gona be epic rubylicous
Old 05-23-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by junk4u
Man this is going to look sweet when it's done. Can't wait
Thanx man! Me neither!

Originally Posted by Ocell
Mark, you're building a monster!

I never thought to look for lockers at RockAuto! I'm considering a second Spartan for my truck, so I'll be looking there if I decide to pull the trigger.

You're going with the Addicted Offroad front bumper? (I haven't been able to keep up with the thread) That's great! I really love mine.

A monster, I tell you.
Wow, so stoked to see this enthusiasm! .....

1. Yep, Rock auto is fantastic for many things including having Advics rotors and pads made for Aisin, I got my blower motor resistor there for like $8 shipped and it works flawlessly and came within 24 hours... Extremely fast shipping an excellent customer service! I didn't mention any of this at first because I was a little leary of steering people away from Scotty or Brian or Marlin. .... I know how it is to run a small business and all the costs involved... In fact I know for a fact as a matter of fact... Hahahahaha.... I know that Jim, the owner of Downey off road, was pretty much I'm done by the web sites and giant sellers... Mostly just do just stuff that happened on pirate and such, at least according to what you told me. I always love dealing with him in the past and really enjoyed meeting him in person and picking up my product from his house, and especially I loved seeing all of his projects like is 52 Ford pick up and a couple of other things... But anyway, yes Rock auto is often the way to go if every dollar counts. Sometimes it makes more sense to just go to Marlin crawler or another site and get everything all at once shipped to you at a lesser price....

And yes, indeed, I did in fact go for Scotty's front bumper but with the to bend or squared stinger... I just wanted something a little bit different and I really love the look of his bumper. I love the 4 by innovations bumper and their innovative winch mount design... But I just didn't like the look as much and preferred Scotty's use of the winch carrier which seems to protect the winch chill a little more?

Since I will be putting in xrc8 competition series Smittybilt winch with synthetic rope and 12 foot remote,.... And brand new with that, I figured it would be best to have something that is going to protect it from debris falling up into it and such. I also will get a cover. I also had Scotty put two light mounts and also got 2d rings. It will definitely be part of the monster portion of the truck! Lol so will the rear bumper as that thing is a tank built piece of art! I love Adams work and how he tested everything out by rolling it down hills and so forth! Hahahahaha. All of these, including Adams sliders will be painted hammered black... I'm really excited about going with that different look and get tons of compliments on the sliders and how different they look. I have a buddy that powder cuts very reasonably but I figured I really do like the hammered look a little more than that polished look? It has a pearly look to it and its not quite grey and not quite black. The reason I plan to do this is because of entially when I paint my truck I am going to put stripes on some jeans Dean creations ones and gunmetal grey. This will match everything perfectly including the interior. I love the gold stripes and would prefer them if I stayed stock but considering this thing is going to be somewhat of a beast, I figured it would look cooler with everything matching. I might have a problem though... As far as putting my lights on Scotty's bumper. If they are made up to mount 7" lights, or smaller, and while he did say it would be close but it should fit, I'm starting to wonder if I should be prepared... So I'm going to be likely putting either LED Cree lights or HID... I'm going to do another post solely dedicated to that, and I would appreciate everyone's input very much! I found a couple vendors on fleabay that have really good ratings and have the ballasts and everything built into the housing on lights that are 7 inch and put up to 4600 Lumen out! They even come with a red outer ring and clear covers... They sell HID, xenon I think it was and multiple LED rectangular lights that average around 25 watch but put out close to 5000 lumen. I need to make that decision very soon so I would appreciate as I said a bunch of input! They also carry to rock like it with 12 or 25 Lights & a remote control! I'm very interested in that as well.

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Sweet man you're gonna be locked front and rear now! Wooo wooo wooooo noooice!

Btw Are you planning to have the 4.88's and lockers for both 3rds put together and ready by next weekend? I ask because were gonna need your 3rds to adjust the pinion angle so it points toward the transfercase. This way we can weld on your new spring perches at the correct angle.
Hopefully they will be ready, but if not it's not a huge deal as I can always mount some of the extra 3rd members I have. I'm doing everything I can to make sure it gets done in time I give you my word! just very crazy right now as of course something else just got dumped on my head... The fire department came by and apparently had already giving my mom a warning after giving her the initial flashing grass removal notice... For yesterday I had the weekend going what ended up being 2 55 gallon cans completely packed with weeds and flashing grass and overhang.
I have as of Saturday for 8 inch Toyota 3rd members, two of them being 85 or older but certainly able to work to get it moving... I have or will have 2 8 inch 410 third members, my 430 that has the locker in it now which will be rebuilt, and the 437 that is in the rear axle. I will update more soon as possible. Thanks for checking in Richard, please keep in touch with me
Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

And yes, indeed, I did in fact go for Scotty's front bumper but with the to bend or squared stinger... I just wanted something a little bit different and I really love the look of his bumper. I love the 4 by innovations bumper and their innovative winch mount design... But I just didn't like the look as much and preferred Scotty's use of the winch carrier which seems to protect the winch chill a little more?

Since I will be putting in xrc8 competition series Smittybilt winch with synthetic rope and 12 foot remote,.... And brand new with that, I figured it would be best to have something that is going to protect it from debris falling up into it and such.
I just put the same winch (non-comp) on the same bumper. It's a tight fit, and you won't be able to mount the control box on the winch without punching a hole in your grille. Here's my notes on the install I did: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52068688

I hear you on ordering from the small guys. I found the Spartan Locker on RockAuto for WAY cheap, though, and think I may grab it. I just ordered 4xInnovation sliders, so I'd like to think I'm still spreading the love around a bit.

I'm anxious to see how you get lights mounted on the Addicted bumper, too. I've been considering some lights and I'd like to see how you approach it.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:05 PM

Well I have another update, go figure! And no, its not a bad thing, but it sure to drive me nuts trying to figure it all out! The guy I got the gears from wind up getting ripped off and was one month back order... Excellent customer service displayed when he called me immediately to let me know he was ready to click the button and cancel my order since he knew that I was needing them quickly. So, through a deal I get I ordered both sets of 4.88's in G2 with master install kits and hopefully sometime next week they will be completed. 1 cool thing about 4 Wheel Parts is that they will deliver on most things very cheap and very quickly... I place my order this morning and I should be getting everything by the end of the day or tomorrow morning at the latest.

The Spartan is already shipped so I should be getting that by Tuesday at the latest... Either way even if I have to take that one locker to the installer later or do it myself after my SAS is complete that will be fine... Reason being, the rear is much easier to deal with than the front: regarding pulling it apart to get the axles free from the differential..... So I will definitely give him the Spartan I have to be put into the new 488 gears in the front that way I can install it and just go Limited in the rear until it arrives.

I did see that C... thanks for the reminder! Scotty told me that my 8 inch lights should fit but that it would be tight... I already have sourced a pair of 60 watt Cree LED 4900 lumen off road lights that are 7 inch... Or a pair of 55 watts 5000 lumen HID Xenon with internal ballast and everything included. Of course I would like the best light I can get but I'm trying to hold off on brand new unnecessary big expenses like that...... So hopefully they will fit. if not they will wind up as a hole lights on the back of my conferr or something , maybe on the front.... Its very interesting that we have to cut the grill, but I grabbed a spare at the yard not too long ago but I will not part with it... For just this probability. I doubt I would ever have to remove it but we will see. I will look at your thread because you just give me a rough estimate of how much you have to cut? I have all brand new Toyota mounting clips holding my grill on.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-23-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM

I just had to cut the bottom lip of the grille, it's not visible when it's on the truck. My grille only has about 3 clips left on it... so I'm pretty jealous.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:17 PM

Ahhhhh, excellent, cuz............

Name:  20130523_165425.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  2.26 MB
Old 05-23-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Woo! More parts!

It's funny, I'M actually excited for YOU! lol
Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
rock on more awesome partage
Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on the bumper you get. It maybe hard to use a cover. I know on my arb. It's impossible to have a cover lol. Winch is installed before bumper for extra sercurity
Old 05-23-2013, 06:23 PM

thanks Toyo,... I figured that might be the case but it was a package deal at 4 Wheel Parts where they pretty much gave me the cover . I know that o cell has the same bumper so I will ask him
Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 PM

Yeah, you may have trouble slipping that cover on there... but if your grille has all the clips, maybe it will sit tighter to the truck and you'll have a gap here.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang chef I'm jealous you're going to have one bad a## runner on your hands I'm hoping to do my SAS next year just looking at a dirty straight axle in my garage for now lol. I'm stoked for ya man keep up the good work.

Last edited by 2toys; 05-23-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2toys
Dang chef I'm jealous you're going to have one bad a## runner on your hands I'm hoping to do my SAS next year just looking at a dirty straight axle in my garage for now lol. I'm stoked for ya man keep up the good work.
Just gather stuff slowly bro. You can always buy a rebuild kit from marlin crawler and just rebuild the axle completely while you wait. Its nice to have all the parts ready once you start the project.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:16 PM

Hi Chef,

I just finished reading your entire thread here (it's been more than a week on and off). It's fantastic man as is your Runner. It's been great coming along on the ride with you and feeling awful as the problems kept cropping up and then really excited and even proud of you for sticking it out and getting things right each time.

I've learned a ton from you, Terry, Dragon, Red, Toyo, Avi and all the rest of the great folks around here over the last few months of reading things like these build threads and the many other general threads around. I really appreciate all the work you've put into the documentation and sharing of your experience.

I'm tuned in and anxiously awaiting your SAS! Best of luck!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ocell
Yeah, you may have trouble slipping that cover on there... but if your grille has all the clips, maybe it will sit tighter to the truck and you'll have a gap here.
Right on, C! Thanks for the info buddy! If it doesn't fit it doesn't fit, plain and simple... I didn't really lose anything getting it as it was a package deal they have right now. I actually paid nearly $100 less then I would have if I ordered it along with the front bumper... And that is no dig on anyone because its not like they are making a killer profit and half of it is shipping.. I'm just stoked to have it on here! Maybe I can trim it, the cover, just around the area where it is intruding into the grill. I'm certainly not going to set the bumper out further just to get the cover on! Hahahahaha. I also have the frame support coming... I sure hope my 8 inch lights fit, but if not that's okay I will find another use for them, sell them, or whatever. I've been looking into Cree LED off road lights but they are outrageous and priced to attract only big spenders! lol... Pretty awesome though to have a light that 60 watts and up to 10000 or more lumen! We saw a lot of them at Tierra del Sol and they are very much practical and useful... Especially on using less power. I found a company name Sunyee that I believe is owned out of Australia what ships from Hong Kong to anywhere else but Australia... They have very reasonable prices but when you get up and the high end and 7000 lumen lights and such they seem to be around $200 each. Its a helluva lot cheaper than 4 Wheel Parts I'll tell you what! Most of those are around $500 for the pair or more for rigid brand. anyway I will discuss that later in the next post!

Originally Posted by 2toys
Thanks man! But hey, just having it in your garage is a start buddy! Please please please come back here and slap a link down once you get started?

Just gather stuff slowly bro. You can always buy a rebuild kit from marlin crawler and just rebuild the axle completely while you wait. Its nice to have all the parts ready once you start the project.
No need to gather stuff slowly,.... I have pretty much everything I need and more and the next post will have a little update on that stuff. The axle is completely rebuilt, trussed, gusseted, and using Marlin crawler heavy duty rebuild kit with Japan bearings and eco seals and wipers and so on... Should be good to go for quite a while... The only problem is that I'm praying that I can have the gears done as soon as possible so that I can reassemble the front axle which is a lot more work then the rear in which you just unbolt for bolts, brake line and pull out, remove the gears and wallah! Lol. By the time you guys are here the only thing I should be waiting for is the front bumper... Maybe your pops would slap it on there for me if I come over with some grub? Lol... I have to get the winch on there as well, have it painted and so forth. I was going to powder coat it but now I'm pretty sure I'm going to do hammered black on all three. I just love the look of that stuff. plus it is so easy to touch up just using a paintbrush. Excited! Just wait for my next update... Pretty cool.

Originally Posted by diableri
Hi Chef,

I just finished reading your entire thread here (it's been more than a week on and off). It's fantastic man as is your Runner. It's been great coming along on the ride with you and feeling awful as the problems kept cropping up and then really excited and even proud of you for sticking it out and getting things right each time.

I've learned a ton from you, Terry, Dragon, Red, Toyo, Avi and all the rest of the great folks around here over the last few months of reading things like these build threads and the many other general threads around. I really appreciate all the work you've put into the documentation and sharing of your experience.

Man! ..... I'm not sure if I could explain how good that felt! It's also quite amazing, I don't think anyone is ever read this entire thread that has come on later in the game! Hahahahaha... You got some serious perseverance man!

I hope to one day clean up everything and make one big thread with some for the explanations and details helping other people figure some things out... I just haven't had any time, and I know that the length of this thread is often a cause for driving people away... So it feels really good to know that you enjoyed following along and catching up and then hopefully joining in from this point on in the fun and drama and crises and, and,... Well you got it! lol. Thanks again man that was a very nice compliment!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-24-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:33 PM

thank ya man, im just a poor ol'dragon in the boonies with a broken shoe string budget im glad i could help
Old 05-24-2013, 01:54 PM

Oh no Mark that comment was directed toward your friend Mr 2toys. since he said his axle is just collecting dust lol
Old 05-24-2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Man! ..... I'm not sure if I could explain how good that felt! It's also quite amazing, I don't think anyone is ever read this entire thread that has come on later in the game! Hahahahaha... You got some serious perseverance man!

I hope to one day clean up everything and make one big thread with some for the explanations and details helping other people figure some things out... I just haven't had any time, and I know that the length of this thread is often a cause for driving people away... So it feels really good to know that you enjoyed following along and catching up and then hopefully joining in from this point on in the fun and drama and crises and, and,... Well you got it! lol. Thanks again man that was a very nice compliment!
I'm glad that brought ya smile Chef. I just appreciate the chance to learn and the extra effort all of you folks put in to help each other out. I don't mind working and reading the threads, gives me something to do when I can't be wrenching since I do work a lot of hours (not complaining, lucky to have work).

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
thank ya man, im just a poor ol'dragon in the boonies with a broken shoe string budget im glad i could help
Thank YOU! Your build is on my list too Dragon. Looking forward to it, working on Red's (Jason?) right now since we've got the same base rigs. But yours is right after that!

Hope you guys have a great holiday and many thanks to all of you that have and continue to serve. I'll be workin all weekend again for a deadline but will be hoping that everyone has a good one.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:58 PM

Hi Chef,

Lol wow I tip my hat to you sir for you did the impossible. I tried to read through his thread but I'm an extremely slow reader. And i only made it to about 200 pages in then just stopped. Lol but I'll admit I've learned tons off these guys and filled my brain with loads of information thanks to you all. Off the bat more or less the same people you named

Diableri I'm just curious what exactly did you learn from me. I got everything I know off everyone else on this wonderful website. I mainly just copy ideas off everyone else hahaha.

Anyway thanks for pointing us out. glad I was able to help with some ideas for ya it makes me happy knowing I was able to give people some sort of inspiration to the few people such as yourself. Can't wait to see what kind of stuff you've got planned for your rig.

LET THE ADDICTION BEGIN!

Last edited by Redeth005; 05-24-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:37 PM

LET THE ADDICTION BEGIN!
ROCK ON

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread