86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't believe Abby is already a year old... where does the time go?

I've said it before but I officially hate all you Cali-types with your nice rust free desert stored classics... as for 70's/80'S GMs everyone knows the only one to have is a Bandit Black Trans Am so there.

Ruby's looking good Mark can't wait to see the finished product...

My chili [about 6-7 pages back] was a huge success I was lucky my dad said he "saved me" some... one small bowl was all they left me for my supper after I got home from work. Oh well... I'm glad they all liked it...
Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bbrideau
holy lights batman!

Im going to be able to see your truck from my house in the mountains! Can't wait to see them on your rig with some night shots.
Can't wait either! If I head up your mountain I be sure to try and flip some switches and strobe out on you! Lol hahahaha... Wait, you don't have that form of epilepsy right?

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Lovely, Mark. Looking forward to seeing you again today.
Thanx! And it'll be good to see you too man!... Which will be in a couple hours!

Originally Posted by aviator

I've said it before but I officially hate all you Cali-types with your nice rust free desert stored classics... as for 70's/80'S GMs everyone knows the only one to have is a Bandit Black Trans Am so there.

My chili [about 6-7 pages back] was a huge success I was lucky my dad said he "saved me" some... one small bowl was all they left me for my supper after I got home from work. Oh well... I'm glad they all liked it...
It's crazy isn't it? She is really growing fast!

I hear you on the Trans Am and didn't you see the picture I posted of the Smokey and the Bandit restore it was next to me on Pacific Coast Highway? Hahahahaha

Glad your chili was a success! I used to do competitions a lot but it's just so much variance and nastiness going on! I can't stand that crap... but I do still love chili! Lol

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-11-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:49 AM

Oh wow, one of my few cars I never cut on was the 71' HO 455 TA. White with blue stripe and if I remember correctly that awful blue interior. Absolutely loved that car. Took me about 10 years of watching spiders make it a home to talk the people into selling it to me.

It was the down payment on a house when I sold it. Of course now I watch the auctions and would much rather have kept the car since she got the house. But ya know how that goes.

Chef,

I keep seeing the emails for your thread and thinking, "oh wow, he's got her back!" and coming to the thread and hearing the waaa waaa waaa sound in my head.

Looking like tomorrow then I guess or is there still hope for today?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

No I think I missed that bandit resto pic Mark...
Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 PM

No I think I missed that bandit resto pic Mark...
Hey buddy....it's probably......No, MAYBE in my Photobucket main album. lol.. ..798 pics.....I also have maybe 30 sub albums with 2500 or so pics more.... I will find it in my thread faster. I usually put all my car pics in my Cars album.... But I think this just stayed in the large one. Darnit!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 PM

Well,.....I can't say I'm too surprised..... But, I'm REALLY nervous..... cuz I'm likely picking up ole transformed Ruby, tomorrow. ... I guess all this waiting and not having been able to do it here caused more anxiety than usual for me. But,....it is what it is, and it is VERY much exciting, more than some other, more negative emotion!

Today I took my sis to an appt in Irvine, CA, and where was RAD4Runner working/meeting me? THE NEXT BUILDING! Irvine is over an hour from where I am... I know I mentioned this, I'm sure, but it just trips me out what a small world it is... Just a few minutes away, after meeting with RAD, I met with Nate of Blazeland.... VERY cool meeting you, Nate! I can tell you from personally seeing his long travel Xtra cab 86 pick up in person... The one powered by a 5.0 Mustang motor... That thing is badarse! I really appreciated you taking the time to share some of your knowledge and personal experiences with me, Nate! Look forward to someday meeting up again, hopefully for an off road trip.

Very cool seeing you again, as well, RAD!

Hope to have some good news tomorrow in that I am driving it home... But if it's Saturday, that's fine, I'm not going to stress out over it at all. I'm really glad it's in their hands and that I was able to get in there. I pretty much knew they wouldn't be able to get back at finishing it until after the 4th of July holiday... And like I said many times I added so many "while you're in there" type things, that well,.... its 100 percent still there because of me! Hahahahaha

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-11-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 PM

Pulling for ya Chef! Can't wait to see the pix and read the stories. I should be picking up mine with a new belt, ignition, pump and seals all the way around so I can get to work on my front end with some of Nate parts!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
startin to miss ruby pictures and i want to see detail shots real vouge an vanity fair stuff
Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by diableri
Pulling for ya Chef! Can't wait to see the pix and read the stories. I should be picking up mine with a new belt, ignition, pump and seals all the way around so I can get to work on my front end with some of Nate parts!
Wooot! Yeah? That will be sick, D! He really does put some nice stuff together! That rig of his is just sick! I hope to meet up with him, again, someday, and possibly take a ride in his truck. I bet its a torquey little bugger! Haha. ..

Thanks for rooting for me buddy!

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
startin to miss ruby pictures and i want to see detail shots real vouge an vanity fair stuff
I hearby promise Dragon some healing properties-pix, ASAP! Lol. .... I will bring my Canon-D in case Eric wants some large MB-quality pix for his biz.

II honestly feel just like I did when I was eight or nine on Christmas Eve! Hahahaha... You probably think I'm joking but I'm not....

Wasn't planned this way but it worked out in the end... I'm very grateful ..... And, now I can focus on other projects, like Aux power, the lights and quite a few other things that I have up my sleeve! Some of you know what I'm talking about... Shhhhhhhhhh! Lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-11-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Sounds like you are right in the center of Yotatech with all the people you get to meet in your area. Looking forward to you getting your ride home. Seems like it has been a long time in the making. Wishing you the best of luck.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 AM

Is today the day?! do we finally get to see her after her surgery?!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:38 AM

Still not sure..... They have to thoroughly test drive/push the suspension/triple sticks & dual cases.... I HOPE today is the day, but tomorrow or late today will be fine!.....Really, being in a hurry isn't advantageous for me and wont make a difference cuz they wont ablige if I did ask for it b4 its good and ripe! Haha

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-12-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Like a kid waiting on Christmas. Probably seems like it is never going to get here. You are on the down hill side. Just a little longer.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 PM

i can see mark settin up his xmas tree with a box around his phone and a timer ticking
Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Like a kid waiting on Christmas. Probably seems like it is never going to get here. You are on the down hill side. Just a little longer.
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
i can see mark settin up his xmas tree with a box around his phone and a timer ticking
Ok......I won't manipulate my true emotional state..... I'm a LIL restless...... But s'all good! Lol. .. I'm either going today the end of the day with my daughter or tomorrow with Richard. I have no say as to which. So I'm doing my best to not be an eye twitching, leg tapping, clock watching jitterbug! Lol. It's 2pm PST, & I've not heard a thing. ... I guess it's pointless and only stressful to me to speculate? Haha
Old 07-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

What you need is a distraction Mark... I got a culinary inspiration to look up souffle recipes... I had a sudden taste for onion gruyere [sp] souffle for some reason... no I am not pregers lol... went looking for some recips and could'nt find any that were going my way... a few called for the onions to be used as a flavouring and discarded but my idea is this... finely chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion lightly sauted and added to the milk/cream yolk mixture and left in when the cheese/ whites etc, are added and so on... that would lead to a nice savoury souffle to server as a side with a nice filet or some thing of that nature... what do you think? would the acid from the onion mess up the rise?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Ha! Chef! I TOTALLY got a visual tapping the foot, leg shaking, finger rolling across a knee, check the watch on the left wrist, neck rubbing and pupils extremely dialated needing a glass a water cause you can't stand it any longer! HA! Reminds me too of Christmas. Hang in there man..if the shop is anything like ours, they'll let you know when they can put there name on it. Probably better, not to interrupt progress on your behalf. Hang in there....
Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM

GRUYERE & PARM SOUFLEE.....

Ingredients;

Grated Parmesan cheese1/4 cup

(1/2 stick) butter

5 tablespoons all purpose flour

Pinch of cayenne pepper

Pinch of ground nutmeg

1 1/4 cups whole milk

1/4 cup dry white wine

6 large egg yolks

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 1/4 cups plus

2 tablespoons (packed) coarsely grated Gruyère cheese (about 6 ounces)

1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

8 large egg whites

Preparation:

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F. Generously butter one 10-cup soufflé dish or six 1 1/4-cup soufflé dishes; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to coat. (If using 1 1/4-cup dishes, place all 6 on rimmed baking sheet.) Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, cayenne pepper and nutmeg. Cook without browning until mixture begins to bubble, whisking constantly, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, then wine. Cook until smooth, thick and beginning to boil, whisking constantly, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix yolks, salt and pepper in small bowl. Add yolk mixture all at once to sauce and whisk quickly to blend. Fold in 1 1/4 cups Gruyère cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (cheeses do not need to melt). Using electric mixer, beat whites in large bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold 1/4 of whites into lukewarm soufflé base to lighten. Fold in remaining whites. Transfer soufflé mixture to prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Gruyère cheese.Place soufflé in oven; reduce heat to 375°F. Bake soufflé until puffed, golden and gently set in center, about 40 minutes for large soufflé (or 25 minutes for small soufflés). Using oven mitts, transfer soufflé to platter and serve immediately.

THAT'S A DECENT ONE^^^^^.....

One of the things I do when I'm adding certain things are high and moisture is make sure that I reduce them as much as possible and with onions I would likely carmelize them..... And one of the ways you completely prevent the Guardians from breaking any further( meaning to release any more moisture) is that I would toss them in flour, just reduced the amount of flour in the recipe buy whatever amount it takes to coat the onions very lightly. Yes city shouldn't be an issue and many ingredients in many places are highly difficult to work with... I guess because I've done so many souffle I don't find onions to be one of them as much as others... even cheese can break very easily if instructions are not followed into the T.

I actually used to do a Vidalia onion souffle out in Scottsdale that many people tried to copy.... The only people that really have problems with them is when they tried to do a souffle with under cooked onions. onions release water rapidly when they make contact with salt, just like salt renders water from pretty much anything. when you deal with under cooked onions they will continue to cook and release moisture in a heavily salty cheese like Parmesan or Gruyere( the latter having less, obviously).... the moisture that is therein trapped will create a steaming affect and expand in those isolated spots.... you don't want this way, as you definitely want it to expand in a broad manner/ level through the 1000's of air bubbles you've created by whipping the whites and rest..... Then carefully folding things together when that time comes to avoid breaking that airbubble filled structure. Butter basically does the same thing which is why it is so important with puff pastry two very equally incorporate the butter into the flour through the hundreds of layers you've created by folding multiple times. butter creates steam as well and causes a rising affect that pushes the layers apart.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:58 PM

ya'll makin me hungry darn it
Old 07-12-2013, 05:52 PM

Fix it and run with it, it's the best 4 banger out there. Once your done, you'll look back on the project with pride and say it was no big deal!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread