86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Got back over to Johnsons after the tbar crank/couple wheeling trips and rear spring add on.... Limited lifetime, etc. Anyway,...... they did a fantastic job again.... Benny is the man.....been there 32 years!.....

Name:  20130430_141626.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  1.75 MB

Name:  20130430_141611.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  1.88 MB

Riding very nice and straight and helped soften the steering back up too.

While there I saw this hot rod shop owner girl jump outa this.....

Name:  20130430_133006.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  2.98 MB

She had these in the lot and much more...

Name:  20130430_143259.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  2.98 MB

Name:  20130430_143304.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  2.48 MB

Name:  20130430_143314.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  2.39 MB

Name:  20130430_143329.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  2.29 MB

Name:  20130430_143337.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  2.87 MB

Name:  20130430_143342.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  2.37 MB

This Smokey and the Bandit T/A WAS CLEEEEAN!......

Name:  20130430_163147.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  2.19 MB

Name:  20130430_163058.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  2.07 MB

Made Mom this, last night, seared albacore with orange, pineapple and Sriracha reduction ...with garlic and ginger slapped brocolli, Mirin infused jasmine rice, Oranged and sauted fresh pineapple.....

Name:  20130430_200255.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  1.84 MB
Old 05-02-2013, 01:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ruby got some new shoes!

some nice rides an lookin good dinner too
Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
ruby got some new shoes!

some nice rides an lookin good dinner too
I think those are his Mud King tires. The lines on the tires are just for alignment. They did that with mine too.

Btw Is that girl with the Tacoma a Yotatech member? If not you outta introduce her man. That Tacoma looks clean. Maybe she should come on a little wheeling trip to Angeles Crest with us to see what hat red beauty can handle lol

Last edited by Redeth005; 05-02-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good, Mark! Hope all is well with your family.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

And did you tell this shop owning maiden about us? invite her to join us? we need more ladies who wrench Mark you know this...

Look like a tasty supper bro...
Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice pics! Your runner looks great. Glad to hear your moms doing better and at home.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice new shoes for the runner and the dinner looked great as well. Shes into Toyotas and old hotrods? I agree we need more women wrenchers on here like her.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 AM

Hey guys, thanks as always for all the compliments and input! I'm really really really slammed and overwhelmed at the moment but I will try to get back on here tonight and update. I have a few little things in the works, but I'm very good at secrets and I'd like to keep it that way for now, only because my life has been so sporadic for so long that I feel like whenever I share something I am going to do, almost every time something crazy happens to hinder whatever project it is. I will say this, I got a bunch more parts at pick your part from a couple first gen for runners.... as always I will put everything up on here before I post it on the classified add.

Some very clean manual locking hubs, the outside window L trimm with zero rust and all screws and seals still attached , 2 pairs of grey B pillars in mint condition, a 22r E five speed bezel with shifter boots, flawlessly working dash pot, 1 89 TPS, cold start injector time switch, all the brackets for a rear seat install which are possibly taking but I haven't heard back from him , a glove box with the transfer gear shifting instructions label, the rear Toyota label plastic piece with the lock cylinder and all license plate wiring and lighting and nuts still attached with no corrosion or damage, another gray 1st Gen map light w/mounting bracket, another pair of rear window relay modules, an 89 5spd ECU , a gray Deck lamp, all 4 1989 injectors, the red type with connectors and plenty of wiring on each one in mint condition on the wiring and connectors but need the seal boots and o ring kit, a pair of Toyota labeled front mud flaps, 1st gen 4Runner mint gas door with hinge and lock cyl and more that I will list.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-03-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM

chefyota treasure hunter! official promotion on the junkyard battlefield
Old 05-03-2013, 01:57 PM

nice score on the parts!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Mark,
As always rig looks top notch and ready for a photo shoot
And I wish for your mom's good health.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:02 AM

I will do a decent update tomorrow... But I just spent over an hour laying out everything and then the post got deleted... Smartphone? Maybe... Smart user? ugh! oh well what's the point of being totally infuriated? Hahaha... I'm just going to set up my laptop tomorrow and do a decent update. But I will say thank you very much once again for the kind words and especially for the thoughts and prayers regarding my mom. Night
Old 05-04-2013, 09:07 PM

Hey guys, thanks so much for the kudo's and Well Wishin for Momzilla!

Well, as some of you read, I scored pretty well at the Yards. I hope someone can use that stuff. I wish I could just give it away or friend it, ALL OF IT, ... but I simply can't afford that, and furthermore, .........THAT WAS SOME BRUTAL HEAT on my Pick-Your-Part extravaganza! lol....

As some of you actually heard, as I spoke on the phone those days, etc., while there.... I also made another score;

On the second day, stopping by there again for a lil more time, I came to realize that they had the furthest corner of the yard stuffed tight with trucks that had not even been put on the site yet as inventory.... They'd marked them, just not put them up on stands, etc. As I walked to the VERY end of the last row in the back right corner.... I saw the unmistakable Chrome Headlight Bezel of the relative of my Ruby, .... the First Gen 4Runner, minus the grill. This was 8 trucks in, very close together and right up against the back of the previous row(They leave rows that allow you to run a pretty wide Cart, they have up front, in between a row of a pair that is back to back). This meant it was at least 40Ft. from wherever I could get my Cart Closest.... But, I figured I'd grab what I could and be done with it. When walking up from behind it's tailgate, I noticed already from 20 feet away that this thing was MICKEY-MOUSEIFIED! hahaha... BUT, it was very clean. It had Chevy 1/2 Ton Axle in the rear with Disc..... , and the wheels were sticking out in the back around 4" on each side! hahaha... I got a couple pics of how bad he Mickey Moused it out/And a pic of the entry number, etc........

Name:  20130501_141859.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  2.03 MB

Name:  20130501_141855.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  2.48 MB

Name:  20130502_145052.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  2.25 MB

If you notice, ...... it was a "drive in".... This means it came in on it's own power. Unfortunately, by the time I'd gotten to it, someone had already pulled the valve cover to take. It was MIA... BUT, no milkshake, etc... It was literally CLEAN in there, and yet... I really don't need another 22RE, .... especially for the price they ask there(once your'e done with Core and Tax and CALIFORNIA ENVIRONMENTAL RECOVERY FEE.....GRRRRRRR, .... it's already at like 488$ for the whole engine... And THEN to add Warranty, another 89$ or something. Honestly? I really didn't think it would be worth it to try and pull it with the time I had and then only to lose it to the next morning crew of "Toyota Rapists and Re-sellers to Mexican and South American Buyers".... These among the rest of the "GROUPS" of "Gear and other High Desire Toyota Item Desiree's"...... well, just trust me, or ask Richard(Redeth) or Grego or RAD or many others from L.A. ...... it's getting REALLY hard to get there in time any longer! hahaa...... Hey, I don't blame em...... there's money in it. Just frustrated, ..... cuz I want me a Pair of Factory 4.88 Rears!

So, ..... after I returned the next morning as they opened, I jogged back there..... and what did I find? THE JACKHOLE I mentioned had propped tires under the motor and trans and REMOVED THE TIRES, ALL BUT ONE! ..... FURIOUS, guys, lemme tell ya..... that's the best word to describe it. And so, from there on, I'm working under a rig that is, now, around 12" closer to the ground!

At this point, I walked to the isle and asked a guy who knew me, ..."You gonna pull this out?" He got the manager for me, whom walked over, 10 min or so later, took a look, then got on the radio, asking in spanish "What is next on your agenda today???".... They told him, and when he realized it was 8 trucks back, 2 rows in of rigs on the ground... he straight out told me, "Nope, sorry... I can't do it til tomorrow.... BUT, if you come in the morning at open, even if someone is there, I'll tell them it's yours/that you were the one unbolted/readied it for removal...... I thought about it as he left.... After around 5 minutes, realizing that, well not only do I often have pretty bad luck with stuff like this in this place.... I also have so many things in "LIFE" just coming at me from all directions, sporadically, ya know? "MEH, .... let's do this", I said to myself! hahahaha....

This was, by far, the most brutal yank I've done on a trans or otherwise(aside from my daughters 87 Camry Wagon she had at one time).... 1. It was 93+Degress F..... 2. It was way too close to the ground, leaving me NO elbow room hardly at all..... 3. The Mickey-Mouser PO had had 1/8" plate welded to the exhaust all the way down to the elbow, more than half away around.....4. It was REALLY tight on the front diff end.... which meant, I couldn't really drop the front diff without a total added PITA.... SO, I spent a few minutes and hack sawed off the last 12" before the cat, then prying the exhaust pipe back and forth as much as I could til it opened up a lil like a can... I tried cutting the portion that would have been in the way of dropping the trans, but that plate steel and the angle I was at with that saw proved too difficult.... SO, .... took my 3# sledge and smashed it upward until it cleared the bottom of the bell housing. FHEWWWWW! haha... (BTW, ... I would have just removed the collector, but all 3 studs had standard ASE bolts forced on til totally stripped out, not to mention frozen on with rust.... And I wasn't about to try and remove the exhaust manifold shield and manifold... So I just worked from the bottom... AND IT WORKED! )

Next, obviously, I had to remove the driveshaft from the front diff(be prepared to find very tough bolts and nuts... and some even possibly rounded.... If one side is rounded a bit, use a large prybar to wedge between the rounded nut or bolt and the next nut or bolt in the rotation..... It will likely be spinning freely, so turn the shaft with a socket or 14MM HD 6 Point closed end wrench until it's pushing the prybar or LARGE SQUARE STALK SCREWDRIVER up against something, to stop the flange from turning..... Then, .....take a 17MM or so closed end of a wrench and place it over the outside of the open end of the 14MM wrench and inside as well.... As this point, you have around 50# more of leverage at your disposal... and MOST often.... even stubborn bolts/nuts will GIVE UP THE GHOST! lol.... If you snap it off, SO WHAT, .... better than getting all that way and then being stuck unable to remove the sucker, right????? SOOOOO, .... I should mention.... 'START BY REMOVING THE DRIVESHAFTS IN QUESTION!' As I said, ...better to find out now, then 6 hours later, they're frozen and WONT budge..., eh??? )

Now, my problem was getting the trans backed out from the motor without any ability to get a floor jack or anything under it.... So, I placed the upright portions of the back seats/minus brackets below where it would be dropping to, removed the shifter handles, then RIGHT THEN, a kind older dude walked up and asked... "Whatcha doing?.... need some help?" ...My response within .25 Seconds was "GOD BLESS YOU! YES, PLEASE?"..... I had him sit in the console slot(removed), put my ratchet strap around it, then had him strap the strap around the female side of the seatbelt posts, pulled all the way back and then torqued TIGHT AS POSSIBLE... , then told him to start ratcheting once we got it really snug.... Meanwhile, underneath, I pried the bellhousing/input shaft from the pilot bearing, as he ratcheted, and then with a POPPPPP.... it became free.... I then came out and got in, loosened the seat belt bolts and slowly pried them back forward, holding onto the ratchet strap tight, .... then slowly lowered it to the ground.(The key with this emergency/probably and hopefully will never have to be done by ANYONE I know-method, hahhaa, ...is to unbolt the trans mount from the trans[2 bolts on each side], THEN>>>>, loosen the cross member bolts all the way, removing each one and then putting it back in around 3 turns, ONE AT A TIME.... THEN, ... when you're ready, you can, COMPLETELY SOLO, without a trans jack or any jack for that matter...., use a strap or spare seat belt to drop the front of the trans, slowly, to the ground... Then prop a tire or something under the Tcase, SNUG, .... then remove the 4 crossmember bolts, one side at a time..... Once it's on the tire, fully...., pry a piece of wood up under just forward of the Tcase output shaft flange[You don't want it to TURN ON YA! hahaha] ....////OR, you can take the now free of tension strap and wrap it around the Tcase ouput shaft flange, forget the tire and wood, altogether, .... and then again just simply lower it to the ground, carefully, when you're ready, from the top[Preferably lower it onto something cushy, rather than the ground... but it wont hurt it if you lower it carefully.]......

At this point, ..... I had no choice but to rotate it to it's side to clear the passenger side gap of "ground to rig body".... So I rolled it onto a piece of really thick Ford Van interior cargo area paneling... slid out the bell housing.... Then rolled it back as it sits in the rig, so that the Tcase output shaft hump would clear the body..... then dragged it out into the open, using the strap and panel. HOLY CRAPOLI, .... I gotta say, at this point? I WAS COMPLETELY wiped out, nearly heat stroke slapped.... , I had nearly broken a meta-tarsal bone, REALLY smacked right elbow, had TONS of debris in my eyes/in spite of the safety glasses, a good bang to the head, a couple pretty decent cuts and a black and blue fingernail from a good whack the day before with the same 3# sledge hammer while removing the cone washers.... OY VEY! hahaha....

I then took a leather glove and deep socket 24mm I believe and stuffed it onto the trans input shaft.... Put it in first, rotated..... turned without drama and didn't hear anything nasty... 2nd? Clean, ...3rd? 4th? 5th? Reverse? ALL clean and 3-5 getting more and more quiet as I went... Then, slapped it in 4Low.... SAME THING.. Tcase was quiet... trans and both input and output shafts on the tcase flowing fine... 4High? SAME THING... At this point, I felt at least A LIL more sure that I didn't wast my time.... The fluid? VERY clean, actually...and while the thing was THE DIRTIEST TRANS I'VE EVER SEEN? lol....I think it was a really bad rear main/valve cover and other leaks I'd found that contributed to most of that.... Probably along with some seals and gaskets just DONE................

THEN?????? .... I realized that I had to drag the trans around 40 Feet on the panel I found, just to reach my cart..... where I then had to lift the panel and trans simultaneously until I could get the Tcase over the edge of the car-wheeled cart(around 3x6 platform, maybe 10-12" off the ground....)... The cart would NOT fit BETWEEN any of the trucks to get it over there... they never do. The just do 2 rows back to back, then a large space between each pair of truck/car rows... But since these were not ready to even put up on stands, .... there was no way to get a cart back there...And, as I already said, I know.. the manager wasn't going to move it out... and I KNEW if I waited til the next day.... my unbolted trans might have been easily grabbed when they moved it over to the main rows(Richard knows what I mean....they put most of the toyota's on endcaps so to speak.... So they get raped QUICK!)....

I got it up on the cart, rolled it and my large lot of tools/equipment up to the front, ....and as I neared the cashier, .... the owner saw me and said, "HOLY ...YOU'RE KIDDING ME! You got that, gavacho????".... He felt really bad, .... then walked over to me, looked up at the cashier and said, "Hey, .... just write it up as a manual trans, comprende???" .... HOLY CRAPOLI did that make my day, guys! hahaha... I mean, most of this drama was something I clearly could have walked away from... But even at 260$ or so for a W56 and Tcase, I would have been happy to have taken it. It was still near 180$ with Tax, 30$ California Hazardous Waste Environmental Recovery Fee( SERIOUS EYE ROLL FROM THIS Peoples Republic of California CRAP!) and core....

I then re-remembered that I had to get it into the rig.... Right as I got there, 2 guys I know, a father and son that work the yards together, walked up and helped me IMMEDIATELY! One got in my rig in back and dragged it in as me and his pops lifted and slid it back over a big tarp I always carry "In Case", lol... The son, still in the back, then said, "HOLY CRAP, DUDE, ...this thing is tricked out! What is this, wood under carpet? Oh man, this must sound pretty good, too?"... I turned on some tunes for him(Carlos Santana - Supernatural), and he just sat in there for a minute and rocked out! hahahaha.... I slipped them a few bucks, which they refused, but I insisted. They obliged and then gave me their number.... He told me his pops liked my truck, loves what I've done and would give me a killer deal on a set of 4.88's when he gets some. WOOT! lol....

I started to clean up, and DUDES AND DUDETTES, .. I'M NOT KIDDING, .... I WAS IN AGONY! hahaha... Even hand cleaner scrubbing was INTENSELY locking up every joint in my tired arse body! lol... You know those cramps you get in the calf? OH MANGGGGGGG! Seriously, was getting those in both of my elbows, wrists, a shoulder and under my floating ribs! OUCH!!!! hahaha.... Sat down, then IMMEDIATELY thought of all my homies here.... and said, "I HAVE to get a pic of this thing back there!" hehehe....

Name:  20130502_184049.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  2.01 MB

I then got home, .... and I NEVER fell asleep so quickly in a long time! lol.... Did I mention I'm an insomniac? ......

Next day, I got up, realized I had to get it out of the truck.... and OUT OF NOWHERE, which I'd totally forgotten.... the gardener pulled up next door! (we often talk Toyota, he loves em)... He walked right up and said, ... "Oh man, ...you need some help?".... "HAAAAAAALLELUJAH!" ... haha.... Seriously, we did it in 30 seconds... NO ISSUES! I slid a thick piece of MDF, covered in thick white Formica, and then we just slid it right out over the tailgate! ......

Got it out and left it on the thick wood and laid it on to of my creeper... PERFECT lil tool for this! hahaha... Rolled it out into the driveway and took a couple crappy pics after already working on it a bit.......

Name:  20130503_173614.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  2.65 MB

Name:  20130503_173620.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  2.68 MB

So, I had a couple hours and sealed it up at the speedo cable and both shifters.... Then took the Purple Power to it...... Had to stop around half way... but it's coming along! >>>>>

Name:  20130503_185343.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  2.58 MB

For anyone who stuck with me on this LONG winded story..... I appreciate it! I just wanted to share..... I mean, as tough as things have been.... and having such limited time any more.... I felt really good/grateful to have gotten this done..... Thanks for the couple people who kept me company on the phone while I tried to figure out what to do after this JACKHOLE knocked it on the ground.... BUT, to be honest? This ended up helping in a couple ways... 1. The 2 upper bolts for bell housing to block? MUCH easier to get to with it a lil lower.. 2. Not having to reach UP as much, while it was tight... Well, I have to say it's probably part of why I was able to continue... MEH, forget 2, I guess, lol.... It really did end up costing me quite a bit more time...

Nonetheless it's OUT, ... now on to see what I'm into!

PS> I'm sure most of you know that I am tired of having mental battles with myself over whether or not to do what/with which parts, etc... SOOOOOOO, ...if you wouldn't mind?????????????????>>>>>>>>>

1. What's my best bet on verifying exactly where this trans is? (pulling the guts to inspect, I know...but I mean, should I refill it a lil with oil just to see what kinda noise MIGHT be going on in there?

2. If I do decide too rebuild this one.... Or just freshen it up/do all new seals and gaskets.... I already have all the tcase gaskets and seals(minus the output shaft seal, already used in mine).... I might just slap my tcase on this trans, whatever.... but IF I do this..... has anyone done a master kit from Marlin? Is that the way to go?

3. The place near me that supplies most every trans place in L.A. County(L.A. County is like 100x100 miles! lol)..... They said they'd pick it up, max repair is 550$, then drop it off, sealed up, fixed and ready to roll...(Range is minumum of 150$ to maximum of 550$/Within reason.... like if it's got 3 grenaded gears, etc., of course, hahaha)..... I guess they mean if they did every seal and gasket, AND did all the gear syncro's, all bearings, etc., minus gears.... that's my guess anyway? lol).... They do it in 2 days or so. I just don't want to pick it up and be wondering, "When is this going to implode on me?" .... even though I KNOW they're pretty reputable... I really just want good parts used...

4. Get a good kit or whatever(maybe see what's needed first, which syncros, bearings..... THEN order accordingly)..... and let AAA-Gear do the trans? I do NOT want China ANYTHING going in this.... That's the problem with me, I'm anal retentive on the parts stuff... SUE ME! hahaha.

Whatcha think?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:16 PM

dude good karma comes back in good time sounds like it came to ya in several perfect waves ya came up rich
an the price Oh SWEEET you lucky bum! just awesome!

as for the trany i dont know what to say your current 4 is ify if you can float the rebuild by a pro shop i would but doing it yourself you know its done right an your dang good at doing it yourself!

do ya want me to send ya a pm with the parts i want from ya?
also got any of the philips head tailgate stay screws? one of mine has gone poof an disappeared
Old 05-06-2013, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
While there I saw this hot rod shop owner girl jump outa this.....

That's probably the best rear bumper design I've ever seen, for my tastes.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:07 PM

WOW chef, you should start your own junk yard!! wish you lived closer, i would love to hit up the yards with you. i never been lol. im too lazy and hate looking for stuff. i guess the yards around my area are not as great as yours

Originally Posted by Ocell
That's probably the best rear bumper design I've ever seen, for my tastes.
looks like all pro rear bumper
Old 05-06-2013, 08:42 PM

Thanks Dragon! Was gr8 chatting with ya!

Hey Ocell, ....I live the sloping design and the porthole plate welded in the lower slope. I shoulda asked her on it....was a nice Taco fo sho! Allpro is toight! Lol. ....gotta go look at their site after this!

Toyo, haha.....I'd love for you to go as well! Not asfun going alone. Lol......They have engine hoists and lots more to borrow. TONS of imports!

Anyone have any input on trans ideas? Just curious.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-06-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:00 PM

I agree with Toyo, I wish the yards in my area were as full as what yours seem to be!

I enjoy reading your tips and tricks, Mark! It truly does motivate/inspire me to do more on my truck.

But 93F?! Man I'm spoiled where I live! I could be out checking fluids in 70F and i'll start complaining and pick up at a cooler temp, later in the day! What a whimp I am! I am lucky enough to live in the area that has the coldest summers in the nation, and I complain about the heat...
Old 05-06-2013, 09:02 PM

if i remember, your having problems with your current transmission. i know its alot of work to do at home and time can be an issue. if it was me since i have access to a lift and tranny jacks. i would throw the pulled trans in and see if it even needs anything. i hardly hear of any t case having any issues. maybe you can get info from yard about the vehicle you pulled it from for the number to call the owner to ?? him about the trans and t case.. long shot i know..
Old 05-06-2013, 09:53 PM

The rig drove in, on its own by owner, had 185k, and I mentioned the checks that I did that were the only things I could do.....

Turned the input shaft in and out of 4wd hi and lo and through all 6 gears in 1-5/Reverse.... never had a problem... but its not under load either. .. and it was pretty messy, likely mostly from the rear main and valve covers. .... but not too hard to do new gaskets and seals. Maybe have my machinist check all the gears and bearings.....

Lil more noise in 1st, then les and less as I went through to 5th... but remember, only residual fluid in it. I have the full fsm for 88.... So I will take a look in the fsm and sure, maybe just a mild service and check then refill and go! Lol. .. maybe go dual cases all up in heah? hahahaha

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-06-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread