86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your 4runner is looking sweeter than ever Mark! Can't wait to see it after the Con-Ferr rack is installed!

Last edited by rustED; 02-12-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are some beefy siders you gou there mark!! havent been in here for a while but hows it going? Hope everything is going great! Now lets see how can do the longest rock slide hahahaha
Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Mark

checking in... wow lotta work getting done on the ride now you have time for you again...

sliders look great... though I prefer mustard/mayo/carolina bbq sauce on mine the gunmetal looks good too... i kill me...

think I may look at sliders again for mine...

the gd is cute as a button though I don't think she likes that white head band thing she did'nt look very happy wearing it... on the other hand she seemed to adore the black one.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:19 PM

Haha Mark found your twin (Reminded me of yours)
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...thread-264576/

Bet ya wish ya had that turbo huh?(Least the fancy cluster, that things so retro looking)
Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I got my oring for the cap in a rebuild kit. You didnt by chance over look it when you did your motor did you? I always have left over gaskets in mine and hang on to them. I might have one and will look and see later today.

Sliders look good and that black goes along with everything else you you have there.

As far as the clips, I sometimes luck out and find them in the HELP section of parts stores. I am starting to see alot of these clips pop up on ebay lately. Ohh!! That reminds me that I need to go check ebay and see if I won a new OEM toyota part. I bid a whole $5 for it.

Edit..Just checked, still 10hours to go and still only bidder.

Last edited by Terrys87; 02-14-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WELL, .. ME VIDA LOCA! haha...

First, I'll just share that I had a pretty rough day(and evening last night/through the night).......

Unfortunately, I was cleaning some things with a cleaner I've used for years, ...... when suddenly, I couldn't breath too well and my throat began to burn. I backed off, and while I had an INSTANT sore throat, which felt more like a cold coming on(YES, AGAIN ) ...... I wound up getting to sleep, feeling 'OKAY'. This morning, I woke, walked out to deal with the same parts, and even though cleaned, I REALLY couldn't breathe, suddenly, but maybe 50%.... FREAKED out, I walked out, caught my breath, and wound up at the Urgent Care, where they shot me up like they would for a bee sting(I'm allergic, only thing otherwise, up to this point).... And I felt ok again. BUT, my throat has been really raw since, and I feel like I was working in a room full of solvent vapors, all day, unprotected. Turns out I have developed an allergy to this Autozone Engine Degreaser(the non-foaming kind).... And apparently, I had been fighting YET ANOTHER bug, which this episode allowed to attack me, full on.

I feel ok now, but just WIPED out....... I appreciate, in advance, any concern and well wishin's..... Just wanted to share how, in yet another way, it's not been my month(Odd, cuz in a few others, it has, lol). Aside from a bad episode of being attacked by wasps while with my daughters on a Fathers day camping trip(electric blue pepsid wasps).... I've never felt so freaked out about being able to BREATHE!

Tomorrow? Back to biz! lol..... but WITHOUT the Autozone Engine Degreaser, FO SHO!

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
thems some clean brake parts mark

thumbs up
Originally Posted by socal85toyota
Holy cow those r some sexy sliders!!! Paint looks awesome!!
THERE'S THE MAN!!!! ^^^^^ hahaha.... You, sir, are owed a favor, for certain!!!! lol..... Again, thanks SO MUCH... And thanks on the look of them now... Glad you like em. Was curious if you would, lol.

Originally Posted by dakotawho
Yeah Mark, the pics were throwing me Aha I was just curious.... i thought about some sliders. But kinda like step sliders, like they mainly are the purpose of a step but there strong enough to take a hit if needed and would run basically the doors length, but thats way down the road though. Also looks great where you cleaned up under the hood!
Ahhhh, I hear ya. Well, whatever's clever for you, bubba! Kill it! hehe.

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Local mom & pop hardware is where i get all the fiddlybits I can't source from the salvage place they have the best prices. Auto parts would have them also but I had to buy a whole cap to get my last gasket.

eg Try the local Ace hardware for orings, gasket rubbers, and misc clips, they're atleast a smaller ownered franchise than our bigbox buddies.
Hey Mang! I found some at Lowes(wayyyyyy better Automotive Drawers than Home Depon't! lol.) ....... Thanks for the tips. I found Ford Push Pins worked really well...Here's the part.......

Name:  dc5d6177-11d3-4cd6-94f9-2e23c55a9ceb.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  420.3 KB

Name:  20130213_170803.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  185.8 KB

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Your 4runner is looking sweeter than ever Mark! Can't wait to see it after the Con-Ferr rack is installed!
Thanks, man! I can't wait on the Con-Ferr as well!!! lol.

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Those are some beefy siders you gou there mark!! havent been in here for a while but hows it going? Hope everything is going great! Now lets see how can do the longest rock slide hahahaha
NOOOOOOOOOOOO! lol.... Actually, I will not look for things to grind them on..... BUT, I will not "avoid all day" because I don't wanna touch them up, either...... I WILL get scars.... And trust me, I've got a few already from just parking lots! THANK GOD I had them, yesterday! Guy REALLY banged his door of the S600... Then tried to claim I had to pay, as those can't be illegal......... The cop looked from the top, from the back........ he didn't agree! lol... I declined to have him pay for paint, "s'all good " I said to the Cop, hahaha.... He chuckled, slightly, without the guy seeing. The guy burned out of the lot....... THEN THE SAME COP pulled him over! hahaha.

Thanks much for the props, Roger.... Appreciated.

Originally Posted by aviator
Hey Mark

checking in... wow lotta work getting done on the ride now you have time for you again...

sliders look great... though I prefer mustard/mayo/carolina bbq sauce on mine the gunmetal looks good too... i kill me... (hahaha)

think I may look at sliders again for mine...

the gd is cute as a button though I don't think she likes that white head band thing she did'nt look very happy wearing it... on the other hand she seemed to adore the black one.
Yeah, she's SOOOOO cute! She HATES wearing shoes! HATES sitting in the carseat... Hates sitting still, pretty much, hehehe. HMMMMMM, wonder where she got that from! lol... And, she's wearing 1.5 year old shoes.... She's 6.5 Months, hehe.

Originally Posted by dakotawho
Haha Mark found your twin (Reminded me of yours)
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...thread-264576/

Bet ya wish ya had that turbo huh?(Least the fancy cluster, that things so retro looking)
Not sure I'd want the turbo, but wouldn't scoff at it either... It's a nice set up if done right(and his is, trust me!)... I've met him, here at my pad. Not seen the truck though. He came in his car. I can't wait to see him wheeling it. It's NICE! Not competing, honest, lol... AND, just glad to see another Redrum Member! lol. LOTS of red ones this year, eh? lol.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I got my oring for the cap in a rebuild kit. You didnt by chance over look it when you did your motor did you? I always have left over gaskets in mine and hang on to them. I might have one and will look and see later today.

Sliders look good and that black goes along with everything else you you have there.

As far as the clips, I sometimes luck out and find them in the HELP section of parts stores. I am starting to see alot of these clips pop up on ebay lately. Ohh!! That reminds me that I need to go check ebay and see if I won a new OEM toyota part. I bid a whole $5 for it.

Edit..Just checked, still 10hours to go and still only bidder.
WOW, that's right... never thought of that. I have 2 kits, ... gotta look, lots of leftovers! Probably didn't even know what that one was, lol.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 PM

PS> This is what I'm hearing in turns at times... Even with the 31's at JUST THE RIGHT Full turn/Stuff, lol......... This is the 32's though....... PINCH WELD TIME????? hahaa....

Name:  20130213_164214.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  301.8 KB

Name:  20130213_164221.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  282.7 KB
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
umm boss there some friction goin on..LUCY! younz gots some splain'in to do

i see from the above you found some clips though i found a flea bay post with the same kind is ok
Old 02-15-2013, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Wow Chef, the truck is looking great! I built a hanger of sorts out of a piece of aluminum bent and mounted with an existing bolt in the fender to move the mud flaps away from the tire, but I've got those homemade things, different from what you're working with. Oh yeah, and pinch weld smashing too.
Name:  IMG_0221.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  50.4 KB

You're creative, you'll come up with something cool.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:04 AM

Yeah, William.... sucks.... Ruby is not liking the chafing under the skirt! Lol

Hey Hab! Hows the beu
Autiful supermom-wheeling-adventure-lady doing? Hahahaha. Thanks for the inspiration to think of something on the rubbing. The first gen mud flaps are mounted different I think.... and they're longer, so the get torn off as u have to back up in an angled ditch, etc, ya know? I'm gonna have to either tie them back/up for this trip, once down there, or just pull em.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 AM

Btw, I'm feeling a lil more out of the woods now. .... but that wasssssss a lil scary, I wont lie :-( lol.

Hey hab, Lol Boy Blue is lookin SICK!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:06 PM

Man, that whole ordeal just jacked me up, resperatory wise! I hate hospital visits now, after spending so much time in them over the last few years, visiting, etc. Just need to make sure I fully recover before pushing myself as normal. .... I tried to go "half" normal today, and boy did I pay for it! Lol. .. I'll be ok, hopefully, but I really need to learn to listen to the doctors when they trll me what to do.

Far as today, I did grab all I will need to complete my V6 brake upgrade... And, while there, I saw these at Autozone and picked some up...

Name:  20130215_174110.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  2.26 MB

Got some pix from my daughter of the Abby....

Name:  imagejpeg_5.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  136.3 KB

Big feet, like grampie...

Name:  imagejpeg_4.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  192.5 KB

Name:  imagejpeg_3.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  208.4 KB

Name:  imagejpeg_2-1.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  296.2 KB

Hope everyone is doing alright!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
All you gotta do is see a smiley face like hers and doing alright is in the bag.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ x2 to what Hab said!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:54 PM

awesome your doin better mark an im with the others grin from the little miss makes the world alright
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 PM

Thanxn all! She's so precious! I hope to get some good pics of the Grandson, Jay, at the Bday party, but I'm not sure I can stay too long... While I feel better, I'm still only 50% or so.

Btw; I wanna publically thank Scott of ARB-USA(AND JASON_IN_TN, who told me to call them for answers>>>)... That is one of the most helpful and courteous and kind and professional companies I've ever dealt with regarding my rig. He spoke with me for 30 minutes, making CERTAIN I would get all the right parts for the OME leaf swap. THANK YOU, SCOTT.... you went far beyond most co's I deal with lately, and I'm grateful!

Btw 2:

The Medium load leaf pack for the 1st gen 4runner, for a dd like mine, that sometimes sees really heavy loads, is ...

"CS009R" > MEDIUM LOAD OME LEAF PACK

"D5XL" > THE OVERLOAD PROGRESSIVE ADD LEAF SPRING FOR 400+#'s ADDITIONAL WEIGHT(THEY ADD THIS TO THEIR CS009R PACK TO CREATE THE HEAVY LOAD DUTY PACKS)

"OME U53" > THE LONGER U BOLTS NEEDED TO RUN THE CS009R PACK (AS IT'S THICKER)

"SB6" > THE FULL BUSHING KIT NEEDED FOR ONE SIDE, DRIVER OR PASSENGER, TO INSTALL THE CS009R PACKS (YOU WOULD ORDER "SB6 TIMES 2, please? Thank you!" Hahaha)

"181469" > THE FULL BUSHING SLEEVE KIT FOR EITHER SIDE DURING THE CS009R LEAF PACK INSTALL ( SO YOU WOULD ORDER THE "181469 TIMES 2")

Thats it for the basic "CS009R leaf pack install".

Scott informed me that I COULD do the heavier pack with the D5XL leaf spring included... but that it would be a fairly stiff ride. Knowing wut I told him about me and my infrequent need for a very heavy pack, he said he would bet I would be happiest with the CS009R, just as it is.

He told me he had to go, but to call him back if I needed or wanted the various shock lengths and such for the flip kit, and a couple links for that and the best deals on the greasable longer shackles and such.

Also* I'm gonna get the numbers to my Rancho 5000 shocks, so that maybe someone can help me figure out the exact extended and compressed numbers? The shocks that I have the right now, those Rancho 5000, are from a buddy who had, if I remember correctly, a 3 inch lift on his 85 pick up. They fit under my truck now, but I don't think they fully allow me to stuff in the rear because they are meant for a bigger lift. So I think even with the Old Man Emu Springs, I might end up still needing some different shocks. I'm going to ask RBX what shocks he's running, which I thought was either Billy's or OME's. I really didn't want to have to buy shocks, but if these are limiting me either way I look at it , then maybe I can find some used ones on yotatech or something that are just the right length?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-15-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 PM

^^^^^^^ My rear shocks on there right now are ........

RANCHO RS5000 - 202515

* I CAN NOT seem to find what the extended and compressed measurements are.....

???? ANYONE ????
Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 PM

http://www.gorancho.com/assets/catal...ifications.pdf i think that might have it mark
Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 PM

RS5144--L3--L3--Compressed=14.125 Extended=22.375 ....8.250" Travel NONE P119

Hmmmm, poops! lol

THANKS, WILLIAM! I was all over the site, but didn't find that.

S'all good....... NOW I know what I'm working with..... And with 8.25" Travel, I'm thinking I'm probably already working with a 3" Lift shock....

Anyway, I'm going to measure some things out and see if my stuff or droop is limited by these shocks.... Also, with the OME springs, I think it should definitely increase flex with the right setup... Just need to know which is best...

DO I NEED LONGER SHACKLES to make these springs REALLY POP for me? lol...

With the longer shackles... Do I need anything else to make that lil extra lift work? (Shocks/Optimal length would probably be on ARB's answers list.. So I might call him back, tomorrow).........

Picking up my Replacement Wheel Cyl's, tomorrow. They are Aisins, as you could see... BUT, it looks like they will replace them under warranty with Advics... I DO NOT lose ANY fluid... Nor do I use a lot... But looking at that one picture, IT DOES look like I might have a lil leakage on the backside. BUT, wouldn't that be a leak due to the flare nut union? I've seen them leak from the boots, ...but as you can also see in those pics... The boots are soft and like new and no fluid from em. I just can't knowwwwww that I know that that mess behind/to the side of the rear cyl on that one side is from a mega-blasting of brake cleaner... OR, if it's Brake Fluid. I guess if I pull em now and it's still wet.... that answers my question, lol. and hey, if they'll give me new ones for free..... Warranties ROCK! hahaha.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I have known several people that work around auto chemicals all of their lives and one day just get a permant allergy to it. My brother in law went to college for mechanics and now looking at it will send him to the hospital. One of the great things about getting older. Grrr.

Warranites so Rock!!! lol

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread