86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yeah, MEK is baaaad baaaaad stuff. Jet A is pretty fun to use to mess with people, though.

You and whoever get up here before fire season starts(for me, pretty much when the ship gets here in late may) and I'll be here and easy to find. Except maybe early April. Seeing my girl keeps getting pushed back, and if I don't see her soon I won't until Fall!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like an amazing time! Thanks for posting all the pics and videos with detailed background.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 AM

Sounds like you had a blast at TDS! I went with family to last years 50th anniversary one and it was SOOO much fun... I'm contemplating if the 4Runner will make the journey from the PNW for next years TDS... lol!

When I was there last year, I watched a guy roll his built FJ40 on its debut run... I felt SOOO bad since it looked like the rig was totaled and I felt even worse when I saw the FJ on a trailer behind a steaming motorhome on the side of the freeway while on the way home. It was just NOT that guy's weekend

I'll have to find the pic of the totalled FJ40, but I do have this pic of some of the rigs there!

Name:  462974_398343943517895_880369958_o_zpsfb68234c.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  43.9 KB
Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ocell
Looks like an amazing time! Thanks for posting all the pics and videos with detailed background.
My pleasure,..... and I figure a lil more description never HURTS anyone, right?

Next time I go anywhere, including pismo, it will be with my cam mounted(like in the Angeles Crest trip videos) or a GoPro... But for some, u just need someone outside, shooting, ya know? BUT,....that would be, at high temps, with steep hills every 100 feet and crazy riders/bikers/wheelers all around u, flyyyyying by,.... a lot of crazy/dangerous camera work at that place! Hahaha

I'm really glad Richard rolled with me 4a lil while... Good talks and helpful to have a second perspective on some of that hairy stuff! Haha....

Originally Posted by NickMiller
Sounds like you had a blast at TDS! I went with family to last years 50th anniversary one and it was SOOO much fun... I'm contemplating if the 4Runner will make the journey from the PNW for next years TDS... lol!

When I was there last year, I watched a guy roll his built FJ40 on its debut run... I felt SOOO bad since it looked like the rig was totaled and I felt even worse when I saw the FJ on a trailer behind a steaming motorhome on the side of the freeway while on the way home. It was just NOT that guy's weekend

I'll have to find the pic of the totalled FJ40, but I do have this pic of some of the rigs there!
Wow, wut a bummer! And yeahhhh!!!.....woulda been great if u could have joined us.

Yeah, u should post those pics in ur thread so we can check em out.... did u already?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-05-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Mark, your conferr-rack turned out AWESOME!!! Totally clean install man, nice job! I'm going to have to refer back to your thread whenever I go to mount mine! (someday) Looks like you and Richard had a great trip, looked like alot of fun, thanks for sharing the pics!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to do this trip. I didn't even know about it!!

Jealous!

51st one too, looks like the odds are in my favour of them having another in a few couple years eh.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 03-05-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

Wow, wut a bummer! And yeahhhh!!!.....woulda been great if u could have joined us.

Yeah, u should post those pics in ur thread so we can check em out.... did u already?
Nahh, I didn't post any pics... I only had like 2 since my phone camera sucked and they were of other people's 4Runners since I wasn't in mine

I wonder how much it would cost to rent a uhaul trailer to bring the 4Runner down?

BTW the conferr rack and sliders look sick!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MEK is fun... cleans stuff good and gets you stoned at the same time... a 2fer ...

Now for real fun you need to mess around with Skydrol... omit washing your hands real well before a head call and Oh yeah you'll know it...
Old 03-06-2013, 09:03 AM

Poser shots! Lol. Well, actually, saw this while picking up a food order and figured, " hmmmmm, lookie there " hahaha....

Name:  20130305_154538.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  2.03 MB

Name:  20130305_154521.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  2.07 MB

Name:  20130305_154455.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  2.24 MB

Name:  20130305_154432.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  1.57 MB
Old 03-06-2013, 09:24 AM

Woooo flexy like. more then i can do haha

So mark what do you have planned for your shexshy beast of a truck next? Other then finish that passenger side door panel of course!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 AM

Hey Richard! hahaha.... That always reminds me of 'Fat B*&$#rd' on Austin Powers, .... "Oooooh, I'm Shexayyyyy!" hehe.

Hmmmm, ..... well, I have to;

1. Do the Rear Panel on Passenger side, as you mentioned(and add OEM 2nd Gen Tie Down Eye's to them/the panels.... You know, the 4 we all have on the floor?)

2. Do the repair of the climate control cables and bracket/apparatus.... I can see that the blue/gate cable has come free from the lever on the actual apparatus that's fixed in the dash front. .... Lots of this is due to the Heater Core Valve being really sticky.... The other part is likely the cable itself being really stuck. BUT I'MA FIX IT! hahaha.

3. Heater Control Valve Swap to 89 and up 4Runner type Plastic Housing Valve... As mentioned above^^^

4. Install OMEmu 2" CS009R Leaf Packs and 1.5" Grease-able Shackles

5. Work on some touching up on the roof rack side rails, then possibly paint the Con-Ferr with Hammered Black...... ?????? GUYS ??????

6. Figure out LPSV Extending ????????????????

7. Possibly grab some extended brake lines ???????

8. I'll see what level of rake I have after the Leaf Packs Swap, ....... then decide if I need to do something more with the Front End, via Lift, etc. I WILL NOT spend lots of money on this..... So, I might have to think about larger BJ Spacers, etc. I want to do all I can to keep it relaxed up front as possible. Right now, as I'm sure Richard and Fabby can tell ya.... it's a pretty smooth/flexy ride, without TONS of the normal IFS 'rocking back and forth' over burms, etc...... OR, ... who knows what I'll do!!!

9. Touch up sliders from a couple grindings this last weekend....

10. Redo a list as I've forgotten half of what I was doing?????? hahahaha.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by NickMiller
Nahh, I didn't post any pics... I only had like 2 since my phone camera sucked and they were of other people's 4Runners since I wasn't in mine

I wonder how much it would cost to rent a uhaul trailer to bring the 4Runner down?

BTW the conferr rack and sliders look sick!
Ahhhh, I see, gotcha..... I had that camera phone, as well, up to a few months ago.....IOW, IT'S PICS SUCKED!!!!! HAHAHA.

Not sure on the cost.... in 97 I rented one to haul the Cressida out to College(yes, I went back to college at 27).... It was 27$ or something, a day, which we dropped within hours of arriving... So I saved in that way. You might even find one to buy for less? lol.... BUT, not bad, 90$ or so for 3 days? Now, mind you, this was the type that just the front wheels go up on. Also mind you...... 16 years ago! hahaha. I'm sure prices are a BIT higher? lol.

THANKS ON THE PROPS.... I like how it's shaping up as my own lil creation!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well! she can certainly lift a leg an show off a bit of the under carriage :jessica: wolf whistles

so ya get this kind of flex flat bump stops, balljoint spacers, an adjust the torsion bars.

if the brake lines at full droop/stretch are tight id get longer lines
Old 03-06-2013, 12:19 PM

Hey William,

The brake lines should be ok in front(but I'll making sure, trust me ;-) .....).... I'm more worried about the rear with 3.5" lift over stock. O.o Hehe. ...

Yeah, it's kinda hard to tell with the oics, but it was pretty up there... I'm pretty happy with that for flex on IFS with no LT kit...

I got some big plans, but having a need to be frugal to some point, even to the point of refusing to mention wut, well, let's just say, "we'll see".....

For now, .... I think shes pretty capable, and I'll likely not get anything major done b4 Pismo (<<< CAN'T WAIT to go AND see JOE and others while there!) .... not crazy about mostly/strictly sand.... but its SOOOO FUN!! HAHAHAHA
Old 03-06-2013, 12:24 PM

PS> William;

Downey mega travel upper bj's

New OEM lower BJ's

No sway bar

Low Pro uptravel stops (not ultra low)

Longer travel OMEmu shocks

1.5" 4crawler bj spacers w/ t-bars relaxed

And the 12"x125# coils in the rear (very soon to be changed, as I mentioned)
Old 03-06-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
PS> William;

Downey mega travel upper bj's

New OEM lower BJ's

No sway bar

Low Pro uptravel stops (not ultra low)

Longer travel OMEmu shocks

1.5" 4crawler bj spacers w/ t-bars relaxed

And the 12"x125# coils in the rear (very soon to be changed, as I mentioned)
one day..
Old 03-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget to pick up that collapsible step we were talking about a few mos. ago... you go any higher and mom is going to need a genie boom to get in and out of Ruby... had a wahini complain last night about getting into my stock height beast.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 AM

Woooo Get'er done!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:13 AM

Hahahaha, Pauuuuuul! S' ok...... I'll get it back up again if I can remember...

Yep, Richard..... it never ends.... so I guess its "get er started" haha
Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 AM

What Avi erased was basically just a recap on some of the stuff I have to do pretty quick. I wont repost.... jist come at them one at a time.....

I need to pull the rack and make a couple adjustments/double check my seal job. I was reaaaaaally distracted on the first one and I cant live with not knowing. Neither can I live with a leaking roof and rotting foam under the liner. Lol

I WANT to fix my climate control cables.... Just a pain to open the hood and r reach over and under to switch the gate to heater core or A/C each time u wanna have either.... Plus ITS THERE, IT SHOULD WORK RIGHT! ....RIGHT? Haha......IMHO.

Btw...... know my weird gremlin of not running right, for a minute, on warm restarts after its been sitting? I have no cle if its related, but remember all the sloshing and gurgling I could hear in the dash from the heater core, whenever I was warming it up and would rev it? Night before last, i opened the hood, shoved in the control valve arm, moved the gate under the dash and put on the heater, brrr! Haha... After running around plenty, I restarted the truck..... it DID NOT idle down! I'm not sure if I left it sit long enough.... but I will mess with it today again and let u know. I've had coolant air bubbles cause me drama b4, but not to this level, so we'll see, ya know? I have to replace the heater core hoses and heater control valve swap, and maybe do a new coolant temp sender (but I think, AGAIN,...its the gauge! >.< lol)....so I would want to burp really well then anyhow. Man woukd it ROCKKKKKKK if this was problem..... a freakin coolant air bubble issue! meh... not likely, but I can dream, rit? Hehe

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread