86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heres an interesting idea from pirate 4x4.

EDit: a company called DrSmash makes them, and it allows you to retain stock location of tcase shifter
Another edit haha: found this in drsmash sig on pirate 4x4, that picture is from 2008 but ya never know he might still make them "call 775-884-4947 http://www.DrSmash.com"
Name:  100_6037.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  87.9 KB

Last edited by bbrideau; 06-20-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
yeah, that's what davez and radesigns do as well. here's my setup, and i get to retain everything in the cab (pocket, console, bezel, etc)

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...8/P9010126.jpg

Name:  temporary-2263.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  79.6 KB
Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 AM

its nice that your linkage is adjustable between everything.

I'm going to assume that one case has 4.7 gears in it, if so, do you find you use that extra low low crawl ratio often? I was thinking of just going single t case 4.7 geared and twin sticked but if the juice is worth the squeeze i might follow in some footsteps
Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Is a very easy way to tell if your output shaft seal on your transmission is leaking. I have opened the check and fill bolt on the transfer case and had over a quart of fluid come on out... One time I think it was 1 and three-quarter courts... That is very little forward for a transmission of that size three operating on... Basically one quart if he even that. This time she is getting echo seals all around, and I should be a long time from any future leaks.
I just drained my tcase and that exact thing happened to me. I was wondering how that happened. Time to top off the transmission! I'm so glad you posted this.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have one of these?

Name:  boottwin200_zps9927f737.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  5.1 KB

In stock from Marlin.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by bbrideau

I'm going to assume that one case has 4.7 gears in it, if so, do you find you use that extra low low crawl ratio often? I was thinking of just going single t case 4.7 geared and twin sticked but if the juice is worth the squeeze i might follow in some footsteps
i haven't taken the duals off-road yet. from what i have done, though, 4.7's would be nice for technical crawling, and 2.28's good for general trail driving. 4.7's can only get you up to ~15mph, while 2.28's get up to ~25.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ocell
I'm about to install the 4xInnovations sliders, myself. I want to be in the club!

You are already in our rigs look super similiar
Old 06-20-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by irab88
yeah, rory at radesigns is awesome. after a few emails, he set me up with a custom kit. the only thing is that it sticks up about half-an-inch, so you'll need to get a body lift, modify the tunnel, or modify the crossmember.

davez is probably good stuff, too, but i never heard anything back when i was looking for my custom setup. i know that you won't need any special modifications to make it fit in the tranny tunnel, though.

also: mark- here is the radesigns link (yours doesn't appear to be working for me) http://radesignsproducts.com/Triple_Sticks.html
Thanks, herein lies the problem with Dave'z: From other pro's, I've been told that they have read lately the People are saying they can't get their stuff or get ahold of him... But then later red that he had a loss in his family or something in Washington? I'm not sure and I will have to look into that further on the web in order to come to any vague idea and then obviously speak with him or his staff in order to figure out conclusively if that's the case. He doesn't appear to have any lag time posted on his site, but if he is dealing with the loss in the family and I'm guessing that could put things back quite a bit... That is something I can definitely relate with and I hope for his family's case that's not what is going on. I would definitely be going with his triple stick relocation kit but keep my stock shifter and bass in the front, then probably use his billet aluminum shifter knobs across all 3. For his call box shifter it is definitely a trail gear unit but that is one that I have not heard problems with... I just don't see it as being necessary as the trail gear version of that shifter looks fairly tangled the same way and a larger more tube like apparatus. I already have the Marlins bushing kit for the trans in my transmission that will be getting replaced, so I will simply pull that and the transfer case shifter in order to get the same tight shifting I had in my failing transmission , minus the 4th gear dry shift! Haha.

It seems like I would like to deal with Dave's kit as I wouldn't have to deal with much of a tunneling issue... But now I'm not certain as to whether those will be available.

I think i remember seeing some pictures of what guys have done when going dual t cases and i believe you only end up losing the pocket on your center console. kinda sucks loosing that convenient little pocket but then you have to think its one less place to allow junk to pile up. I will try and find that picture again mark
heres an interesting idea from pirate 4x4.

EDit: a company called DrSmash makes them, and it allows you to retain stock location of tcase shifter
Another edit haha: found this in drsmash sig on pirate 4x4, that picture is from 2008 but ya never know he might still make them "call 775-884-4947 http://www.DrSmash.com"
Thanks a lot Brandon... I appreciate you taking the time. It looks as if his site is under construction but sounds by the message is no he is definitely still in business. I like the idea of Dave's kit coming with a no questions asked 100 percent lifetime guarantee( I think there was one exception like rolling down a mountain or something? Lol ).... I also try my hardest to grab products from people that are local or at least made in the USA. That is one of the reasons I chose the dirty thirties is that they are now made in the US soley, and since then have become pretty much bomb proof. It looks as though everything Dr smash does is US made as well and he is very humbly asking for a chance to do work for people. I will give him a call for sure if I can find the number on that site. I just want to make sure that it is set up the same as Dave's so that along with the Heim's, it is set at a very low profile to prevent contact with the tunnel.

yeah, that's what davez and radesigns do as well. here's my setup, and i get to retain everything in the cab (pocket, console, bezel, etc)

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...8/P9010126.jpg

Haha. . Its WAAaaay worth it and is up there with lockers in the mind of those who've done it in the realm of "best mods ever".

Originally Posted by Ocell

I just drained my tcase and that exact thing happened to me. I was wondering how that happened. Time to top off the transmission! I'm so glad you posted this.
Very welcome!

Originally Posted by Buck87
Do you have one of these?

In stock from Marlin.
Nope, lol. Supposedly included in Davez kit.

i haven't taken the duals off-road yet. from what i have done, though, 4.7's would be nice for technical crawling, and 2.28's good for general trail driving. 4.7's can only get you up to ~15mph, while 2.28's get up to ~25.
Originally Posted by Outsane

You are already in our rigs look super similiar
Edit;

From all I'm reading there are some serious nightmare stories with customer service at Daves. If I just knew somebody in Placerville the kid walking to his shop and pick it up for me I would be glad to pay for it in advance and then pay whoever picks it up for shipping as well, and also some gas money??? Anyone?

Of course, this is all providing he even has them in stock. I am just not willing to wait months for something like this. No way.

I'm going to give Rory a call as well as Dr.Smash.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From all I'm reading there are some serious nightmare stories with customer service at Daves. If I just knew somebody in Placerville the kid walking to his shop and pick it up for me I would be glad to pay for it in advance and then pay whoever picks it up for shipping as well, and also some gas money??? Anyone?

Of course, this is all providing he even has them in stock. I am just not willing to wait months for something like this. No way.

I'm going to give Rory a call as well as Dr.Smash.

Uh oh, there goes the budget.

I always hate having to buy stuff under timeline pressures. I've been doing house renovations and have gotten massive bargains on tools required except any surprise tools. Surprises and a deadline always seem to cost more.

I hope you source the parts required in a timely and not so pocket painful way.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:08 PM

I can do almost 50mph with stock low range
Old 06-20-2013, 12:14 PM

*while staying at a reasonable rpm (aka, i'm not pegging it at 4.5k)
Old 06-20-2013, 12:35 PM

IAN(and everyone else who's always chimed in with NUGGETS OF PERSONAL-EXPERIENTIAL WISDOM)..... thanks!

Ian, and whomever else cares......

DO NOT DEAL ONLY WITH YOUR SMART PHONE when looking into purchases.....

* I spoke with Rory at RADesigns, ..... AWESOME YOTA-BROTHER! haha.... Seriously, I immediately felt comfortable/respected and was given an answer within in seconds....

My question? : "Will this allow me to use the stock location with a top shift gear driven R15A Dual Case Set up? AND WHEN can I get one, exactly????" ....lol...

Rory's Answer: "I HAVE 14 OF THEM, RIGHT NOW.... Wait, you're using the Mobile App, right? DANG! Yeah, go to the site on your PC....."..... I did so, ....."See the options?" .....

....I did now see the options, clicked 'ORDER' and within 5 minutes, while on the phone with him, IT'S PROCESSED, Conf# and will be shipped within 48 hours! NOW THAT'S SERVICE!

Not only that, but Rory's set up COMES WITH the Rubber 3x shift boot kit for the sealing off at the tunnel.... 2. His are MUCH more narrow distance apart than Davez, so they do NOT need, most often, much if any tunnel modification to fit..... nor cutting of the boot area too much if any.... AND, ......his price is 250$ SHIPPED!

I AM SO FREAKING STOKED to have yet another piece of good news like this... AND, I can tell from Ian that this is good quality.

All I have to modify is a small bend of the stock shifter which will be in the crawl box.... Just to line them all up evenly. However, that is apparently not even 100% necessary. We'll see when I get it all.

WE'RE IN MOTION! Picking up my Tcase on Friday(tomorrow) and all the parts from the front end for RAD4runner and TOYOTECH..... At which point I will pick up my 23 spline dual case adapter, the 4.7/23 spline upgraded gear set and the HD crossmember(low profile HD plate gets it up a bit, which will allow for a tiny drop with HD washers if needed to fit the tunnel, with the triple stick assembly.

AGAIN, THANK YOU, IAN, FOR TAKING TIME TO MAKE SURE I at least checked Rory out..... YOUR WAY WON THE DAY! lol.....
Old 06-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Woot glad to hear you're on your way Mark...

You know that crawl box will be useful in normal LA traffic too... just crunk her down in to LL and you can sit in traffic just idlin' along and not have to touch the brakes at all...

sometimes just for fun up here [where we have the worst traffic in NA according to NA wide studies] I'll go into 4lo and let her "idle" along up some long hills we have... lotsa fun and it exercises the driveline... win win...
Old 06-20-2013, 09:13 PM

Who else makes a twin stick apart form TG? i like the idea of twin stick for sure. having 2 low could come in handy once in a while.
Twin stick does not equal dual cases.
Twin stick only let's you select 2wd low on top of what you already have which is 2wd high, 4wd high, and 4wd low.

Honestly you really don't need 2wd low. If your driving around town and say hey I need a low gear for moving a heavy trailer across the parking lot. Just select 4wd low and your basicly in 2wd low for free. Just don't engage the front hubs. I so this sometimes when I need to back up really slow. It's not like you always have your hubs locked. Now on the trail. Why and when would you not be in 4wd weather low or high.

It's a cool bling item but its $$ that could be spent else where
Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 PM

Wow, am I freaky-deakycited! First time in quite a while that I enlisted pros to do major reno/resto on my rig.... and while I thought I would be really bummed.... I'M NOT! LOL...

I wish I could have been more hands on, but I'm grateful, simultaneously, that I'm able to get it done, rather than wait. Trust me, ..... I'm grateful. Remember.... I was going to do it right here in my driveway.... Just ended up having to go a different route.... Its all good, things turned out in the end.

That brings me to pretty nerve racking news.....

THE FRONT END IS ON THE GROUND! Rear is all removed, rear springs, front hoops and so forth for finalization will go through by Monday or Tuesday! WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO! HAHAHA. ...

Tomorrow, I will head out there to pick up my f ront end parts for RAD, Toyo & Nick Miller.... First I'm meeting up with Grego, here, at my home, to give him the CV'S before heading out.......

Gotta pull the grill guard for Nick while I'm out there. Thanks for being patient you guys! Thank you for understanding that it was out of my hands in this instance... As a couple of you said, I always try to get things out as quickly as possible... The stuff just happened to be bolted on to my truck and couldn't come off until a certain point, hahahahaha. Well that was frustrating. I had a dream actually that I bolted a rod across the truck and put the wheels on it somehow so that the tow truck pull it up on the flatbed without the entire front end on! Lol.... I literally laughed out loud when I woke up. It made me realize how much I really needed to have this done for have a cranial aneurysm from being overwhelmed. He he he... Honestly, I've been going out this for like 3 or 4 years now in my spare time? This is why I wanted to do this once and for all with all the stuff that I knew would make for a better experience. I guess I can say I've been pretty patient... And I have a lot of fun along the way before doing the major stuff that I am now.

Tomorrow, along with all of the parts that I will be bringing back I will also be picking up my 4.7, 23 spline gear set for the transfer case that will go in the back along with a 23 spline dual case adapter. As I already mentioned, thanks to Ian and of course to Rory, I will be having my relocated triple stick kit to make the Beast complete. This of course will require the complete assembly and being ready with the transmission and dual cases and shifter assembly on the ground . my problem, at that point, is that once I get my truck home I have to remove the transfer case that is on my rig in order to build the 4.7 box. The donor 2.28 box that I got from the yard is in pristine condition according to my trans man. This will be my forward or crawl box of the two and as I said the one that's coming off will be the 4.7 case in the rear.... At that point as you can imagine it will be a little bit difficult to drive it back out to Corona to Inland Empire drive line.... lol. I really would like for them to do this as they deal with a lot of specialty four wheel drive stuff, so I will either have to take some measurements once I slept in and drive it back out or just leave the mat Suba chromoly drive shaft kit for the front with Eric, along with the 96 to 2004 Tacoma transfer case pinion flange and driveshaft joint... This way I can simply give him the measurements once I've mounted everything... And voila! ... I Drive back out and pick them up. Also, remember that since I am doing dual cases this dramatically changes the pinion angle and subsequently will require most likely that I add my carden joint from the front shaft in order to get a well-balanced, shorter and more angled shaft. The front shaft will be even longer and with less angle after the cases are set up.......... They rarely need a carden joint up front.

Anyway that's the end of that update for now... I'm not in a dramatic carita driving home I think it might end up saving money in the long run and give me another hundred miles or so on the gears. Make sense?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-20-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 PM

I see the case for them though, Toyo... Especially regarding off road. Having the ability to go into 2 low, creeping through crazy stuff, can be absolutely beautiful... It's especially helpful when you're at crazy angles in full steer and the drive line is locking up... That is the majority of the reason for that. Eliminating the herky jerky of a front locker when crawling through certain situations.

Brandon, dual cases also can basically give your clutch, if you have one, a huge break, as you don't have to power over obstacles that you normally would... In a sense, I agree with Toyo as you don't necessarily need dual sticks in order to accomplish a lower gear ratio with 2 cases. Brandon, just picture 2.28 case is basically 2.28 times slower than normal speed that the gears are turning, with an equal amount of power going to them. When you put together 2 of them, you basically multiply 2.28 X 2.28... Giving you basically 4.5x slower gear ratio... Put a 2.28 in front of a 4.7?... You get the point. I don't think I will be using this to drive around the parking lot or on the freeway... But I get the point Paul is making.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:17 PM

Today..... I heard Richards barking at me in my ear to get this darn addicted bumper ready,... Hehehe. ..So something struck me to just take a little time today to knock it out...

Here's some pics, what do you guys think?

Name:  20130620_171541.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  2.43 MB

Name:  20130620_171547.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  2.01 MB

Name:  20130620_171554.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  2.38 MB

Name:  20130620_171604.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  2.07 MB

Name:  20130620_171614.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  2.53 MB

Name:  20130620_171634.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  2.67 MB

Name:  20130620_171952.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  1.79 MB

Name:  20130620_172036.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  1.93 MB
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 PM

Triple stick; email from Rory after calling him today (he told me a couple days).....

"Shipping 6-21-2013:

Well, I know I told you a couple of days, ....I hope 1 is ok? Thanks for your business, Rory." .....

Woot!
Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sweet paint looks a lot better with it

id want the dual sticks as around here we get so much ice an snow sometimes 4x4 is too much an breaks loose when ya need the fronts to guide ya by rolling not powering

one day last winter i drove home from dropping the lady off at a job thing in 4x4 so much ice i regularly lost traction on least 1 - 2 wheels at all times sweatin bullets i was studded tires an still loosing traction...
Old 06-21-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
Twin stick does not equal dual cases.
Twin stick only let's you select 2wd low on top of what you already have which is 2wd high, 4wd high, and 4wd low.

Honestly you really don't need 2wd low. If your driving around town and say hey I need a low gear for moving a heavy trailer across the parking lot. Just select 4wd low and your basicly in 2wd low for free. Just don't engage the front hubs. I so this sometimes when I need to back up really slow. It's not like you always have your hubs locked. Now on the trail. Why and when would you not be in 4wd weather low or high.

It's a cool bling item but its $$ that could be spent else where
I see the case for them though, Toyo... Especially regarding off road. Having the ability to go into 2 low, creeping through crazy stuff, can be absolutely beautiful... It's especially helpful when you're at crazy angles in full steer and the drive line is locking up... That is the majority of the reason for that. Eliminating the herky jerky of a front locker when crawling through certain situations.

Brandon, dual cases also can basically give your clutch, if you have one, a huge break, as you don't have to power over obstacles that you normally would... In a sense, I agree with Toyo as you don't necessarily need dual sticks in order to accomplish a lower gear ratio with 2 cases. Brandon, just picture 2.28 case is basically 2.28 times slower than normal speed that the gears are turning, with an equal amount of power going to them. When you put together 2 of them, you basically multiply 2.28 X 2.28... Giving you basically 4.5x slower gear ratio... Put a 2.28 in front of a 4.7?... You get the point. I don't think I will be using this to drive around the parking lot or on the freeway... But I get the point Paul is making.

I know the difference between dual cases and twin sticks but thank you =p. i wouldn't be using 2 low for driving around town, there's been times tho that 4 wheel drive has not been necessary but have lower range to get up an oddly pitched trail without having front end lock up at full steering stop, not to mention without the forward motion of the front tires it has a better chance of not breaking traction and keeping me pointed where i need to go. living in the heart of the Rockies you come across some finicky spots. I've been looking a lot into the triple stick+dual case (2.28+4.7) vs twin stick and a single 4.7 case i think i might just go the same route as you chef, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, know what i mean?

Bumper looks sick by the way, i think i need to hire you for some painting my friend!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread