86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the stud idea could work mark you'd have to drill out the hole on the hinge to fit the bigger size stud or drill an tap the body hole an use the next size up bolt the nut back there shuld have the meat on it to do it

welding it shut an retaping also possible but has side effects if hit too hot will warp the area causing alignment issues also paint an primer damage internal an surface

just some things to think about
Old 06-12-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I think if I do a timesert, I will definitely try to stick with the intended bolt and lock washer method. I have many extra bolts from the yards and having grabbed extra homes and such.

I doubt I have to drill out the hinge carrier hole even if I go with a one size bigger stud/bolt.... it's intentionally oversized for the purpose of being more adjustable.

Either way the fender has to come off.... Grrr! Lol. .. Its ok, I just always get concerned with the possibility of even more threads getting stripped.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 AM

Ooops, double post
Old 06-12-2013, 06:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I think if I do a timesert, I will definitely try to stick with the intended bolt and lock washer method. I have many extra bolts from the yards and having grabbed extra homes and such.

I doubt I have to drill out the hinge carrier hole even if I go with a one size bigger stud/bolt.... it's intentionally oversized for the purpose of being more adjustable.

Either way the fender has to come off.... Grrr! Lol. .. Its ok, I just always get concerned with the possibility of even more threads getting stripped.
Would some anti seize on the fender bolts/nuts, barring none of them strip when removed help from possible stripping in the future if needed to be removed, or not a good idea?
Just throwing that out there.

Last edited by ksti; 06-12-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by ksti
Would some anti seize on the fender bolts/nuts, barring none of them strip when removed help from possible stripping in the future if needed to be removed, or not a good idea?
Just throwing that out there.
as everything ive put together on mine got antiseize its good for future work keeping them from locking up via rust or torque but it wont protect against stripping from over tightening
Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 PM

Ordered the timesert kit from Napa.....

M8 x 1.25 Stainless ...... Should be Fun. One other is on the verge of the same thing..... So I might just do that one as well when I put in the new hinge. Can't wait for my door to close level/plum!

Still gottsta pull the passenger door lock cylinder to get the key code.... Gonna hot the FSM up and see how exactly it comes out.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM

easy peasy remove the door panel un-clip the connecting rod(s) to the lock pull the spring clip off the lock (may need a pair of pliers) an it will nearly fall out of the door
Old 06-13-2013, 11:57 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Chef,
Pull your lower kick panel under the dash and look for the back of the lower hinge, the top will be made the same way. IIRC, it is a thick plate spot welded to the A-pillar and then tapped. If that is the case tap that hole one size larger and forget about it.

Just sayin...
People love to hang and lean on their doors and use them to pull themselves into and out of the truck(steering wheels also)..... don't ever do this. this is how hinges get messed up, I've seen it alot of this, steering wheels will develop play at the splines! Install handles when your rig gets to big for your britches.(not saying you did this chef...just saying)
Old 06-13-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just catching up here, that bumper looks awesome.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the idea RB! I will look into that...

Thanks, dragon,... that takes some of the edge off......

Whats up Junk? Thanks man... I really like it.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:59 PM

Well, for some freaking reason everytime I hit the main menu on my smartphone to jump from here, over to Photobucket and then jump back on here it starts me fresh on the main page here again ... It has to be Yotatech. Overall it's been a pretty problems free site for me... But this happens quite often over the last year. Especially using the mobile app. I just do not have the patience trying figure this out right now I'm completely exhausted. I had the entire post written out and I did not hit the back button... It actually happened twice just now when trying to do something that I do everyday when posting on here. If anyone knows why it is doing this and doesn't mind telling me how to fix it I'd be grateful. Only thing I can think of is that what happened because the site updated itself? The only reason the post before that worked is because I didn't include any pictures.. In other words, I didn't need to go back and forth...

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-13-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:44 PM

Well, today I tore into as much as possible to prepare for the SAS....

But first, I'm sure by this picture you know this ground...

Name:  20130613_123141.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  2.21 MB

.....it comes out of the harness by the alternator and grounds to the top right bolt of the power steering pump mounting bracket... Why am I showing a picture of this? Because it has been hanging there for months... Completely unlike me to miss something like this but I did. The only reason I saw it at all was when I was removing the front axle, diff and CV axles, I saw it hang in there and I mediately knew what it was!..... I drove around a bit and restarted the motor after sitting and fully warm around 5 times and I could not get it to idle down and act up... I have no clue if this was my gremlin on all along, but I highly doubt it.... We will see.

So let's just say that removing all of the stuff is pretty cake... But doing it very safely as to avoid any firm contact with the backside of the CV axles requires removing the studs from the inner axle outer end flanges.... Not my favorite part but with the tires removed it's not that difficult with the 28 inch breaker bar and a 17 millimeter socket.... So on with the pictures...

I got it up in the air, pulled the tires, and then I began to tear it down my first pulling the drive shaft...

Name:  20130613_142149.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  2.39 MB

I think pulled the previously mentioned 6 17 millimeter nuts on each side but not pulling the nuts all the way off... Then took my 28 inch breaker bar and 17 millimeter socket and cracked it a few times, holding the portion of the flange next to that with my vice grips to prevent the CV axle from separating from the outer drive axle flange... I then dropped the diff with the axle tube very carefully after draining it......

Name:  20130613_154655.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  2.21 MB

The CV axles also require to drop the lower ball joint and lower shock hoop , which was a little bit of a pain in the butt.... But, it all went back together fine after getting them out very clear of any dragging or scraping along anything... I want them to stay in pristine condition for Grego ...

Name:  20130613_154703.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  1.85 MB

I took a shot of the rotors and they are wearing very nicely. I will be selling these as well... Not the calipers, but definitely the rotors and independent front suspension spindles, axle hubs with newer Koyo bearings & races...

Name:  20130613_142210.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  2.34 MB

Laid it all out.....(cv's are in my storage room already in this pic).......

Part of what is for RAD....

Name:  20130613_181911.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  3.58 MB

Most of what I pulled, minus the CV's.......

Name:  20130613_181741.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  2.99 MB

Then here she is, 2 leggin it till she goes SAS'sy on me. ... very soon! .....

Name:  20130613_181718.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  2.17 MB

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-13-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:06 AM

she looks rather um... exposed..

ruby have you lost weight?
why yes i have so nice of you to notice!
oh really what did you do?
oh ive gone an had surgery an gone 2 wheel drive
OH! MY! transfer case really do tell!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol never seen anyone purposly go from 4wd to 2wd.
I'm happy its gonna start soon. Its about freekin time Mark. This only means that we'll be able to go on that big bear offroad trip that we were talking about with toyotech sooner. Nice. I'm looking forward to seeing that truck of yours finished now.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now its a Pre4Runner...

or a 4PreRunner...I guess?

You get the point

Can't wait to see this SAS done!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Well, for some freaking reason everytime I hit the main menu on my smartphone to jump from here, over to Photobucket and then jump back on here it starts me fresh on the main page here again ... It has to be Yotatech. Overall it's been a pretty problems free site for me... But this happens quite often over the last year. Especially using the mobile app. I just do not have the patience trying figure this out right now I'm completely exhausted. I had the entire post written out and I did not hit the back button... It actually happened twice just now when trying to do something that I do everyday when posting on here. If anyone knows why it is doing this and doesn't mind telling me how to fix it I'd be grateful. Only thing I can think of is that what happened because the site updated itself? The only reason the post before that worked is because I didn't include any pictures.. In other words, I didn't need to go back and forth...
I have a similar problem from my computer when I jumping back and forth or reading/writing a long post... I think the site is "timing out" and/or the web link is resetting which takes you back to the sign in [main page]... what I do is always copy my post if I'm in doubt and that way if I have to log in again I just paste my post and not have to type it all in again... IDK why it does this could be some technical bandwidth saving issue or something who knows...
Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

In the name of decency Mark put her skid plate back on!... a lady should not be displaying her charms in such ways... she is not some cheap $2 border cantina floozie...
Old 06-14-2013, 08:55 AM

Hahaha, I love to laugh. ... amd well, not having had a lot of friends to hang out with over the last few years, its just become a little less laughing & a lot more work? Hehehe.... I appreciate a good laugh once in awhile.. And by once in awhile I mean every couple hours! Lol. I'm serious guys, I love laughter and find it to be such an important part of my life. Along with that I love mysteries and puzzles and the ability to be creative in an artistic or landscaping type adventure... and boy if I had my share of mysteries & puzzles with this truck! Haha.

Paul, .... I have no idea what is causing it but I noticed something last night after I posted my whining... On accident, once in awhile, instead of hitting The Return key on my smartphone, I will accidentally double tap my phones back / return key. As many of you have probably noticed that the race is your entire post... Yeah, good times, good times... Lol. For some reason or another, after opening Yotatech when jumping back and forth from Photobucket... I was on the site and for some reason hit my phones back / return key( just to be clear I do mean that it's not the one that is part of the mobile app for the site)..... When I did so, suddenly my entire post from a couple times before that appeared again... I finished doing my post by simply going back and forth from photobucket to here... , noticing each time that this site would open from scratch..., but then I could just hit my phones back / return key and voilą,... I was right back where I was. Another weird thing that I noticed is that it must have been doing it for quite a while on this site because whenever I stop using my phone for the night and sometimes often during the day, from any website but I don't need to bookmark or any of my regular apps that I use like this or Photobucket... I hit the back / return key on my phone until the act is completely closed out and I've cleared that previous cache. I just find it easier than going to the menu and blah blah blah... This last time I went to do that, after making my most recent post, ..... About 15 different pages from the site closed as I hit return each time. I think something is definitely wrong with this app. Its not a big pain in the butt, so maybe I could just let you know, now, Paul? Maybe this way you could just call it my reporting of a glitch? Hahahaha..
Old 06-14-2013, 09:16 AM

By the way, Paul, as you can clearly see and I doubt have to work too hard to figure out... I am not even intermediate level in the realm of computer programming for understanding of software applications... But I'm learning. I don't really want to learn but I seem to be forced once a month to learn some crap that I didn't care about. Haha. .. It all interest me I just don't have the time or mental capacity to store any more information at the moment, heehee.

What I notice or have a feeling about is that this glitch, especially considering you are having this issue from your PC, might just have something to do with the websites "Launch" pattern or software? It seems like it's morning to launch fresh everytime I open it from my mobile app... It sounds like it's doing the same thing from your PC? Maybe I'm misunderstanding... I've had some weird problems with Firefox lately as well... I can't open the homepage lightning fast as usual... I can type out whatever I want and the search browser the center of the homepage does nothing! I hit return, nothing! It will not open... so I flip over to Google Chrome and "she bangs, she bangs! " Hehe. .... member him, anyone? Geeesh.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I remember Ricky... was'nt a bad song really and some of the others on that album were cool dance tunes... lol...
I'll refer your difficulties to the techies... I seem to recall they mentioned my issue was related to 'oogle timing out and resetting the connection...
happy to make you smile bro. I likes a good laugh meself...

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread