Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
looking good Chef

you must be over 250 HP with all the sticker
Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Haha, you know I'm not trying to make it better than anyone, just best I can for me, lol. I brought him my orig rear rubber stops, cut to fit in the S.O.R.D.(SKYS) flip plates.... Poly are bone jarring and can rupture kidneys when they touch, Hehehe.... so using the orig's makes for softer contact (and obviously prevents shocks from hitting max-bottom out).... Still have your orig's? I could help ya cut em to weld on the allpro flip plates (or ur pops could of course)....

Got another pic for you while there. ... Its an ARB rear dual tire carrier/dual swing out.... sweet!

Name:  20130627_131850.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  2.45 MB

Thing must weigh LOTS! Lol. ... But as soon as I saw it I thought of you and figured I better take a shot of it.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
looking good Chef

you must be over 250 HP with all the sticker
DZ! Nice to see ya post on here, man! I greatly respect your opinion, so trust me when I tell you that it means a lot coming from you!

By the way, are you really going to sell me short like that? We clocked at least 357 horse with that last RADesigns sticker added on! Haha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-27-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SHES got legs again! WHOOHOOO tires lookin good on her armor on the front lookin good awesomeness!

ooh i like the rims on that dual rear tire carrier probably wouldnt fit my runner though
Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 PM

Hey will, how you doing man?

Yeah, it's really exciting... It will be unrecognizable... Except of course due to the stickers! Lol. Nah, can always tell your own rig.

Guys I am really battling over what to do about the wheels. I need to decide which ones I'm going to use because I cannot hold on to three sets of wheels and tires.

I really don't know if I want to paint the grill hammered black and light rings and all of that stuff... And I guess it's really not necessary if I just leave it like it is now. But I think the little bit of chrome trim and touches would look better with the outlaw two wheels... The Baja wheels I could easily paint hammered black as well. At least then all of the armor & wheels would be matching. Not that it looks bad or anything. And I wasn't trying to hate on the black wheels look... It just seems really common and I really love those old school outlaw 2's. But then as I said, seeing the rig in that picture with the 3500 and the black powder coated Baja wheels... It really doesn't look bad at all.

Here is a side by side...

Name:  20130627_122206.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  2.38 MB

Name:  20130627_133719.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  2.52 MB

Name:  20130608_190022.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  2.67 MB

Name:  20130608_185758.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  2.55 MB

Name:  20130608_185746.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  2.10 MB
Old 06-28-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think if you're going to keep the windshield trim chrome and keep the chrome lips on the wheel arches, keep the grill and light rings chrome as well.

[edit] I just looked at your truck more. You've got the turn signals and tail light trim too. You have so many nice clean chrome accents on your truck. I think it would be a shame to paint the grille. But that's just my opinion.

On my truck, the only shiny metal parts are the door handles, lock barrels, and lug nuts. For some reason, I like that it's so minimal.

I say either go with several chrome parts matching, or as few as possible. The middle ground bothers me.

Last edited by Ocell; 06-28-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:56 PM

mark have ya given thought to a two tone on the outlaws? outer rings hammered inner disk polished aluminum?

leave the gril an headlight surrounds be, they give the face of ruby a nice look too much black would lose her good looks as you dont have a valence to break up the wall of black below the grill
Old 06-28-2013, 01:59 PM

or if your stuck on the baja's a red pinstripe on the rim to help define the wheel from the tire
Old 06-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Thanks guys, and I haven't really given much thought to it because it's making me crazy. I agree with Chris on leaving the chrome alone. I have every bit of chrome trim imaginable and eventually I might have to remove the chrome over the wheel wells... But the rest of it around the windshield and lights and or handles... No way. It's too much work to ready them for paint and its not worth it to me.

There's something about the way out of my truck I guess including the rocker panels being nice and black that really has me thrown off because I have never been a big fan of black wheels... But I really do like the way that looks... Remember that my roof rack is black as well.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:48 PM

I'm a big fan of black wheels, but I'm sure you knew that already.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:02 PM

I have come to a decision on my LED and HID warfare, lol... After going to Tierra del Sol and observing the effectiveness and lack of Shadows with those LED light bars... I am completely sold on those. I also want to avoid using too much power , or at least more than necessary.

I have a bid in on an Australian company LED light bar. Its 20 inch with a max of 12060 LM.... standard of 10,000 LM RUNNING. 126 watts for the entire thing.

They normally go from anywhere between $200 and $300... And rigid industries are selling them for about $500. I'm not worried about this thing being driven over by a tank and it comes with a no questions asked 2 year warranty. 100 percent positive feedback as well.

My bed is for $99 with 5 hours left. The max it can go to including shipping is $176. I was going to grab the one from Yotamasters but it just will not fit because of around 1 inch difference between the pillar where my life tabs are within the bottom portion of the Stinger area of the addicted off road front bumper. The other cool thing about this light is that the mounting tabs are adjustable and our house within a T- track. This light is 504 millimeters long from the very end to the very end... that comes out to 19.78 inches long. The light at the shop where my truck is that I was looking at this 21.78 inches long and is barely too long to fit. It looks like I found the candidate!

I am also looking at backup lights to mount in the spaces between the two tubes on the rear of my 4 X innovations bumper. That will be sick! The only problem is I don't have it with me so I can't get the exact dimensions that I will need in order to make them fit.

I will also be doing lights on my CON-FERR and I came up with dimensions for that which are fairly unique. The portals are only 3 inches in diameter. Back in the day I used to be able to get the aircraft landing lights that would fit perfectly inside of there. However they are more of a spotlight with a max of 30 degree beam angle. So, I decided that I will likely go with LED's within the square portions next to the portals. On the sides I have a center square that is 12 inches long and a little over 4 inches tall. That will be perfect for these lights....

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=281124429117

There are also a 4-inch versions and 6 inch single row that are 5 watt each cree led bulbs. There are also 12 inch that might be perfect doing one on each side with a flood and spot combination.

I thought long and hard about this and I'm definitely going to mount them to the rack because unless I am off roading there's no reason at all to have the lights on there and thus more easy to steal around town! I have an idea to secure the one on the front bumper and I'm fairly certain it would be very difficult to steal. Otherwise I will just make a quick release for it or quick disconnect in other words and voilà! Can't steal something that's not there right? I just have to figure out how many I want on the rack and I think it would be best to do 2 on front and back around 6 inches in each rectangular opening... And then one 12 inch on each side on the rectangular openings.

After that I'm going to consider rock lights but I don't think I will go crazy with that and fairly certain that that can be done a reasonable price. I think Toyo is the one that I saw pictures of Rock lights on his thread... I just can't remember. Can anyone help me on that?
Old 06-28-2013, 03:20 PM

What, no link to the ebay auction for the light bar you're currently winning?

Just kidding of course. Sounds like you have a good plan. I didn't get light tabs put on my bumper, so I'm wondering what the best way to get lights on my truck is.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like black wheels and I agree about leaving the chrome.

If I could have any wheels I've been looking at those new Interco Birdog rims. They are supposed to be no ring bead locks.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So! when you're all up and runnin'.... You down to come down here and Do some Como Chingas Offroad wheelin?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ocell
What, no link to the ebay auction for the light bar you're currently winning?

Just kidding of course. Sounds like you have a good plan. I didn't get light tabs put on my bumper, so I'm wondering what the best way to get lights on my truck is.
Haha. ... Next post! I would definitely head down to have a welder slap on some light tabs. You might want to have them pushed out a little bit from the outermost facing portion of the center of the "A". Adam sent me four tabs that I ordered... I'm planning some things out in which case I will need them... But they're very cheap. I'm going to weld them on the inner portion of the bottom box tube that makes up my Con-ferr rack.

Originally Posted by Red Wagon
I like black wheels and I agree about leaving the chrome.

If I could have any wheels I've been looking at those new Interco Birdog rims. They are supposed to be no ring bead locks.
Thanx for the input, buddy. And those wheels sounds pretty crazy expensive! Lol.

Originally Posted by blakefogt
So! when you're all up and runnin'.... You down to come down here and Do some Como Chingas Offroad wheelin?
Yes sir! I would love to hit CA from tip to top again.... Just don't have a lot of time to go that crazy... But I certainly could probably get down there.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:34 PM

I WINNNNN! ..... haha. ....

First time in a while bidding on anything on eBay and surprisingly most everything else on there kept winding up with around 25 bids.... For some reason the same light the cost around $190 total was at a starting bid of $99..... It never moved in about 20 hours since I placed the bid. I was watching closely because people will slap down that next 10 dollars or whatever is required about 1 minute before it ends... I had it ready to beat them if they did. So, for 99 bucks for an item that I know from a buddy has longevity and is built well.... I will have my 20 inch 12000 lumen theoretical and 8820 operating lumen - sucker! Lol....

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...745&cmd=VIDESC
Old 06-28-2013, 11:43 PM

Ohhhh yeahhhh.....

SAS portion is done.... Just waiting on the rear case to get regeared....And then we can measure for the custom d-shaft sickness!....

Name:  1048301_157581024425056_1100331250_o.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  985.8 KB

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-28-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:31 AM

well aint she a beaut!
wow thats a shock absorber too

awesome on the light bar as well
Old 06-29-2013, 07:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the eBay win!

Im looking forward to seeing the SAS all done. Did the push the axle forward a bit?
Old 06-29-2013, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
well aint she a beaut!
wow thats a shock absorber too

awesome on the light bar as well
Thanx! I'm so excited! Lol. ... THANX on the light bar thing as well! Trippy how so many things can be had for HALF! Geeeesh! That's a whole nother set of lights for her now due to savings.

Originally Posted by Red Wagon
Congrats on the eBay win!

Im looking forward to seeing the SAS all done. Did the push the axle forward a bit?
Thanx, and me 2! Haha....

Yes, it pushes it forward and the shock tower is angled accordingly. Just the angle of the pic I guess. In person it looked different. It is veryyyy clean, btw!

Toyo, was that you that did rock lights?

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread