86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and the chef did speak

LET there be LIGHT!

thus did it drive off the darkness leaving the world brighter an alive
the shadows fled unto the sides of the world rejoice! for the light has oh crud it went off...
Old 07-19-2013, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
You dont need headlights now, those are bright!!!! I eventually want to get a CB in again.

It is nice when traveling with someone else and needing to know when and what is going on. I used to have one in all of the time and it was great for the speed bumps back in the old days. Now people dont really say anything.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nobody uses CB's where i live, everything is VHF
Old 07-20-2013, 01:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
and the chef did speak

LET there be LIGHT!

thus did it drive off the darkness leaving the world brighter an alive
the shadows fled unto the sides of the world rejoice! for the light has oh crud it went off...
Originally Posted by Terrys87
You dont need headlights now, those are bright!!!! I eventually want to get a CB in again.

It is nice when traveling with someone else and needing to know when and what is going on. I used to have one in all of the time and it was great for the speed bumps back in the old days. Now people dont really say anything.
Originally Posted by bbrideau
nobody uses CB's where i live, everything is VHF
Hahahahaha! I can't believe I didn't see this until now. that is one hilarious little short story there dragon!

thanks Terry, and thank you everybody for all your help and private or otherwise regarding the CB radio.

I wound up going with the handheld unit at low range of road. it comes with the remote box and everything I will need as far as the unit itself. it has an easy disconnect of the handheld units so that I can take it off anytime and bring it inside with me when I'm not on trips. taking the mic off of my father's CB didn't stop them from stealing his CB...

It's just more practical for me then mounting unit along with everything else that I plan to do. all also using a tunable firestik, heavy duty springs and possibly a tailgate mount... but there might be a way to do an effective amount on my roof rack as well... then it would be easily removable, the entire thing, when not on a trip. It does need an external speaker but that shouldn't be a problem at all as it is a basic auxiliary speaker plug. Heck, maybe I could even use one of those little cubes things? lol. I have a good idea which speaker I want, its a no he's canceling Cobra that has a good amount on it which I could mount up under the dash along with the small remote box.

Here is just the unit that I got by itself, not all the other things I mentioned...

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...-75-wx-st.html
Old 07-21-2013, 02:47 PM

Just a lil update on what I've been up to/deciding.......

I've ordered my entire CB setup.....

Cobra 75 WX ST Compact/Remote Mount CB Radio with SoundTracker® and NOAA Weather (C 75 WX ST)

Name:  cobra_radio_finished_copy.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  112.3 KB

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...-75-wx-st.html

Firestick firering mount kit.....

Name:  31SsZxqhvsL_SX_.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  6.1 KB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000X3...AC_SX110_SY190

3' Tunable Red Firestik antenna. ....

Name:  21Hhs0GajJL_SX_.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  2.4 KB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00317...AC_SX110_SY190

(I still have to choose an external speaker for inside my Cab. ... IDEAS? Cobra?.....link....> )

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...?k=cb+speakers

4 x These for all offroad lights, broken into 4 separate individually controllable sections (front, drivers, passenger and rear facing lights)....... They will be mounted to the area above the radio, and I want them all green to match my dash lights (might mount them above the rear window Switches on console frame)......

Name:  41euXdpShGL_SX_.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  10.9 KB
Name:  41NWfFSGrnL_SX_.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  13.0 KB
Name:  41wt5TUajBL_SX_.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  10.2 KB
Name:  41R-Rg4FvUL_SX_.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  11.1 KB
Name:  41YUp8vyuML_SX_.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  10.3 KB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00963...AC_SX110_SY190

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-21-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:04 PM

looks like a good plan mark

heres some ideas for amplified cb speakers compact is of course better easier to find places to mount it

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/...b-speaker.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/49...mplifier8.html

pirate 4x4 link
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...b-speaker.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAM-CB-RADIO-MINI-SWIVEL-EXTENSION-SPEAKER-3-WATT-/220785059335?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Speakers&hash=item3367d0a607

this is the one i had
http://www.sears.com/astatic-classic...29114?prdNo=21

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 07-21-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:54 PM

Thanks, Dragon! U2 Jason, really appreciate your input/professional perspective!

Reading up and watching a couple videos of CB fanatics/and the Pirate thread, they seem to feel that a GOOD noise cancelling amplified speaker/or pair/ is a real improvement over the stock internal speaker in the Mounted CB units, already.

The reason I chose the Cobra handheld unit above is because it saves so much space/easily removeable/seemed to be well liked and shown to live up to its claim of "90% noise reduction"/ and good range..... I guess we'll see? Bahhhahaha.....

Speaker...... Now I am very aware that this is not some huge decision, like everything else I just want to get one speaker one time and that's it for good... It seems logical that they have your one with the bigger man and just good quality in general is the way to go... I thought this was pretty interesting...

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Exter...C%20Review.htm

In this video I watched, he demonstrated a test between the radio shack, cobra-something w/noise cancelling and Bearcat by Uniden... He seems to like the Cobra the most. But from what I can tell, I don't think any of the three would compare with the round one above and that link... just thought I'd share as it was interesting to read. also in that link above that explains how even running mp3 through one of the units on those speakers they were shocked how well they sounded... now granted, I'm not really concerned with playing mp3's through it with a sound system like I have.... But there were a few guys that mentioned some speakers, while on the road or trail, we're a little bit more difficult to hear ppl clearly through than others... I would like to be able to use it on the highway as well and I have noticed one thing for sure and that is not my truck is much lower now inside the cab. obviously with 35 and the need for some Tunnel insulation I'm so forth... it's going to be louder for now. but I'm working on that, and yet still, I think it wouldn't hurt to have a decent external speaker up under the dash or maybe mounted to the roll bar or something like that.

While a CB is not something that is "necessary", I have to say that they were at least two instances on two separate trips that I really really really wish I had had one. Getting separated, planning meets, and most importantly calling out for help... I think they're all decent reasons to have one even if you only use it on rare occasions. most groups that I've ever been with I have found that the majority had units and spoke frequently throughout the trail on the way up.... I think it's a great idea and can save a lot of getting in and out when you don't always have a spotter. I don't think the PA idea is a terrible one either. That is not something that I'm worried about at the moment...

I really can't wait to get it CB, rock lights, roof lights, and few other projects I have/repairs I have to do/ completed!

As far as my ear,.... I have to be honest for the last 12 hours that has been throbbing like crazy, quite the stabbing annoyance! I've actually been typing most of this because just to speak it's been pretty annoying today... I really didn't have much of a choice but to take my mother to a funeral in Encinitas, California,.... Which really did not help at all as it was fairly cool down there and rained after a bit.... And I ended up getting pretty wet. .... Was hurting fairly decently late this morning, but by the time we were heading back on the two hour drive, it was really, really bothering me! when I got home I got warm I'm stuffed some sterile cotton in my ear... And after making sure I got warm quick and stayed warm I'm feeling much better... just a little discouraged but after 4 days of pretty heavy duty antibiotic battery... it's still bothering me pretty decent! Grrrr! I'm going to take a little time off work and just stick to things around here if it's supposed to be warmer again... if I begin to feel a little wiped out I will come in and rest. I feel like an idiot but this is a dear friend of my mothers and she can't take herself... I really didn't feel like I had a choice.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 PM

ok that is just too funny MP3's through a CB ok its neat a new electronics connection but still funny

the speaker looks good but a good noise canceler with some amplification will do ya better than LED's for sound strength the radios do that on their fronts or the display on the hand held if i ever put mine back in likely to change the white bulb in the swing gauge to a colored LED as its can get a bit much when driving

but ive never heard these external speakers first time ive seen anything like them i look forward to seeing what it sounds like mark an looks like as well! :-)

as for ya ear warm compress on it as ya relax might help it open up an drain like i told ya mine warmth helped but it finally took being lanced an hosing the nurse an dr's pants with stinky eew from it to fix it the drum healed up just fine ohhh did it feel SOOOO much better

now if lancing would only fix my Fup'd foot! threatens foot with shotgun....

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 07-21-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
That is a small unit and compact. Something I will need to look at later on when I get the other things finished that I want to. Once out in Yuma a CB helped get me and a friend unstuck out in the middle of nowhere. Always nice to have.

Have you ever tried those ear candles for your ear? Looks like a paper funnel that you light on fire. Sounds scary but they have helped me in the past.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 AM

I have tried everything, buddy.... Castor oil warmed always worked when put in threw with sterile cotton. ... When I would pull out the cotton after a while of letting it soak in lots of infection would come out fixed to the cotton... castor oil seems to have a great ability to extract. Man I gotta tell you, these inner ear versions are incredibly painful and are more of a dry type of infection the just throb on occasion. However, out of 5 faze so far this one is the one with the least amount of pain. only two more days left of antibiotics, so I'm sure hoping it works out.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 AM

Btw; I forgot to add that I completed my CB set up today with this. ......

Uniden Communications Speaker (BC20)

Amazon.com: Uniden Communications Speaker (BC20): Electronics Amazon.com: Uniden Communications Speaker (BC20): Electronics

Name:  bc23a.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:  bc20_top_left.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  40.8 KB

Name:  uniden_bearcat_BC20_20_watt_external_speaker.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  19.3 KB

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-23-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 AM

as with ruby mark your setup will be too cool
yer making me want to figure out how to put mine back in LOL
Old 07-23-2013, 12:35 AM

Thanx buddy! Largely Thanx 2 you and Jason! I appreciate you guys taking so much time to make sense of this for me!

I read up quite a bit but it always helps to hear from people with first-hand experience.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

While a CB is not something that is "necessary", I have to say that they were at least two instances on two separate trips that I really really really wish I had had one. Getting separated, planning meets, and most importantly calling out for help... I think they're all decent reasons to have one even if you only use it on rare occasions. most groups that I've ever been with I have found that the majority had units and spoke frequently throughout the trail on the way up.... I think it's a great idea and can save a lot of getting in and out when you don't always have a spotter. I don't think the PA idea is a terrible one either. That is not something that I'm worried about at the moment...
This past weekend was my first time having a CB on the trail. It was GREAT. So useful, I wish I had gotten one sooner.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've been thinking about an external speaker too. I can't hear the built-in one on the highway with the top off. I'm curious to see where you mount yours.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:09 PM

I have a couple ideas, C...

there are a couple spots by my radio bezel, and actually I have seen them mounted to the roll bar which appears to be very effective... Another spot I thought about was the rear pockets. I will figure it out and most definitely provide plenty of pictures. I am doing the Firestik Fire-ring style stud mount on the rear... Hopefully it will make it a little more low profile but we will see.

As most of my buddies on here know, I have been fighting a pretty persistent ear infection... I seem to be heading over the other side of it and hopefully I will have beaten it within the next couple days. What I might not have explained very clearly is the fact that my feet have been in agony since taking this Cipro. I already have plantar fasciitis and tarsal tendonitis to begin with..... So, apparently as I think I've mentioned: When you take this antibiotic, it can cause pretty serious inflammation of already existing issues with tendonitis or otherwise. While I am sure I already have a problem that will probably persist through the rest of my life... In a sense I'm actually hoping that this medication has been causing the flare up in my feet that has persisted now for almost a week. I'm literally forced to walk like an 80 year old until I've walked around for about an hour... Then I can get through most of the day and by the evening I'm in absolute agony and have to ice my feet. This really sucks!

I mention this because I have so much to do in regards to modification and repairs. I want to get the lights done very badly but I think considering my first trip will be during the day I should probably be okay with the lights that I have... I'm not saying that I won't be able to do it all but it's looking less and less like it. What I really want to focus on first is fixing the area above my shifters. It's not really looking as though I will be able to use the original shifter bezel.... But I'm going to try and use it at least in a modified way. One of the biggest problems is that the wire retainer which hold in the leather boot, its inserts right into the edge of the hollow... When you install a triple stick boot you have to remember that the crawl box shifter which is still in the original location is not directly behind the transmission shifter. The base of the rubber portion is, but the shifter itself comes up dramatically to the right. Well, in order for the other two sticks to not intrude with each other, nor the center stick or crawl box stick, they are moved over to the right. In other words you literally cannot use your original 4 wheel drive W 56 shifter floor mounted bezel.... Mine had to be cut in the center just behind the center metal brace... What I can't tell until I remove it is why there is a bow in the triple shifter metal frame that was provided with the rubber boot. I need to make that as flat as possible and then insulate it with thermo shield and possibly frost King insulation... Then I will figure out a type of homemade floor bezel. From what I can see there are really no clearance issues on the front where it is bowing. So I should be able to cut something out for the rear end o Junf it by mounting it over and through the center portion of the original one... But first I will have to bend back this triple shifter boot frame. There were definitely some clearance issues regarding the tunnel and it had to be very mildly cut and pounded out..... This could be a bit of work but I should be able to knock it out of the day using stainless steel plate or preferrably something more moldable stuff (16th" steel? Powdercated by my local guy, once I get it just right? )
...????????? HAHAHA. ..

Then I believe I will focus on the rock lights. The reason I think I will do the rock lights before the roof rack is because they can serve the purpose of navigating for stuff at night pretty much on their own along with the front light. I already have some LEDs ordered from my reverse lights and they should suffice for backup light for now. Also, I might add some wire and run one of them up into the engine bay... Maybe two of them. This also brings up the fact that I will likely not run a GM utility light like I planned to do... Like Richard did. The reason is because most of the use for that for me would be to work on the engine and I have plenty of light for that... But the other use for it is to pull the cord out and be able to work on tires and stuff like that... Well, if I have 18 rock lights I really doubt I'm going to need a retractable cord light in order to work on my tire or something of the sort. What do you guys think? I will most likely leave all the lights for the rock like it dedicated to that alone, just rock lights. I will more likely ad engine bay lights that are fixed. Sound practical? I really love the light that Richard is using, that's why I grab one in the first place... The problem is that in his car he has a large space on the firewall to mount it and I don't. Its a large item and I feel just simply too large to be practical for me at this moment. However, I do have a Supra engine daylight that would definitely be a lot more easier mount and that also comes with ace hood upper down on off switch. I really need to look into how that works but I believe it is off because the hood is closed which depresses the buttons which makes the ground incomplete... When open the button comes up and the ground is completed . Can anyone tell me if that's right? I'm going to try and remember to look for a thread on that. It is still a retractable light and while it is not 20 feet long it is certainly at least 15 feet long... It just doesn't have a winding mechanism.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-23-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 PM

Sidetracked today due to triple stick problems..... I'm not doubting and believe Rory at RADesigns when he says they don't bend/break ..... and there were some mistakes on install... But long and short the rod on pass side for 2wd is broken.... I'm also very pleased with Yotamasters work overall....

Eric pounded for clearance amd then felt he had to bend the rods to make it work. ... It was also set up on the opposite side to clear the tunnel. I'm not wanting to give the impression that they're anything but GREAT at what they do. I KNOW Eric will say "SURE, bring it back, I'll make it right".... but I'm gonna give this a shot as I want to keep as much of my console and such as possible.....and its a hot long drive to have to make twice again! Hahaha.

I have to either drop the cars more.... or start pounding. ..... AND I DO NOT want to lose more clearance.

Rory is sending me two new rods, and I'll do whatever it takes to keep them straight this time.

I will be building up a risen shelf that will allow me to seal up everything again and use some of my bezel even (including the forward pocket which will be my CB speaker mount location, ....possibly)

Rory did tell me that he was surprised how certain rigs set up with dual cases can fit his kits without hardly any modification....but that others, including using different tcase crossmembers, require quite a bit of modding. I have a plan..... and I'll share it with video hopefully soon after getting the parts!

Told ya if "IT" is going to happen. ... it will happen to me! Haha

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-23-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 PM

aw dude well least theyre getting things to ya to fix it

the floor steel is tough just careful of your rear heater connections an core
Old 07-23-2013, 10:34 PM

No rear heater, THANK GOODNESS! Never have need for it anyhow...... So the pounding of the tunnel and some fine tuning will commence! Lol..... it wont take much.......

I basically plan to punch it with a long 3/8" extension...... BFH and a narrow but metalurgically HARD and NOT TOO POINTY tool.....that sound like a plan?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-23-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:26 PM

Proof of premature. Carnage! Lol....

Name:  20130723_182652.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  2.41 MB

More shots of how our works....

Name:  20130723_185607.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  2.04 MB

If you notice in the first picture , the passenger side shifter linkage has the hiem on the inside which automatically increases its difficulty of angle... I'm guessing Eric didn't want to cut anymore and I could see how it wouldn't fit as it stood if it was turned around how it was supposed to be as Rory intended it. As you can also see, it is right up against the tunnel and it's literally needing to be punched up along those lines to clear more (so I can keep the tunnels from being cut further back).........Kayyyyh? Suuuuperrrrr! Allllrighty then! Lol

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread