86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahaha.... I should have been more specific... I was actually referring to the cover that guy on American Idol did. I never really watch the show but I saw that guy on all kinds of commercials and heard about him getting contracts and flying around in a g5... I'm sure he's a nice guy but good lord Hollywood does some interesting things.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
DAAaanng! I've missed a lot on your thread Mark! Rear bumper looks great, it really finishes off the look with the rock sliders! Didn't know you were planning a SAS, that's sweet, can't wait to see how it comes out!... Sorry if you already stated it, but are you going with an IFS eliminator kit?
Old 06-14-2013, 01:07 PM

Thanx Ed! Yes, it was an upgraded ifs elim kit from a member who'd changed plans. Great deal.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:13 PM

Woot! . .... Lol. ..

Name:  20130614_123430.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  1.90 MB
Old 06-14-2013, 02:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
new door hinge looks good primer paint after good cleaning lol
Old 06-14-2013, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hahaha, I love to laugh. ... amd well, not having had a lot of friends to hang out with over the last few years, its just become a little less laughing & a lot more work? Hehehe.... I appreciate a good laugh once in awhile.. And by once in awhile I mean every couple hours! Lol. I'm serious guys, I love laughter and find it to be such an important part of my life. Along with that I love mysteries and puzzles and the ability to be creative in an artistic or landscaping type adventure... and boy if I had my share of mysteries & puzzles with this truck! Haha..
i couldnt help mah self
Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what'd you use for a dust cap/seal min the backside of the hubs? Just curious if you found something any less redneck than I used on my Blue Betty prerunner!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:52 PM

Got the door hung up and went to work. ....

Name:  20130614_155617.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  2.25 MB

Removed the lock panel cover and after using a punch through the stripped threaded hole I was to be working on, marked where to drill from the inside then made a pilot and then larger hole to get the drill and timesert tools through....

Name:  20130614_163529.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  3.21 MB

Then I drilled and then tapped it out,...

Name:  20130614_165046.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  2.17 MB

Before inserting the sert backwards, I had to trim of the end..... It acts like a blind hole in that the bolt will not go through from one side to the other and will not go through at all from the backside... So in order to make it work screwing in from the back side( all in an effort to avoid having to remove the fender... Which worked! )...I had to trim of the last couple threads of the sert..... And then Voila, lil loctite, timesert installer & back in she went.....

Name:  20130614_170234.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  1.33 MB

Closes like brand new now..... Woot! Lol

Thanx RB, Will, all idea slingers... It really helped to think this out.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:16 AM

ahhh SEE says the blind man ya attacked it from behind! awesome!! mark!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
So what'd you use for a dust cap/seal min the backside of the hubs? Just curious if you found something any less redneck than I used on my Blue Betty prerunner!
Haha..... Nope, nothing less redneck, hehe.... In fact, same thing, and even worse,....they are not matchin! Lol. See the red paint cap on the right amd black on the left in the pic?

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
ahhh SEE says the blind man ya attacked it from behind! awesome!! mark!
Yep! Thanks to RB,...... Even if he didn't mean this exactly, ....if he'd not said from the kick panel... I might not of thought about this. Even thought about putting a Bolt through the back/nut on the outside..... but on the end, just went with original. Didnt go crazy with paint.... just heavy on some clear coat. I am going to have a buddy dip it for me, later. He works in paint and can do a dip in red for me. For now, I'm moving on to the OEM ign lock cyl rekey project! Lol
Old 06-15-2013, 08:47 AM

Did a video that I now see isn't great.... but whatever, maybe it will help someone....

Old 06-15-2013, 10:24 AM

PS: lil bummed ...

My Addicted front bumper was supposed to be shipped on Monday,.... then Wednesday,.... Its Saturday, & I still haven't gotten a "shipped" notification.... I am NOT dissing Scotty.... I understand stuff happens. I just really was hoping to have the bumper painted, winch mounted and have the frame dupport plate welded on before the SAS begins this next Monday/Tuesday....

I really mention this as a reminder to those who are doing multiple projects at once... Don't get your hopes up on something that is out of your hands or plan to deeply on getting something done, which can also I mean that you have torn down several things in order to get prepared, if you don't have the actual product in your hands. I'm glad I called and emailed, because when I didn't see that it had shipped, and realized that I probably wasn't going to get a call or shipping verification through the weekend, I'd better hold off on removing my front bumper assembly in preparation for the installation of the addicted off road bumper...... You have to have turn signals both bumpers to drive on the streets/freeways in California. CHP do nottttt mess around when it comes to giving out multiple tickets! Hahaha

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-15-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:33 AM

I'm planning to remove the passenger door lock cylinder in an attempt to get the key code. That's pretty funny that when I looked into the body section of the FSM, it says, "With pliers, remove the retainer clip, remove lock cylinder"... Wow! I'm not sure if I can handle this! Actually it does say to disconnect the solenoid connector, but otherwise it sounds really simple.... Good grief I hope so!

I also noticed a section where it says that the striker for the door that is a mounted to the body is adjustable. Basically it shows a picture of someone unscrewing the screws from the striker mounting place and then smacking the striker with a hammer... .... It almost seems as though it's telling us to bend the striker hoop. I had no idea that those things could be adjusted I thought they were character sunk screw bolt style.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:34 AM

One last post:

it looks as though my read attaching that alternator ground has sold nothing in regards to the idle down a hot restart gremlins...
Old 06-15-2013, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That rear bumper looks sick! Hows the search for someone to do the SAS coming? (Sorry if I missed it in earlier posts, but I don't think it was mentioned)
Old 06-15-2013, 12:31 PM

ok dang on the gremlin

lock cyls are easy, can ya ask them how much for the gas door lock to be made like the others? just getting an idea for mine if the dealer or a lock smith would be better choice

the striker plate/Ubolt some vehicles Yurp adjustable some its via the plate being movable or the bolts going into a movable backing plate inside the panel and some its bend the U bolt a bit (never liked those)
Old 06-15-2013, 02:58 PM

Ohhhh yeahhhh! Can't tell you all how funny I find it when I get excited about the lil things........ But, after 8 years being able to start my rig with a couple toothpicks...... Its exciting to finally have a new lock cyl! ...... Now, I just have to have a locksmith stack up the shims in this new ign cyl to fit the key code that I got off the passenger door cyl.....

Here's what I just LOVVVVVVE about cocky parts counter guys with a know it all attitude....... THEY ARE OFTEN known to give completely innacurate info that causes me to do lots of work I never needed to do.....

And thus, the important info I gleaned today that I'd like to pass on to you all:

* There is a cut off point for a Toyota for anything they can find through your VIN number... I couldn't get a straight answer out of the guy as to exactly when but I believe it's somewhere around 95-96 (PU and T4R) and under and they have erased TONS of data under VIN #'s..... LIKE KEY CODES!..... AND SOOOOOOO..... They can no longer take your VIN number and order you a set of keys ,....kinda....

* Furthermore, everything but my family dependable parts guy told me about what I could get from the dealer or through the dealer was wrong. Actually it was partly true in that if I want to have an ign cylinder from Toyota cut to fit my key code, that can happen through the dealer... But none of it is done there, other than removing it from your car @ the jacked up dealer rate.... All they will do the dealer is pull your passenger side door lock cylinder and have a locksmith cut a set of keys to those codes, and then they will take the $160 ignition lock cylinder and have a locksmith reset the strikers to match that key code... Can you imagine what the final bill would be at Toyota?

* So, what it ended up doing was going down to a local dismantler that I know whom I know carries quality lock cylinders. I gave him a call and he just happened to have a 1st 4 runner/2nd gen pick up - ignition lock cylinder in stock... They are all done by this company in the US using manganese bronze strikers and pins( not sure if the terminology and I wasn't writing it down as he was explaining it to me, lol... I think that's what he said)....

The damage? ? ?.....

$45.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHA. ... I asked him how he could do that price and he said he sells them all day long and the reason that he's often out is because many businesses buy him out since this has become such a common problem during this decade. He would not give up his supplier to me so I can't help you with that... I'm not sure just anyone can buy them anyway from suppliers because they're much like a locksmith with a specific set of rules or laws?

Anyway, today is a good day!

Name:  20130615_153145.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  1.73 MB

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-15-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Chef - flurry of activity going on here, I enjoy your videos. Now you got me wondering about my hinge bushings...thanks a lot

So can you recap for us what is going on with your solid axle? As far as I can tell you were trying to find a welder who would let you be involved in the process.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:35 PM

Hey Corey, Cornhusker, Nick,...

I am purposely not sharing as of yet exactly what is going on with the SAS and when. But I will shortly. Trust me I'm not playing any games I have my reasons, and I promise from the bottom of my heart that it has nothing to do with superstition or anything of the sort.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:36 PM

I also wanted to add hey note 2 RB regarding holding on to the wheel for the door in order to get into the car... I 100 percent agree and quite a while back I went and grabbed myself one of these at the yard...

Name:  20130615_163053.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  2.13 MB

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread