86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No sorry, push was the wrong word. Did you have the axle moved forward on the frame at all? Stretched wheelbase I mean.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Wagon
No sorry, push was the wrong word. Did you have the axle moved forward on the frame at all? Stretched wheelbase I mean.
Yes.......Hehe. It really needs to as the up travel is angled 10* or so, back/up as it compresses. Some go much further than others and cut fenders and such. IT'S NOT THAT much stretched, far as I know.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 AM

Cool beans.

Also, your PM inbox is full.

Shaggy and RMA, those are their forum names?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:57 AM

Cleared a few messages, sorry! Lol

Yeah, Shaggy and RMA are both in my subscriptions too, for their build threads.... You could go that route as well and just look at the threads I'm subscribed to? I don't have time at the moment to look right now , sorry bud.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:56 AM

No worries I don't have broken fingers.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:27 AM

You don't? But thats half the fun!!! Haha..... Welp....Shot Shaggy's over to ya though..... Curious if u got it?

MAN am I excited! Haha..... If I weren't so incredibly busy,.... I would definitely be going bonkers! Lol....nahhh, I good. Its probably a good thing to be separated for a minute from something you been tinkering with for the last 4 years!

I actually have several links and notes on my WordPad on my PC... Regarding the 1UZ swap. I'm just having a couple problems with it and when it hangs up on me, especially when I'm in a hurry, I'm afraid I might smash the thing into a million pieces. I'm going to fish around for some answers but I'm fairly certain one of my biggest problems there is that I'm running out of RAM and HD room. I know they have 10 terabyte computers already that are not extremely expensive to make... Why the hell do they put it off so long? Especially regarding expanding RAM? Its just stupid. And they act as though they don't have the technology already... I guess that's why Steve Jobs was so smart 2 release things at a slow pace... Who knows, maybe we will be in an era of Blade Runner type technology before we know it? Heehee. Either way I need to get a computer that is wifi, but I'm not sure I shouldn't just ditch the PCs all together and keep my Toshiba laptop as my primary computer. I like being able to leave it in the garage and having my PC inside. The PC for the most part works great once its warmed up and jumped out of sleep mode. I went in and set it to never hibernate or any of that stuff but it doesn't seem to help... I move the mouse the screen comes on and then 5 minutes later, sometimes more, its come out of a pace that is literally 10 times slower that should be... Especially considering I have the fastest fiber optic network you can get... It always test right at the top end of what it says it should be.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as ive built most all of my own computers an repair them regularly for family an friends mark perhaps its time for a phone call walk through how to speed it back up

people install so much stuff an dont realize it (toolbars are bad), the browser cache is always set wrong programs hogging memory time because they SIT on some of it so they can be instant ON when windows needs the memory as well to come back from sleep mode
Old 06-30-2013, 01:20 PM

I wanted to share that Sunyee send me an email stating that it had shipped my light around 10 hours after I posted the payment. I know that this is coming from China Post, and then on from wherever it hits the US... All originating in Australia, but for some reason, I'm guessing because China is a little closer to us than Australia? Lol... For that reason they ship US and South American orders from China. Anyway, my point in bringing this up is that I'm guessing China Post can likely take a long time to get things out of China... Another point in bringing this up is that I got an email stating that it was shipped and every time I checked the tracking number for the last 2 days... No update. They have a hundred percent approval rating: on eBay and otherwise... I've heard nothing but good things about them or their product. My only problem really is that I would rather wire the lights through to the existing mounts that I used in order to hook up my dick cepek 8"ers. And wants my bumper is on... Yeah you know? The thing about these light bars is they have an internal ballast and a single wire... The good thing about this is that it leaves my second wire for something else.........

.....This had me thinking and I thought it might be a good idea to at least run two more lights pointing diagonally of the angled portions of the bumper, most likely not a flood and spot combination... On those I thought I would only run spot, since pointing at an angle it takes a lot for the distance to break even with the line that you're on . I will have lights on the roof rack pointing in every direction of North, south, East and West... But nothing really in the way of "off into the void of darkness on the corners, which swallows up all light "( my 10, 2, 4 and 8 o'clock positions) , you no? these have a pretty wide angle on the flood end of things but I could put spot beams pointing into those corners that I just mentioned. This might help to pick other lines or trails when out at night.

Just to clarify why I would want adequate lighting at night: Most people only think about these as a way to wheel at night like you saw in my videos at Tierra del Sol... But in reality on trips where there are far fewer people, or even when there are multiple rigs, things happen that don't always allow you to get back before dark to your base camp. People break down, break axles, and more often than people think,... That flooding of light can be a lifesaver or at least save hours that would be wasted trying to do it without said light......... Heck, sometimes it just comes down to the fact it not everyone can meet at the trailhead before evening because most of us work.

With LED's you're pulling far less power/to lumen output ratio and they seem 2 swallow up the shadows much better.... I found a company in Santa Monica , just 20 miles for me, that sells hundreds of different types of LED's and offroad lights. I left him a message I will talk to them later... I'm not in a huge hurry but I would like to set up the rack and have it wired for one or two quick disconnects... Woohoo! Lol. Not to mention,... While I am down there in my old stomping grounds I can stop by and eat at my favorite Mexican restaurant! Drool! He he he...

Here are some pictures, sorry that they're mostly of Jeeps, showing some off road lighting and comparisons and one of the photos of halogen in the rear rig and LED up on the front rig......

Name:  jeepatnight.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  imageqeb.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  395.5 KB

Name:  imagehcv.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  374.1 KB

Name:  led-off-road-light-bar-turn-on.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  118.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0225.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  168.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0224.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2685.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  79.5 KB

Is a picture of them 6 hour meat sauce with homemade sweet Italian sausage and some Angus beef that a friend sent to my employers... Made with fresh tomatoes from the garden, really tasty porch in the mushrooms and Vidalia onions along with a lot of good fresh garlic... Just getting it started and doing the sauce during this time after browning the meats and carmelizing onions...

Name:  20130629_174310.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  2.48 MB

Name:  20130629_194837.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  2.11 MB

Little dessert?( actually a picture from the Cheesecake Factory the other day when I took some pictures of the four generations we have there for dinner... My mom, myself, my daughter, and my granddaughter... I gotta say it's pretty cool to be enjoying this in my mid forties!... Tuxedo cheesecake...

Name:  20130628_193244.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  1.76 MB

I am brain farting pretty badly lately so I can't remember if I post these pictures or not.... If I have I will go back and delete them... But man is my little granddaughter the cutest or what?!?!?!....

My mom singing to my granddaughter... Good grief she was cracking up so hard she almost choked...

Name:  20130628_193033.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  1.92 MB

Some more just of the evening in general...

Name:  20130628_194249.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  2.08 MB

Name:  20130628_194251.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  1.94 MB

Name:  20130628_200100.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  2.07 MB

Name:  20130628_200139.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  1.93 MB

Name:  20130628_200232.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  1.65 MB

Name:  20130628_200223.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  1.59 MB

Name:  20130628_200249.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  1.72 MB

Name:  20130628_200256.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  1.67 MB

Name:  20130628_200358.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  1.45 MB

Name:  20130628_200427.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  1.66 MB

Name:  20130628_200520.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  1.40 MB

Name:  20130628_200725.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  1.29 MB

Some shots recently that were just random... Like this poor man's Corvette in absolutely 100 percent mint condition!....

Name:  20130624_130757.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  3.38 MB

Name:  20130624_130744.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  2.94 MB

Another famous trademark of Santa Monica or I should say West LA is this guy and his shoe store mascot car...

Name:  20130624_103330.jpg
Size:  1.25 MB

Saw this on the way back from Corona when I was dropping off the very last stuff to Eric... Holy smackerel! This thing was beautiful! I tried to get a front shot but I couldn't because my camera was so confused by all the movement all around! Lol... One of my favorite hot rods of the 60's...

Name:  20130627_142209.jpg
Size:  1.83 MB

another thing removed and brought home... This world possibly end up staying in my keep pile. I often see projects that I consider really strongly and very often their front bumper or at least the corners are completely gone or destroyed. This thing isn't perfect it has a couple of impact things from bumper bolts or something like that... But no bending at all. Everything on it is in perfect condition and working including the signals........

Name:  20130629_165514.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  2.26 MB

Also wanted to share the a buddy of mine who has had a hard way for a long time might be having a break. He can be found on Facebook under Humble Harry(humble harry jcsasx)... For years I've gotten shirts from him as he has some really cool original Stills & posters. yesterday, he showed me his CD that is a compilation with others I believe called music that heals. He is a Johnny Cash & Bruce Springsteen tribute artist and is quite incredible dude. I'm not trying to solicit people to go to his site or buy his CD I'm just sharing that I've always enjoyed having a friendship with the guy and I admire what he is doing to help with the fight against cancer. This CD is now being looked at by Starbucks and they are willing to put it in all of their stores... In this case he could go from really struggling 2 actually getting back on solid feet after a long time of struggling with financial and health issues. ... Check out the shirt that I got from him yesterday... Anyone wanna guess who this is kama which should be simple,... But then what is his character's name and from what movie?....

Name:  20130629_164816.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  2.67 MB
Old 06-30-2013, 02:15 PM

YUM food
more awesome family
cool kit car
excellent muscle car
ruby bumper lol
Old 06-30-2013, 02:19 PM

Ah, I thought you would know that car for sure! It is actually named after a stone if I was to give you a hint! ...... It was long referred to as "the poor man's Corvette." I'm afraid of sound like a dork now because maybe it was a kit car but as far as I know it was not... My cousin had one in the late 70's and early 80's with a little bump on the hood and everything. Lol.

And no guess on the man in the picture?.........
Old 06-30-2013, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Ah, I thought you would know that car for sure! It is actually named after a stone if I was to give you a hint! ...... It was long referred to as "the poor man's Corvette." I'm afraid of sound like a dork now because maybe it was a kit car but as far as I know it was not... My cousin had one in the late 70's and early 80's with a little bump on the hood and everything. Lol.

And no guess on the man in the picture?.........
There's one of those special little cars (won't give away the name since I've known since I was a kid) sitting on my grandparent's property. They've become really rare these days. I've long thought about doing something fun with it. I always got a kick out of working the lights with the lever.

Beautiful family Chef, can't wait to see your rig come home all tricked up!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:47 PM

its an opal but they had kits to change their looks that ones in great shape
Old 06-30-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
its an opal but they had kits to change their looks that ones in great shape
Yeah, everybody used to muck them up with Ferrari kits.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by diableri
Yeah, everybody used to muck them up with Ferrari kits.
seen more of them as ferrari clones than stock
Old 06-30-2013, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the Shaggy and RMA thread info. Good information and I like the idea of buying a Lexus to part out after I pull the powerplant.

Thanks Chef.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:03 PM

YEP! An Opel GT .... My cousin Janelle had one that was tricked out and it was a root beer brown metallic and black two tone with gold striping between the two colors. She love that car but if I remember correctly it had lots of problems.

Originally Posted by Red Wagon
Thanks for the Shaggy and RMA thread info. Good information and I like the idea of buying a Lexus to part out after I pull the powerplant.

Thanks Chef.
Right on red! I'm excited for you... I wonder who will get on that first! Insert seriously competitive smiley here! Hahaha! Just kidding, no competition, just helpful back and forth banter if it we both end up going that way.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-30-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:08 PM

It seems a good way to go. Im sure I could find a Lexus for a good price. Plus there is really good info on a 1UZ swap. It will be a better option until my skill level is higher I think.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:27 AM

So, I'm trying to figure out the lights layout on my roof,..... any ideas?

The rack is:

* 60 x 42"

* 2 rectangular spaces up front & back (9 x 4")

* 3 rectangular spaces each side(12" x 4" x two / 11" x 4" x one)

My problem is that most of the lights I'm looking to put in there Arturo LED setups like the 20 inch bar that I got, some of them sold in sets of 4 that are 7 inches long and around 2.6 inches wide .... And the problem portion?... Most all of them around 4 .6 inches tall from the lowest point of the mounting leg to the top of the light. I could probably easily mount them inside of the lower box tube sections that run the length and width, but then the light will be some want protruding into the cage storage portion. I'm hoping this makes sense... I don't want whatever gear my place in there to damage the lights and I don't want the lights in the way... So I suppose it would be best to mount the lights outside of the rectangles, with the rear of their housings going into the area of the rectangle and probably half of the lights sticking out on the outside. I will try to do a drawing using paint shop and a picture of my rack. Either way if I mount them on the inside or outside it will have to mount some tabs.

Here are some pictures of the rack.......

Name:  20130226_160854.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  2.73 MB

Name:  20130226_155417.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  3.20 MB

You should be able to see in this picture the tabs behind the front and rear rectangles. They are actually for mounting a platform so that they have support on the ends... I'm not sure if I will be using a solid platform or not, the way it is now I could mount lights in those tabs on the front and back... There is actually space for most likely 9 inch lights in each rectangle on the front and back... And then on the side if I welded in tabs I could put a 12 inch light in the center rectangle facing out to the side....

Name:  005-3.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  107.7 KB

Couple more pictures....

Name:  023.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  149.3 KB

Name:  004-3.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  120.9 KB
Old 07-01-2013, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Im trying to get caught up on your thread and still have a ways to go. SAS Dual transfer, and what a difference a year makes in a kids life. They dont stay small very long. I was wondering what that red shoe car was. I seen the Oscar Mayer car a couple of weeks ago just cruising down the hiway. That is like the 3rd time I have seen one of those cars.

My neighbor use to restore those Opals and he called them the Poor Mans Corvette as well. I will do so more catching up on your thread, you are not letting the grass grow under your feet. Your runner is making some big changes. Keep up the great work.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:02 AM

If you put lights on the rack would it make it a permanent feature on the roof? Or would you run wire through the door for a plug inside the cab?

I liked those night shot examples. When I get mine all shiney again I want some coloured lights under my rig for some bling now.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread