86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grego92
I'm always up for fishing and camping! I'll get some quality fishing time while you guys go wheeling
Grego is gonna catch us some dinner! Then mark is gonna cook up some fine fish flillets in the middle of nowheres! Woo

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Dude! sick job on the panels. When can i bring mine over? lol
No but seriously. i like that idea. I'd like to do the same exact thing just with the most rear part of the panels sticking out just 2-ish more inches to be able to make a compartment for some junk. Just so long as it doesnt pass the roll cage ya know. I dunno. Thats alot to think about. cuz i would really like to add a full interior rollage from 4x innovations in the future.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
That is a great job and the video's were awesome, but I want the starburst.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good Mark but I think you need to come up with some kind of clip/holster for your tire Iron/breaker bar... in an accident that could hurt someone and it might also make it more accessible for use as a club in case some brigand should accost you in the parking lot...
liked those peppermint falls looks like a nice place to get romantic with the gf... just not on a holiday weekend according to the article. lol...
looks like a very nice 'hood to live in mark... I find myself a little green...

hmm speaking of green what's everyone doing for St. Patrick's weekend?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Even the driveway looks pimp!!!
Yep, .... but my driveway has character.... I mean stains, ...eh chemm, I mean... hahaha... And it has RUBY-REDRUM IN IT! haha.

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Nice rides!!! Should've parked the runner next to it haha

What did 4WP say......
Hmmmmmmmmm, next post! hehehe.

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
awesome vids mark um hey ya got dust in the vents lol WHIRRR dust! LOL

i need to replace the thermo coil thing im missing a speed on my fan once i get things moving

like the mood light an good looking speakers

did ya happen to give thought of a 12vt socket for like a cooler back there?
Thanks, William... Always appreciate your stopping in! .... And the props, grateful. ....

Yeah, I'm thinking about cleaning the Evaporator and maybe some vent'dusting... But overall, they're not THAT bad. The Vent/Recirculating chamber.... that foam? NASTY! Heater takes LONG TIME to heat up.... ME NO LIKEY, lol... But I mention it as it's likely going to be a hot, nasty summer job on the ole Ruby! lol.

Grabbed that Blower Resistor at Rock Auto... Posted up the part number, etc., a few back. Just have to make sure on the speeds, how many, and just order it up.... rockauto.com newsletter always sends me 5% at least coupons... It was like 10$ shipped, IIRC? Can probably get it locally, if that's feasible for ya?

Far as the socket... Way ahead of ya..... I've run it off my Marine Block and will be having it split at the tire carrier and run one to the inside of the bumper and one coming out of the panel(they're all waterproof, even the one in my dash[My thinking in that was that if I spill something..... Well, you get the point. Why not take ALL the variables of hypothetical catastrophe out of the picture, right? haha...] ). Just have to decide exactly how to mount it.

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Grego is gonna catch us some dinner! Then mark is gonna cook up some fine fish flillets in the middle of nowheres! Woo

Dude! sick job on the panels. When can i bring mine over? lol
No but seriously. i like that idea. I'd like to do the same exact thing just with the most rear part of the panels sticking out just 2-ish more inches to be able to make a compartment for some junk. Just so long as it doesnt pass the roll cage ya know. I dunno. Thats alot to think about. cuz i would really like to add a full interior rollage from 4x innovations in the future.
Hahaha.... Fish Filet's, anyone? "NOOOOO, WE WANT STEAKS!" HAHAHA. jk... Sounds good, I'M GAME! And, well, I'm REALLY looking forward to a trip that's not all wheeling, as Grego was hinting at, lol. ALSO looking forward to a trip that IS mostly wheeling, with lots of hot springs involved and such as well.

Thanks alot, Richard... I'm really happy, but wait til you see them totally finished. I've decided to change up a couple things. The door will be risen, but not dramatically... just for sealing purposes and for REALLY secure closure. Also, the hinges I'm going to use are fairly taught spring loaders... that will be nice. Will also have a chain keep on them, etc. All that stuff is things I've had for a while. CAN'T WAIT to finish them!

NO PROBLEM, grab a couple sheets of Birch Ply and GET OVA HEAHHH! haha.

Originally Posted by ksti
That is a great job and the video's were awesome, but I want the starburst.
Thanks, Ksti! Hahaha.... Yeah, my daughter left them and I KEPT EM! hehehe.

Originally Posted by aviator
Looks good Mark but I think you need to come up with some kind of clip/holster for your tire Iron/breaker bar... in an accident that could hurt someone and it might also make it more accessible for use as a club in case some brigand should accost you in the parking lot...
liked those peppermint falls looks like a nice place to get romantic with the gf... just not on a holiday weekend according to the article. lol...
looks like a very nice 'hood to live in mark... I find myself a little green...

hmm speaking of green what's everyone doing for St. Patrick's weekend?
Been thinking that one out.... It's a MUST have on all my trips/anywhere I go pretty much... The 21MM Deep Impact Socket is in my Console..... along with other things that would DESTROY said 'Brigand'! lol.

Find yer green? hahahaha.

St. Patties? Used to be like this, when I drank like a fish.......

Name:  St.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  4.1 KB

Hehehe....

NOW, .... I think anything like this would be good, with me sober....

Name:  St.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  46.7 KB

Haaha.... Meh, .... I got no plans,

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-12-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 PM

OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK, ...... thought I was gonna just stop and take a break, RIGHT? ...........WRONNNNNNNNNNG! haha.....

Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Thanks, William... Always appreciate your stopping in! .... And the props, grateful. ....

Yeah, I'm thinking about cleaning the Evaporator and maybe some vent'dusting... But overall, they're not THAT bad. The Vent/Recirculating chamber.... that foam? NASTY! Heater takes LONG TIME to heat up.... ME NO LIKEY, lol... But I mention it as it's likely going to be a hot, nasty summer job on the ole Ruby! lol.

Grabbed that Blower Resistor at Rock Auto... Posted up the part number, etc., a few back. Just have to make sure on the speeds, how many, and just order it up.... rockauto.com newsletter always sends me 5% at least coupons... It was like 10$ shipped, IIRC? Can probably get it locally, if that's feasible for ya?

Far as the socket... Way ahead of ya..... I've run it off my Marine Block and will be having it split at the tire carrier and run one to the inside of the bumper and one coming out of the panel(they're all waterproof, even the one in my dash[My thinking in that was that if I spill something..... Well, you get the point. Why not take ALL the variables of hypothetical catastrophe out of the picture, right? haha...] ). Just have to decide exactly how to mount it.

ok so they're not hugely expensive LOL i need one for my ol 79 as well i jury rigged a resistor on there so i could have 1 speed at least and the control cables dont do all the options so who knows i might do some work on the old thing with her flintstone brakes lol

went lookin at rockauto prices seem to be a lot cheaper but havent checked to see how they do on shipping yet

Hmm that looks like fun! WELL hello there ladies! how ya'll doin?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 PM

WHOOHOOO marks parts came in LOL those are some serious lookin springs
Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 PM

I'm going to be picking up some L-trim to Shell mounting screws, tomorrow, from Toyota, as I lost one of the sides of them...... ........ 2$ EACH!

Then I will be doing an access door final take/fastening the d-rings for tie downs(so I can fix things to the side, out of the way, and KEEP THEM THERE, when wheeling, etc. Or just to hold certain supplies still from day to day life.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any ideas on some Roof Rack lighting/maybe a couple a-hole lights, etc. Saw a KICK ARSE 3rd Gen today, full expedition ready... and he had 2 lights under the rear bumper, looked like magnified LED blinding lil buggers... Saw something similar at PepBoys today.... Hmmmm... Would love to keep this WITHIN REASON on the expense factor, ya know?

If ANYONE sees any 4wd bumpers that I'm missing... please let me know. I'm not sure what I want still... but I really LOVE the ARB's, TG style.... 4XI rear, .... CBI's stuff.... (although I don't have welding equipment and I wouldn't wanna wait for months for someone to help with that/nor spend 100's with someone I don't know, lol.... Can't really afford it, soooo, yeah. lol)..

Gonna try to burp my coolant, ..........AGAIN! lol.... See if I can't get rid of the Gurgling. I would imagine, even if I do manage to get some air out.... it will probably not make the heater much hotter than it is(WHICH ISN'T LIKE IT WAS 5 YEARS AGO, where it burnt me nearly! lol.. now it's 10 minutes to 'REALLY .....warm', lol.

Any thoughts on anything, guys, PLEASE? Thanks!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:18 PM

They're Bugeyed all full of Bugger you up GREEN BEER, ....and the goggles that goes with said onslaught! lol. JK.... But in all seriousness..... The one on the bottom left! hehe..

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-12-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 AM

all i can think mark is to try one of them flush n fill kits or a barbed T with a small ball valve on it to let any air in the heater hose to get into the T an then you can crack it let the air out an close it again the T of course with the bottom up to catch the airbubbles it'd certainly keep your hands safer

lights on that too cool roof rack you could check HF see what LED kinds they have to keep the cost down
Old 03-13-2013, 10:38 AM

Thanks, William. I have a t-valve up by the booster are of the heater hosing. If I remember correctly, the directions of fluid flow is right to left when facing the firewall in regards to the heater core. Right? Hahaha... I believe the T is before the end section off the heater core. I'll take pictures, but I need to replace that anyhow as its at least 150,000 miles old. The funny thing is, that thing has never lied to drop but the hoses are leaking at the very back of the driver side timing cover hard coolant line that goes up into the heater core. I might want to relocate is well, and actually, I think I have plenty of pictures on here that I can post what up really quick as to where the location of that thing is... Thanks for bringing that up! I'm not sure if it has a ball valve or not, I think it's just a tease to plug into with a special type of hose fitting for flushing. My coolant is fairly new, but I don't care about losing any if it would help get rid of this miss!

I have to swap out those heater core hoses anyhow, and at this point, I think I'm just going to get OEM. I have to go to the dealer today anyway to pick up some of the L trim to Shell screws, as I lost several of them. I'm going to look 1 more time really well all over my garage, but I think I stashed them, in other words, add them for myself! Hahahaha. I hate that! Lol. Well I'm down there I can ask him on a price, because the coolant hoses have such odd angles to them up by the firewall, etcetera. When I do this I will also replace the heater control valve, if I find that it's an exact swap over to my original bracket, because it just simply opens and closes so much more easily, it's a much more simple design with plastic housing. I know the valve I have is open all the way but the times that I'm finding the heater is not very hot. It's gotta be the heater core, because it eventually gets pretty darn hot, but it's really gotta warm up quite a bit in order to get there. So, whether its some giant pocket of air stuck in there, which I doubt or might happen to be just plugged up, I'm pretty sure it's the problem. The funny thing is, when I get the flush test on the heater core with the garden hose, it seemed to flow without any obstruction at all, and I mean Flow! So, that kind of leaves me puzzled as to why it won't generate heat quickly enough. Another problem could be, I suppose, my thermostat just isn't hot enough. It's OEM, and fairly new, within 10,000 miles. So I'm just not sure that's the problem either.

I want to finish up the panels, trim, add the tie downs and other do hickeys on the panels themselves, add the switch and turn the deck lamp constant hot, so I will probably just run down and get those screws. I can't believe that they are 2 dollars each, maybe more. I tried everything the specialized hardware store had, and it's a very special almost no angle thread pitch with the self reaming tip and channel down the threads on the side. Weird. But obviously they work, because they all still screw in without any problems. All ask him while I'm down there about the heater core hoses and get back to you all. I mean, I've already replaced 90 percent of the vacuum hoses and the like with factory or better, so why not do the entire rig that way, right?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:40 AM

See the t-valve?..........

Name:  007-25.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  199.9 KB
Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^That's way too clean You have any plans on replacing that master cylinder with a bigger one?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 AM

Yea i agree that is a clean eng bay. Where you get the plug wire looms??
Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 AM

Oooooooh, u missed it! Lol.... Did the full V6 brake upgrade with S13WB calipers, 94 1" bore nasyer and dual diaphragm booster, drilled and slotted v6 rotors and it stops LIKE IT SHOULD! But I recommend the 1"bore masyer alone for anyone who's w/out it! CRAZY stopping power. Lil stabby without the larger calipers, but I think plenty!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 AM

Name:  20130219_144054.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  2.10 MB

Name:  20130216_161931.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  2.02 MB
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 PM

what ome shocks you running?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 246 Likes on 184 Posts
Hey chef somewhere amongst the million pages of your build you did a OME stabilizer, what was the reason for it and did you notice a diff? I can get a good deal on the stabilizer but not sure if its worth the hassle.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Hey chef somewhere amongst the million pages of your build you did a OME stabilizer, what was the reason for it and did you notice a diff? I can get a good deal on the stabilizer but not sure if its worth the hassle.

Not really any hassle, and thats from a 2wd guy that can't hardly touch anything under it without putting his on stands

Night and day difference between the old worn down and new ones. It'll glide right over manhole and other street crap.

Not to answer for him of course. But it's on my list of front end stuff that needs done before I go for a full alignment
Old 03-13-2013, 03:29 PM

yeah that ones on the side of a line goin into the heater core i was thinking up near the heater control valve itself HIGH above the lines where air would go to like a T then a short piece of hose an then the heater control valve that way the air will go into the T an can be drained off

burp the baby you have the head up belly down ... LOL

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread