86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks good Mark. When is the new cam going in?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there is a guy on here that makes factory replacement dacals for a decent price, i think 80 for both sides
Old 09-16-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Looks good Mark. When is the new cam going in?
THANKS, Rob! .... The CAM?>>> Sunday, God willing and the Dam DON'T BREAK! LOL. I'm doing that, and if I have time, I'll be shown how to mount and relay and switch-ready my 8" Dick Cepek Halogens! Might be doing a Battery AFM swap soon as well. Might even have a connection on a Supra AFM. (OBVIOUSLY, tons of research on some of it is needed... but I can do anything I decide I want done, so HOPEFULLY SOON!(God willing and the wallet allowing! ahahaha)

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
there is a guy on here that makes factory replacement dacals for a decent price, i think 80 for both sides
Ok, thanks man! I'll look into that. I might be a while before painting, ....think it's still pretty clean(aside from the decals, hahaha)... but it's good to know I can probably find that on Yotatech... Thanks again.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
THANKS, Rob! .... The CAM?>>> Sunday, God willing and the Dam DON'T BREAK! LOL. I'm doing that, and if I have time, I'll be shown how to mount and relay and switch-ready my 8" Dick Cepek Halogens! Might be doing a Battery AFM swap soon as well. Might even have a connection on a Supra AFM. (OBVIOUSLY, tons of research on some of it is needed... but I can do anything I decide I want done, so HOPEFULLY SOON!(God willing and the wallet allowing! ahahaha)
Great man, Really looking forward to you getting the cam done & enjoying your new again engine. Wiring the lights in is really pretty easy, I could draw you a diagram if you need. Most important thing is to either solider & shrink wrap everything or use high quality electrical connectors. I like the weather proof ones with the built in heatshrink & glue. They are a little spendy but very nice & secure. Man, how did you find that Supra AFM???? I have been loking for one of those for a long time already & never even go close. Do you mind if I ask how much? You can PM me if you don't want to say out loud. I can keep a secret.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:52 PM

No secret, but it's a buddy, a collector of Supra's if you will, who races them, etc. He's not advertising, so I can't really help ya there. He said, "I'LL SEE if I still have the couple I KNOW I had lying around. We'll fix you up proper with some extra oomph for that set up you have!" .... We'll see, hahaha. The 'relocation' prospect is due to, well, SO MUCH MORE HEAT on that side. I will either make a box for it and shield it from the heat... or move it, reduce the path, etc. I've removed it, actually, for now, because it was getting SO FREAKN HOT, Rob! Almost too hot to touch, due to recycling engine bay heat on a motor that's just beginning to fully seat on the ring end, etc. With the stock one in, I DO notice a tiny bit less power and yet, it's WAY cooler. I like the plastic idea.... it's just a better resistor of heat. I figure, on the other side, it's GOT to be cooler, being a couple feet from the header, etc.

We'll see, as I said, hahaha. Thanks for the input on the switch, etc., and YES, I'll gladly take an idea or two on the best place/way to install them. I want a light bar/bumper guard, .... I just don't want to get rid of my bumper. I like the stock look.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:53 PM

PS> I've become pretty darn good at re-wiring/soldering/heat-shrinking, etc. I'd go that path. BTW, is it possible to pull the AFM wiring through the front of the body, etc., and pull it through the other side? I really don't wanna cut if I can avoid it. ??????????? I think it shares other wiring, related to 02 and ECU, right?... might HAVE to be cut.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-16-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
The wiring for the relay won't be bad at all. They typically have a diagram on the top of them. 2X on the connectors/shrink sleeve

Can't wait to see you get this cam in and have her up and running again. You said you went with the 261 right? I have the 268 and now I think I should have gone with the 261. I don't get that high in the rrrrrrr's.

The intake battery swap is not bad to do. I don't have a box yet I think I'm going to build some sort of snorkel for it (someday). For the battery cable I used and old aluminum entrance cable. Remember if you use aluminum you have to have a steel coupling of sort, the copper and aluminum don't play well together. I used a neutral bar from an old breaker box to join the 2 different types of wires.

Best of luck to ya!!!

Last edited by Lumpy; 09-17-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:32 AM

Hey Lumpy,

Thanks a lot, sir. I wonder if you could tell me about the 'AFM wiring'. Where do the wires feed through TO the AFM? Is it possible to pull back the wiring to the other side without cutting it? Etc......
Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 AM

This how I did mine...the wires for the coil and AFM run together. I took the 2 out of the plastic shielding and separated them and placed the coil wires back in the plastic shield. Taped it all up nicely.

As for the wiring for the AFM I taped it all together nicely and coiled it up on top of the fender to keep it out of the way.

If you look closely in the middle of the intake the wires are coming out then heading to the firewall and that's where they split. Follow the red zip ties. Under my dads hands is the connection for the power cable.

I'll try and get better pic's this weekend for you.

I didn't cut any of the wiring...

Old 09-17-2010, 08:17 AM

Cool, thanks brudda....

I'll be watching for more directions! hahaha. I have lots of heat shrink of all sizes, too... so I could do that up nicely where I have to pull things apart.

Not really related, but for the heck of it, I decided to ask my parts counter bud at Toyota.... "Hey, how much is that fusible link box behind the battery???" He answered, "Oh, yeah, they don't sell that, alone... it comes with the entire harness." hahahaha.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:18 AM

PS> that radiator hose is lookin pretty kinked, Lumpy! lol.... is it just my view? Oh yeah,....and what's that bulb type thing where the AC would go?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-17-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:27 AM

I know, I know...just a little kinky. It's on my list.

The ball thingy has something to do with the PAR valve and EGR stuff. There is the ball for a muffler I suppose, it used to run into the intake but I took that off a long time ago. Use to have a little filter there but it found a better place to live I guess so I just have a rag there for now.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:12 PM

UPDATE!!!!!!

THE 261 CAM IS IN! ........and...................

1. It PURRS compared to where I was at!

2. The massively jumpy timing (3-5 Degrees back and forth) is almost GONE!

3. It is dialed in to specs, broken in for 25 Minutes, oil drained, refilled and driven around for about an hour now.

All in all it seems to have solved 90% of my problem!!!!!!!! But I digress to say, THANK YOU, ANDY, SO MUCH, for helping me pull the rockers, inspect, insert new cam, re-install rockers assembly and head bolts, strapping it down to begin with..... ANDY, seriously, you're a great guy and I appreciate your help beyond what words could express! Not just this time, either... but every time you've helped! AGAIN, THANKS!!!!

Thanks, also, to EVERYONE who stopped by here and lent a thought or two, or 100(MATTHEW, AKA- THOOK!) HAHAHA. I will NOT be getting ahead of myself, especially until I can put some miles on it... but it is DEFINITELY running SO MUCH smoother, ...in fact, so much so that, IT HAS ME OVER ANALYZING! HAHAHA. Ya know what I mean?... "hearing every lil bump"... which is funny, cuz I could hardly hear ANYTHINGGGGGG any longer. It was REALLY running poorly, and while it might have gone on for another 20K without any MAJOR issues... it MIGHT NOT HAVE, as well, lol. I'm really glad I decided to not quit until it's at least 'REALLY TIGHT'.... I can live with that.... Not expecting perfection.. but GOSH that was annoying!

I have to serve dinner in 20 minutes and I PROMISE, I'm sorry that I didn't update this sooner! lol. When I have a few, later, I'll post a DETAILED 1.,2.,3., etc. on 'HOW TO SWAP A CAM WITHOUT REMOVING THE HEAD ON A 22RE'... ok? It really looks to have held, fine, and I'm praying it remains that way, regarding the head gasket.

Thanks, guys, ..... talk to you soon and I'll be sure to have some video!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats great news man, glad you got it going good again.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 AM

Sorry guys, I've REALLY been slammed, on top of having a guest from Oregon....

Had to stop in this Motel on the way..... TOO tired to go finding a setting up a site at 11pm, lol..........

The view from the room...........

Did a lil minor wheeling while looking for a day spot the first day...(both lower ball joints are pretty much history, sorry guys, lol)...

Got my favorite spot at Baker Creek, Sierras, just south of Keough Hot Springs(5 min)...

Unloaded SOME of the gear(i have TONS, lol)...

My view from the back of my Truck(my tent, lol)

The road to the site from 395Hwy....

Some more shots from the site surroundings....

Guy stopped by in his 27 Studebaker Sedan(for sale 6000$)

Wheeling down to the springs......(and the springs)

Unfortunately, leaving home..........

Owens dry lake and Dirty Sock Warm spring(it's DESTROYED, so ticked.... maybe they're draining it for repair.... but I doubt it...very sad)

My friend and I found a nice quiet girl....... she was too much for the both of us put together! lol.....

I have MANY more pics.... Photobucket had an error 30% into it.... so I'll get them up asap.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

looks like a great trip
Old 10-04-2010, 01:34 PM

More pics from the trip and before we left(of the property I live on)...

MORE PICS OF THE TRIP>>>>>>>>>>

Me, just chillax'n....

Our Section of Baker Creek, just 5 Feet from both sides of my Truck/Sleeping quarters.... so soothing!....

Our Camping Neighbors Pup, Half Aussie Sheppard-Half Healer I believe....REALLY funny dog, quite a beggar, ... The owner was an Employee(Chris) whom I promised not to mention the last name of, lol...

If you look at around 10o'clock center, I accidentally got a bat in the shot while at the Hot Springs at night....

Right outside my Tent, built a web over the creek to catch all them BASTAGE GNATS! LOL..

Tons of Blue Breasted Quail.... and yes, it was Hunting Season... lots of guys in the outskirts gettin some!....

Tons of Fish! .....

DANG I hate these Horse/Cattle Flies.... REALLY HURT, lol....

Lil 40* shower, BRRRRRRRRR! LOL....

Lil visitor, kept walking over my shoes.....

Heading home, first stopped at our old camping spot, Dirty Sock Warm Spring.... it was TERRIBLY neglected.... not sure if it'll ever be restored. It was a total oasis, with Stables, changing rooms, lights, fountains, in the 60's.... Has a great view of The tallest section of the Sierras, Mt. Whitney.... and if you can see just left of center, "Indian Profile Peak"(it's a face of an Indian, lying down on his back with his arms crossed over his chest...

Still heading home, around Red Rock Canyon, CA.....

Just a tiny patch of my MINT! YUMMO! >>>(some other stuff from my yard as well)...

The Cat we've adopted at my home, which has 3 legs due to a wreck....RUGGED LIL SURVIVOR, LOL....

That's it for my latest adventures....hope you enjoy the shots...

Mark

PS> Sorry for the delay, but my friend of 18yrs., whom I've not seen in 4, stopped by for the last couple weeks.... just haven't had time to jump online.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:51 AM

Looks like you had a great trip! I need to get out and do some camping soon, I've been swamped recently with all kinds of random stuff, but I definately need a vacation, lol. Unfortunately, nothing new to report on my lil blue runner either. But how ya been??
Old 10-21-2010, 09:55 AM

Been GREAT! Thanks, Moze! Sorry I didn't stop by... was really on a limited time schedule and I actually forgot to get your # before I left. I actually stopped at the Fastlane in Mojave and asked the clerk if she knew you! hahaha. She was a nice lady, mid 40's..

Anyway, thanks for asking, and YES, I REALLY enjoyed that trip!

Mark
Old 10-21-2010, 10:03 AM

Antenna is in and works.......... (If you listen to the videos, below, TURN DOWN SPEAKERS....SORRY! LOL)

Below is a series of pictures and video at the end. Hope it's helpful for anyone thinking of adding an aftermarket "Fully Automatic Power Antenna" from Metra.

The brand and model #, for anyone with a First Gen. 4Runner(Pick-ups are the same, no?) is in the pic below.....

Mounted and wired in......................

Found this "Remote Control" wire from the Aftermarket Radio Harness that worked for the "Switched Power"... Yours might work with the "Power Antenna" wire...but mine had "NO POWER", lol.......

Ran the "Constant Hot''(RED) straight to the Battery, cuz I needs schoolin on the "HOW TO" wire to the Auxiliary Fuse Panel in drivers side kick panel.....Ran it through the Harness entrance on the inner fender right to battery....

Price, 59$ + Tax(CA) and NOTHING extra was needed, other than a "Wire Connector" to put the "Constant Hot" to the battery. But, if you do it to the fuse block, you probably wont need a thing......

Here is a video or two, below, for those who have sound......

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-21-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread