86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool bumper mark.. I always liked the look of those wrap around tubes...
Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Hey Mark! You said that Gear Oil you bought is for break-in purposes? So after ~500 miles you drain it out and fill it with something new? Looking forward to it all, best of luck to you!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Sorry to hear the welding is going to be a hold up. Something will work out. Looks like a steal on the wheels and tires and the bumper looks great as well. I have about a 50/50 chance on Craigslist. It doesnt always work out but I am still glad it is out there and is great when it does work. Your truck is going to have some major transformations here soon. Keep hanging in there and something will work for you soon.
Yeah, .... I'm sorry too... , but that can't be allowed to turn into being depressed.... IT WILL get done! Its just hard for me to get entire weekends back to back.......so I'm not sure I will find a local LA'ite to help me that would allow me to take part in the process... That is the hardest to stomach part of this. I suppose I could get a decent welder and plasma cutter.... and then take my time doing it myself... but I really dont think I can keep the truck down that long and it would cost me nearly the same to buy all the tools and equipment necessary that it would to have it professionally done... And its fun!--> but its lost work hours, which also has to be considered, plain and simple... ajust like choosing certain fabricators/etc, over others, has to be considered as well... Because sometimes the difference is almost 80 dollars in gas. Then there is considering quality... I just simply felt using your masters for a few things including gears was the wise way to go. So it was worth the little bit further drive. That's another example, the gears, as I would definitely like to do a set myself... Just not of this truck at this time... I have two more 8 inch third members... Maybe down the road I'll give it a try, but I honestly would rather focus on what's next in the distant future... That would be the motor swap and dual cases. The dual cases will likely be sooner. Lol. .. Can't stomach pulling a perfectly good and fairly powerful 22RE, just for the heck of it! Lol... However, it would be put to good use by somebody just like the rest of my stuff is going to be.

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
yep that stock bumper isnt anything like what ive got. I do need to get some rubber an make a new mud flap across the back and some curtains for the front keep the mud an ect out of my engine, cept when i want it there! lol

only in cali so many awesome trees my white walnut i had to prune off a bunch of dead branches this year it hasnt gained much in height or size in 3 years bout the only trees that are growing well are seedlings of the 6 huge elms one has taken up residence in my bulbs another shoved a sensations maple out of its spot an killed it lol
Yep, just wanted to share that with you on the bumper mounting so that you can get a really good look. Never know, you may find a really clean want to decide to go with that on your next project! Hahahahaha. I know, I know,... You just want to get this one of the road and the trails! Lol. ..

Yeah, I'm very grateful for the trees and all the fruit they produce. I will get some video of the other three quarters where the trees are located just for the heck of it... People send you enjoy that stuff and I surely do enjoy sharing it! Out front alone there are three types of cherries, two types of pairs, nectarines and peaches, oranges and pomegranates, and even a Pakistani strawberry guava tree! It looks like that one is going to have to come out unfortunately. It is pulling up and looks like it is cracking my neighbors fence, which is a high end block fence , not some cheap picket wood.

Originally Posted by aviator
cool bumper mark.. I always liked the look of those wrap around tubes...
Do you mean you like the look of Adams bumpers? Or just the trail gear style in general? I was surprised how heavy this thing is and how totally different it is from many of the other tube bumpers for the rear. yes, having dual tubes and those gnarly d'link sections on the ends of the mounting arms toward the outside... It will definitely bring me down a little bit in the rear... But its not like to say is going to get crushed during a scrape here and there, right? Lol. I'm really excited about getting that, but to be honest, I'm still nervous about painting is hammered black. The only reason is because I want to paint it it's painted it. And, I don't want to be spending money every couple weeks choosing a different color. I think it looks good on the sliders and the grill guard, but both of those are some what incognito... Especially up front where the grill guard gets somewhat lost in a sea of Chrome and such.... the sliders simply blending into the sides... Oh screw it I'm going to try it out! Lol I'm tired of thinking about it too much and I enjoy trying something a little different. Maybe I can simply bolted on for now so that if I didn't like it I could easily remove it and have it repainted or powder coated?

Originally Posted by StewsRunner
Hey Mark! You said that Gear Oil you bought is for break-in purposes? So after ~500 miles you drain it out and fill it with something new? Looking forward to it all, best of luck to you!
Yes sir, that is the plan. You just have to take it easy for awhile, especially in relation to towing. I'm not trying anything at the moment but I do plan to in the not so distant future. That's a whole nother story and I just want to get them broken in for now. I would use my drive it today or tomorrow out to Corona as a portion of it, but I don't think I'll be wanting to go over 50 for a little while. So that's likely out of the question... I do not think I could handle people talking at me for 45 - 50 miles! Lol.... Not to mention that is below the barrier which makes it legal, literally, and subject to pulling over by our CHP officers, who would then proceed to give me a ticket for driving too slow in a 65 mile in our zone!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I eventually want to get a welder and do all kinds of welding on parts that I dont have to worry about safety unless you have welding experince that I dont know about. That is when I see someone doing a SAS that they realize what all is riding on their welds.

I posted some info about your heater issue on my 86 Runner build. Does the heater hoses on the firewall get uncomfortable/hot to touch? I have 2 spare AC condenser out in the shed and they both were dirty on both sides and I am suspecting alot of dirt has gotten to your heater core where the way it sits in the plastic box the dirt cant escape.

I know you did the 2nd Gen water valve upgrade, so I would suspect the Thermostat which you probably have already done. The only other thing I could think of would be your blower door. I would want it to be that before pulling the heater core. Alot of dust can get thru the AC condenser and just get stuck in the heater core. If the hoses are hot, your core is good, just that air cant flow thru the core itself. If your heater is functioning properly and on high heat, the air that comes out of it is actually a little uncomfortable on your hands after a few moments.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM

Ok, I know im gonna get flak for posting on this thread but my rig is currently over an hour away from me and I am in the process of ordering a custom basket for the front cabin roof and I cannot find my measurements for it. Can somebody with a First Gen Runner measure the roof size?? your help is greatly needed and appreciated!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:57 PM

I won't whine, lol.... But I can not look right now, sorry 1g...

But hey, anyone down for some Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken, carrots, broccoli, sweet onions and mushrooms? Oh yeah.... have some home baked french garlic'n'herb bread?.......

Name:  20130603_192920.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  2.26 MB
Old 06-03-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DUUuuuuude that looks deeelish!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 PM

Haha!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:36 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Bobby! Sup Man???

Thanx, that's very kind man! That helped me with a Pick me up that I can use right now. Appreciated.
Any time! I'm glad it helped, we have all been there before but keep on keepin on.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:43 PM

Well, up to 45 miles on the rear 4.88's she just got..... And heading back to pick up my axle in the AM.... They are fitting the timesert in the caliper mount for me and doing a steer stop bolt mod....and some resurfacing to make room for the Dirty 30's ..... Gears for the front are done as well, so I'm picking errrryting up! Lol.

At least its forward progress, right?

I was thinking of getting a huge bottle of JB WELD and sticking this all together.. .whatcha all think? Hehehee....
Old 06-03-2013, 11:45 PM

NAHHHH 2 part 5 min epoxy go for the quick install it'll be fine
Old 06-04-2013, 04:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just hold it together with a piece of gum... that should do the job
Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
NAHHHH 2 part 5 min epoxy go for the quick install it'll be fine
Originally Posted by Redeth005
Just hold it together with a piece of gum... that should do the job
Insert smart ass smiley here______! Lol
Old 06-04-2013, 08:27 PM

sorry i just prefer 2 part epoxy over JB weld 0:-) <-- innocent face
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM

Well, another crazy day with lots of driving and parts pick ups......

Axle fully ready, 100%........

*83 SFA with:

1. A full rebuild using Marlin crawler axle and knuckle kits/mixed with SKYS offroad design.... Includind much thicker half moon retainers.

2. SKYS Offroad truss and diff armor....

3. ARP Steering studs

4. Dirty 30's Made in USA

5. Diff stud delete (Thanks Jonny!)

6. TG felt and rubber combo delete/replacement (every expert I've spoken to LOVES these.... And, as Jonny said, "It looks like Trail Gear, in this case, beat everyone else to doing something right and being innovative".... As YotaMasters staff said....."Those are the RIGHT STUFF, just sweet!"..)

7. TG High steer....

8. FJ60 Vented Rotors....

9. 1.5" wheel spacers....

10. G2 - 4.88 Gears and Master install/Rebuild kit(same as rear)....

11. Spartan Locker....

Cleaned up the dials on the SFA Manual locking hubs of some overhanging/little intrusive paint and they are turning like butter now(Nothing wrong with them at all, Jonny,...... just freezing up due to the paint that ran over the edge of the dial and was contacting the ring).

Name:  20130604_151638.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  1.65 MB

HD - TG / Matsuga 10" splined/teflon coated/chromoly/ joint driveshaft Mod/kit.....

Name:  20130604_152343.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  2.17 MB

Name:  20130604_152505.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  2.13 MB

Stud delete bolts.....

Name:  20130604_152505.jpg
Size:  2.13 MB

Timeserted caliper hole.....

Name:  20130604_151533.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  1.95 MB

ARP Steering studs....

Name:  20130604_151410.jpg
Size:  2.28 MB

96-04 Tacoma diff flange and driveshaft end joint.....Second pic shows it's flexibility, but that isn't all the way actually... I just couldn't hold it up while I took the picture at that point ....

Name:  20130604_151249.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  2.24 MB

Name:  20130604_151259.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  2.22 MB

I also picked up a full transfer case and transmission gasket set that the guys out of that shop we're not going to need... And also picked up a heavy duty Marlin crawler transmission output shaft seal and a second transfer case heavy duty dual lip Marlin crawler seal....

Name:  20130604_151626.jpg
Size:  1.84 MB

Name:  20130604_215349.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  2.47 MB

That's it for now.... Like I told Richard,... "I feel like a kid with prom tickets with no date or ride!" Hahaha......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20130604_152505.jpg (2.13 MB, 43 views)

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-04-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:47 PM

dude you have a vouge fashion model as your date to the prom shes just runnin a bit late
Old 06-04-2013, 09:55 PM

I know you guys all are very mechanically inclined but you got it all wrong. All you need is some super glue and some duct and you can fix anything. Hell just super glue it all up in there and duct tape around it for that extra protection.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

Insert smart ass smiley here---> <^-^> <---! Lol
ahahaha see what I did there lol
Old 06-05-2013, 09:04 AM

<---- buahahaha! Lol. ...
Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Bubble gum this into place, Richard! ........ .......

Name:  20130604_140935.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  1.63 MB

Hahahaha.... JK, ..... hope it works for ya!

Yesterday, I picked up a master switch for Richard at Yotamasters! Wooot..... Thanx, Eric!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread