86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
het mark, I have to say Im torn buddy. the truck looks great, but I loved it the way it was. but its your truck and if its how you want it then Im stoked for ya. I myself like both sets of wheels, they both have there own appeal, I think it will look great which ever you decide to run. the L.E.D. bar is sweet. I plan to switch to one when I get the bumper done on my 97.
Ok enough from me get that thing out on the trail so we can all see it in action
Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
For the fast blinking signal an LED compatible flasher module saves a little soldering
Old 07-15-2013, 07:47 AM

Does it still fit in the garage?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:48 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Mark,
we are two pages deep into the Ruby ReBirth, and you still have an old avatar up....slacker...haha!

She looks great. Did you do a measurement at stock fender clearance before surgery, and one after?

One day I'll have a rig with 4 wheels on the ground
Old 07-15-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i still like the outlaws light bar looks awesome
Old 07-15-2013, 11:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ruby looks like she means business now....

Nice and mean!

great work
Old 07-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

I still think that axle looks really... exposed... down there. So used to seeing the IFS protected behind the factory skid plate...

IDK what the law in Cali says but up here old school arm signals out the window are still perfectly legal for signaling your turns.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey guys, will be answering a lil later.... Jonnyboy is stopping by, maybe Redeth too, just gotta do some clean up from doing lunch and then finish sone errands....then I wanna respond to everyone.

Thanks for the kind words.... bbl8r
Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, Mark. Thought I'd stop by to catch up on some things. I was shocked to see your 'Runner so built up. Makes me miss mine, even more. Great job, as usual. Look forward to some action shots!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by 85sr5excab
Wow this thing is awesome! And this thread is full of info. You've done a great job. I've got a suggestion for your tire and wheel dilemma....why not put the white letters out on the black wheels? Then the tires won't disappear as much.
Hmmmm, I've not run White letters in a long time.... Haven't seen many others either... Thanks for the idea. I think I like them black letters out... Not sure exactly what I'll do for now I'm just leaving it alone. I hope you can find some information that helps you within my build... Glad you enjoyed some of it! hopefully it can be useful to you just like so many have been useful to me... which is why I've been trying to share it here, just to try and pay it forward to some degree or another.

Originally Posted by dsal_86Yota
Ruby is looking sexy. Love the black rims on a red rig. looking great
I'm really shocked hour much they're growing on me! Thanx lots, dsal!

Originally Posted by bbrideau
Holy chit! diggin the light bar, bright even in the day time, would hate to accidentally blind someone on the way home at night haha. They did a really good job on your rig, can't wait to see action shots!
I can't wait, either! Coming soon as possible!

Originally Posted by junk4u
The truck is looking sweeter than sweet... Hahaha...

I love them lights they are awesome
Appreciate it bud! Thanx, and I like em too! Lol

Originally Posted by jason in tn
het mark, I have to say Im torn buddy. the truck looks great, but I loved it the way it was. but its your truck and if its how you want it then Im stoked for ya. I myself like both sets of wheels, they both have there own appeal, I think it will look great which ever you decide to run. the L.E.D. bar is sweet. I plan to switch to one when I get the bumper done on my 97.
Ok enough from me get that thing out on the trail so we can all see it in action
I totally understand where you're coming from... I loved it too the way it was but I'm definitely happy with how clean it came out. on definitely hungry to get out there more often already. I just wish I had more free time, but I am planning to take some in the near future.

I really love the LED light bar, I think for sure you will be pleased.

Originally Posted by dropzone
For the fast blinking signal an LED compatible flasher module saves a little soldering
Yeah, I will just look into that a little more... when I picked it up, Eric handed me some resistors from superbrightLEDs.com .... So I installed them. I did a pretty clean job... and they can easily be pulled out and replaced with another method. I did look a little bit into it but I didn't find the thread I had seen before and I was looking to get this done with the hour of free time that I had. Is that what you did with all your tricked out custom lighting on your Trekker?

Originally Posted by jalopytech
Does it still fit in the garage?
Yes sir, it does fit in the garage... I thought... didn't I post a picture of it in the garage? Maybe I just mentioned it in the video too? .... I will check and make sure. It fits in the garage but I have to remember to put the antenna down for a roll in.... eeeeek! Lol.

Originally Posted by RBX
Mark,
we are two pages deep into the Ruby ReBirth, and you still have an old avatar up....slacker...haha!

She looks great. Did you do a measurement at stock fender clearance before surgery, and one after?

One day I'll have a rig with 4 wheels on the ground
Hahaha. ... I know, I know! I promise I will change my ID picture eventually. I always seem to have a problem getting it small enough for yotatech to accept it. I think I just did it last time in Photoshop or paint?

Your truck is already sick, RB! I can't even imagine once you have the link setup done.....WOW!

I did have measurements from after I did my suspension and then adjusted the torsion bars so forth. I did that a few times with the rear as well. it's a little different now! hahaha. I will try to do some comparisons.

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
i still like the outlaws light bar looks awesome
Haha. .... I know you do. ... and Thanx again for doing that for me, buddy!

I forgot to get the video again of more of the light bar in the dark ... Richard and Johnny got to see ... it does pretty well. Once all the lighting is done it should really be effective for night really or just in general as a useful tool when out there.

Originally Posted by Outsane
Ruby looks like she means business now....

Nice and mean!

great work
Thanx buddy! Gotta love Yotamasters. ... They did great work on what they did!

Originally Posted by aviator
I still think that axle looks really... exposed... down there. So used to seeing the IFS protected behind the factory skid plate...

IDK what the law in Cali says but up here old school arm signals out the window are still perfectly legal for signaling your turns.
Yeah, she LOOKS naked. ... but she's got a proverbial chastity belt of armor on her pumpkin, knuckle gussets and Dirty 30's under her skirt! hehe. .... This axle should hold up fine.

Arm out the Window is fine, during the day and in addition to turn signal. ... But they really press ya to always signal before Lane change and turning. .... If the cop is in your blind spot (rear/pass side),.....I doubt he would just take my word that I was holding out my arm to get over in front of him or to the left... We would just give me a ticket plain and simple. not all of them are like that I know, but the CHP especially are pretty ticket happy with changing lanes without signaling & so forth.

Originally Posted by malteserunner
Wow, Mark. Thought I'd stop by to catch up on some things. I was shocked to see your 'Runner so built up. Makes me miss mine, even more. Great job, as usual. Look forward to some action shots!
I miss the ole maltese too! Loved that thing!

Redeth and Jonnyboy came by.... had a great time chatting "Yota!" and a great dinner at Lucilles BBQ! .... Was good seeing you guys again!, thanx for stopping by homies!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-16-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I would get pulled over too for the slightest thing. Even something like a fast blinking blinker would probably get me. I am not a fan of the blackout on trim and wheels. I still like the Outlaws but I think the black rims do look good on there as well. Later on if you add more accessories or other things and if they are black the Outlaws might start to look out of place in my opinion.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:35 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Nightshot!

Gonna need mudflaps too
Old 07-16-2013, 07:29 AM

The runner looks amazing man!! it makes me wanna start my sas ill hopefully have all the parts i need soon to start it
Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 AM

Terry, it's just crazy in L.A. .....they'll ticket you for most everything that you haven't even heard of. Gotta pay for this Peoples Republic of L.A. way of life they've created somehow! Lol. ....

Rob, .....I know.... .... really not looking forward to having to do that. .... Wish I could just run my originals but they end up rubbing, grrrr! Gotta look up some threads on some clean options. Hmmmmm.

Hey J,.... cant wait man! U have a thread I'm subscribed to, right? I thought I did but haven't seen much from ya lately... So not sure. DO IT! Lol
Old 07-16-2013, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Terry, it's just crazy in L.A. .....they'll ticket you for most everything that you haven't even heard of. Gotta pay for this Peoples Republic of L.A. way of life they've created somehow! Lol. ....

Rob, .....I know.... .... really not looking forward to having to do that. .... Wish I could just run my originals but they end up rubbing, grrrr! Gotta look up some threads on some clean options. Hmmmmm.

Hey J,.... cant wait man! U have a thread I'm subscribed to, right? I thought I did but haven't seen much from ya lately... So not sure. DO IT! Lol
Move to BC, anywhere outside of the lower mainland anything goes for the most part. and even if you do get pulled over just do the canadian thing "sorry, eh" and go on your merry way
Old 07-16-2013, 11:30 AM

Haha, thanks Brandon... from everything I've heard Canada is beginning to go away from the People's Republic style slowly, and more towards the Liberty and free market style... maybe that's why you guys are prospering and we are in huge debt? hahaha. Hell I even read a pretty extensive article that showed many of the most powerful people in China are pushing in a manner that's almost unstoppable for a more free market type of system... Even right down to our air conditioners and toilets and everything else in California, we have things thought up by people like Hillary where they want all new air conditioners put into homes that are being built for that are already built to have remote control thermostats that can be controlled by an agency of the government during peak hours of power use. they even just put forward a program for people to have the refrigerators on a similar style system! I'm starting to feel like I have a proverbial gorilla on my shoulder not a little monkey any longer! lol... I'll leave it at that, regardless of the fact that I could share about 5 pages of crap that they are implementing or have implemented... and not even touch the surface. I'll just say one more thing... when your post office is around 80 billion in the red every year for several years... maybe they aren't the best managers of our money and resources ?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:38 AM

Speaking of the post office I thought I would share a picture that I grabbed while in the parking lot...

Name:  20130715_140851.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  2.18 MB

Name:  20130715_140843.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  2.74 MB

And then I wanted to share that well Jonny was here having a chat with Richard, I swapped out his ring and dial for some spare powder coated ones I had but the just work perfect enough to send to StewsRunner.... I will get a better picture later. ...

Name:  20130715_215138.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  2.04 MB

Name:  20130715_215147.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  2.17 MB
Old 07-16-2013, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

Ive been on here lately I dont think u are subed to my build thread tho thats prob why ive been busy tinkering on my truck and my baja bug lately so i havent been super active tho... cant get over how good your runner looks man i like the rear bumper a lot it looks clean on there
Old 07-16-2013, 11:52 AM

Here you go....

Name:  20130716_124743.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  2.45 MB

Name:  20130716_124730.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  2.49 MB
Old 07-16-2013, 12:00 PM

Thanks J! I appreciate that... I'm surprised how few people have this bumper but I guess many just don't want something hanging any lower at all. however if you run one that is rated for towing , it is likely that it will come down a bit from where the trail gear and Marlin crawler bumpers do.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread