86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did'nt know you lived hear the PCH... [one assumes you by from a nearby dealer]...
'course I hear PCH and one train of thought pops in my head... beach, surfing, bikinis... not nec. in that order... I gotta get out to the coast one of these days ... this cold bleak greyness is bringing me down man...
as for lighting I wonder if you could rig up a copper reflector tea light/scented holder... to max. out the romantic ambiance in your red light district...
I mean consider this... a star lit night out by that desert hot spring... the candle light reflecting warmly off the red copper... a little Bob Marley coming from the deck... some grapes and cheese... a chilled beverage... a warm wahini...
Old 04-13-2013, 08:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
Did'nt know you lived hear the PCH... [one assumes you by from a nearby dealer]...
'course I hear PCH and one train of thought pops in my head... beach, surfing, bikinis... not nec. in that order... I gotta get out to the coast one of these days ... this cold bleak greyness is bringing me down man...
as for lighting I wonder if you could rig up a copper reflector tea light/scented holder... to max. out the romantic ambiance in your red light district...
I mean consider this... a star lit night out by that desert hot spring... the candle light reflecting warmly off the red copper... a little Bob Marley coming from the deck... some grapes and cheese... a chilled beverage... a warm wahini...
boomchicamoumou
Old 04-13-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Lil update, as I always love getting new OEM stuff!

Notice anything? YES, the clips are included, already installed on the seal. As Dragon said when just speaking with him,..... "Jeeesh, woulda been nice if they told ya that when ordering the seal AND clips!".... I agree, and luckily, for me, I ordered and picked up from my dealer.
yep they aught to say it hey that weather strippin has the clips on it

Noooooo just let the people buy the clips too an have to refuse the extras when they arrive which makes costs go up
Old 04-14-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree, D!

Just installed the weatherstripping, ..... good LORD was it toast!

Uploading some video, but it's gonna have to be edited. ....

Can't seem to find any connection or gray areas where the tailgate mechanisms are dirty/exposed wires,..... nothing.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:51 PM

Just Jotting down some random Notes on stuff that might interest some people. I have TONS of research and links jotted down, but they're a lil 'all over' the place, lol... So, I'm pulling them together into my 'constant' notepad on my PC, just for some options.......

Here are some part numbers for OMEmu Suspension upgrades for the 86-89 4Runners.....

OME303003 = 2" Lift Torsion Bars

OMEN94 = 2" Lifted Rear OMEmu Rear Shocks/Medium Duty

OME60065 = 2" Lifted Rear OMEmu Rear Shocks/HD

OME60072 = 2" Lifted Front OMEmu Front Shocks/Nitro

OMESD33 = OMEmu Steering Stabilizer

OMECS009R = Medium Duty 2.0" Lift Rear Leaf Pack

OMESB6 = OMEmu Rear Leaf Bushings

OMEU53 = OMEmu U-Bolt/Single Piece (4 Needed as pack is thicker, can't use stock U-bolts!)

* As far as I know, all of these items can be ordered from 4wheelparts, if you're wanting to walk in and pick up your stuff in person. I recommend calling them to complete this order if you're going to pick them up or ship them. You can use paypal over the phone, where the CS rep will tell you to send it using a ticket number, tell you he received it and then complete your order.

* You can also order directly from ARB, which I highly recommend if you're going to have to have them shipped. Reason being, the purveyors they use, lock Rocky Road Outfitters, while I'm not trying to disrespect or hurt their business, take WAY too long to ship for my taste. 10 Weeks and they'd still not shipped my front shocks and steering stabilizer. SO, I called ARB, they drop shipped them to me for a small drop ship fee, and in 3 days, they were at my door via UPS/FEDex(can't remember).

ARB-USA Site; http://www.arbusa.com/

ARB-USA Phone #'s ;

ARB 4x4 Accessories;
720 SW 34th Street
Renton, WA 98057
WA Offices; (425) 264 1391 Fax: (425) 264 1392 Toll Free: (866) 293-9078

ARB 4x4 Accessories International

42-44 Garden St
Kilsyth, VIC 3137
+61 3 9761 6622
Fax: +61 3 9761 6807

ORRRRRRRR, if you're set on going SAS or BUST, asap? >>>>

SAS; IFS Eliminator Kits:

http://www.addictedoffroad.com/index...roducts_id=104

https://www.allprooffroad.com/8489suspension/8489sas/42

PS> Look at this bad boy!!!!!!!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3706272278.html

Just jotting things down for future reference for others, so I can just shoot them this permalink.... It's a far cry from what I WILL do, eventually, consolidating the 40+ Projects on this build... Resto's, Mods, Troubleshooting, etc., all of which will EVENTUALLY go on a separate Thread, cleaned up and consolidated(Maybe a sticky of sorts? lol).... But for now, just adding things I'll later add to and take away from other posts... making it very easy to navigate, with "HYPERLINKS" and such....

PS> CONGRATU-FREAKIN-LATIONS TO RICHARD! He's a buddy, so it makes it extra special to see his ole "Kingsford" get to a stance/place that he's been wanting for so long/Sacrificed quite a bit to make happen..... NIIIIIIIIIIIICE, BUUUUUDDY! LOL.

PSS> I'm looking at a few different projects right now.... and I will shortly update on what I've decided to do. For now, I'm just glad to have what I do ,...and yet, I'm always keeping my eyes open for that dream project. That 5.7L TLC, above? Came close to driving out to see it..... Just, well, as usual, TIME! .... Richard can tell ya, I came VERY close to having a REALLY nice 85/Hysteered, etc.... 2800$.... Just needed some cosmetic work. Nice kid, and honest, too.... He had someone coming the next day, ...and I offered to go pick it up right then and there, cash in hand... He refused. THEN, as I came home the next day from a job... I found out my mom was going to have to do 20 treatments of radiation on her Nose... Only 80% was covered, and it's 'up front', since it wasn't "life threatening ENOUGH" just yet. All under this new health plan that's kicking in in the form of cuts, etc... I'll leave it at that.... BUT, let's just say I'm not pleased. Also, this meant I had to come up with around 8K$...., so POOF, it was back to start over again, hahaha. BUT, I'm grateful to have the means to help.... I just wanted to share one of the many reasons over the past few years that I've seemed to take a while to 'leap' on certain 'bigger' things, ya know? Just too many people depending on me at times. BUT, .... I'm back to a point I can probably take something on that might be my 'Play Toy' more than DD.... Thing is, ...I"ve made this thing sooooo comfy/lighted/capable to some extent.... that it's hard to resist just going ahead with my own, "Ruby-Redrum"! lol. We'll see, as I've said many times... BUT, let's just say I will be asking for thoughts from people on certain things I'm not too up on, like maybe TLC's as an example. NOT HIGHLY likely... BUT, it IS one of my all time favorite toyotas! I'M NOT a "Top HASSSSS to come off or else!" kinda guy, lol..... While I DO and have enjoyed that many times..... I really just love the lil extra space of those, and 4 doors, solid axles that can be beefed quite well, ...etc. Just pricey to mod, I know that already. Done quite a bit of research... It's SCARY! lol. My buddy has that 5.7 Vortec..... LOVES it, ...never had an issue aside from minor crap in his second 180K miles.... YEP, he's at 365K mi. and has only rebuild the bottom end once and top end twice. And it's FAST(he has a 90's Blazer, gutted/built, etc.).

Anywhooooooo...... 3RZ, as I know I've said, seems to be the EASIEST swap... while CERTAINLY not 'easy' per say, ..... but I JUST CAN"T seem to get the jones for a lil more of a powerhouse out of my mind! lol. Yet AGAIN, with gas only climbing? 50$-65$ a tank, depending on the price at the time? MANNNNNNNNNN! It's nothing in regards to 'trips'... BUT DAILY? And yet, with mine, now, it's pretty powerful for a 22RE.... shocks ppl... BUT, 21hwy being pretty good can't TOUCH how bad the City is at times, when dealing with stop and go.

Another buddy has the OMD617 or whatever it is... The mercedes Diesel... LOVES it.... 33MPG's if he stays off it.... 20 in town on average. MAN that is tempting.... BUT, ..not LOVING the Mercedes Motor in a Toyota thing.

ALSO important, of course..... NO HELP... I really would be doing this alone, so yet another reason I"ve not done it to my own. I could head to a couple guys on YT and they'd help.... So I can't say it's impossible to get help. But, people are busy, times are hard... I really don't want to be a burdern, ya know?

Thanks for listening... Just ramblings for now... BUT, anyone knowing me knows how I can just SHOW UP one day with pretty big changes, hahaha.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Red light looks great, like what it does for the interior. Is that weather strip for the inside or out side of the back glass? That is one that I need to eventually get and that is a fair price for one. Is that what they sell for there or is that some discount you get?
Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 PM

awesome info mark

i hope mom does well with the treatments heres my best hopes

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Red light looks great, like what it does for the interior. Is that weather strip for the inside or out side of the back glass? That is one that I need to eventually get and that is a fair price for one. Is that what they sell for there or is that some discount you get?
they wanted more terry but my local dealer quoted me 39 an mark got um on that one
Old 04-15-2013, 05:09 PM

Thanks guys, and thanks for thinkin of moms, D! Kind dragon u iz! Hehe..

Poor thing has 10 more visits and her nose is already bleeding a lil, shes so wiped out she doesn't make it til noon at this point and shes passing out.... THIS IS TOUGH to watch her in ant decline!

But I'm grateful I can help and then be a part of it! Cant imagine her having to takea diala ride everywhere, etc. Plus, being able to help keep her in her own home ..... ALL reward over stress!

Thanks for the input on the tailgate, posting a vid in a min. Its terriible! Sorry, but maybe a lil helpful? Lol. .

Oh what the heck. ....

Old 04-15-2013, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those OME part numbers and info is great stuff!!Thanks!!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 PM

they 'technically' are called micro switches because of the thin lever that actuates the contact button they do go bad over time ive wore out several mice an they use the same switch type just smaller but im still sayin the gremlins are in your relays

as for the wire bypass thing for testing dude all ya have to do is lock the drivers latch push it with a screwdriver to lock it then it'll go in an out then just pull the door handle an it opens back up so ya can close the door

its a spring torsion bar just meant to give a 'little' boost to help with the door any more an it'll hold the door up a bit off of completely down mine the rubber ends are gone an i get to use some rubber hose on them grease on the (in) the bushings on the tailgate might help get rid of the groan
Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 PM

Pb blaster- white litho'd the plastic keepers for those rods, pivot hinges at the bottom on each side, latch keep 2 piece strap pivoting arm hinges. .... and now not a peep!

Not sure I get what u mean on the pudding the lock on part.... I cleaned those up to bar metal again. .... along with cleaning the limit and tightening up the door lock detection switch arm and seemed to do the trick. .... but an hour later, door was not opening when I parked during an errand. (Told dragon all this already,....just dor CO and otherwise posterity hahaha).....

Usually, 1 of 2 things works....

1. Rap on the gate and then turn the key and voila...... But this time I was in the car, do I tried the other.......

2. I either hold in the key turning it, or push on the switch from inside, and within 10 seconds or so, it just starts working (like the amount of time the now disabled buzzer stays on for the belt safety thing).... Was in the front, so I held and held the switch and nothing..... so I.......

3. Smacked the panel over the rear window relay module,.... and voila, it worked again

#3 hasnt seemed to have had anything to do with it for a whike,...up til that time last night, afyer I'd earlier torn into the gate and cleaned up many parts and replaced the weatherstripping (outer/unrelated I know).

Dragon thinks that main relay is the mudder bugger worth inspecting/swapping out for testing./that it most likely is the culrit since it happens at either switch and the door lock detection is working the "door" port I on of my back lights as it is supposed to/back door warning switch works, etc.... And he said more, and only I mentioned the door lock detection workin the lights like its supposed to, lol.

Also, I just ordered the inner window weatherstrippping with clips, today. So it will be super clwan and tight back there. Truzt me, those worn out seals let TONS OF MOISTURE AND DEBRIS AND CRAP INSIDE THE REAR GATE AND ALL ITS GOODIES! LOL.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:18 PM

ok the drivers side has the detection switch when the gate is open the latch is as well use a screwdriver an close the latch LIKE it would when closing the gate

window will go up an down an you dont have to mess round with the wiring upfront its all right there at the gate

then when done pull the handle open that latch an close your gate

the latch an gate dont know their down when that side is shut it takes a screwdriver to shove it closed like it would around the U bolt in the body

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 04-15-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 PM

Ahhhh, I see! Holy crapoli, ur kidding! Hahaha. ...

Ok, so ur just sharing that as helpful info? Or u want me to do so and try something?

PS: I cleaned up the piece of the latch that way, but never though to try it while the latch was pushed. Took me a second to figure out just pull the handle to unlock it again! Hahahahahah

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 04-15-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
"I just leave these screws in so I don't *rattle rattle* lose them" Yeah heard that one trying to run away and hide on you Hehe

"Just one more thi..." really a cliff hanger?! Now I hope that wasn't the season ender Bahaha.

Spent the last 2-3 minute of the video like a fool at the movie theater talking to the screen "Wiggle that bit right there!!" pointing and generally acting a fool. There is that little ping tail ground on the limit switch that looks to be riveted to the frame. It doesn't really look loose, but looks really dusty/dirty. probably couldn't hurt to give it a few spritz of electrical contact cleaner and little bit of conductive lube. Note that's conductive lube not di-electrical grease, electritions use it for power busbars and train guys use it for switches and the like. Might also be able to firm up the rivet, wedge or RBFH. I don't think that is your problem exactly, just kind of throwing it out there..

I was going to suggest checking the circuit breaker in the fuse box again. They used two types one auto resets when it cools off the other is a manual type it has a "pin hole" on it you need to jam something in to reset. These are covered in the intro/general section of the FSM and EWD books. I don't think that is your problem exactly either. Symptom would be more of a jittery effect where it opens and closes the circuit I expect. So just throwing that out there also for completeness.

I'm not completely convinced it's still not a ground issue from the gate to body. You had a ground strap a few videos ago. But Still haven't seen it was installed. Did you cut it too short Surely there has to be some place you can screw it in just for testing, that doesn' require pulling down a bunch of trim bits.

The door ajar switch, would cause your lights to flicker. I think you would notice that pretty easily and can check that off the list of suspects.

Fouled connectors, either dirty or loose female spades. These would be a bear to track down and if your going thru the trouble to getting access to them you might as well just clean them and tweak both sides(male/female) so they're clean and firm. That's a little bit of WD40, tweak each side of the female connector tighter, then connect-disconnect a half dozen times then repeat the first two steps. Generally if they are tight they are self cleaning but a little WD40 will help them along.

The only thing left is the relay assy' behind the panel. Loose connections, dead components, or loose and dead components *shrug* Once you swap that out for a spare give it a shake and see if anything fell off the circuit board (it'll rattle), or pop the cover off and look for bulging/leaking capacitors. Both of those would be easy to diagnose over the web. Flakey transistors gets a bit more sketchy but is doable. Failed solder connections, probably not diagnosable unless something fell off or there is obvious air gaps, but you can just flux and solder it all.

I have an idea for an easy test of the tailgate ground, ride around with the lock unlocked and if the light flickers off you'll know it's losing the ground thru the hinges. The new ground strap will eliminate that problem.

"Micro switch w/ acctuator" litttle switches with the arms incase any one wondered. Kinda thought they had a specific name like the "rocker switch" or "toggle sw" but thats all I could come up with. Just some edification I thought I'd share since I went looking.

Oh your window scratches... Can you do a fingernail check to see if they are inside or outside? They look maybe too wide to be that wire clip like maybe the wiper clips. I didn't reload the video HD to rewind and pause, but maybe?

Alrighty thats enough rambling. video, as always much appreciated. Good detail.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like Abby was in a medieval mood... feeling a little "Henry VIII" tossing the food on the floor for the dogs... always fun to see little ones in a happy tigger mood... there was probably a lot going on at the bear that day... lots to distract from eating...
or maybe she was in a mood for savory not sweet... a little hand temp. breakfast sausage perhaps?... won't be long before she'll be sharing grandpa's suicide wings...
I gotta take a look at that spring assist hinge... see if it can be adapted to a truck tailgate to make a "soft open" effect...
Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 PM

Love it, Paul...... thsnx for the smile, I need it right now....

Not ever liking to be a downer, but I just have people on here that are part of my every day life/known for years.... and, well, I don't shrug calling out for prayers or such.....

My mom has seemed to be slipping, health wise. She's doing 20 treatments if radiation on her nose, which is just wearing her out. Then yesterday sspending 3 hours in the Social Security office,........and today, she is just really out of it and can't stay awake. Part of which is the fact that she had a pretty big stroke in 2007,...and another part cuz they feel she might/likely has sleep apnea. She has afib and is on thinners and many other meds as well (including some really high quality natural stuffs)..... Having more and more trouble walking too.

Today, I took her to radiation and they did BP/HR/Temp......all really good and or normal. But her voice is just really raspy/caughing up stuff..... >>> OF COURSE, she got a cold! Grrr! So I'm gonna watch all her vitals and temp,......but man, guys,......gotta tell ya...... just a couple weeks of watching her be "not well again", and being concerned,...after all I went through with her and then her hubby? Its REALLY WEARING ME OUT, emotionally and physically! I'm a very positive person, but knowing her like I do, knowing she gets pneumonia easily, etc......its VERY taxing! I will try to continue to take care of myself, as well...... but there's just one of me. Poor lil thing.....sweetest person everyone who's met her has ever met, not just being prejudice.....

Then I call my dad and he just seems dramatically more defeated every time I speak to him. Hes not negative on life, actually grateful.....I just mean he is remembering less and less and able to physically do less and less .....even more quickly than my stepfather was, and he had far more debilitating illnesses. Just tough feeling helpless when I've been the one who holds things together against often pretty steep odds/obstacles..... Ya know.......We can only do what we can do, the best we can!

Also mention to explain,.......with sometimes 60-70 hrs work a week,.....caregiving,....... I'm judt totally out of gas right now, mentally and otherwise. Walked out to do something simple today and just had to say forget it for my own sake! Lol. ... I need rest and can't hardly ever get any,..........AHHHHHHHH! Haha...

Thanx for understanding, and Thanx in advance for the well wishes and prayers. Greatly appreciated!

PS> I have been really close to taking the legal on a couple really nice specialty thighs, .... even looked at one thoroughly. .... But I just can't feel like I would make a wise or practical decision right now! ... but the second I do, you all will be the first to know!

PSS> I'm really sorry it's taking me so long to get over there, Richard! I'm grateful for the thinking of me, and I just can't get 30 minutes to spare to save my life! :-( promise I will asap/withing a couple days (barring a crisis)
Old 04-16-2013, 06:43 PM

Psss> Thanx so much, CO! Took it to paper along with more u and others said!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe mom should take a break from radiation.
Prayers goin' you and your moms way.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Buck87
Maybe mom should take a break from radiation.
Prayers goin' you and your moms way.
with radiation they cant it has to keep certain levels of 'toxicity' for the cancer cells which replicate quickly faster than normal cells thus they die quicker than normal...

mark you have all my best hopes
Old 04-16-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey Mark, wishing you strength and will to continue on, and prayers for your mom and dad. Your doing everything a son can be expected to do and MORE! Keep up the great attitude.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread