86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
ya'll makin me hungry darn it
Sorry buddy! Haha.....Maybe something like SALMON MOUSSE could cure that for ya? Lol

Originally Posted by jalopytech
Fix it and run with it, it's the best 4 banger out there. Once your done, you'll look back on the project with pride and say it was no big deal!
Hmmmm, something tells me you're responding to post #1, ....370pgs/1.5 rebuilds before the one in there now. Haha.... NO intension of razzing ya, ....just made me chuckle a bit. And I AGREE! It's a great lil 4 banger. Just wish they'd tossed a lil more pop in em..... Like the hardbody motors in Nissans back in those days.... Used to drive an 89 at a job I had. ..... thing FLEW! Lol. Not saying it's a better motor, I just really enjoyed the additional power.

Thanx for stopping in, Jalopytech! (love the ID name! )
Old 07-13-2013, 11:26 AM

WOW!!!!!!!! ..... I'm just a bit blown away with the change. .... Lil bit shocked to be honest. In a good way! Haha......

First, I just want to publicly sync my daughter for taking me out to pick it up in what world up being some of the worst traffic ever! The funny thing is, I also had no idea Caltrans was having another Carmageddon nightmare going on through the entire weekend... I got to Eric shop around 6:15pm... My daughter and I left at 3:30pm... TO GO 50 MILES!!!!!!!! ...... I ended up speaking and having a really great everyday working dude to working dude conversation with Eric... until 10 pm! hahahaha. actually we went over several things pertaining to the vehicle but we did actually talk for at least two and a half hours. It's refreshing to deal with someone that doesn't think of themselves as though I'm lucky to be able to have my vehicle in his hands. instead, he's grateful for the work and that I put it there in his hands......

Well, when you coming back is win I found out the Caltrans had shut down four of the five lanes and the carpool lane into 1 FREAKING LANE! ...... 1 hour to go 0.75 miles! This was the first mile! Haha. ... Actually, the rest of the way was smooth sailing. but it still left me with an hour or so drive back even from that point. Just freaking crazy! hahaha.

Right about the time I was going to leave his shop, my phone died... so you guessed it, I didn't get any pictures except for a couple before it got dark at his shop ... they're not the greatest pictures and I really didn't have a lot of room to get different angles and stuff because he had me kind of boxed in by all of his other work that was going on.... I'm really stoked how it came out, add it will obviously take me a little time to get used to how the straight axle rigs , especially at the size, tend to drive themselves at higher speeds when you hit dips and stuff.... It's a bit more work and you can't just take your eyes of the road for a few seconds in cruise control, haha... I think since the whole steering system is new except for the pump I will also double check with a good follow-up bleed... see what's going on. but I have no pictures of the console or anything else like that. so I will just put up a couple teasers and share a lot more a little later......

Name:  20130712_194116.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  2.14 MB

Name:  20130712_194106.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  2.21 MB

Name:  20130712_194138.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  2.04 MB

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the black wheels or go back to the outlaw 2's... I have a lot of decisions to make a lot of work to do on several things including all of the lights and the shifter bezel and a few other things... the tires and Wheels thing is something that I can do very quickly my neighbors shop. I wanted to know if you could do a magical Photoshop thingy for me again, dragon? I'm going to get as perfectly perpendicular pictures as I can get to match the distance of some other pictures I have with the outlaw 2's on... I think I do have some pictures that will match the ones I just posted that have the outlaw 2's in them... if you could maybe swap them over to show me the difference? If it's a lot of work, please never mind that I even asked. I just figured, that since you're chomping at the bit to get something done and you can't really do anything on your own rig, like you'd like, at the moment... , maybe you could do some of your magic to keep yourself from going crazy ? hahahahaha. I don't know, I don't want to sound like I'm doing you a favor or anything! lol.....???
Old 07-13-2013, 11:29 AM

PS: I have like 400 pounds of crap in the back of my truck in that picture... it will come up a little bit but the front springs are always going to take a bit longer to settle because they are shorter and much firmer because of it. I guess that's a good thing considering they have to hold up the motor all the time.

As I said, I will share every thing that has gone into and onto it, just give me a little time?
Old 07-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Came out looking great Mark. I really like it. Cant wait to see it next to mine. Lol

Hurry up and break in those gears I wanna go off roading already hahaha
Old 07-13-2013, 11:55 AM

Hey Richard, thanks buddy! You know it, I'm less than 200 miles from gear oil change! I need to try and break in the fronts a lil, so I might just head up and hit the fire roads where we went that one time. Also have to break in the 4.7's.... so I should probably get on it asap!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must say... I'm pretty jealous! It looks great! 'Ol Ruby has come a long way!

I still say go for the outlaw II's
Old 07-13-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yep get a picture of the truck from the side and then one of the rims around the same distance i can make it work

ill tell ya though i like the outlaws better it gives her a better look an everyone seems to use black rims on their lifted rigs whats up with that some unwritten rule??? "if you lift your rig X you must use a black rim to be designated offroad.." lol
Old 07-13-2013, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
everyone seems to use black rims on their lifted rigs whats up with that some unwritten rule??? "if you lift your rig X you must use a black rim to be designated offroad.." lol
I think it's because black steelies are cheap and you can bend 'em back into shape/weld them if they crack unlike aluminium wheels...
Old 07-13-2013, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by NickMiller
I think it's because black steelies are cheap and you can bend 'em back into shape/weld them if they crack unlike aluminium wheels...
its not even the steelies they paint aluminum's black or even buy them that way lol
Old 07-13-2013, 12:52 PM

These are powdercoated black American Racing Baja Aluminum wheels.... athey are not steelies.....I know its tit for tat when talking the weight difference for some.....but with dual cases, TG lopro tcase crossmember, bumpers and more....every little bit matters..... and these wheels are simply what came with the tires. I probably never would have chosen black, even though I do like how it looks to some degree.

Thanks guys, and I appreciate the willingness to do that for me, dragon! I will do my best to get some comparative pictures
Old 07-13-2013, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

I just loaded up the thread to catch up, was scrolling up from the last post, and let out an audible gasp/laugh when I got to this photo. Wow! Beautiful!

Old 07-13-2013, 02:04 PM

she does look awesome mark really does
Old 07-13-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a long strange trip Chef, congratulations! She looks great! Can't wait to see more pics of the work.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Christmas finally got here. I looks great. Knowing the difference of IFS and SAS on the front of the frame, it looks like a clean install and well done. Now I know what a non leaky solid axle hub looks like. Is that normal??? Just kidding, most always are leaking. I know you were going to go with TG kit which in very few instances is better then Toyota. Looks Geat.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:21 PM

GOD DAMN!!!! she looks great mark! Wish i lived closer to come poke my nose around your rig!
Old 07-13-2013, 05:27 PM

I think it looked better before the solid axle swap...

...said no one ever Congrats Chef!
Old 07-13-2013, 05:29 PM

Oh, and +1 for the Outlaw IIs!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

Nah ya posser go with some 32" dubs with spinners... that way you can go cruisin' down in compton... ...when you ain't got time to get out in the desert that is.. LOL

Thanks for the recipe and onion tip Mark that excess water thing was kinda what I was concerned about but I wanted to retain a little onion bite and crunch that you don't get from caramelized onion.. I'll try the flour dredge idea when I go for it...

Ruby looks nice... but with her higher stance I think bigger rims and less tire sidewall would look better... the black rims disappear against the tires and make her look too stark... she needs a little bling/jewelery to make her really pop.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:40 PM

Sorry guys, what an absolutely crazy, non-stop, crap fest of doing paperwork and running around from the bank, then to a notary, then back to the bank.....They have screwed with my mom's mind and worried her sooooo much cuz of THEIR TOTALLY UNORGANIZED AND HALF ARSED HANDLING OF A TRUST ACCOUNT! I'm so ticked....but I'm finally calming down..... fhewwwwwww! Lol.

I will do the next post in a few minutes with pics and a couple terrible videos! Haha (sorry, I was so mad I couldn't get my thoughts straight.... So I'll do another couple videos tomorrow, k? Forgive the babbling and long pauses? hahaha)
Old 07-13-2013, 10:41 PM

PS: Thanx for the kind words and the rim prerogatives! Hehehee

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread