86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
T
Honestly you really don't need 2wd low. If your driving around town and say hey I need a low gear for moving a heavy trailer across the parking lot. Just select 4wd low and your basicly in 2wd low for free. Just don't engage the front hubs. I so this sometimes when I need to back up really slow. It's not like you always have your hubs locked. Now on the trail. Why and when would you not be in 4wd weather low or high.

It's a cool bling item but its $$ that could be spent else where
You want to be careful doing that "4wd with the hubs free" thing sometimes the hubs don't unlock all the way ['specially if they have'nt been serviced regularly or have been submerged] and you could have a partially engaged hub or one free and one locked situation which is not good for the driveline or vehicle control... safest policy is when in 4wd lock the hubs.
You can be in 4wd on dry pavement... your tires won't like it much but that's about all lol
Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For mine I got a lot of bang for buck/effort by installing a Marlin chromoly 4.7 gear for $595.00. No drive-line or any other modifications. It is saving my clutch and keeping me from stalling at inconvenient times. I no longer have the 2.3 ratio option, but so what, I do still have 4w high. I have been told that the twin sticks are handy for stopping crabbing while trying to make sharp turns. A 4.7 is an legit alternative to a crawl box.
Some guys put a 4.7 in the crawl box. I think that that reduction would be 2.3 x 4.7=10.8:1. For what I do 4.7 reduction is adequate.

P.S. Manual hubs of course.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Today..... I heard Richards barking at me in my ear to get this darn addicted bumper ready,... Hehehe. ..So something struck me to just take a little time today to knock it out...

Here's some pics, what do you guys think?
Barking!?!? Lol jk The paiby job came out looking great man. Not you'll have a tri tube armor combo on your rig. Its gonna look nice man. Gonna be even better though cuz you already have the winch amd your big o lights ready for mounting.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:40 AM

Today..... I heard Richards barking at me in my ear to get this darn addicted bumper ready,... Hehehe. ..So something struck me to just take a little time today to knock it out...

Here's some pics, what do you guys think?
That's gonna look sweet on 'ol Ruby! Do you have to wait on a welder to mount it, or is a bolt on deal?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I know you guys gave me great painting tips, and I appreciate that, but I still think you do the best rattle-can jobs I've ever seen.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Mark

Thought I'd offer you some culinary inspiration for you to feed your helpers [if that was part of the plan]...

Today I'm cooking the chili for my Dad's annual Summer Garden Party for one of the chiors he sings with.... 30 guests have RSVP'd and are also pot lucking a bit... so this should be enough right?...

Name:  2013summerchili1.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  49.8 KB

A close up shot simmering away happily...

Name:  2013summerchili2.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  39.8 KB

IK it does'nt look ready yet but tomorrow evening after its been fermenting for a day she'll be ready....

at last yr's party we had aun planned chili off between myself and one of the ladies in the group and mine won as the across the board fav... [even the other cook said mine was better lol...]

Last edited by aviator; 06-21-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:37 PM

send some o that chilli my way!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by bbrideau
I know the difference between dual cases and twin sticks but thank you =p. i wouldn't be using 2 low for driving around town, there's been times tho that 4 wheel drive has not been necessary but have lower range to get up an oddly pitched trail without having front end lock up at full steering stop, not to mention without the forward motion of the front tires it has a better chance of not breaking traction and keeping me pointed where i need to go. living in the heart of the Rockies you come across some finicky spots. I've been looking a lot into the triple stick+dual case (2.28+4.7) vs twin stick and a single 4.7 case i think i might just go the same route as you chef, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, know what i mean?

Bumper looks sick by the way, i think i need to hire you for some painting my friend!
Whoops sorry I missed read your post. Must haven been tired or the tony screen of my phone.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, Chef! Just a quick stop by to get caught on the last happenings....can't wait to see the big transformation.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
You want to be careful doing that "4wd with the hubs free" thing sometimes the hubs don't unlock all the way ['specially if they have'nt been serviced regularly or have been submerged] and you could have a partially engaged hub or one free and one locked situation which is not good for the driveline or vehicle control... safest policy is when in 4wd lock the hubs.
You can be in 4wd on dry pavement... your tires won't like it much but that's about all lol
No locker in the front I don't see any problems if one was engaged and one wasn't. It's still open diff and power will go to the unlocked hub. I only regrease my hubs when I do brakes which isn't often. Hubs still working as it should. A tip for water crossing is that last star gasket.. Use a little fipg or silicone on it. Was told by someone who wheels a lot in water. Said it will save your hubs. Which I did just in case

More of a reason to get a selected front locker but I see some good points for twin sticks. I honestly don't see any of the hard core guys I wheel with ever have to use 2wd low with steering maxed out. If its already that hard of an obstacle and you can do it in locked rwd. You must really not be on a hard obstacle.

Sorry chef. Ill stay on topic. Bumper looks sweet. Can't wait to see how it all looks together with what you have. Your dreams of a SA is almost there. Gonna be one sweet ride. I now will be drooling over yours now

Last edited by ToyoTech559; 06-21-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck87
For mine I got a lot of bang for buck/effort by installing a Marlin chromoly 4.7 gear for $595.00. No drive-line or any other modifications. It is saving my clutch and keeping me from stalling at inconvenient times. I no longer have the 2.3 ratio option, but so what, I do still have 4w high. I have been told that the twin sticks are handy for stopping crabbing while trying to make sharp turns. A 4.7 is an legit alternative to a crawl box.
Some guys put a 4.7 in the crawl box. I think that that reduction would be 2.3 x 4.7=10.8:1. For what I do 4.7 reduction is adequate.

P.S. Manual hubs of course.
I hear you buddy! That was my initial plan but after very very very long consideration and reading and so forth I decided to go with dual cases. it's not going to hurt anything, right? Lol

Originally Posted by Redeth005

Barking!?!? Lol jk The paiby job came out looking great man. Not you'll have a tri tube armor combo on your rig. Its gonna look nice man. Gonna be even better though cuz you already have the winch amd your big o lights ready for mounting.
hahahaha... I'm sorry Richard I should've reworded that: I meant to say burning my ears ... And even that would be improperly worded. What I should say is, I can feel my ears burning as Richard was probably talking across town about how I need to get that done! Lol. As far as the lights... It's looking as if they have to go. I'm going to make sure today, but it is looking as if they are just too big and would make contact with each other. That doesn't mean that there is not a way... I'm going to try and figure it out. There's only so much the space inside that square stinger.... Or anything for that matter. If I do get new lights I'm really torn between HID and LED. There's benefits to both, but the LED is just so great that swallowing up all the shadows,... I think they're just not as great as HID's at providing a pencil beam that works but 300 to 600 yards or more. You know like mine? But in reality, how often is night wheeling about anything that's 300 to 600 yards away? That's a tough one because at times you want to see far off in the distance to the decide which line you're going to take , you know?

Originally Posted by NickMiller

That's gonna look sweet on 'ol Ruby! Do you have to wait on a welder to mount it, or is a bolt on deal?
Thanks Nick, I really like it! Far as how it goes on...

Well, if you look at the pictures before it's painted, you can see me that there are bolts there... That is only there at that point to hold the frame reinforcement plate to the bumper plate , just for shipping. That place gets well did and is pretty straightforward because all the bolt holes line up over your current bolt holes. So you just weld in that plate and then mount your bumper over it. I will be mounting it with bolts and a few small welds that I could later get to and grind free if I needed to get the bumper off. I do not agree with some of the full on welding all the way around everything' especially bumpers.

Originally Posted by Ocell
I know you guys gave me great painting tips, and I appreciate that, but I still think you do the best rattle-can jobs I've ever seen.
Hahaha,....why thank you, kind sir! Lol....

Hey Mark

Thought I'd offer you some culinary inspiration for you to feed your helpers [if that was part of the plan]...

Today I'm cooking the chili for my Dad's annual Summer Garden Party for one of the chiors he sings with.... 30 guests have RSVP'd and are also pot lucking a bit... so this should be enough right?...

IK it does'nt look ready yet but tomorrow evening after its been fermenting for a day she'll be ready....

at last yr's party we had aun planned chili off between myself and one of the ladies in the group and mine won as the across the board fav... [even the other cook said mine was better lol...]
Very cool..... LOVE Chili! Even with beans.... hahaha..... jk. Thats mostly dead, that unwritten law. Hehe. I make a venison and prickly pear cactus chili that won a few contests. LOVE chili.

Originally Posted by bbrideau
send some o that chilli my way!
Hahaha.... x2!

Whoops sorry I missed read your post. Must haven been tired or the tony screen of my phone.
Originally Posted by rworegon
Hey, Chef! Just a quick stop by to get caught on the last happenings....can't wait to see the big transformation.
Hey man! How you been? Thanx for popping in.... and NEITHER CAN I! Lol.....

No locker in the front I don't see any problems if one was engaged and one wasn't. It's still open diff and power will go to the unlocked hub. I only regrease my hubs when I do brakes which isn't often. Hubs still working as it should. A tip for water crossing is that last star gasket.. Use a little fipg or silicone on it. Was told by someone who wheels a lot in water. Said it will save your hubs. Which I did just in case

More of a reason to get a selected front locker but I see some good points for twin sticks. I honestly don't see any of the hard core guys I wheel with ever have to use 2wd low with steering maxed out. If its already that hard of an obstacle and you can do it in locked rwd. You must really not be on a hard obstacle.

Sorry chef. Ill stay on topic. Bumper looks sweet. Can't wait to see how it all looks together with what you have. Your dreams of a SA is almost there. Gonna be one sweet ride. I now will be drooling over yours now
I would love BOTH to be selectable! Lol.... Just would be into another few thousand. ... And I just can't justify it atm... The Spartans have done great by me, so they will do for now. As far as the point you were making, I totally understand.

Far as the manual locking hubs, I always use a very, very, very thin film on the star gasket, same as the timing cover... in at least 15 times that I've had these and other hubs apart... Never a single drop and the grease looks fine. Richard can tell you that there are spots all over even the Angelus trust where it's not just mud it's fairly deep water... You really have no choice at certain points but to go through a turn back... Of course reverse for about a mile and a half? Lol. Those are the kind of things that you do not want to screw around with... but I feel that it is equally as critical to make sure that you also scuff up the gasket around the hub body/ the freewheel hub gasket and then coat it with a little bit of sealer, or start with a new one altogether. Allowing any water into your spindle / bearings... Death to a front end! I know that one end leads to another.... Just have to remember that both gaskets can be affected. Also, I'm a big fan of going light on the sealer in most applications, especially anywhere on the motor that can wind up allowing blobs of hardened sealer into your water jackets or otherwise. look at anything Toyota did, and most things that lasted several hundred thousand miles without ever being compromised had little or no sealer. Submerging something? Yes sir, that can lead to a whole other can of worms! Lol. Also I've tried to tell all my buddies to make sure that they do their breather extensions before their next trips.

Thanx for the kind words, Toyo, regarding getting the Sfa going. This will all pay off in practical application and I am so excited 2 not only get my truck back and enjoy it... But the ability it will give me to go that much further into those spots that I love, .... Less traffic, less noise, peaceful getaways where I don't have to worry as much about some Tweaker stealing my cat, super loud boom boom music all night long, or worse. See I don't need this rig to get to some of the hot springs that I love... But I do in order to get to others and then from there on to other places. For me, it's been a lot of experimenting and a long wait to finally just do what I was going to do in the first place. But I'm glad I did and I feel that it only greatly improved my ability to navigate through the trails and gave me better skills wheeling.

I also wanted to clarify one of the reasons that I went with 488 gears... especially considering that I'm running 35's.... Which I don't think is an issue at all. One of the reasons is because I have plans in the not too distant future for a pretty serious heart transplant on old Ruby Redrum.... This will mean that with 5.29's, I would be seriously suffering around town or on the freeway. Even for wheeling it would be likely overkill. We will see, but from everything I've read for the things that I will likely do I would be better off with the 4.88's or possibly even 4:56 gears . That's a whole other subject that I will not get into any further right now... Just throwing it out there. Well, I shouldn't say I won't go into it... But its just not something I'm even close to doing at the moment. Then again, as Richard said on another thread... Quote, Mark sure does find some crazy deals!, end quote. Lol. I think for now the actual building of a motor could start, but the swap is not something that I'm really wanting to get into at the moment.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Chef, been doing good here. I seem to spend a lot more time on here on during the long, cold winter months as the long days of summer draw me outside 'til dark. I do check a few threads every now and then.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 AM

Check out this old girl at the transmission shop...

Name:  20130621_131540.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  2.27 MB

Name:  20130621_131526.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  2.10 MB

This was at Yotamasters..... The guy drove down from somewhere way up north... Seems like a long way to drive something like that! Lol. I imagine it wasn't the most comfortable ride, heehee....

Name:  20130621_151329.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  1.96 MB

And then there's this old girl, looking a little naked without her skirt on! Lol...

Name:  20130621_151507.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  2.08 MB

Name:  20130621_153749.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  1.94 MB

Dual case low profile cross member / skid plate...

Name:  20130621_153450.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  2.12 MB

And then, this is how the triple stick set up from rad designs will look, minus the Marlin knobs... For some reason that is just a picture what he posted after doing that for someone else.... That whole setup should be here by today or Monday!...

Name:  a672012cad0bc1786a1df3b4ecab5eda.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  243.6 KB

Yowwwwza! Very much enjoyed hanging out there yesterday, but not so much the drive to downtown LA and then over to there and then home. 4 FREAKING HOURS, hitting pretty much every bad patch of asphalt within Southern California from my house to LA to the Inland Empire! Lol. Whatever, you get used to it but only to some degree... I always end up screaming out loud. With my windows up.... like people do as an exercise of release when they yell into a pillow? Haha. People laugh sitting next to me and I look over and I smile really big, then I roll down the window and I say... Damn that felt good! Heehee. I took some video of just how bad the traffic is and how to trap you are as you head out into the Inland Empire. In certain areas there are no side roads nor anything else for quite a while... It took me 45 minutes to go 2 miles around one touch of mountain. That is round where I took the video. I will upload it later...
Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Traffic....yuck! Here I'm sitting on my front porch with a view of Mt Hood to the west and the mighty Columbia River about a mile away and a couple miles of water in view. Traffic.....what's that???? Lol The joys of rural America.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Traffic....yuck! Here I'm sitting on my front porch with a view of Mt Hood to the west and the mighty Columbia River about a mile away and a couple miles of water in view. Traffic.....what's that???? Lol The joys of rural America.
:/ haha
Old 06-22-2013, 02:42 PM

Hey Mark

Well then, give us the recipie. I LOVE chilli and so does the missus.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:29 PM

I know you've probably been asked this multiple times, but what kind of light bar is on the front of your 4Runner?
Old 06-22-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the CV's Mark, it was nice seeing/talking with you again.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:05 PM

I also wanted to clarify one of the reasons that I went with 488 gears... especially considering that I'm running 35's.... Which I don't think is an issue at all. One of the reasons is because I have plans in the not too distant future for a pretty serious heart transplant on old Ruby Redrum.... This will mean that with 5.29's, I would be seriously suffering around town or on the freeway. Even for wheeling it would be likely overkill. We will see, but from everything I've read for the things that I will likely do I would be better off with the 4.88's or possibly even 4:56 gears . That's a whole other subject that I will not get into any further right now... Just throwing it out there. Well, I shouldn't say I won't go into it... But its just not something I'm even close to doing at the moment. Then again, as Richard said on another thread... Quote, Mark sure does find some crazy deals!, end quote. Lol. I think for now the actual building of a motor could start, but the swap is not something that I'm really wanting to get into at the moment.

Is your transmission gearing different than in my 2nd Gen?

I wish I was closer to you. I'd drive over give you the keys and head out onto the highway with my 35's and 5.29 gears so you can see what it's like.

I run great at highway speeds. RPM's where they should be and around town I got back the power I didn't have with 33"s and stock 4.30's.

My speedometer is also dead accurate.

Is anyone around you on 35's and 5.29 gears?

Edit//

Oh nvm, I see that it's in the shop already.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 06-22-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
I know you've probably been asked this multiple times, but what kind of light bar is on the front of your 4Runner?
Hahaha...... Yep, I have, but thats ok. Pretty much 90% sure it is taken.... unfortunately, I pulled it yesterday at the shop and got it home,.....and he can't get it just yet, as a family thing came up.... So hopefully for me he will grab it very shortly... Not so good for the 10 or so that have asked for it since he put dibs on it. Lol. Ppl really like that Downey Grill guard/light bar..... And it seems to be so much more heavy duty then a lot of the others out there.

Originally Posted by Grego92
Thanks for the CV's Mark, it was nice seeing/talking with you again.
VERY good seeing ya, Grego! Always enjoy hanging out. Can't wait to do a trip! Fishing tips for Chef! Haha

Originally Posted by Red Wagon

Is your transmission gearing different than in my 2nd Gen?

I wish I was closer to you. I'd drive over give you the keys and head out onto the highway with my 35's and 5.29 gears so you can see what it's like.

I run great at highway speeds. RPM's where they should be and around town I got back the power I didn't have with 33"s and stock 4.30's.

My speedometer is also dead accurate.

Is anyone around you on 35's and 5.29 gears?

Edit//

Oh nvm, I see that it's in the shop already.
Hey, it's all good.... I've got buddies with the motor swap in likely going to do and they're going back to 4.56 cuz the powerband is so different.....

Our trans' and their gearing is different due to the 3.0 u have. With my motor being built, my 22re did 95 mph on 33's and 4.30's (i have video of my GPS showing it) . If u r auto, all the more reason to be a grade up. And yes, I would do a lil Better on hills and such, .... but I would lose it where I want it ..... Plus, when I do this swap, I'll have more than 125hp/ft# torque more than I do now...and a different powerband all together.

Yes, I have all new G2 gears and premium rebuild kits done already..... The trans is the very last W56 w/R15A gear driven top shift cases(remember, it's a donor from the yard), I believe the late 89-94 22re's were G52 trans w/chain driven, forward shift tcases? Very similar in the trans.... but u can ask AssyrianRocker.....He FAR prefers his newly installed W56 to his orig G52, as it has a much tighter and shorter throw that supposedly responds quicker? Hehe. I'm not saying I'm positive this route will be much better... But from all I've read, I'm thinking I went the right way for me. Ya know? BUT THANK YA! Very grateful for you looking out!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread