86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper looks shweet Chef! Hopefully you'll have your 50 dollar answer soon!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 PM

chef! i can't believe i didn't think of this sooner!!! last year i swapped out my '86 engine into the '88 body, and for a while she ran like absolute poop. couldn;t figure it out, no power on hills, horrible milage.... ran thru everything i could think, rechecked the fuel filter (had an extra washer in there limiting fuel), reset the timing about a dozen times (it ran ok advanced to 8 degrees, not at all at the factory 5)... finally after about 4 months of beating the crap out of her, i took it to a garage and had them look it over. compression test came back good, but when we pulled the plugs while it was running, we discovered that 4 wasn't firing, even tho there was spark... so i figured that somehow the injector had gotten clogged or died after the swap... so i got under there and started to look at everything, and i discovered the wires to the injector plug had gotten pulled back in the plug so they weren't making contact with the injector.... all i did was pull the boot back, reseat the wires, tape them in place, replace the boot and reconnect to the injector and voila!! smooth as butter, lol. since yourecently pulled and reinstalled your engine, maybe one of your injector wires got loosened, too. i pulled mine without disassembling anything tho, so it was difficult to get the wiring harness pulled out from under the throttle body. have you tried pulling the spark plug wires while she's running to see if you're firing on all four??
Old 07-29-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Regarding Mileage;

First of all, I've still had trouble figuring out whether my fuel tank is 17.1 or 14.9 Gallons(Not even sure those are the 2 different sizes...just as I recall,....nor can I know if there even were two different tanks available for my truck, lol).

However, I thought about it, yesterday, and figured, "Wait a minute...why not drive for 15 miles or so and then top off again, seeing how much it takes?" I got lucky on the guess, because when I hit the 16.5 Mark on the Odometer, I topped off again and it maxed out at exactly 1.00001 Gallons.

I guess what's important to note here is a few fold;

1.) Before filling up this last time, I had been driving pretty hard, hitting higher RPM's and, well, pretty much "Bleeder Video" style driving all over town. I don't red line it,...I don't mean that. But I do 'get on it', so to speak, quite often. So, this time, I really just babied it(I guess you could call this "how normal people drive", hahaha... At least from what I can tell as I pass them). I don't drive wreckless, ...just a bit more aggressive on the Throttle, you could say.

2.) I also realized that I'd not checked my tires in QUITE a while. Well, they were all pretty much right on the dot at 28#. I KNOW, I KNOW, don't yell at me or throw things... I'd just forgotten, to be honest.(So, Taking the tires being at 28# into account, ...I guess you could say I'm really getting-when I drive mellow- more like 18MPG on the street?

3.) Also important; < Which I KNOW is different for most people, having lived, myself, in places like 'Spokane, WA Outskirts' and Southern Phoenix, ...where there is not a constant 'sea of red'-taillights and stop lights and brake lights> is the fact that, I live in Los Angeles, CA., HOME OF THE 'SEA OF RED' and a stop light that you just happen to hit every 10 seconds. So, all of this driving, ALL OF IT, has been on the street, stop and go, throughout the gears 100 times in one gallon, since I began trying to establish my mileage.

Soooooo, I'm going to fill up, right off the Freeway(another nightmare in Los Angeles Local Proper Cities) at a VERY low traffic time of day. I want to see if I drive 20+ Miles after topping off, ... "Does it take a gallon....OR MORE?"

Having a CA legal LCE header and Cold Air intake, I would think, would increase my mileage a LITTLE BIT.... But I KNOW THAT, having 12 or so missing pounds from my tires wasn't helping, either! lol. We'll see, and I'll post asap what my mileage is.

Still looking for any input on what this 'pup.................pupupupp...........pup...pup. ..' type hiccup is, and I'll be posting this all on my 'Troubleshooting thread' in Yellow, below, as well. LOTS of info there for guys with 'gremlins' who "JUST CAN'T FIND THE DANG PROBLEM"... I've solved MANY, with the help of these great Yotatech Bud's.....
Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 PM

and the bumper looks great btw!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by khat toy
chef! i can't believe i didn't think of this sooner!!! last year i swapped out my '86 engine into the '88 body, and for a while she ran like absolute poop. couldn;t figure it out, no power on hills, horrible milage.... ran thru everything i could think, rechecked the fuel filter (had an extra washer in there limiting fuel), reset the timing about a dozen times (it ran ok advanced to 8 degrees, not at all at the factory 5)... finally after about 4 months of beating the crap out of her, i took it to a garage and had them look it over. compression test came back good, but when we pulled the plugs while it was running, we discovered that 4 wasn't firing, even tho there was spark... so i figured that somehow the injector had gotten clogged or died after the swap... so i got under there and started to look at everything, and i discovered the wires to the injector plug had gotten pulled back in the plug so they weren't making contact with the injector.... all i did was pull the boot back, reseat the wires, tape them in place, replace the boot and reconnect to the injector and voila!! smooth as butter, lol. since yourecently pulled and reinstalled your engine, maybe one of your injector wires got loosened, too. i pulled mine without disassembling anything tho, so it was difficult to get the wiring harness pulled out from under the throttle body. have you tried pulling the spark plug wires while she's running to see if you're firing on all four??
Hey Bud, ....

Well, I'm fairly positive that's not my issue. Sure, I could have a 'BARELY' hanging on wire in the harness or something that's 'iffy', ...but it just runs to dang good, other than that lil pup-pup miss to be a 'non-firing' issue, know what I mean? It's strong, plenty of power, and on downhill grades, when leaving it idle at a higher rpm(you know, when you hear 'SNAP, CRACKLE, POPPPPP', type missing if something like that or otherwise is way off?), it PURRRS. In fact, the only time you can even detect the miss, which is VERY slight, is at idle. However, as slight as it is, ....THANKS TO THOOK making me rethink this :thumb:, ....it could still be enough of a vacuum leak or otherwise to force the 02 or otherwise into a 'lean' mode(due to unmetered air...Right thook? lol), which would cause, most definitely, more fuel consumption...... However, as I stated above... It appears as though(I'll be TRIPLE CHECKING AND VERIFYING THIS!LOL) I'm getting around 17MPG, maybe more in L.A. City Driving Conditions(we'll see how well it does with 42 in the tires instead of 28#, you know?), so I really don't think I have that 'major' of a flaw going on. But thank you for pointing out your experience... THAT'S WHAT I'VE HOPED FOR, regarding my wishes for this thread, even equally to my desire to find my own source of issues---- FOR OTHERS to gain something out of it. Again, THANKS!

Originally Posted by khat toy
and the bumper looks great btw!!!
Thanks alot, Khat! I really appreciate that. It was quite a bit of work, considering how it was pretty bashed in, ....thus, the brackets and, well, EVERYTHING was 'off' so to speak. But I'm really stoked to have her a lil prettier now, lol. I mean, the thing is pretty dang straight on all four sides....so that was just an eye soar! lol. Heck, maybe it was draggin on my mileage, too? hahahaha, jk
Old 07-29-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ra33it
Bumper looks shweet Chef! Hopefully you'll have your 50 dollar answer soon!
Thanks, Ra33it! Yes, hopefully indeed. However, I've decided to try a few more things before I send her in. Things that cost me nothing, of course, ..but that nonethelesss WILL reveal AT LEAST SOMETHING! Whether or not these things will reveal enough to point the way to 'EXACTLY' what's wrong? Who knows...but it can't hurt the chances of 'whomever' looks at it, as far as how much more quickly he can rule things out, ya know?(IF III can't find it, of course, hahaha). Hey, can't say I'm a quitter, right? lol.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:02 PM

Latest in build thread;.... Got Yotatech Sticker! hahaha. ...............

Old 08-04-2010, 06:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
sweet sticker Chef, the rig is looking great man.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 PM

Thanks, Rob! I wish I had a second one that I could go NUTS with, lol. But, alas, I have to make this last... Plus, I really do like the more stock 'look' with a bit more capability involved, lol.

I might be getting tires, soon. We'll see. I have a bit of dry-cracks on these, and while they're still good on tread, ....EEEK! lol. Thought about the Treadwrights, but many people seem leery. I've read pretty good things, ....pretty much all good, but 'would it be better to just go with the 33x10.50x15 BFG MT's? Difference of about 400$ from the 5 Treadwright GardDog MT's(31x10.50) and the aforementioned BFG's. Fhewwwww, ...that's a lotta cabbage, lol. I could paint her with that 400$! lol.

Thanks, again, Rob. I'm happy to sport the YOTATECH LOGO!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:52 PM

Got my tires today, same ones, so no need to change my Sig, lol........

Then I got that sweet deal on this Carrier, ....only to find it was defective! grrrrrrrrr! I took it back today and got another type, raised a bit so I have better clearance on the trails, just wont carry as much weight...which is fine, don't want much on the back, lol. ....This is the defective one, it has a ramp and I could have used my buds bike on it, ...OH WELL! .....

This is an idea of what I'm putting on my console arm rest, to bring it up about 2"....

S'all for now, ...till I get my next carrier together and install it.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-16-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:57 PM

sorry, can't get this pic to load right, I'll take another of the console
Old 08-16-2010, 08:14 PM

Oh yeah, and while he had it up on the lift I inspected my brakes and they were ALL LIKE NEW! Dang, I'm happy I took the time to get new wheel cyl's, calipers, rotors, drums, ..... I was CHOMPING through those pads and shoes quickly before. He asked me, the mechanic, "Hey, did you just do these in the last few weeks?" YEEHAW, lol.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:42 PM

lookin good Chef! I like the sticker, now I am gona have to get one for me!! those tires look good too. I do like the look of the BFG,s. that center console sucks, I am trying to find something to replace mine, I may just make a whole new one out of wood and cover it. I got a sr5 gauge cluster I took it apart to clean and put the milage to the same as mine. i will do a few pics and details probably tommorrow. catch ya later.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:50 PM

Thanks, Cougar! Can't wait to see your progress... and more pics of that area, too! lol.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:52 PM

PS> I took off the lid and that is the metal housing under the padding... I STRIPPED it... and I have padding from Joann's for 3$ or so and Pleather for 4$... So when it's done I'm looking at 7$ damage for the remaned Console Lid! hahaha. Plus, it will now have paddingggggg! Yeah! lol. It had padding, but you know, ...TOTALLY worn down and making an orange shower of foam all over everything, hahaha.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 PM

ChefYota, I just love your 4runner......It's so cleeeeaaaannnn.....
Those are my favorite decals toyota used!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:36 PM

UPDATED 'Troubleshooting thread' in Sig...;

And, THANKS, Lancer! I appreciate that. I like em too. Just really can't decide on whether I'd put them back when repainting. I think it's still clean enough for now, but it's a bit oxidized on the Drivers side(EVERY ONE I'VE HAD did that, no matter which side got more sun!... Must be a glitch with the factory painting machine!!!). Anyway, those decals are BIG BUCKS! If I redid it, I'd definitely have them painted on instead of getting the decals. hahaha
Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Sure is one clean 4Runner you got there!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 PM

Thanks Scoob... Means a lot from a young guru like yourself! lol...

I'm really trying to narrow down the 'gremlin' in my 'Troubleshooting thread' in my sig, ....if you ever have any thoughts, I'd be grateful, man!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
UPDATED 'Troubleshooting thread' in Sig...;

And, THANKS, Lancer! I appreciate that. I like em too. Just really can't decide on whether I'd put them back when repainting. I think it's still clean enough for now, but it's a bit oxidized on the Drivers side(EVERY ONE I'VE HAD did that, no matter which side got more sun!... Must be a glitch with the factory painting machine!!!). Anyway, those decals are BIG BUCKS! If I redid it, I'd definitely have them painted on instead of getting the decals. hahaha
I would definitely get them back on there, I think they kick a$$.
But before you go spending money on paint I think you should give rubbing compound a try; 3M makes a good one and paired with a buffer it should look new!!! My truck was so oxidized it was a dusty pink!!!! But after using meguier's compound by hand a couple of times and some wax afterward it looks good!! Too bad it didn't take care of my rustholes...

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread