86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyber, why don't you send some dirt cheap sr5 wheel deals here to VA. gosh I see the rims bring 150 with no tires all the time:/ and I check craigslist about every 2 hours with my phone app

Mark, tis a nice shiny header wish i wasn't spending money on the timing chain and HG I'd prob snag it up.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i see them occasionally but they're always 2-3 hrs drive one way away
had a set of the tri spokes much closer but they wanted obnoxious money for them an they were in bad shape
Old 06-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Pasta looked tasty though I'm not much for broccoli in pasta myself...
must remember to pm you about the recipe for that san ? tip steak from about 10 pages ago lol... it looked yummy...

Don't know Adam/trailgear... just that wrap around unit you have looked very similar to a TJM aussie spec bumper... I think basic black is the way to go for a rear bumper easy to touch up if needed... one of those euro/jdm spec rear fog lights might be a cool touch too...
Old 06-06-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Chef, just got back from Australia and found out that ARB snorkles are not cheaper down there.

What I did see where some awesome home made jobs using stainless exhaust. I think I remember you mentioning that you'd like a snorkle.

Where are you getting a 3RZ from?

Are you planning on buying a donor vehicle to strip to get some money back?

Happy selling for what you have now. Nice to get something back for sure.

Also, happy to read about recycling cats. I've got two in those wrecks.

I would have just thrown them out.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 06-06-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey dudes, I had for response typed out of course, yet again, full deletion! Grrrrr!

No clue on where I would get the 3RZ but I have my ways of finding good deals on occasion.

I am interested in the snorkels but not ready to do that just yet... Once again, seeing that the 3 RZ might call for different placement... I will hold off on that.

Those are very cool looking though, thank you for sharing that.

Paul, its funny how 1 dissenter from the general consensus can cause butterflies in the stomach so easily! Lol.... I'm still pretty set on hammered black,... And it's very easy to touch up as I can use a brush and it would never be noticed. Its also easier friend as I can use spray on most of it and then anything I miss I can touch up with the brush a week later. I don't know, I think it looks pretty good and most people when they see it in person end up liking it? As I said I am only going to bolt on for now so it would be easy to just rip it off and hit it would Jasco and wallah, start over. Obviously I don't want to have to go through that... But I have no way of seeing what it's going to look like until it's on there. Then again, maybe it would be best to start out with black which I could easily then paint with hammered black over it? I just don't want to have to primer it everything if I don't have to , you know what I mean?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 PM

Just an insane day.... 5am through to 9pm.... But stopped at 11am or so for about an hour to do something I was dreading but had to get done..... At some point, how things are looking, I'm going to have to get the entire kit and kaboodle to somewhere or another.... But, one problem,...... The fully assembled axle was in the CRV.... So I pulled down the driveway to the street in the 4Runner and backed the CRV up to it. ... on the higher part....

Name:  20130606_121606.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  2.94 MB

Name:  20130606_121614.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  1.83 MB

Holy crap that thing is heavy !!!!! ... Tore my right bicep pretty good, but got it in! I laid out 3/4 wood 3x5 piece and lifted and dragged until I got it in and strapped it to the roll bar.

I have a couple of boxes to load and I'm ready to have it SAS'd... Still not sure who's helping me with that. .... But it's gonna happen soon.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-06-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:11 AM

Nice axle, what paint did you use/was used on it?

Hope to see lots of photos as usual during the process. .
Old 06-07-2013, 08:59 AM

Heyyyyohhhhh! Lol. .. Sup bud? Well, it was painted, but pretty scratched..... So went over it with Rustoleum Utility paint.... dries so fast and have pretty decent luck with it on application.... less runs as long as I keep moving and don't go too heavy each coat.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:51 AM

Trying to get the rear bumper painted, but June-Gloom has stopped me for 2 days in a row...

I really wanna get it painted and hung and done with before the front bumper gets here. Grrrrrr..... never enoughtime or the right weather..... dang Murphy is trying to harass me again!

If it clears up I will be trying to get it coated today.....

Meanwhile, I'm pulling the front axle and cv's this weekend, if time allows.

Then, I'm going to try to get to the trans..... But since my time is so seemingly limited... I might just go ahead and have the donor looked over and re-syncro'd and maybe bearings(can occasionally hear that worn bearing noise even when sitting still, right under my seat area, especially when wheeling for a bit.... like ball bearings being washed in oil in a tight area rock polishing cylinder).... if some have clearance issues... I might reseal the donor tcase and use that as well... but I know mine has low use, compared to some, maybe the donor?.....who knows... Although, the donor seems to shift very smoothly, and it did in the rig I snagged it from as well... I know my trans now is toast on 2nd/4th gear syncro portion.... and it went dry once.... So it cant be without. Some decent carnage, lol. ... If I use the donor, I will swap over the marlin shifter socket kit and then have the rest gone over and call it Susie.. I could simply try to swap them for now.... Yrtn while its not a TERRIBLE job.... its time consuming, so if I slapped the donor in and it was not much better..... eeeks! That'd been a lot of spare time I dont have, lost, ya KWIMean?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Know what you mean about the "June Gloom" been chilly and gray here the last few days and plain chilly all week besides but I'll take that over a 37 humidex like we had last week any time... unless I'm with a lady I hate when it gets hot and wet...

Axle looks good ... shoulda maybe painted that skid plate on the pumpkin bright red to through a splash of colour down there... you going to "Toyota" red the brake calipers?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Come on up Chef, 107 tomorrow here!

Things look ready to rock and roll bud. Hopefully the rest of the puzzle will fall together here for you soon. Thinking good thoughts at ya. Can't wait to see her come the rest of the way together!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:17 AM

Hey Paul! I was getting lonely over here, hahaha.. thanx for stopping in!

Well, I could always paint things like the SKYS diff armor, later... but I'm liking the alumicolor caliper paint on the calipers.... I think it looks shnazzy. I think the all black blends well down there and might go hammered black on the SKYS diff armor....? The knuckes and axle hubs are hammered black, but at this point, to be honest,....I just dont really care about that stuff, ....I just want to get her on the road!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:21 AM

Hello, Diableri......

100*F + ??? U in AZ?

Thats too hot to paint unless I can use a shade tree at ur place? Haha.... My pops is in Havasu, gets to 120*F there, + or - .

I cant wait either! C'monnnnnnnnnn!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hello, Diableri......

100*F + ??? U in AZ?

Thats too hot to paint unless I can use a shade tree at ur place? Haha.... My pops is in Havasu, gets to 120*F there, + or - .

I cant wait either! C'monnnnnnnnnn!
Just Bakersfield, or Bako as people that don't realize we live in an oven tend to nickname us when they drive through. No shade, we get used to it. There's two temps here, nice and hot.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 AM

gorgeous axle mark wow that steering bar looks like it'd be on a mack truck much awesomeness
take some pain meds go relax soak the damage
Old 06-07-2013, 01:12 PM

Well...........

Hammered Black it is! ..... very happy how it came out. ......

Name:  20130607_140430.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  2.52 MB

Name:  20130607_140507.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  2.06 MB

Name:  20130607_140545.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  1.25 MB

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-07-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:28 PM

looks awesome and it ties in with the sliders an eventually the front bumper as well
Old 06-07-2013, 01:35 PM

Damn good job on the painting Mark. Wow. I'm gonna cooy uou amd use that color! Nah jk ha.

So when do you mount it? You can still mount it with bolts right? At least sport it on the truck until u can get somebody to weld it.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:46 PM

Thanx a bunch guys! I like doing this because I think its pretty unique. I can't recall ever seeing that color scheme... And eventually when I do the stripes like Toyota has in a gray color... I think it will look really nice!

Richard has seen how this stuff is held up on my sliders and I have scraped them and stood and trampled on them many times... No carnage and no damage even from my shoes. It always wipe clean really easily. The funny thing is that I do a pretty decent job with spring on paint and yet it has an even less hammer texture than. The sliders, which I did with a paintbrush. I'm actually kind of happy about it and glad that it came out a little bit more smooth... But it does definitely have the dimpled texture to it... Just not as much as it came out on the sliders or push bar.

Hey Richard, yep, you can hang it up and as a matter of fact it is probably better to do so in order to get an idea of what kind of shims I will need. At that point I will use steel plate and have that welded to the mounting brackets, then slide it in and weld it inside the frame. I will be doing some reinforcing as well... But for now, it will definitely hold up if hit from behind being bolted.

By the way, Richard,... You can use whatever you want that I have done and I would only be honored... I'm sure you're sticking with black because your truck is already this color... But I don't think it would look bad at all. It just would be too much gray maybe? I'm going to eventually paint my armor with a brush in hammered black... I think it will look good and will barely stand out as different and just kind of reveal where the armor is... This stuff comes clean really easily as well.

Most definitely will be doing the front bumper this color is well, and I think it will look great against the Smittybilt winch and possibly the outlaw two wheels. If I do keep these 3500 on the Baja wheels I will be painting them hammer black as well... I think the black might just be too much black with everything else hammered black... When you clean up the wheels and tires and everything is black... It kind of just screws with my OCD! Hahaha

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-07-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:25 PM

Well, as I was walking in the garage with the bumper, holding it from underneath, around chest high, I slipped on the anti-fatigue foam and went down to my knees and then leaned back, managing to not damage any y hing on the bumper but the end plugs.... But, I strained my wrists pretty well. .... I'm ok, but just a bit sore, especially as I was already pretty sore from transfering the axle to my rig......

I'm just totally grateful I didn't brake anything by going down with a 80# bumper!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread