86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 PM

Received 246 Likes on 184 Posts
This talk of another thread is preposterous chef!!! Keep it going this is your thread for your build , what would we do with 2 chef yota threads? Feel weird is what we would do
Old 05-14-2013, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Redeth005
Ooooo does that mwan we've got another SAS coming soon? Nice man. Looking forward to seeing those getting done. Your rig already looks sick so with am SAS awwwww *Drool*

Parts collection now. Not going to start it until I've got everything including the engine. I'll get my hands on a 2UZ somewhere.

Chef, I was really undecided on the Blazeland kit too but went with the leaf sprung SAS idea. Tough and simple with lots of access to parts still. Didn't hurt that I came across those axles pretty cheap.

IFS is awesome it just seems more expensive in the long run for something not as strong. It can be made as strong or very close to but I dont have $2500+ just for CV's.

Someone mentioned in my thread about adding a leaf to get extra weight capacity. I don't mind that idea. It's not often you get to go on really big weighted down road trips. Some work just before a bi-annual trip might not be so bad for me. Leave it out most of the time for normal DD, wheeling and weekend camping.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 05-14-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I would like to see a thread with all of your upgrades and repairs on yours. I have a few of them marked but not all of them. One of these days, I might go and copy some of your projects to one of my threads just so I can find it.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, the axle he's getting is pretty dang nice...wish I had it!
Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahaha! ..... classic!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 AM

I meant to post this the other day:

This is the one shipment I got on two pallets to my brothers docks, direct from the other guys dock, through UPS .....

Name:  20130511_131511.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  2.00 MB

The 80 axle was included with the gears I will be throwing in the rear for now another locker, as my 430 gears with Spartan locker in the rear will be going to the front in the axle that is coming from, quote, the other guy, end quote. Haha. the other actual that you see on the ground is an 85 and it already has a truss and knuckle gussets attached... I have already another full set of inner and outer axles, 8 inch 4.10's, and may keep as a spare. I will likely go, eventually, to chromoly, amongst several other things... For now, however, I will be good to go! I would like to get the 488 gears now from a guy who deals factory thirds from the yard... But then I would have to get to lockers and those two sets of gears... Even though the gears would be much cheaper to buy already assembled and just slap Spartan lockers in there... Having to buy to lockers and two 3rd members when I could just run the 437 gears you can see in the picture in the rear and add a Spartan locker to that would be a lot more frugal. I'm not 100 percent positive on this yet because in the end, I'm really not sure it would be the most horrible thing in the end... I mean I would end up with two 4 cylinder Spartan lockers but I can't use on factory V6 488 third members.... Maybe instead I could sell all of my third members I have, including the set of 4.30 s for i.f.s that I am running now which are locked in the rear already..... You know kama just put all that forward into the gears I would be running for good. I also will be running my 32 inch mud kings either until they are worn or until I find a killer deal on some 33's. I thought about running the guard dogs from: treadwright, I'm just not sure at this point. The point is that I have everything I need right now and on the tires that I have I can do 90 plus miles an hour, have very little trouble on hills, and as Richard can tell you, I don't struggle to badly off road, either.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Richard can tell you, I don't struggle to badly off road, either.
Nope not at all. You kept up with both my neighbours rigs who are both running 4.88s and Detroit lockers In the front amd rear. He kept up really good. No problems at all.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark I vote you just bite the bullet and get all new 4.88's or used factory 3rds with 4.88s. It'll be cheaper in the long run. It ain't worth buying another set of gears and also 2 4cyl lockers. It just isn't. Youre gonna buy that to just use temporarily and them you're gonna sell it when you upgrade. It just seems like a waste of money to me. I think you should just shoot for what you are really wanting vs spending all that extra cash to replace once again. Its gonna cost you at first but in the long run you won't be spending double the $$$ as if u were to get all this stuff for 4cly 3rds.

That's just my opinion.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 AM

Also some random, lol. ....

One I did for a restaurant in Scottsdale, thought I'd make it the other night....

Fresh mango and blood orange chutney based chicken penne, made with fresh ginger, tamari, zest, fresh garlic, onions, snow peas, carrots, red and green bell peppers, water chestnuts, scallions, bok choi, baby corn, Sriracha, cilantro, fresh pinapple and pineapple juice for base , Dash five spice blend, fresh toasted blend of coriander and tri-color peppercorn grounds, Gray sea salt, and call it "Explosions a flavor in your mouth!" HAHAHA. ...

Name:  20130513_200315.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  2.17 MB

Name:  20130513_200625.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  2.56 MB

Also, check out this work of art that popped up out of the ground!.....

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-15-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:30 AM

Hey Richard, thanks for the input buddy! You know kama I probably already would have but I cant get ahold of this guy that I know from the yard... He will probably give me the 2 rear v6 488 for around $100 to $125 each... I just can't get ahold of him kama because the couple days after I spoke to him it looks like he had to change his number because that lady is answering and telling me in Spanish that she just got this number and people are calling her every 20 minutes! Hahahahaha. I apologized to her and told her that I would not call again, and recommended that she change her number because the former owner of that number was a very popular guy.

The reason I was thinking of doing this the way I am richard is because of the fact I have everything I need now -1 locker... Eventually I could just get to 488 gears for a4 cylinder third member and then I could swap the Spartan lockers right over..... I don't think it really would be too costly and we'll get me on the road immediately. However, if I could find a v6 thirds for a reasonable price I would probably do that and just sell my whole set of 4 30's with locker. in fact, if I could know that someone right now would trade me 2 8 inch 488 geared V6 members, I would probably do it. See that's the thing, Richard, I'm not sure that I want a lunchbox locker in the rear.... I would really like a selectable locker back there but I just haven't found any great deals on the classified or anything like that. I did see an ARB air locker but it was for a 7.5 inch differential. It wasn't the greatest of deal either, but definitely a good discount. what I would really love to do is an E locker in the rear, but I'm less and less put off by the air locker because they serve way more than one purpose, obviously.

Anybody know if someone were to factory 488 geared thirds from the rear of a v6 4runner?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Redeth005

Nope not at all. You kept up with both my neighbours rigs who are both running 4.88s and Detroit lockers In the front amd rear. He kept up really good. No problems at all.
I think Chris is running 529 front and rear.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 AM

Chris and his dad are both running 4.88's. I'm positive. Cuz he's told me so many times. However, he does want to upgrade to 37" tires or bigger and whenever he decides to go that route then he's gonna uograde his gears.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chef's doing an SAS? Wow, a lot happens when I don't come on YT for a couple months...
Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
Chef's doing an SAS? Wow, a lot happens when I don't come on YT for a couple months...
Lol if its been a few months then you also missed out on the one I did and the one Tuef is curremtly doing >.<
It almost seems like a lot more people are doing an SAS now. Or maybe imbjust paying more attention to it idk lol

CHEF IS GONNA HAVE ONE SICK LOOKING RIG WHEN WE'RE DONE WITH HER. I'm anxious for him.

Last edited by Redeth005; 05-15-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like a very tasty mess in the pan LOL...

here's a thought why is food in the forces always called "mess"?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
looks like a very tasty mess in the pan LOL...here's a thought why is food in the forces always called "mess"?
Yeah! Mark, we gotta get together again, just eat, and not work on the trucks - LOL!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Dinner looks great. Now if those parts would just get on by themselves. I would like to watch one in person as it gets swapped over. Shouldnt be much longer til it is SASed.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:41 PM

Haha, I love posting up pictures of food because I know it will always lead to a plethora of drooling and "Hey, what the heck? I wasn't even hungry 5 minutes ago!"

Yep, it looks like the weekend of the 24th it is on! I'm doing everything I can in advance to save some time, but there's really not much I can do because I have to drive it over there, unless of course Ruben wants to come over and do it inside of the garage? I haven't even thought of that, if it would help I'd be glad to host that lovely human being!!! No, I'm not forgetting to mention Richard or Ruben son Chris,... And Richard is welcome in my home anytime as is Faby! We'll see, maybe you can mention that to him Richard and see what he says. I have lots of freaking tools as you know and plenty of space in the garage to work on either side and underneath and even raise it up over a foot from where it stands now... 610 jack stands, 6 ton jack,... It's worth a thought???

Notice anything missing? ..........

Yep, I pulled the hitch and good lord this thing is heavy duty! I have already ordered and will be receiving hopefully next week my 4Xi class 2 certified rear bumper... The hitch is there so this hitch must go. it is in mint condition and all the hard work im off flawlessly without any incidents or any threads being turned into hamburger in the process... I haven't decided exactly what to ask for it but I thought I should mention that the bumper send all corner pieces will be going as well. They're all in good condition as you can see... On the bumper is not even a year old brand new...

Name:  20130515_142717.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  2.25 MB

Name:  20130515_142707.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  2.40 MB

As I said the bumper is $100 new, none of the caps are the forms and one of the runners is brand new from Toyota, both mounting brackets to be included if somebody were to need them ... So inquire with me and either a text message or private message if you're interested in either the hitch or complete bumper assembly with and caps and runners. I know somebody wanted to stay stock and had encountered a nice smashin on the one side... I just can't remember who it was, and they were asking me for a bumper. Well, this one is brand new so let me know. Also should mention it has the cutout done perfectly and the guide attached inside for the spare tire lowering arm.

So, trailer hitches gone, shackles ready to be moved so, trailer hitch is removed and shackles will be able to be mounted 2 hey hanger that is set for the back. I am thinking about maybe grinding of the tank mount tacks while it is under the knife and moving the take over a half an inch or so. I doubt there will be any problems as I've not heard of this but I'm going to check and make sure by looking at the leaves very closely they also are a straight box you shape strap and do not have an inset for those strep bolts to help clear the tank... So I'm assuming it could very well be a problem. We will see, and I will ask Chris and Ruben if they have the issues... Ruben actually has a pickup but still...

thanks for checking in guys and thanks again for all the encouragement and well wishing for my mom, as she's had a really up and down time of it. She wanted me to make sure that I told you guys that she was very grateful and truly is helped just a more positive by knowing that's so many that have never met her take the time to pray or send positive thoughts! Thank you guys, I mean it from the bottom of my heart!

By the way, anyone who tows in town should consider giving Adam and his awesome innovations a look... Also I wanted to mention that a lot of people are hasn't put one of these bumpers on because they are so many pounds... But if I lay out my hitch, which is damn near 50 pounds, the bumper and mounting brackets and all the rest I guarantee it would weigh 70 pounds or more. Just wanted to throw that little tidbit out there. Also, the difference in quality and strikes between the Trail Gear and Adams bumpers is pretty amazing. I looked into it quite a bit, and partly just watching his bowl a roll cage video... The guy just really knows his stuff on strength. He's also a full made in the US company and I appreciate that and want to help a small business like that in anyway I can! But I really love the fact that it's rated for telling and has dual tubes across the back... It comes fully ready with the side support and everything, and that is partly what sold me.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-15-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Mark check out the Transafrica thread... that is one amazing trip... a few pics of a tasty looking Tagine too.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hitch

Hey Chefyota,

I would love that hitch, I've been looking every where for one. The one I found was on craigslist about 5 months ago. I contacted him, but he can't find it now. i guess he ended up scrapping it when he didn't get any takers.

It's to bad your in Cali, or to bad I'm in Fla... The cost of shipping would be way to much for me to handle...
Old 05-15-2013, 04:37 PM

Yeah, I'm sure it's too costly to ship, BUT,..... It does come apart and could be shipped in a more flat/square manner. ..... I think it could be doable. .... Local is better.

This thing was put on at the dealer, IIRC, and this truck on the sales receipt was listed as having a tow package. It actually has is very rare radiator that I replaced with a new better than factory replacement a couple years ago. Apparently Toyota did very few trailer packages that had an outlet pipe that was moved for inches in from the corner for some reason. The radiator guy that I go with does hd stuff and managed to make me one from scratch.

Anyway, as I said, the mounting plates on this thing are like half an inch! Haha

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-15-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread