86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
PROJECT CON-FERR/THULE.... DONE!
Now that you're the owner of a "Thule" product, how do you pronounce it?

I've heard "toolee", "tool", "thool", and "tooluh"! It bugs me that I don't know the right way to say it and from what I've read it's actually pronounced "tooluh" just like Porsche is pronounced "porsha"... Who knows.. lol
Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Back in the days, the ball and chain (my wifey) and I were always up in the kern.
We always camped below the One Lane Bridge.
It was beer:30 all the time up there.
If I went up there today, I would probably break a hip. lol
Old 03-10-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NickMiller
Now that you're the owner of a "Thule" product, how do you pronounce it?

I've heard "toolee", "tool", "thool", and "tooluh"! It bugs me that I don't know the right way to say it and from what I've read it's actually pronounced "tooluh" just like Porsche is pronounced "porsha"... Who knows.. lol
Hahahaa..... Didn't see that question coming, lol.... I've always pronounced it "THOOL", ......... but was told it's "TH-YULE" and "TOOL", just like yourself, lol. Never heard "TOOL-EE", lol....

Not sure, but thought, since I'm an INFO JUNKY, maybe this would interest people too.....

"The Thule Brand

The Thule brand was established in Sweden in 1942. Thule is a premium brand used globally for a wide assortment of products with a focus on solving the problem of how to bring equipment with you when using a car (roof racks, bike and water sport carriers, roof boxes). There are also other product areas such as accessories for recreational vehicles, trailers for active life (horses, boats, etc), snow chains and luggage.
Thule is the largest brand in the Thule Group.

With its origins in Sweden, Thule is now a truly global brand
In 1942, Thule was founded by the Thulin family, when Erik Thulin, a true lover of the outdoors, put the Thule name on a Pike Trap that he designed and began selling to the fisherman of Scandinavia. It wasn’t long before he added other practical things to his company’s portfolio. Business boomed, gaining profitably year after year.
By the 1960s, the company began to concentrate its business on car-related products, and before long the first roof rack was born. New product categories were added in the ‘70s and new markets were opened worldwide (e.g. US, Japan).
The Thulin family sold Thule to the publicly listed company Eldon in 1979. It continued to grow both organically and through acquisitions (trailers and rooftop box manufacturing), and Thule has been in growth mode ever since. New markets have been opened, product categories have been launched and several companies have joined.
In 2004, the Thule Group acquired Italian snow chain manufacturer König. An ensuing close collaboration resulted in a series of Thule branded snow chains for passenger cars. A year later, in 2005, RV Accessories company Omnistor was added to the Thule Group portfolio and integrated with Thule.
By acquiring towing systems company Brink in 2006, Thule Group added yet another product range to its portfolio. This integration has resulted in a series of towbars and bike carrier solutions.
Since 2007, Case Logic has been part of Thule Group. As a consequence of the collaboration between Thule and business area Carry Solutions, a range of Thule branded luggage, bags and cases was launched in 2010."

Originally Posted by ksti
Back in the days, the ball and chain (my wifey) and I were always up in the kern.
We always camped below the One Lane Bridge.
It was beer:30 all the time up there.
If I went up there today, I would probably break a hip. lol
OH MAN, ..... I'm telling ya... In spring, when the hillsides are LIT UP in Purple and Yellow SHEETS of wildflowers.... When it's just GORGEOUS!... There's nearly no place I'd rather be. Wheeling around Lake Isabella and Onyx all day... Then heading back to camp for a Soak in the Miracle Hot Springs by Hobo Campground... Snow falling on my head in winter, while soaking in the steamy HOT Upper Pools... Then spending a full day playing in the River/Rapids runs, etc..... HOWEVER, .... I often found myself saying, "Hmmm, LET'S GO!" and head over Kennedy Meadows, over the Sierras from the 178hwy over to the 395hwy... Then head up to Olancha and camp in the dunes or up in one of the mines that we TOTALLY restored and reinforced with 12x12 Beams we found laying around, preserved under the dirt.... Where we made beds, etc. (I will get pics up for y'all one day... Have LOTS of digging to do to find them, and simply don't have time, ya know? )

Then from there I'd go on to the Mt. Whitney Portal for the day, and then on to Tinnemaha near Big Pine for the next camp, near Keough, ... Then a couple days there... Then on to Auburn, CA, North American Fork River for a couple days, during Butterfly Mating season(IT'S INSANE, thousands of them on our colorful tent[and in my grill and windshield! lol] )... Just BEAUTIFUL Canyons/Wilderness up there. I could spend a month there, easily! Then on to the Coast, to camp in Santa Cruz Mountains... GORGEOUS! Then on to the Carpenteria, CA, State Beach Camping on the beach for the Avocado Festival at the Carpenteria Boardwalk! YUMMO!

I would camp there for a few days, with pay-hot-showers and restrooms, surf or board a bit, then head home. This would usually take me all 2 weeks of my Vacation and leave me REALLY sad that I had to go home. I did these trips alone, after my Divorce.... And it was the most independent spirit-inspiring time of my life. It CHANGED ME, because before, I would NEVER have gone camping alone... But this helped me to become comfortable in my own skin, no matter the circumstances, etc. To enjoy my own company and learn the true meaning of "Peace, ..... be still!", lol.

I LOVE Water Skiing, Jet Skiing, spent many years every early May for the Budweiser Boat Races on The Colorado in Laughlin, partying ALLLL night, hitting Losers lounge, etc.... I love Camping in big groups, ...... I guess I've just never been one for NEEDING that, each time. Actually, I like those types to be occasional.. And DO love them, as said. Course, .... I don't party any longer, period.... So that's a lil factor as well. lol.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just camped up in kernville for whiskey flats days. Fully clothed and in sleeping bags at night but perfect weather in the day. Good times
Old 03-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

OH MAN, ..... I'm telling ya... In spring, when the hillsides are LIT UP in Purple and Yellow SHEETS of wildflowers.... When it's just GORGEOUS!... There's nearly no place I'd rather be. Wheeling around Lake Isabella and Onyx all day... Then heading back to camp for a Soak in the Miracle Hot Springs by Hobo Campground... Snow falling on my head in winter, while soaking in the steamy HOT Upper Pools... Then spending a full day playing in the River/Rapids runs, etc..... HOWEVER, .... I often found myself saying, "Hmmm, LET'S GO!" and head over Kennedy Meadows, over the Sierras from the 178hwy over to the 395hwy... Then head up to Olancha and camp in the dunes or up in one of the mines that we TOTALLY restored and reinforced with 12x12 Beams we found laying around, preserved under the dirt.... Where we made beds, etc. (I will get pics up for y'all one day... Have LOTS of digging to do to find them, and simply don't have time, ya know? )

Then from there I'd go on to the Mt. Whitney Portal for the day, and then on to Tinnemaha near Big Pine for the next camp, near Keough, ... Then a couple days there... Then on to Auburn, CA, North American Fork River for a couple days, during Butterfly Mating season(IT'S INSANE, thousands of them on our colorful tent[and in my grill and windshield! lol] )... Just BEAUTIFUL Canyons/Wilderness up there. I could spend a month there, easily! Then on to the Coast, to camp in Santa Cruz Mountains... GORGEOUS! Then on to the Carpenteria, CA, State Beach Camping on the beach for the Avocado Festival at the Carpenteria Boardwalk! YUMMO!

I would camp there for a few days, with pay-hot-showers and restrooms, surf or board a bit, then head home. This would usually take me all 2 weeks of my Vacation and leave me REALLY sad that I had to go home. I did these trips alone, after my Divorce.... And it was the most independent spirit-inspiring time of my life. It CHANGED ME, because before, I would NEVER have gone camping alone... But this helped me to become comfortable in my own skin, no matter the circumstances, etc. To enjoy my own company and learn the true meaning of "Peace, ..... be still!", lol.

I LOVE Water Skiing, Jet Skiing, spent many years every early May for the Budweiser Boat Races on The Colorado in Laughlin, partying ALLLL night, hitting Losers lounge, etc.... I love Camping in big groups, ...... I guess I've just never been one for NEEDING

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We used to rent out the whole place at June Lake (Reverse Creek Lodge)
About 60 of us loud music, broken windows, fights, pranking all weekend.
It was the best of times, sorry I wish I had pictures, but I was just to busy making trouble, drinking beer, smoking cigarettes and LMAO!

But the best was catching fresh trout, fileting it and cooking it right on the lake with Normandie butter in between a fresh Western Bagel (sesame) and a cold beer------------- didn't matter what time it was oh man! I'm going fishing

Not my pics but you get the idea

Man, I miss those day's and my friendships with so many people.
These days I hang out at the shuffle board tournaments and drink Metamucil, WRONG! ---- I'm going to get a sixer of Mickey's Big Mouths right now!
Don't forget to post up pic's Mark
Let's get some of the guys and go fishing someday, it will be a hoot!
There's nothing like a big fire, good music, great food, party materials and camping. I'm going!

Last edited by ksti; 03-10-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:12 PM

Woooooot! .... update later! Lol

Honest, cant until I upload the video and pics, but got to something that was reallllly bugging me for a while.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:13 PM

GREAT post, btw, KSTI! Will respond afterbfinally eating, lol
Old 03-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Your gonna make me wait, darn you mark! Haha, i'd guess your coolant problem majiggy, but with a video.....hmmmm i don't know....

Finished insulating or redesigned your rear cargo door? Guess ill have to wait and see.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Woooooot! .... update later! Lol

Honest, cant until I upload the video and pics, but got to something that was reallllly bugging me for a while.
gets popcorn an jumbo soda

waits...

OK start the MOVIE ALREADY!!

waits...
Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ksti

Let's get some of the guys and go fishing someday, it will be a hoot!
There's nothing like a big fire, good music, great food, party materials and camping. I'm going!
I'm always up for fishing and camping! I'll get some quality fishing time while you guys go wheeling
Old 03-10-2013, 08:49 PM

Haha, sorry Dakota....

Just a minute.....

Can't wait to fish again, Grego, and Whomever wants to go, YES, please, let's make a trip to the Sierras or Sequoias for some fishing and camping and wheeling too, GREGO! Lol. .. jk, u do wut makes u happy, s' all that matters!

Popcorn and Giant soda, Hahaha
Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 PM

CLIMATE CONTROL ASSEMBLY SWAP: CHECK!

I spent a lil time going over some of my yard pics of when I removed the assembly without removing anything but the radio bezel, ashtray, clock and a couple other things.

As I showed in a previous pic or two, the climate control assembly I had was messed up. What I didnt see was that the PO had been in there before me.... And, as with a couple other things, in his brilliant wisdom, he mickeyoused witj zip ties and caused the whole thing ro implode, eventually......

How its supposed to look....

Name:  20130309_122917.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  2.36 MB

His terrible idea before he sold it....

Name:  20130310_153506.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  2.07 MB

Anyway.... this video is all over, but I will do another, 2mrw, for reasons I'll explain, later........

Routing to right of radio....

Name:  20130310_161957.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  1.07 MB

Routing to left of radio.......

Name:  20130310_161942.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  2.00 MB

tomorrow, I will have to pull some of it, very little, in order to put in a new bulb, duh! Hahahaha. I know, I know... And to replace the switch for fan control.... I should have noticed while simply messing with the replacement assembly that the donor switch was only 3 speeds... Yes, I'm doing a face palm, don't worry! He he he... I'm not positive, but I think I routed the white Multi vent cable through the wrong hole... It will work where it is, but I don't like the angle, and the whole point is to get this to work for pretty much the rest of my life hahaha. Also I think I can replace the fan switch without removing the whole assembly, it looks pretty simple, I just removing the ashtray and popping off the cover that I have to remove anyway in order to replace the light, then unscrew the 2 screws that are holding it in, disconnected, and connect the proper wire

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-10-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:58 PM

nice info on the vid (tosses empty popcorn bucket over shoulder)
im wondering how bad mine is the faceplate i got a new used one from redeth its all polished an cleaned up need to replace the bulb in mine too
Old 03-11-2013, 01:21 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Great stuff!

You were pointing at the air chamber when you said you looked for heater core leaks Left to right it's "air box" "heater/ac chamber" and "fan", if you have leaks they tend to be in the passenger side. Not 100% sure where your fan resistor is, think it's on the backside at the bottom, but might be on the top or P-side of the heater box also. The trick to getting the face plate off w/o damage is to undo atleast one of the clips in the center, for my 90's era go thru cupholder for the older style (if you have them?) should be able to release it thru that hole beneath.

And now a slight detour. The 90's era face plates the A/C switch is a slide in item that prevents the faceplate from slipping out easily, does anyone have a trick to getting these out without using the faceplate to leverage them out. My faceplate is starting to get a bit of a twist to it where the thin parts are around the clock. Maybe a hole under the switch or something that doesn't involve grabbing it with a pair of pliers?

And back on subject.. youtube might have done away with the 15minute time limit on your account, I think the only way to find out however is to try and post one that is longer. It was a behind the scene kind of change they didn't make a big hoopla about it, some got it some didn't not recalling any other way to check..
Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
nice info on the vid (tosses empty popcorn bucket over shoulder)
im wondering how bad mine is the faceplate i got a new used one from redeth its all polished an cleaned up need to replace the bulb in mine too
Haha. ..... Let the dog luck or clean, right? Lol. Bulb is cake, as you know. ... The climate assembly swap? More like ...a Napoleon? Hehe. Actually, I'd help anyone who needs it, if they wanna come by... Not that bad. .. just gimme a couple hours. Mine was allllll busted up, 4 places.

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Great stuff!

You were pointing at the air chamber when you said you looked for heater core leaks Left to right it's "air box" "heater/ac chamber" and "fan", if you have leaks they tend to be in the passenger side. Not 100% sure where your fan resistor is, think it's on the backside at the bottom, but might be on the top or P-side of the heater box also. The trick to getting the face plate off w/o damage is to undo atleast one of the clips in the center, for my 90's era go thru cupholder for the older style (if you have them?) should be able to release it thru that hole beneath.

And now a slight detour. The 90's era face plates the A/C switch is a slide in item that prevents the faceplate from slipping out easily, does anyone have a trick to getting these out without using the faceplate to leverage them out. My faceplate is starting to get a bit of a twist to it where the thin parts are around the clock. Maybe a hole under the switch or something that doesn't involve grabbing it with a pair of pliers?

And back on subject.. youtube might have done away with the 15minute time limit on your account, I think the only way to find out however is to try and post one that is longer. It was a behind the scene kind of change they didn't make a big hoopla about it, some got it some didn't not recalling any other way to check..
Yeah, I changed one in a pickup (heater core), and an evaporater box clean up or 2. I was on top to the right of the radio cuz I've seen a nasty couple leak outs froom the top where the lines enter it. .... and I've had a bit of gurgling lately and a not so hot heat until 10 Min or so.

Did the blower motor resistor a few months ago.... video, etc.... Roger/4crrawler threw up the part #/write up in his 'cheap tricks'.....

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...BlowerResistor

90's/2nd Gen 4Runner is different in the dash realm in many ways... The climate panel clips in a lil differently/clock is opposite/no cup holder in first gens (in 2nd gens, all the goodies are set higher which leave room for the cupholder to clear shifter, etc.)

2nd gen....

http://m604.photobucket.com/image/91....jpg.html?o=13

http://m298.photobucket.com/image/90...6.jpg.html?o=5

1st gen. ...

Name:  20130312_000537.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  3.01 MB

The radio in mine is around 3.5" from the floor. I can see the 2nd gen being a bit more difficult in dealing with the climate assembly.... but I've not messed with the 89 PU I had. ... So I can't say fo-sho. Hehe.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:06 AM

Well, last 24 hrs were really rewarding in completing things that I thought would take me lots longer....

The climate control assembly actually wound up being fun... Well, ok, rewarding, as I said, haha. Did two more videos.... Didn't wind up exactly as I wanted, but that's ok.....The second is taking forever to process, so I'm gonna post just this one for now........

Also finished up most of the cargo redo now, and I have my red/"mood"(hehe) light installed.... Still have to install my rear window cargo switch (back of console), hot wire the deck lamp,..... add some anchor hooks/tie downs, ..... but its nearly there!......

Name:  20130311_174319.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  2.84 MB

Name:  20130311_174352.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  2.80 MB

Name:  20130311_174249.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  1.07 MB

Name:  20130312_000650.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  1.06 MB

Name:  20130312_000901.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  1.66 MB

Name:  20130312_000941.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  972.4 KB

Lil video......

A buddy, RAD4Runner dropped by 2day... picked up that tire for his new spare.... While here, I walked him over to check out my neighbors rides..... DROOL! The Vette is his friends... The GT is his....

Name:  20130311_092949.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  3.26 MB

Name:  20130311_093128.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  2.52 MB

Name:  20130311_093251.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  2.27 MB

Name:  20130311_094143.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  3.19 MB

Name:  20130311_094122.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  3.33 MB

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-12-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 AM

Holy-smack me in the mug and call me Penelope!!!.......I MUST be imagining. ...... just got a call from 4wheelparts. .... FINALFREAKINLY!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 AM

Received 246 Likes on 184 Posts
Even the driveway looks pimp!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 AM

Nice rides!!! Should've parked the runner next to it haha

What did 4WP say......
Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 AM

awesome vids mark um hey ya got dust in the vents lol WHIRRR dust! LOL

i need to replace the thermo coil thing im missing a speed on my fan once i get things moving

like the mood light an good looking speakers

did ya happen to give thought of a 12vt socket for like a cooler back there?

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread