86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey mark the low profile bumpstops they for more tuck? stuffin the tire up in the fender?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Good read on the brake rotors. A little confusion about centrifugal and centripetal force, but the gist is there. I think I've always seen the slots going the other direction, probably cause it looks faster that way, but the explanation there makes sense.

Oh yeah, I definitely know the plates you're talking about. For awhile when I was working at Home Depot and not making the money I do now, that was all I had, and they're dishwasher safe, even!

Btw, keep an eye on my thread Mark, I should have some suspension work going on this weekend.
Well, not sure if dishwasher safe, these are the HD ones from Smart and Final. But just not the ones with ruffles that cant support a sandwich! Lol...

Sounds sick on the progress! I wish I had time to do LT or SAS right now.... and 2jz swap, and full corbeau interior, and..... wait, thats like 10$ right there..... guess I wud need lots more money too! Hahaha

Originally Posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
Thanks Chef. I'll get googling after some more sleep and start looking up your parts. I lost where you rebuilt them in the sea of pages you have!

I can't imagine they take long to rebuild and I like saving money where I can. Also depends on shipping. I saw that Marlin Crawler has a brake package with already rebuilt calipers. I'll have to do the math.

I might get an Fj80 master as an upgrade.

As for progress, mods are exciting. Maintenance jobs are harder to self motivate.

The cold is almost over way up here and my back is on the mend. No excuses coming soon. I've got work to do on the wagon.
Hey bud! No worries... bottom of page 231 I believe. Yeah, its not too bad a job.... You have a second gen 3.0 or 3.4 right? (Sorry, too many things on the brain to remember, lol... just remember its a beast! Hehe... Anyway, 92-95 has the S13WB calipers... u have those, right? U also already have the dual diaphragm booster, so u cud do the 1&1/16 master and feel a real improvement. 95+ T100 1 Ton? Read on that FJ80 option as well. ... Not sure on their prices... but ots an upgrade for ya to go to 1&1/16 master, right there.... and with the caliper rebuild (couple hours), ur golden!

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
hey mark the low profile bumpstops they for more tuck? stuffin the tire up in the fender?
Yep, but I'm not sure it's gonna gain me anything. ..... The real killer with stuff on these? TORSION BARS! Hahaha... It's true, they're only gonna give so much before ur bouncing like a superball, from the t-bars being too loose, hahaha. I did that, just seeing wut the point of limit was, when relaxing these after bj spacers... oh well.... until SAS or LT? Gotta live with some limitations if I dont wanna break things really easy! Hahaha.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Well, she's back on the road. .....

Name:  20130220_123604.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  3.36 MB

Still need a lil help bleeding manually/old school (new calipers, I knew they would need a lil exta help... ) .... and the thing is popping a lil bit when I slam on the brakes quickly.... Wad doing it more when first driving it, seems to be mellowing out. Short time will tell if something is wrong. ...

Peddle is nowhere near as hard now.... but it will firm up again some with afull system bleed. Busy tonight with a party, so will have to get the wheel cyl's done 2mrw.

Pic of me and Haley-Joy, my youngest, at grandsons bday.......

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  429.5 KB
Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 PM

thats about the best picture you've taken of the rig of wonders

bleeding them a few times to get all the air bubbles out of the system will likely do the trick and seating the new shoes in the back (remember nicely lubed rear adjusters will tighten them up as you back up an stop ive heard the 'pop' occasionally

cant believe your a granddad mark ya look too young
Old 02-20-2013, 01:32 PM

Hey William.....

Same shoes and drums. And the noise was when rolling forward/could feel it in the front end, like a "clunk"/"pop"....ONLY when I hit the brakes hard..... Seems to be doing it less as I drive..

We'll see I guess o.O
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM

Definitely still some air to get outta there....... BUT, thankfully, I don't hear that clunking any more.

They are also SILENT, up front..... NO squealing whatsoever.

Just another thought.... Personal opinion and study backed finding. .....

NOT ONLY should we always keep our pads fresh, changing out before the warning fins get squeaky.... But, we should always replace the brake hardware with new. ... rear shoes sometimes come with springs, etc.... Calipers? I've never seen them included. And, well, at 6$ for 4cyl caliper kits, 12-20 $ for S13WB KITS..... I've personally found it to be a worth while investment. My resisting springs in the 4cyl calipers had both snapped before I had replaced the calipers all together.......This time, when I pulled them, I manipulated them to see.... and they were VERY easily snapped. They get sooooo hot/cold, sooooo many times... just worth doing, IMHO.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet! Keep it up, you got me thinking about this upgrade in the future... I know mine doesn't have the greatest brakes currently, haven't went identifying specifically what needs replacing, but this seems like a great plan. Even if i just up the master and booster it'll help. Thanks for doing lots of the research! Oh and for having pictures, there always a plus...What kind of camera ya using, your shots look super clean.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Mark, is that "popping" you're hearing maybe the ZUK springs shifting, since you're breaking harder?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Definitely still some air to get outta there....... BUT, thankfully, I don't hear that clunking any more.

They are also SILENT, up front..... NO squealing whatsoever.

Just another thought.... Personal opinion and study backed finding. .....

NOT ONLY should we always keep our pads fresh, changing out before the warning fins get squeaky.... But, we should always replace the brake hardware with new. ... rear shoes sometimes come with springs, etc.... Calipers? I've never seen them included. And, well, at 6$ for 4cyl caliper kits, 12-20 $ for S13WB KITS..... I've personally found it to be a worth while investment. My resisting springs in the 4cyl calipers had both snapped before I had replaced the calipers all together.......This time, when I pulled them, I manipulated them to see.... and they were VERY easily snapped. They get sooooo hot/cold, sooooo many times... just worth doing, IMHO.

Are you saying while I'm at it get into my rear brakes too? They need some adjustment anyway and I do have an axle seal leak. Might as well do some preventative maintenance while I have it apart.

Thanks for the compliment above. I like my truck a lot.

What I do want with it is to look as straight and clean as yours does now. That is a bloody nice 1st Gen. Do people offer to buy it often?

Someone in here just got a note on their windshield I think.

I don't know if I could sell mine.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Great write up and hope the mask saved you some problems. I am going to mark this page for future reference.

When you get the chance can you list the suppliers and the parts that they provide such as Aisian,Dakin,Denso and what they produce, bearings,clutches.... You are be a walking encyclopedia when it comes the part suppliers that Toyota used and alot of times I can find them on ebay.
Hmmm, which parts you mean, Terry? Did I forget to list some? I will gladly dig up some receipts for the purpose of part numbers, etc.
I think he just ment in general. eg:
Aisin: mechanicals
Denso: electronics

But a little more indepth, cause thats about as good as I could muster.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yep, but I'm not sure it's gonna gain me anything. ..... The real killer with stuff on these? TORSION BARS! Hahaha... It's true, they're only gonna give so much before ur bouncing like a superball, from the t-bars being too loose, hahaha. I did that, just seeing wut the point of limit was, when relaxing these after bj spacers... oh well.... until SAS or LT? Gotta live with some limitations if I dont wanna break things really easy! Hahaha.
I think you gain quite a bit of droop if you replace the upper bump stops. The side of my shock is hitting the bump stop mount as I droop, so I need to grind some of the metal away to see what my real limit is.

I haven't gotten my lower bump stops to hit yet, so I agree that the torsion bars are the factor here, but even in a hard drop I think my shocks are going to bottom out before the bump stops hit. Maybe I should space them up with a nice wide washer or two... The other option would be hoops to get some longer travel shocks, but that feels like overkill for some low profile bump stops.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good job on the brakes.. let me know how the rotors hold up. i plan on replacing mine soon and havent heard much on aftermarket rotors.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

what the heck is "Navy Jelly"? I've never heard of it...

Truck looks great mark.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by aviator

Truck looks great mark.
its jellyed phosphoric acid so it clings to rust to remove it
Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Naval Jelly, and places like Home Depot carry it here in the states, not sure about up there though, Aviator.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by dakotawho
Sweet! Keep it up, you got me thinking about this upgrade in the future... I know mine doesn't have the greatest brakes currently, haven't went identifying specifically what needs replacing, but this seems like a great plan. Even if i just up the master and booster it'll help. Thanks for doing lots of the research! Oh and for having pictures, there always a plus...What kind of camera ya using, your shots look super clean.
Thanks, Dakota! ... Well, I'm just sharing what I've found from others like CORAX and such... >Jason In TN also did this upgrade... We've spoke on the phone for hours, couple times about this. Good dude. Terry had a write up on rebuilding the Calipers that got me to just cave in and order the kit.... I think it's GREAT insurance... Many others have chimed in and done threads... So, I certainly don't deserve MUCH of the credit.... But I'll take a lil, thanks haha... The pics ARE nice, I appreciate it when people like CORAX and many others well document their stuff..... Roger of 4crawler, Mudhippy, Stanz, Toyo, Jerry, XXXtreme, Terry, RAD, Redeth, ... we're all trying to share those pics, I'm guessing, because, ......well, ....... maybe they're like me and LOVE to learn, but learn even more quickly with 'VISUAL AIDS'? lol... It REALLY helps me... Video's even more!

The Camera? Hmmm, well, this series of pics over the last few weeks has been with my Samsung Note2. 8MP or something... Good video... But I also have a A4300 Canon HD Point and shoot... And a Canon DSLR, which I use on trips and such, quite a bit. Harder to use the latter when wheeling.... Only cuz it's something I REALLY want to avoid dropping or getting fubar'd by MUD or something? hahaha... Still, I've used it lots in my trips to the sierras, etc... So it's seen lots of risky situations... Just SO less stressful when using the Canon Point and Shoot, ya know? Lots less to lose. I posted lots of pics from my Canon D on the "Photography" thread.... Which I DO NOT claim to be, hahaha... But I think I have a pretty decent eye. LOVEEEEE shooting nature! Or odd things. Ya know?

Originally Posted by Philbert
Mark, is that "popping" you're hearing maybe the ZUK springs shifting, since you're breaking harder?
Nope, ... it was definitely in the front end, the popping... At least I think it was. However, I couldn't seem to get it to do it so much as I drove. I have quite a bit of air in the front..... Gotta deal with that. BUT, ... NO LEAKS! Very stoked about that, as I'm using 80% used stuff... Stuff that saved me HUNDREDS of bux! haha... Thank goodness my picker was on those days.... I think I got some good stuff Only reason I'm doubtful of the zuks... It slowly stopped doing it so much... And doesn't seem to be doing it now. So I think it was just Air in the lines caused the pistons to hold up, maybe smack a bit due to slop between the rotor and pads? GOD I hope so! HAHAHA. Was thinking over LOTS of things....like bearings, etc. Really doubtful it's anything but the brakes. Even with the air, it's stopping REALLY nice! Doesn't take much pedal to keep it from rolling.... that will help in scary situations or whatever, while wheeling. Richard can tell ya.... Even though my brakes were really good... They were not great, and I had to have him run up and lock me in while on a sketchy hill.... JUMPED RIGHT OUT of it from there... BUT, as I said, it was hairy. Just have to be careful in those situations with these brakes as not to 'JAM' em, causing locking up WHILE in motion, ya know?

Originally Posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
Are you saying while I'm at it get into my rear brakes too? They need some adjustment anyway and I do have an axle seal leak. Might as well do some preventative maintenance while I have it apart.

Thanks for the compliment above. I like my truck a lot.

What I do want with it is to look as straight and clean as yours does now. That is a bloody nice 1st Gen. Do people offer to buy it often?

Someone in here just got a note on their windshield I think.

I don't know if I could sell mine.
That's partly what I'm saying... BUT, also, the front pin springs..., more like cotter pins or detection pins that push apart against the pads and LITTERALLY cotter pins on the 4Cyl Pin ends.....

6Cyl....

Name:  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZDiscBrakekit1.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  11.2 KB

4Cyl...

Name:  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZdiskbrakehardwarekit2.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  10.6 KB

4Cyl Drum kits aren't a bad idea, either.... I've had springs snap on me on trips and it was NOT nice riding back with that drum carnage going on! lol... (the spring that snapped was one that holds the shoes firmly against the wheel cyl push rods..... GRRR! lol)...

Name:  ZZZZZZZZZZZZDrumBrakeHardwareKit.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  15.4 KB

People will do the job how they see fit... BUT, we all know that a bunch of wrecks happen due to TERRIBLE if not NIL brake maintenance/replacement of hardware, etc. And it's SO CHEAP compared to the scheme of the whole job, right? Even in my case, where I got GREAT deals on much of it... It's still what, 10%? If that? It's up to you on the rears... I always install whatever they give me(usually the 4 springs and hats, 2 main springs, etc.)... ALWAYS grease back there, well, too! lol... Mine always make noise, if any, in the rear.... The fronts I do no better... But for some reason, OEM shoes or not... they squeak from time to time. When I do my wheel cyls, I'll just grease everything well and adjust properly, etc. The hardware kit in there is all newer stuff. Backing down stuff, etc... I LOVE knowing my rear brakes are good, as they'll be doing LOTS more work than they normally do, lol. WOULD LOVE to do a kit like Irab88 or RBX are doing... BUT, ... in time, I'll figure something out. For now, I feel comfy with the brakes as they are.

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
I think he just ment in general. eg:
Aisin: mechanicals
Denso: electronics

But a little more indepth, cause thats about as good as I could muster.
Hahaha... I hear ya, Co 94 .... Thanks.

Originally Posted by Ocell
I think you gain quite a bit of droop if you replace the upper bump stops. The side of my shock is hitting the bump stop mount as I droop, so I need to grind some of the metal away to see what my real limit is.

I haven't gotten my lower bump stops to hit yet, so I agree that the torsion bars are the factor here, but even in a hard drop I think my shocks are going to bottom out before the bump stops hit. Maybe I should space them up with a nice wide washer or two... The other option would be hoops to get some longer travel shocks, but that feels like overkill for some low profile bump stops.
Yeah, I'm not sure how far I'd go, before just, well, doing a LT kit or something, lol. The uppers stops are for stuff... They're fixed to the Frame, the upper arms smack em. I didn't mess with droop... i'm happy with the amount I get at this point. I've basically pushed that to what I feel is the acceptable angle of the CV's... Which I just restored OEM not long ago, ya know? lol.... I have OME Nitro Shocks up front for 2" lift. They allow for 2.5".. So we'll see where I'm at after the OME 2" Leaf Pack and 1.5" Greasable Shackles. I'm guessing I'll be up another inch from where I am now. I got 3.75" over stock sag, lol. So I'm guessing, I'll be up around 1.5" more than now. That's ok, I can live with it. I DO NOT want to crank on the T-bars, and I wont. I'd just deal with the rake until an LT swap or SAS at that point. (found a couple 3" SAS jobs that looked really good to me! Just DIDN'T LIKE THE COST, EVEN AS COST THRIFTY AS THEY WERE! lol...). That's odd that your shocks rub on the droop stops..... Mine rubbed on the original/OEM upper stops that the Upper A arms hit. I had to cut almost a half an inch off that driver side upper front stop... The one by the shock. (OME's have the rod on top.. The edelbrocks were reversed. The OME's are SO FAT, it's probably part of it.. But it's odd... I don't have any bent ANYTHING.. and they ride differently/closer to the stop on the driver side. The Passenger side one up front is very clear of the OME shock. Meh, whatever, lol.. The Energy Stops don't come close... Worked just fine.

Glad to see your loving your rig so much! lol... She's a beauty!

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
good job on the brakes.. let me know how the rotors hold up. i plan on replacing mine soon and havent heard much on aftermarket rotors.
Thanks, Toyo! That means a lot from ya... You're Blanca is one of my favs! lol... I sure will(letcha know)... After a few weeks I will take a good look at em and get some pics of wear, etc. The black zinc should be long gone shortly, broken in, etc. They are G3000 Material... So like Brembo and the like... they all use the same material... Seems to be fairly precision on the drilling angles and slotting, etc. They don't look 'cheap', IOW? lol...

Originally Posted by aviator

Truck looks great mark.
Hey Paul! ........>>>>>

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/s_t...-Dissolver.htm

Thanks on the props for my Ruby Red-Girl! haha... She's not a bad looking one... I'm pretty stoked. The thing is, ... as I add things I want to do... shes losing more and more of that 'Stock' Look.... Oh well... I like it, I've made it my own... And in many ways, from front to back, she's got LOTS of goodies/my own touches/knuckle skin/personal work that's got her doing pretty good on and off road, without doing CRAZY alterations just yet. . Just trying to do the mods I think will get me 'improved' capability without having to go all out on the SAS or LT just yet. And, .... it'll never stop, as we all know! hahaha. Half the fun is workin on em, right?

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
its jellyed phosphoric acid so it clings to rust to remove it
YOU DA MAN! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-20-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:33 AM

Great to hear you got the brakes done and that they're working good. Hope everything else is good for you buddy sorry I haven't been able to check in much.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM

Hey Jason! Sup mang? Don't sweat it, bubba, you've helped me much, and I know ur busy. Gonna call u soon. Maybe today......
Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Mark/Cyber... may have to see if I can get me paws on some of that stuff... and the rust neutralizer product too...
Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM

Hey Paul, its amazing stuff, and thicker, so it stays put on things. I had forgotten about it, Grego reminded me of it. Look at gregos thread and not far back u can see his using it on a rusted out shift boot floor bezel.... I used it on the stuff bump stops lock nuts/stop threads on the frame mounts... couldn't budge them until after using that and pb blaster at the end.

Gotta get someone over here to help me bleed the brakes lol.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread