86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chef, you have one nice clean looking 4Runner. Great work bro. Love how tight to the body all your armour turned out.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
well that is just an awesomely sexy bit of bumper an it does look dang good hammered with the sliders
A+
Grateful, Will! Thanx. The grill guard is hammered black as well. As will, as well, be the Addicted Offroad front bumper.

Originally Posted by diableri
Looks great Chef!
Woot! A bounce feedback is good to hear! Hehe

Originally Posted by rworegon
Nice Chef!
Thanx RW! GLAD TO HEAR FROM YA! ! Hope you're well.

Originally Posted by Teuf
Mark get some good tac's in there that are accessible to a cutting wheel later on if you need to remove it.
HEY TEUF! Thanks for stopping in!

Yep, thats the plan..... few tacks along the bottom end, especially avoiding having to gouge the frame if it had to come out at some point.

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
Bumper looks great with the sliders on the side. It all matches! Just need a front one too!! If I ever did go tube, that rear bumper would have been my 1st pick!!
Thanks Toyo, and I hear ya.... You have the ones I wanted originally.... But this one grew on me... And at least I can tow with this tube style, right?

And? ......Scotty's/Addicted front bumper SHIPS TO ME ON MONDAY! WOOOOOOT! Can't wait to get that done as well.

Originally Posted by Red Wagon
Chef, you have one nice clean looking 4Runner. Great work bro. Love how tight to the body all your armour turned out.
Thanks man! Very appreciative of the compliment.

I love how tight it is as well..... and I purposely did the sliders not as protruding so 1. I dont get carnage between the frame and pinch weld/on the pinch weld, and 2. For less obstruction.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Grateful, Will! Thanx. The grill guard is hammered black as well. As will, as well, be the Addicted Offroad front bumper.
are ya gona put the grill guard onto the addicted OR? or will it even fit
Old 06-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Hey Will. No,... The grill guard is pretty much sold.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 246 Likes on 184 Posts
Yup dang, looks wonderful can't wait to see it done between looking at your armor and your food pics I'm hungry and wanting to sas my rig

Have you planned on where your going to take some flex pics?
Old 06-09-2013, 03:16 PM

Hey Will. No,... The grill guard is pretty much sold.
i was wonderin well look forward to seeing the new bumper on her
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper looks great Mark... really like that subtle hammered finish look... had visions of it turning out like those crazy over done silver gray "black" finishes...

That Samba Steakhouse joint looks like a real wild happenin' place... is the floor show an every night deal or just weekends? ...puts me in the mood for a mojito...

Be careful working around the truck dude one of these days a "little accident" is going to see you pinned under something 'specially since you work alone so much... you should arrange for a buddy to check on you once in awhile by phone or something so they can send help if you don't respond...
Old 06-10-2013, 11:58 AM

Some more daylight pix. ...

Name:  20130610_125205.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  2.85 MB

Name:  20130610_104846.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  2.92 MB
Old 06-10-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now you need new mud flaps to complete the brand new truck look.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:59 PM

Broke 100 miles on the new full regear/diff rebuild! Woot! Freeway miles now safer......

Name:  20130610_130456.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  2.39 MB

Gotta say, these G2's are silent!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 PM

The color turned out great! I'm going to be looking for a similar finish with more bronze for mine I think. Really nice job Chef!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 PM

Thanks Diableri! I really like it..... but u have to use it and see it in person.... it definitely has a bit of gold/bronze in it.... I think thats why it blends with the gold stripes ok. Yet I still think it would look decent with the gunmetal stripes like some have......
Old 06-11-2013, 07:00 PM

Well, I hung a donor upper driver side door hinge on today and it's a little tighter but the bottom one is still shot so I ordered a new lower complete hinge from JC Whitney. I know in the end I will probably end up grabbing a factory one for 70 bucks, yuck! Hahahahaha... But for now this should work for at least the next several years, and from what a buddy told me, who has the same ones, they are solid, and he hasn't had a problem in 10 years.

**** I'm kind of bummed though because on the body, where the hinge bolts to the chassis, one of the holes that is threaded is stripped out. .....

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;

I need some help on this as I am guessing I would have to you pull the fender and at least tap it out and probably time-sert it since I don't believe a helicoil would work since its not a blind hole... I just wondered if anybody knew a walk in type of place that I could grab the proper time SERT. I'm really pissed because I know that you usually end up having to buy an entire kit. I might just ask the guys who are SAS' n her if they wouldn't mind doing a tap and timesert for me. As a matter of fact I might just ask if they will let me do it while its on the rack.

The hinge will be here in a couple days and I actually thought about just doing a self tapper... But the problem is that these body threads are usually fixed nuts on a pinch wild type situation... Yes, this is a door so I'm sure it is very reinforced... But I can't be certain that this job isn't a total nightmare without looking into it a little more. I know Terry is taking off for his summer camp training for the National Guard for several weeks, so I don't think I will bother him with this..... But if anybody has any idea of a thread where this is already been done?

I told you guys, if something ridiculously rare is going to happen to someone... The law firm of Murphy and Murphy is going to make darn sure that I am subpoenaed for the job! Lol ...stupid bolt thread! Grrrrr

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-11-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:31 PM

boss i dont know about the threaded inserts i havent had this specific issue BUT in the repairs ive had we had to cut off an weld on new nuts for bolts that were either stripped or bolts were flat frozen in them unable to get them out even after drilling them hollow

i would say best plan to drill it out to fit a nutsert of the correct size maybe with a longer depth you can then use a longer bolt in that hole itll crush down on the factory nut which is stripped

drilling it out you might break the welds an drop it out of the way that would be best then the nutsert can crush on the body metal an get a good fit with a proper bolt

the sert will stand off a bit proud you'll have to find washers/shims to fit so the hinge isnt wracked outa shape making it bind you should have enough adjustment on the door to make up for the washers&sert thickness

im sorry im not more help
Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 PM

Broke 100 miles on the new full regear/diff rebuild! Woot! Freeway miles now safer......

Gotta say, these G2's are silent!
260k and the body on that thing still looks that good!? Oh wait your in California. You guys have no idea how good you have it with all those rust free vehicles and parts.

Great job on everything thus far also I have looked through a lot of this thread and can't wait to see how it turns out!

Last edited by tundup93; 06-11-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:14 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Chef,
With regards to the door hinge nut that is stripped(if I read correctly). Why not weld the hole closed, fill it with a slug(old bolt) and weld it up?
Then drill and tap it...should be good as new.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The armor looks amazing. Im loving the look of your runner even more.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RBX
Chef,
With regards to the door hinge nut that is stripped(if I read correctly). Why not weld the hole closed, fill it with a slug(old bolt) and weld it up?
Then drill and tap it...should be good as new.
^X2, That's exactly what I would do.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:37 AM

Thanks a lot for the compliment guys... I'm glad I chose what I did regardless but it always feels good to get confirmation that it doesn't look lame! either way, I know its not the style or look or practical application for everyone... But it will serve me well I'm sure!

RB, I was actually thinking of getting a stud to bite in there and then even though its not a great grip on the threads , weld the stud in place . Or, tap it out a little larger and slide a tiny bit bigger stud in place... Loctite red and call it Susie. The eyes on the mounting plate of the hinge are large enough but they allow for quite a bit of movement of the hinge... So I figured if I went a little bit bigger on the stud it couldn't hurt too bad? But then again, the real problem is weather this is a threaded plate inside the fender wall or weather is simply a fixed not on the outside of two plates of metal pinched together. Either way I want it to be in the same exact location so I see what your saying as well about the bolt. I wish I could get in there from the other side and I would simply thread a bolt through the back side and use a nut on the outside. But alas life is not always that simple. After watching you do such great work including welding and innovative ideas... I feel like a dork getting hung up on something like this! Lol. Thanks for the idea!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 AM

sorry, will, I just saw your message and I like all these ideas... Thank you

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread