86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 02:33 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I colored the first picture
Much easier to follow with colored wires, this is why the 90-95 4runner wiring book is so much easier to follow.. I hear ya!

*** The rear window motor, Back Door light and Rear Wiper Motor all get their power from the Kick Panel Fuse Block Power Source(Either "ENGINE" Fuse for the Back Door Light or "Main Kick Panel Circuit" for the Power Window Relay, which feeds the rest).......
??????? lol.
The relay distributes power from the "Power CB", "Engine fuse" is only hot with the key on. You can see this on the "Power source" page.

* The Power Window Relay is tied to EVERYTHING in and up to the tailgate, including the rear wiper fluid motor(which is activated at full throw of the rear wiper switch in the console).
Correct.
* I see all those safety features/names, ...and the "BACK DOOR UNLOCK WARNING SWITCH" is just stabbing me in the eye, lol... Is that just part of the door lock detection switch? OR, is it actually inside the Latch, which does actually have wiring?
I'm guessing that the wiring in the latch simply tells that the door is OPEN... But HOW? if that's how it works, does it do it by the gate latch not being on a hoop-keep anymore?
There are two switchs that activate the "Door ajar" light, one is the "Back door Unlock warning switch"(In your video you mentioned it, right of the motor) other is "Back door lock detection switch"(Far left of the gate, part of the latch assembly).

The first one operates when the gate is unlocked, looks like a reed switch maybe.

The second one you can see some of the mechanisim @ 7:58 of the video. Dirty wire on the right runs down under and into the latch assembly. Just to the right of this is a bit of plastic that is part of some type of rotating switch, again probably a reed switch.

ALL of them are GROUND to either inside the Panel or on the gate or body, directly...... And, IF ANY OF THEM are 'TRIPPING' a break in the completed circuit, they're doing so via "Breaking the Ground"
Yep.

(Probably should stay on task, and stick to the direct questions but... Not sure on the Hanes but the toyota book also shows a wire between the kick panel ground and bed ground. Thats what your going to do to the gate ground, redundant wiring is a good thing.)

I'm wondering about the power window circuit breaker. If it overheats and opens you'll have issues with the window and the wiper. You mentioned, I think, the wiper sometimes stalls out and doesn't fully retract. The Power CB also feeds the door control relay, which uses only the kick panel ground. Sooo.. If the rear window stalls out hit the drivers window really quick while holding the rear window and see if they are both not working. If they're bth not working at the same time it means the Circuit breaker is tripping.

The door control relay serves some function with the seat belt warning relay. You mentioned you have issues with that also IIRC. I can't make out whats going on in there. It went from a nice schematic to generic boxes instead of circuits, one is a timer atleast that ones labeled.

So I think I've got enough evidence to condemn the circuit breaker, just need the smokeing gun. So maybe you don't have to tear everything apart to add the ground strap.

Sorry got a bit tangental here and wandered off in another direction.

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 04-09-2013 at 02:37 AM. Reason: I Apparently don't know how to spell quote :D or redundant
Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Just getting around to your questions on the heater core. It is made out to be a dificult job but really isnt. Getting the dash pad off is what I would say is the toughest part, but once you know the trick to it, it is really easy. Getting the far passenger vent out is the trick. I have a video that shows how to do it. I do still crack one every know and then but they are just so brittle.

Some tips to getting down to the heater core is that I when I get the dash pad off, I use some spray paint and put a splash of paint on the the cables and where they lay across the support bar that runs the length of the dash.

I also lay the screws on the floor board of each side that they come off of. There are a variety of screws and bolts but it really isnt to bad to remember which one goes where. Start on the drivers side on a 1st gen runner and work your way to the passenger side when disassembling the dash.(On a 2nd gen runner it is easier to start on the passenger side and work your way over to the drivers side.)

Also while you have it that far down, it isnt much more time to go ahead and pull your ventilation system out and give it a good washing. You will probably be surprised at how much dust turned to dirt and how muddy the water will turn into when cleaning the pipes out. It helps to give a fresher smell in the truck as well.

To do get down to the heater core and have it out, it takes me about 30 minutes if I am at the yards. I have done it in 20 minutes but that is at the house and having all of the tools available that I need. In the yards, I just take the basic tools. When I am in the yards and come across a new truck in the yards, I practice on taking it apart for the practice and hopefully to keep some jack butt from destroying it. That is also a good time to build up the nuts,bolts and screws for your collection.

Here is a link to what I tried to make it a little more easier to help understand on how to get down to the heater core.>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51778558

Go thru the videos and links several times and I think when you do start on yours or practice on one in the yards it will help your confidence alot on doing the heater core and all of the other things involved in the dash assembly. It really isnt as bad as it is made out to be.

I was getting caught up on your thread and seen you talking about the trailer lights. I would suggest soldering them back together and using this kit below. It really is plug and play. I will say when you first hook up your trailer, it acts like it has to charge up the little black box that comes with the kit, but it solves alot of the problems that comes with someone hacking up the wiring.
I got my tail light conversion kit, still need to get it installed and need a drop hitch. I do alot of pulling. Its PN# 43315.
Name:  taillightconversion.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  64.8 KB
Old 04-10-2013, 01:02 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thank you for all the input. I will get some rest and dive into this asap! .. I'm wiped out! Lol........

I had a huge night and took moms, as a sort of early 80th bday present! Lol. ... We saw David Osborne, Pianist to the Presidents. ... DUDE WAS INCREDIBLE! I WILL post a couple videos, the guy was very friendly, gracious and INCREDIBLY HIGH GURU LEVEL STATUS on the ivory's! LOVE seeing my mom meet some of the cool ppl I deal with...... FANTASTIC SHOW, TOO!........

Name:  20130409_215412.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  2.24 MB

Even stopped and took moms up a bank, haha. ...poor thing, she was not pleased, lol. .... but then called down and made a face at me, hehe. ....

Name:  20130409_185511.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  1.96 MB

Name:  20130409_185503.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  2.64 MB

Why would I have my mom stepping on a stepladder, up into Ruby, taking her to an event? Lol. .... her CRV battery is acting up, and no way I can risk being late to the award ceremony or preparty! Not good for Chef! Lol... The Yukon I borrow is lush, but taken tonight by my bosses kids(believe it or not she had more trouble getting into that than the ole Ruby Redrum! Lol)

Some video of this guy.... amazing skills.....

This guy has been a guest of and played for 6 Presidents of the USA, and much more, ..... was an honor to serve him and then meet him. He was so kind to my mom. I said, Mr. Osborne, could we get a picture with ya? He did, and then spoke with us for a bit, and suddenly turned, surprised look, saying, "How are you two knowing each other?" I said, "My hero, Mom and best friend! Was able to bring her here for a part of her 80th Bday Present! ".... He looked at her, then me, then said, "EIGHTYYYYY? C'MONNNNN! I woulda said 50! You better know ppl are gonna think shes your date, she looks so young!"..... JUST A CLASS DUDE! Not enough of that anymore.

Plays at The Venitian, works with the Sinatra family and is a member of the Steinway and Sons Hall of Fame (?) ..... lots of info to remember, trust me! Lol... Masters in Piano.... Like I said, loving Piano like I do,.....was an honor!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 04-10-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha! That's funny flexing out Ruby with your mom inside. Mine would crap kittens if I did something like that, and she's only 60.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice Mark. How does your mom like the new height of the truck. Was she able to get in ok? Weee nice flex shots. Gonna have to put your new leaf springs to the test on the possible big bear trip. Get'er ready
Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
aww she looks awesome an really cool night
Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Ha! That's funny flexing out Ruby with your mom inside. Mine would crap kittens if I did something like that, and she's only 60.
KITTENS? hahahaha..... never heard that one! Totally cracked me up.

Yeah, her voice rose and rose, shouting, "wait, what? WHAT ARE U? WHAAAAT? STOP!" I said, "Awwww, mom, I'm sorry, dont worry, this is nothing. Why are u worried?".... She said, "Ok, I trust u, but hurry up....can't we tip over?" Hahaha.... Do when I took that one pic, shes making a mad/scared posed! WHAT A TROOPER!

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Nice Mark. How does your mom like the new height of the truck. Was she able to get in ok? Weee nice flex shots. Gonna have to put your new leaf springs to the test on the possible big bear trip. Get'er ready
She really loves my truck. Mostly cuz I do, I suspect. She liked ur too tho.... Something about em hahaha. She did ask, "Why does this look taller?".... I told her it is.... then she got right in. The 4runner is set up so her feet can swing in, whereas in the Yukon or Back of the CRV (She wanted to ride in back with her hubby back then)..., she would always have trouble getting her last foot in. She cant turn it too well.... Sad watching her have troubles with anything... So thats why I decides to start looking for an LS 400 or SC 400, maybe Cressida Wagon, Accord, as a second project car? Problem is, I know how I am... THINGS I WORK ON GROW ON ME! LOL.... I want to spend at least a couple hours cruising around pick your part and just figure out which of those cars, even in the American section of, let's say Crown Victorias and stuff, and see what would be the absolute easiest for her to get in and out of , you know? My mom is starting to have trouble with stairs. .... So a 3-4"lifted SAS could pose a problem. MAYBE! Lol. ... SHE LOVES DRIVING IN MY TRUCK! Feels safe to her, and the seats are more comfy than the CRV.

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
aww she looks awesome an really cool night
SHE IS! And it was, .......truly a great evening.

Thanks, guys. I don't mean to take so many turns on the build thread, but I just don't want to open any more threads... I decided a long time ago, when I reached like 14 threads, for different issues, and instructional stuff. Whatever,....it is what it is at this point of 315 pages or so? I'm just grateful to have met so many good people , and shoot the bull with y'all! I've learned a lot too, gotten lots of help with so many things, and then some help two others as well I hope.

Please give me your thoughts regarding a second vehicle to cruise Momz around in? Lol

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 04-10-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Please give me your thoughts regarding a second vehicle to cruise Momz around in? Lol
dont get nothing too low bending down is often harder than climbing up a bit an then getting up an out of a seat thats low to the ground

(past experience with my mom)
Old 04-10-2013, 12:44 PM

Yeah, thats why I figured LS 400 or such. Crown Vicky too. They are GREAT cars, and the Interceptor ones come to PYP ALL THE TIME! Roll momz in a Hot Rod granny wagon! Saw a wagon in that body.last week, NEVER had b4!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM

When she has handles, shes ok for the most part, but getting in whike having to pull up, etc, it sux! She gets in The CRV ok, for now. Just up front with more ease though... and always wants to go in back with others.... so an SC 400 wouldnt work.... maybe I'm just wanting a 1UZ TO RAPE out of it for other secret HYPOTHETICAL projects! Lol
Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM

PS> I cant get into "Post Three Words" thread.... and my phone freaks out when I try/hangs. Also, avast mobile (I have the pay versions of that and malwarebytes, so get to put the pay one on my smarter than me phone as well, lol)....it seems to really resist yotatech at times. Also, every three times, yotatech mobile app wont load.....just goes back to my phones hone screen.....

Just noting it as I might forget, lol
Old 04-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark what about a Subaru Forester? the get in/out height should be just about perfect for her just back in and perch... front seat anyways... also has room to your carry grand daughter in car seat behind + all the gear... fairly good on gas and reliable... also you can get them in a stick though they are hard to find compared to auto box.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the input, Paul! Hmmmmm, a Soobie, interesting. I love the newer ones. Are they difficult to work on? I'm dreading having to do a CV in the CRV. So many are slant mounted now. Looked at a 90-something Camry wagon, it wa s nice. Also an 88 Cressida Wagon.... great cars. Not an "ONLY TOYOTA" thing, or I wouldnt talk Crown Vix, ya know? Lol
Old 04-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Haha, well it's usually a synonym of crap, as I've always heard it.

In my experience so far, the Foresters are pretty easy to work on. Some do have problems, I've found through my research, mostly the head gasket and a couple sensors(knock sensor and O2 seem to be the most common, both easy to get to), and I already changed my front cv's. Easy once I removed the exhaust manifold to get at the passenger side.
Anyway, also depends on your budget. You get one for $1000 like mine, it'll need some work, for sure.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:46 PM

chef. all the parking lot pictures and curb flex makes me think you need to get out on the trails ASAP.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You get any car for $1000 and it's going to need some kinda work lol...
all I've heard is basically what Johnny said... the AWD system in the stick is better than the one in the auto since it is a true 50/50 split front/rear vs. 60/40 for the auto.
Not a major + but the stock radio includes a wx band which accesses all the national broadcast channels from the US and Can. weather services which can be useful for weather alerts and so on... also some have the factory FMU option which includes compass and all those goodies...
when I got rear ended a few years ago and there was some ? of ins. writing off my baby a Subie was on my alternative list and was advised by my mechanic as staunch a yota man as you'll find that subie outback wagons and foresters were about the best alternative from a reliability stand point.

fwiw Subie and Toyota partnered to produce the new Scion sports car [which is one sweet beast I saw one at the dealer].

Last edited by aviator; 04-10-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Haha, well it's usually a synonym of crap, as I've always heard it.

In my experience so far, the Foresters are pretty easy to work on. Some do have problems, I've found through my research, mostly the head gasket and a couple sensors(knock sensor and O2 seem to be the most common, both easy to get to), and I already changed my front cv's. Easy once I removed the exhaust manifold to get at the passenger side.
Anyway, also depends on your budget. You get one for $1000 like mine, it'll need some work, for sure.
Good input again. Amd I've restored soooo many hot rods and others I picked up for Peru cheap. ... but I don't expect 1000 $ deal. .. But I have seen clean Cressida rigs for 700-1400 $, and I know every inch of those. But, well, we'll see. I'll take a peak into those for sure.

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
chef. all the parking lot pictures and curb flex makes me think you need to get out on the trails ASAP.
Hahaha! .... yeah, tell me about it. But alas, Between work and caring for someone elderly who is very needy, ....my ability to get away /have someone cover me is limited. I'm trying to plan something though, and might be able to go with Richard to Big Bear.

Originally Posted by aviator
You get any car for $1000 and it's going to need some kinda work lol...
all I've heard is basically what Johnny said... the AWD system in the stick is better than the one in the auto since it is a true 50/50 split front/rear vs. 60/40 for the auto.
Not a major + but the stock radio includes a wx band which accesses all the national broadcast channels from the US and Can. weather services which can be useful for weather alerts and so on... also some have the factory FMU option which includes compass and all those goodies...
when I got rear ended a few years ago and there was some ? of ins. writing off my baby a Subie was on my alternative list and was advised by my mechanic as staunch a yota man as you'll find that subie outback wagons and foresters were about the best alternative from a reliability stand point.

fwiw Subie and Toyota partnered to produce the new Scion sports car [which is one sweet beast I saw one at the dealer].
Wow, that is interesting, and I dogs know Amboy the new Scion. ...guy up the street has one.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 AM

Oh, did this for the heck of it, ......

Old 04-11-2013, 02:44 AM

Unfortunately Aviator, unless you're referring to some of the newer Foresters, the auto is a 90/10 torque split

Mark, like you aid about the Cressidas you've seen, you've probably got parts in your stockpile that would be useable, too. Given that, I'd say just consider the Subie if you feel the need for a wagon rather than sedan.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:17 AM

Hey, .... does anyone know what happened to that British/UK couple that sold 84-89 softer boots? (Leather in gray or other colors). I found the guy in the USA, Indiana iirc..... , and those come with a metal frame, ready to install. But, those are stitched inside, not outside stitches like original.

I swear that UK COUPLE did outer stitches, maybe even red stitching??

I cant get a url from mobile ebay,.....buy if u just type in "1984-1989 Toyota 4Runner Shifter Boot" ...... the one in gray is what I wad thinking. Just really liked that outside stitching! Grrr! Lol

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread