86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by streetlancer
I would definitely get them back on there, I think they kick a$$.
But before you go spending money on paint I think you should give rubbing compound a try; 3M makes a good one and paired with a buffer it should look new!!! My truck was so oxidized it was a dusty pink!!!! But after using meguier's compound by hand a couple of times and some wax afterward it looks good!! Too bad it didn't take care of my rustholes...
HAHAHA! Yeah, rust STINKS! lol... Yeah, I have some Mothers Polish(some airline stuff) and some Turtle Wax Polishing Compound.... I've used it a couple times.. I think it's just getting to where it's losing too many layers, ya know? Like I said, it's a'ight.... I'm not worried about that so much. I'm a very practical person, most often, and I will DEFINITELY deal with every gremlin, more electrical restoration and eventually, I'll have her near 90% restored and THEN?.... Paint time, lol. Few years, at least. DANG I love having a rig I can say that about... 'AHHHHH, it's 23 years old... it's like a teenager!" lol. I have friends who wouldn't listen to me, bought S10's, Jeep Luxury STuff, etc..... They're sorry now, hahaa.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 PM

Well,

I cleaned up my console today, underneath the shifter boot housing, around the resevoirs that the switches sit in, ...the switches themselves, the insides of both storage boxes... DANG that thing holds quite a bit. The reason I'm doing so is because I finally found a guy to do my console lid.... and he's 2 BLOCKS AWAY, hahaha. He's going to do a combination of hard and softer foam and it will be about 3" tall of padding on top of the lid, total(maybe 2.5", he's gonna tell me). He's stitching it and everything and doing it in Genuine, Dark Gray Leather. It will match really well. I'm stoked, because I've had that covered with CD holders, and well, just about anything else you could imagine, hahaha. The area between my seat and the console is where I keep my 3D Maglite(best legal weapon you can have at your fingertips, lol). Just an idea for anyone who's wondered about light holders, etc. It slides right in there, perfect, and is almost totally out of view. I'm also having a lock done afterward and a 2 Prong 12v AC outlet kit put in, eventually. 2 in the front, 2 in the back. I can power it off the switches source or run a new one right from Aux. It's looking much better, but WOW, that whole console and under, etc., .....FILTHY! I have some nice Carpet, too. Quality Car Stuff, in just the right Gray. I'm probably going to re-do the rear of my truck, bed, etc. Possibly doing the panel sides in the rear, too. Have a good idea for that one and it should help clean it up a lil, too.

Anyway, sorry for the pointless banter... I'll have pics in a couple days when I get the lid back. He's REALLY busy, so I must be patient... but I'm told he's one of the best. I saw 2 Deuces he was doing and a 30' Ski boat... WOW he does some really nice custom stuff.

L8r, t8rs,

Mark
Old 09-04-2010, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice rig man.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
NICE WORK MAN!!
One of my favorite 4 runners!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by AlienXtx
Nice rig man.
Thanks a lot, man! Very much appreciate the compliment. It's getting there, for sure... hopefully I will have news, soon, on a pretty major development in my build. HOWEVER, ... I'd like to sock away the gremlin first, and granting that the CAM that will be here on Tuesday solves the mystery... then it will be on to 'the next BIG step'! ..... Tune back in, couple weeks from now.... I'll post it up if I can pull it off.

Originally Posted by toyospearo
NICE WORK MAN!!
One of my favorite 4 runners!
Wow, thanks man! That means a LOT coming from a DIY'r like yourself... STILL think your Flatbed is the SICKEST around... Yet, this new project you got going on is QUITE the fun one! lol... I had a SUPER clean 83 I bought in 97 with 30K on it! Grrrr, paying for your own college requires sacrifice, eh? lol.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
chef my friend, how are things going?? that console finished up?
did you ever get an accurate mileage calculation?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:47 PM

Hey Dewit...

Actually, the console is done, yes. It's on my other puter... and you've reminded me, so when I get on next time, I'll load up a pic of the interior. Need to roll her outside for some better interior pics, ya know? The color is a lil off from original on the doors, etc.... but it's fine. Most importantly, it's HIGHER AND CUSHY ON THE PADDING! lhahahaha.

Mileage? Well, if you look at my troubleshooting thread, in my sig, it's been quite the journey. I have come to find out that, apparently, my CAM IS TOAST! All that work, diagnosing, countless hours of tearing things down, .... all new everything, internally, and it appears the machinist did a HORRIBLE grind on my cam. This could very likely be why I can't get the timing to stay still and, more to the point of your question, 'why the gas mileage was stankin! lol. I'm going to be swapping out this cam with a brand new 261 from Engnbldr.com. I've spoken to Tod many times, VERY helpful guy, as is his Dad, Ted! Doing the swap this weekend... wish me luck! lol

Mark
Old 09-14-2010, 05:34 AM

YOU CAN DOOO IITTT!! it shouldnt be too bad. your gona be an expert 22re mechanic soon!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
YOU CAN DOOO IITTT!! it shouldnt be too bad. your gona be an expert 22re mechanic soon!

Hahahaha.... Well, THANKS, COUGAR! I know, it will most likely be one of those MANY, "Oh, THIS is what I was all freaked out about??" type of things... But I know, from research, it's a bit more touchy than much of what I've done. Things CAN go wrong and I'm just going to have to be EXTREMELY careful, think it out, execute it without disturbing anything(or dropping the chain down in the pan! lol) and then be TRIPLE SURE that my Cam is lined up PERFECT, lubed, rockers that might have been damaged-replaced, ....ETC.! hahaha. I would have no problem yoinking the head again, but even then, I'd have to watch the chain stuff, etc. .... Plus, IT'd be A LOT MORE WORK, hahaha.

Very much looking forward to doing it and either socking this gremlin away or finding out whether other things are involved. IF the latter is so, I'll be having that 'machinist' pay for the HG, new valves or whatever might have been damaged.

Thanks for stopping in, Cougar,

Mark
Old 09-14-2010, 02:00 PM

I am always lurking! interesting to see whats goin on with your rig, I just dont write every time I am here. Did you get the other rig started that you were helping with?? Mine has a slight miss also, maybe its just in the 22re's nature. I think mine is the tps because the idle jumps sometimes on its own, if I put any pressure on the tps the idle jumps. I just dont think I can afford a new tps right now.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Hey chef I just thought I would tell you that I found the P/N for the 'grommet' that goes in that water pipe that you had a hell of a time getting to stop leaking lol not that it helps you now but I was thinking of you and Jerry when I found it haha

Hope everything is going well with the build!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:08 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Joe.....someone else was talking about that.....if i'm thinking of the same thing https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...estion-219737/

EDIT....link added, a quick read.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 09-14-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Posted up a pic

Thread jack over heheh thanks Chef!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
I am always lurking! interesting to see whats goin on with your rig, I just dont write every time I am here. Did you get the other rig started that you were helping with?? Mine has a slight miss also, maybe its just in the 22re's nature. I think mine is the tps because the idle jumps sometimes on its own, if I put any pressure on the tps the idle jumps. I just dont think I can afford a new tps right now.
Well, this CAM is DEFINITELY causing a miss. How much of my miss is to be seen after replacing the cam. Of course, it might have damaged something else.... and I KNOW I will most likely have to replace a couple rockers.(no biggie, I'll have it off)...and I'M PRAYING that the journal keepers aren't destroyed, etc. Should be fine there, as well. My CAM is so rounded out, Cougar, ....well, it's just not opening the valves enough. And, having to adjust the valves, 3 times, on an original cam? SOMETHING is definitely wearing down....again, I would assume, aside from the CAM, it would more likely be the followers on the rockers. Could be your TPS... could also be the AFM. My old one was causing an intermittent 'idle of it's own mind' kinda thing. Sticky door and bad ambient temp sensor, I believe.

Originally Posted by PismoJoe
Hey chef I just thought I would tell you that I found the P/N for the 'grommet' that goes in that water pipe that you had a hell of a time getting to stop leaking lol not that it helps you now but I was thinking of you and Jerry when I found it haha

Hope everything is going well with the build!
hahahaha, yeah, that was DAYS ago, and THANKS, JOE! I appreciate you having my back, dropping a nugget. Doesn't matter that I'm done with that... it WILL help someone, yeah? Also, I replaced the pipe, cuz mine was leaking through the taper, RIGHT THROUGH the flange! didn't matter how much goop, it would have done that. Now, with a clean pipe off a 80k mile truck, new rubber gasket, ......NO leaks and it probably wont, ever again. From everything I've read, we're NEVER to use goop on that one... it's just such a specialized fit. I suppose Toyota FIPK OEM stuff would work, just like cranking it half way, then fully once it dried... but who knows. I also replaced the bolts with studs, lil red locktight and VOILA, MUCH easier to keep in place now if I had to pull it without wanting to yoink the intake.

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Joe.....someone else was talking about that.....if i'm thinking of the same thing https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...estion-219737/

EDIT....link added, a quick read.
Tanks, Jerry! So, you're hosting a suspension class at yer pad, eh? GNARLY! lol. Might have a yellow runner in yer driveway for a weekend or so, if anything goes wrong, hhaahaha. Yer wife must love that, eh? "what, ANOTHER PROJECT, JERRY?" LOL. Jk, it's good of you to help, man! I try to, and it usually is very much appreciated.... but regardless, I'd do it anyway, ya know? lol.

L8r t8rs,

Mark

PS> I will be doing the CAM SWAP write up on my troubleshooting thread and here, but I might be starting a thread for it, just because it's such a unique topic, eh? "CAM swap WITHOUT removing head"...whatcha think? hahaha
Old 09-14-2010, 05:32 PM

i'm providing tools and ambiance....hopefully he doesn't get stranded here....he might be buying a caddy....hehehhee
Old 09-14-2010, 05:33 PM

New Console Lid, thanks to "Torrance Upholstery, CA". He did a hard foam base that filled in the groves and bends, and then medium firm foam over that, 3" to give me the ability to rest my arm on it without having to LEAN OVER! Charcoal Gray Leather, stitched well and I"M SURE, good for many more touring miles... WHICH I INTEND TO PUT ON HER! lol. I also used some Auto Carpet to cover the holes from my CB squaker mounts. Also, for the purpose of placing velcro there and hanging my cell/mp3 system from right there... Out of the way and easy to reach. I have a cell holder that will mount right there with velcro and then I'll slip the phone in the holder.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:38 PM

I also found that I DON"T LIKE any of the LED kit's I've found for my rig at the parts stores. So, I cleaned up the inside of that dome light cover, WHICH WAS VERY much limiting the light out of that thing.... Put in a new OEM bulb and it's WAY BRIGHTER than before I cleaned it, even with the same bulb I had in there. I just like the light better, but if I can find the number(ANYONE????) FOR A festoon that will fit RIGHT IN, give good angled light to front and a lil back, ...I'LL BE ON IT LIKE A WET BLANKET! I would even do a curved panel, LED/White, ...but they one I replaced just didn't have as nice a color and was pointing straight ahead. It had 24LED's in it, and it was bright... but the one from Kragen, with 8led's seemed to be even brighter, with bigger bulbs, and yet, again, ...it just shined straight down... And well, I already have map lights, know what I mean? hahaha.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:40 PM

Oh, I see, a highjack'n'drive-by, eh? hahhahaha.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 PM

nice elbow parking spot Chef.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 AM

Thanks, Jerry! lol....

It's VERY much 'perfect' as far as the height of the padding, etc. I plan on modifying my console a bit to have power, etc.,....but for now, I JUST WANNA USE THAT PAD TO PARK MY ELBOW ON A LONG TRIP!!!! Gonna hit the Sierras and Sequoias, ....maybe take the coast back and do Pismo, IF I CAN GET THIS CAM IN AND IF IT RESOLVES MY ISSUE! lol.

I'm trying to figure out a way to weld in a "Club(tm) safe", too. LOVE that idea and it would allow me to lock up stuff like the Sig, etc., and not have to worry if it gets broken into that it's stolen. Was thinking about a tuffy, but I KNOW of a guy who broke into his own when he lost the key.... and this club thing, I've heard they're almost impossible to get into if you place and install them right.

Far as the console lid, ...it's strange, ...when I'm in there, it doesn't look that different in color. I have to get a pic outside in the sun. Even the seats are the same color, yet they look different in the pic. Something about the 'exposure', i believe.

Anyway, THANKS,

Mark

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread