probably would have been plenty fun doing that install with him . . . but I'm glad we got to just talk and hang out Instead. He had already spent close to an hour getting all the parts back out to get his drill so he can get the mounting tab off of my truck... I can get his expertise on the phone by shooting him some pictures and video... As I said, I'm glad we just got to kick back, instead!

Yotatech....hmmmmmm....I think it's very cool and unique in relation to meeting people that you get to know on the Internet. Never really had an interest in that before. But for some reason in this community of do it yourselfers and Toyota lovers in specific... it just wound up that way for me! Very grateful for some very decent homies that I've met on here!

PS> HEY JERRY! B! WHERE YOU AT? Hahaha. ... inside joke, lol.

PSS> Gonna PM you shortly, Thook!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
parts parts parts glorious parts!

sing with me! parts parts parts OH glorious parts!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:46 AM

I was singing, ....just now. .... Did ya hear? Lol.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey mark, your the one that has to put the effort into meeting up, your pic of traffic shows that. I have been around YT for a long time, not as long as some but you know what I meen. I have met some great people on this site, some I've had the honer to meet in person others that have become only a phone call away, and some that it never moves past the forums but all great people. It was great getting to hang out today some times its nice to just kick back with freinds on the side of the road lol. Look forward to doing it again.

P.s. thanks for the parts now after I get it running again I can put a few more things back together.

Last edited by jason in tn; 07-27-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:27 AM

Likewise, Bud!

You'll get it, Jason. I would guess that you frustration is amplified quite a bit because you can't just spend several days after work running through a series of P.O.E. steps. Instead, you have to brainstorm while on the road, doing as much research as possible and taking notes... And then upon returning home you have a short period of time to try run through that process of elimination. I know added to that is the problem that you have plenty of other things that have to get done while you're home.

As you could see with mine, I am back to an issue with the idle air adjustment screw and the fact that I have to have it turned out way too much again... I have really got no clue how the screw came to be turned out so much again... I'm going to have to call Eric over at the shop and see if they ended up having to adjust it and why. None of what they had going on had anything to do with the engine. However, when I pulled in there the first time with the truck I showed them the hot start issue, and all three of them were somewhat baffled. Obviously that's not very comforting, but the point is that I'm starting to wonder if and then what happened that may have caused them 2 have to adjust the screw out.

From cold, it idles right up to 1100 or so rpm.... Gradually decreasing down to 750 and holding just fine. When I restart it while warm it always does the same thing if it is sitting for several minutes... It basically runs like crap like its running on 2 cylinders until I stab the skinny pedal for a few seconds, and I seem to hear the fan shut off and it goes away . I think the fan is just coincidence as I don't notice any problems at all with cooling or otherwise. However, I don't think it would be foolish maintenance to rebuild my fan clutch. I believe 4 crawler, LCE, 22REperformance.com and others supply a kit. I also believe that I have a problem with my temperature gauge in the SR5 cluster. The oil sending fix in regards to swapping out the gauges in the cluster seems to have worked... But the coolant temperature swap seems to be doing the same thing. As I've said many times, I would suspect, more so, the sending unit..., but the problem with that is, that when I tap on the cluster, the needle will pop up from dead 0. A bigger problem is that when it pops up, it doesn't seem to matter how cold it is it shoots right up to the 3rd mark. ò.ó ....lol..... I never have any major push into the overflow or boiling even in extreme conditions in Lake Havasu while four wheel driving with the air conditioning on in 118 degree Fahrenheit weather...... But then again I don't want to overwhelm the cooling system with an inadequate fan. It is very possible at nearing 300,000 miles the fan could possibly use A refresh... But I just can't seem find the thing ever binding up or anything like that. Just got to say, like having a steering arm stud break off..... As with the fan you better have some serious parts backup or availability in order to get home from BFWherever!

I know that this particular gremlin hunt that I occasionally go on is annoying to people that have followed along,......but it can't possibly be as annoying to you as it is to me, haha. And, as I know has been mentioned many times,..... "There has to be something causing this and more importantly is the question of whether or not it is causing damage or dramatically shortening longevity!" Whatever is going on, the recent revelation that my idle air screw is needing to be out so far... It's really causing me to consider the fact that I may have some serious rich conditions going on. The odd thing about the gremlin is that it doesn't seem to get any worse... And the crappy part is that it won't just simply go away! Hahahahaha.

So much like many other things with these vehicles, nothing seems to ever just slowly go bad aside from fuel filters and other mechanical objects like fuel pressure regulators or otherwise. They just simply die, those suspect parts, rather than withering and revealing themselves. Dang it! But really what that means is that it's usually some other totally ridiculous thing or some complicated fuel and air mixture management drama that is very difficult to find.

I am starting to believe that either my fuel pressure regulator or fuel damper or something within my emissions system is causing this problem. Yes, the fuel pressure regulator seems to be passing the tests... But there really is no test for the damper that I know of. EGR also passes the tests. ... But that doesn't mean it's functioning properly.(yet I doubt it would cause an intermittent hot start issue). I also seem to get nearly twice the mileage on the highway. This is a tough one to validate as the driving conditions in my area, as many can tell you, are absolutely horrible stop and go with lots of hills thrown in. One day in the not-too-distant future I plan to test out some city conditions out in the country by just making up my own 0 to 35 and hold for a couple miles then stop then 0 to 35 and hold for a couple miles and stop. Just to see what her averages are. It really doesn't matter that much to me anymore aside from the fact of what I formally mentioned... Something is wrong with my truck and I don't want to cause any damage to the motor that I completely rebuilt myself! It's either, like I said, within the fuel pressure or maybe I have the good old wiring crimp injector pair drama syndrome like many have had. I wouldn't be too surprised as I have really moved around and manipulated that 30 year old wiring harness horse shoe way too much! Lol.

I so wish that I could have someone like JustDSM or otherwise who has built several harnesses and done several swaps to just sit here with me for a day and figure out what the hell this is once and for all. As annoying as it is I am NOT going to just start throwing all kinds of parts at it. However, I do have many spare parts, including 3 spare air flow meters, a spare fuel pressure regulator, a spare ignitor and coil,... Pretty much the only thing I don't have a spare of is one of the injector resistor solenoids..... I don't really know much about those in regards to troubleshooting..... I just can't remember what I have read in regards to people suspecting those. I would imagine if it fails you would simply have full time full on voltage going to the injectors... Unless it's setup to just shut down the system?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-27-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:11 PM

^^^^^^^ If ANYONE had any thoughts, however silly you may think it is, ......PLEASE share? ? ? ^^^^^^^
Old 07-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Ach Du Lieber Chef. I can say that we all wish that this would resolve itself or respond to your diagnosis. I feel the pain of seeing your wonderfully built rig persist in having such a silly problem........ Just Dang.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:16 PM

ideas here

on the gauge take it out gently clean all its contacts till shiny clean the flexible circuit strip on the cluster with a pencil eraser at the gauge and the harness connector till shines
check the harness for the gauge near the sender tug! on it my oil pressure sender issue was a corroded wire internally corrosion adds resistance

the idle air screw could it be walking out on its own? vibration in the engine? does it have a seal on it (oring or otherwise) could it be missing?

just ideas
Old 07-27-2013, 03:20 PM

HOLY CRAP CHEF!!! i missed alot, when did you do the twin transfercases and sas? this thing looks amazing, nice work my friend!

Last edited by dropzone; 07-27-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found this when trying to find your problem chef

Originally Posted by ra33it
There was a recall, for this problem, under TSB ENG011892010.

The fix involves replacing the temperature switch P/N #89428-2428 with P/N #89428-26020 which reduces the temperature the switch activates the fuel-up system from 110 degrees C (230 degrees F) to 60 degrees C (140 degrees F) and replacing the cold start injector time switch P/N #89462-30011 with P/N #89462-20050 which increases the temperature at which the start injector time switch activates the cold start injector from 35 degrees C (95 degrees F) to 45 degrees C (113 degrees F).

Apparently this is supposed to resolve the hard idle problems when warm. I haven't tried it yet, but the bulletin came up in the late 80's....
Old 07-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
I can relate to your current issue. Frustrating as heck when all seems well and than a random part takes a nose dive.

You are going to like your Cobra. I had one in my '05 Taco and was an idiot and forgot to pull the unit when I sold the truck...a new one is in the Trekker
Old 07-28-2013, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Teuf
Ach Du Lieber Chef. I can say that we all wish that this would resolve itself or respond to your diagnosis. I feel the pain of seeing your wonderfully built rig persist in having such a silly problem........ Just Dang.
DANG FORSUREGEN! Hehe. ... , thanks man, I appreciate it. It sure is ridiculous. There are so many times I wish I would have just thrown a 350 in here and moved where there is no smog! Lol. I did almost do a 5.0 swap a few years ago... And even those have their problems, just ask Nate. I can at least say this, the freaking thing just keeps going and going even though it's a little pain in the ass....ignment! haha.

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
ideas here

on the gauge take it out gently clean all its contacts till shiny clean the flexible circuit strip on the cluster with a pencil eraser at the gauge and the harness connector till shines
check the harness for the gauge near the sender tug! on it my oil pressure sender issue was a corroded wire internally corrosion adds resistance

the idle air screw could it be walking out on its own? vibration in the engine? does it have a seal on it (oring or otherwise) could it be missing?

just ideas
I believe the o-ring was still there, soft'ish and I cleaned it out really well in there & I have cleaned the throttle body to the point that it was immaculate and I could fit the smaller pins through those tiny ports...... I almost ordered the LCE idle air adjustment screw. .... Maybe 3 months ago? I don't know why I guess because I felt it was probably a good idea to replace the o-ring and I think they had it on sale for like $8.00. Anyway I didn't do it, lol.

Thanks for the other tips as well... I really want to get my gauge working solidly, without issue... I did swap over to this gauge at least its not dropping off the map out of nowhere and then flicking back up... But it is definitely whacked out and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Originally Posted by 1986yota4x4
HOLY CRAP CHEF!!! i missed alot, when did you do the twin transfercases and sas? this thing looks amazing, nice work my friend!
Hey buddy! How you been? Thank you very much for the compliment... I've put a lot of work into it and even though I didn't get to do my own SAS... I'm very pleased how it turned out and grateful that I was able to have a good dude like Eric at Yotamasters handle it!

Good to hear from you man! Stop on by again, soon, I got a lot going on.

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
Found this when trying to find your problem chef
Toyo, thank you! that is so cool of you to post that up for me man! I'm definitely starting to think that it's some weird wonky gremlin that's nearly impossible to find without some serious technical investigation! Lol. I did some more 50 percent Ether testing today as a form of at least trying to do a little process of elimination... Vacuum leaks being the topic. Not a single rise in idle unless I shot it somewhere near the air intake... I even shot a little pool of it into the idle screw on the throttle body and it basically evaporated & never made it in there, because I know if it was leaking it would have sucked it right in there.

All of my vacuum lines are new Toyota or better, all of the routing is correct and the modulator is new... As far as the coolant temperature sensor, mine is new / Toyota... But I need to find the receipt and see what part number they gave me. My cold start injector time switch is original. I'm sitting here and soaking that up and thinking... Holy crap that thing is like $240! Lol. Honestly, I've started to suspect the throttle body as well as it is fairly erratic.( the throttle plate shaft on these is notorious for causing problems, they wear out and can stick or do other weird crap and can cause people to change their tail for ever!...) ...

Today, after adjusting the idle screw down to nearly level it was idling around 500 rpm. I adjusted it too around 600 rpm and then drove around for a fairly short amount of time, maybe 10 minutes total and plenty of time to get up to temperature. At one point I came to a stop light and it was running very smoothly and a around 900 rpm, according to the tachometer of course, which are notoriously off and if you don't believe me take it to a smog shop that hooks up they're $10,000 meter and it will often tell them that your rpm is around 900 and sometimes more when it is actually reading 750 rpm right on the dot on the tach. Anyway, my point is that it was very obviously changing itself due to some circumstance or another. I'm telling you guys, I'm very grateful to have a motor that runs so well, especially considering how much of it I did myself which was pretty darn nerve racking over the first few thousand miles! Lol.... But, it is absolutely frustrating at times to have fuel or ignition or just simply weird wiring or sensor related gremlins that are almost impossible to find and after doing what, around 200 hours at least of searching and research and testing over the last few years , only to go through three motors that carry over the same darn gremlins no matter how many new parts I've thrown at it simply due to maintenance. I guess my dad was right when it comes to Toyota... He always told me, even with plugs, that if they didn't look fouled to "just leave them the hell alone!... You start changing things on these and they simply do not like it!" Lol. Of course I know he's not 100 percent correct but I know what he meant, heehee. He had 85 Cressida 375,000 miles and he bought it with a hundred thousand and it ran perfectly and have the same plugs as when he bought it. When I first rebuilt this motor, or should I say the motor that had to be scrapped thanks to Vellios, I still was running the same Denso plugs that had been there 140,000 miles and it barely had a hiccup at all! Granted the thing was leaking like a pig and the compression was quickly starting to fall... But with just a few minor repairs I could have probably kept going another hundred thousand miles. Its all good though, I am not complaining because I've had a great time learning and met many people that I consider friends... It's just frustrating, plain and simple!

Originally Posted by dropzone
I can relate to your current issue. Frustrating as heck when all seems well and than a random part takes a nose dive.

You are going to like your Cobra. I had one in my '05 Taco and was an idiot and forgot to pull the unit when I sold the truck...a new one is in the Trekker
Thanks for the encouragement and of course for the input! I'm looking forward to getting it put in but I have an update as to why I didn't get right at it. Lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-28-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:44 AM

Today.... ahhhhhh!

It got pretty hot today but in between working and trying to do some stuff on the side for the funeral of a friend of the family... I decided I should try to get out there I'm at least change up my diff fluid...

I did that and then cleaned up the axle fairly well...... It was bugging me, haha...

Name:  20130727_153040.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  1.20 MB

Name:  20130727_160640.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  1.64 MB

Here is the before and after of the magnetic plug residue... It wasn't that bad at all... Very fine sludge as it should be and no larger pieces whatsoever, even in the fluid drained...

Name:  20130727_152747.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  2.09 MB

Name:  20130727_152927.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  2.18 MB

Another little funny side by side of the black rims and the outlaw 2's... I know, I know, without putting them on possible to tell if I would like it or not...

Name:  20130727_154022.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  2.01 MB

Name:  20130727_153914.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  1.81 MB

at somewhere around 3 o'clock, I went up and checked my mail... There, already, was my flat rate envelope from Rory of RADesigns, containing my two left and right hand, 5.5 inch, 1/4 x 28 triple stick connecting rods... I gotta tell you, after struggling for around two and a half hours, taking looks and coming back and forth to slam on the floor and cut out the hole a little bigger, up and down from the cab to the floor and reaching up in there at that angle with my potatoes for hands... I absolutely see what Eric meant by what a total pain in the ass this thing is in my particular rig. I totally believe Rory when he says that some people have hardly any issue at all and others have to really work to get them to fit or just cut more... I wound up doing both and I also realized something. When you go to dual cases, then add triple sticks... I'm willing to bet a Fatburger that no one winds up with an easier time of the passenger side or 2 wheel drive / 4 wheel drive stick..... See, the transfer case stick is not really directly behind the transmission shifter... And not only that but the fact that your front transfer case is no longer all that it was... All that is left is the center guts and bearings..... You're basically left with about 6 inches of transfer case. If you look from beneath on my rig, the adjusting slots on the crossmember are very close to each other on space and the drain plugs and so forth are dead on... So I guess that's just how it winds up, and subsequently you wind up closer to drop off on the right of the transmission hump. Once again, holy crapoly! This is clearly something that you want to get absolutely right before you take it up in the place and mount your cross member. There is absolutely no room to work on the rear heims in my set up. ... Anyway, again, I promise I do not mean to sound like I'm complaining... Just declaring that it was quite a struggle to just do one side. The other one that was also manipulated to fit and slightly bent is really shifting easily and doesn't seem to be a problem in any way. I still am going to change it because I want it right and not likely to cause me a problem on the trail... As I mean if you later the truck around and put it in neutral on the crawl box amongst other things... By the time I got back to the garage it was shifting fairly easily from 2 to 4 wheel drive......

I did some video and I am waiting for them to upload. Very busy evening after getting finished... I just actually finished about an hour and a half ago.....

I would also like to ask anyone who cares to keep our family friend in your thoughts and maybe prayers if you do. .... Our friend who passed away was really hit hard and very quickly by cancer and they tried everything and it's simply wasn't working out. His wife is a very dear friend and has fairly horrible multiple sclerosis... Her husband did pretty much everything for her that she couldn't do on her own... They were married 47 years... She is literally devastated and her son is as well, also a good friend of my nephew and only 26 years old. He has to take over is fathers business now, and it is already a huge load on him when he was just doing 75 percent of it. He's been talking to me about caregiving and he is totally willing and wanting to help his mom as much as he can... But he's also going to have to support her to some extent by maintaining the business... I just feel horrible for them and I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:55 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Sorry to hear about your family friend. Saying a prayer for the family
Old 07-28-2013, 01:16 AM

hey chef, look at my new build, youll be hearing from me alot again
Old 07-28-2013, 01:28 AM

my condolences an my best wishes for your family friends

my dad had lymphatic cancer they treated called him clean an 3 months later it put him to the floor of a restaurant an 2 days after he was dead
Old 07-28-2013, 02:01 AM

Thanx guys! They are great ppl and I know will appreciate it...

As I said in my previous post, I did a couple videos pertaining to the triple sticks. I'm going to try and do at least one more explaining everything and show how I sealed it up, etcetera..... Anyway, at least for now I'm back in business with a little bit more to do still I could actually use it if I wanted on a soon to come little off road adventure...

Old 07-28-2013, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I will keep your family friend in thoughts and prayers. Sorry to hear about that. On your Solenoid Resistor, there isnt much you can really do about it. Just a resistance check on it was all I was able to find on it when I checked mine out. I hear you on these gremlins. Seems like you get one thing fixed and something else comes along. grrr.. After pulling Jason around, that ought to give alot more confidence in your gears.lol.. Glad to see you got more parts in the mail. You have alot going on.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread