86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahahahaha! Yeah, it's the month of wounds! Lol.

Yeah, you know, I was kinda curious as to why you had apprehension in doing the inner seal after doing it myself. It's a total piece of cake and I think excellent insurance. But, that seal is at least 10 times the thickness and subsequently, durability, I'm sure. Still, after 98,000+ miles , I feel better knowing they're all new Toyota seals. By the way, I think i know the difference, at least I think I do, between the 2 part numbers on the caliper repair kits on Toyotapartszone.com... After reading more carefully, I noticed that 1 part number was for 88 to 91.5, and the other part number was for 91.8 through 95. Something like that. THAT makes sense, AS the early V6 calipers are not the same as the Post 91 versions. 91.5 and earlier are S12 and the latter are S13WB. Seeing that there are differences between the 2 without actually seeing them is leaving me without the ability to explain why the kits from Toyota are different. But, my guess is that the bore is larger or something of the sort. I believe another difference is in the diameter of the rotors. I believe the early v6 rotors are 11.38, just like the 4cyl rotors, in diameter, while the later model V6 runners are 11.41 diameter. It's a very small difference, but I'm not sure it's the only 1. I think they might be a different width as well.

Thanks again Terry, so much, for always shootin the junk with me over these projects, especially when it comes to things like this, which are so important! I appreciate, even though they were slightly different, all the photos and write up that you did on your own! (Pretty much the same procedure to the Tee)... I and many others on here owe you a big chunk of gratitude! In fact, since these calipers look to be in such good shape, I had seriously contemplated never tearing them apart at all. But it just seems to be the kind of mod/swap, ....just portion of the vehicle, in general, that is so important, that I would not want to take a shortcut. Now especially, seeing that they were a bit dirty inside, but now knowing that they are fairly immaculate inside, I obviously feel much better. As I said before, I would feel pretty stupid having to tear them apart only a short time after putting this entire brake swap on! Haha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-07-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 PM

Getting very excited about getting the sliders on! Redeth/Richard, very kindly offered to come help me do the brake swap, thanks Richard! But, like I told him, I can't afford to not be done and ready to get to socal85toyotas pad on Saturday....

Cleaned up the heater control valve so I can do that and the new heater hose install asap, too. I cant be sure that air in my system due to a tiny leak In a hose is the cause of my gremlin, but neve r know and again,.... its GREAT INSURANCE to have a newet heater control valve and hoses. I do know that I hear MAJOR bubvling/gurgling really, in my heater core, when giving it gas, after its warming up for a bit.

Also wanna play ull open the dash and inspect the climate control cables and see if I can fix it without having to pull too much (like I did in the yard, pulling an assembly without pulling out half the dash... NOW, ....if I can just remember how I did that! Lol. ). I think the sticky valve was causing the damage that I can see to the botrom right climate arm/HOT-COLD one. I have a MINT assembly, thanx, yet again, to Terry's instructionals, which also often give me the final shove into the confidence I needed to tear into some if this crap! Lol.

PS> I MESSED UP MY SLIDERS PAINT! >.< ... grrrrrr-eat! Lol. I saw an under covered spot, so I shot it, which turned into a bit more.... then I came back in an hour and that top coat is all wrinkled all over... arg! Oh well, I suppose I can jusr rub it out after a week or so? I have some thoughts... and s'all good, at least they wont rust, right?!?! Hahaha. .......
Old 02-08-2013, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chef, do we need to enroll you into some painting classes?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
LOL^^^ After the great work on his sliders I was looking for some lessons from Mark. Stew just cost you a future student.

Glad you mentioned the differences in the part numbers and years. Glad I could help and your write up is alot better then I could of done. Hopefully it will help take the fear out of others when they decide to give it a try.

As far as the climate controls on the 84-88/89 work from the drivers side over to the passenger side and on the 89-95 work from the passenger side to the drivers side on removing the dash assembly.

I did a lot of practicing while in the salvage yards for learning and hopefully to keep the dashs from getting tore apart for other parts that I might need when I go back. One or two times of doing that and you will be a pro in no time on taking a dash out. Now I can have a dash out all the way down to the heater core in 30 minutes easily without tearing ANYTHING up other then the passenger vent and occasionally I still crack one as they are so brittle. That is doing it the way Toyota recomends it too. They are just brittle.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by StewsRunner
Chef, do we need to enroll you into some painting classes?
Hahahaha, no buddy, its the mix.... What happens is, when these should have been cured enough for finish coats, they werent, so the lower coat causes the latest coat to "wrinkle". It gets very touch with high humidity and such as well, but this is purely a chemical reaction. If I would have just waited ANOTHER 48hrs (how could I have know this mix was lacking hardeners though, ya know?), then it would have gone on like glass. I will try, first, later today, to carefully sand away the "wrinkled" layer. I already did a test area, as its 5 coats now(2 light and 3 medium), and I think it will be fine.. Otherwise, its strip back down and start over. I dont think so, and I will share that tonight. Btw, my entire engine, oil pan, axles, through all the abuse they have suffered, still have a pro looking gloss to them. ..... Some times, its not ALL the error of the man with the gun, lol. And, these are good guys I get the paint frim, but this is 3 times in a monrh for me and I hear thousands of others.. It will probably cost them many accounts with people and purveyors. Can u imafine doing a 54 Crestline and seeing something like I did? THEN, u realize u gotta strip the whole vehicle? O.O! Lol. But, those guys are smart and ALWAYS test viscosity, which is soooo easy, so again, that is where I messed up.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
LOL^^^ After the great work on his sliders I was looking for some lessons from Mark. Stew just cost you a future student.

Glad you mentioned the differences in the part numbers and years. Glad I could help and your write up is alot better then I could of done. Hopefully it will help take the fear out of others when they decide to give it a try.

As far as the climate controls on the 84-88/89 work from the drivers side over to the passenger side and on the 89-95 work from the passenger side to the drivers side on removing the dash assembly.

I did a lot of practicing while in the salvage yards for learning and hopefully to keep the dashs from getting tore apart for other parts that I might need when I go back. One or two times of doing that and you will be a pro in no time on taking a dash out. Now I can have a dash out all the way down to the heater core in 30 minutes easily without tearing ANYTHING up other then the passenger vent and occasionally I still crack one as they are so brittle. That is doing it the way Toyota recomends it too. They are just brittle.
Thanx again buddy.... and dont worry, the sliders will be glassss again! ... I might have more time to mess with them and the brakes and more as socal85 cant do this in the rain, as far as I read it... So might get put off anyhow. S'all good! Whatever is best for him!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The paint on those sliders look fantastic! You'd puke if you saw the rattle can job I did on my bumpers. I figure I'll be touching them up pretty frequently anyway, though.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:17 PM

Those sliders look nice chef, that is on my list of to do items, now that i have a body lift i can weld to the frame sides more easily. how is your mom doing? hope all is well!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:04 PM

Thanks guys! Yeah, I had a real strange issue with paint this last week, but if you look through my pics of all my engine and accessories painting, and my 66 Comet that I painted... I usually do pretty well. Really bad humidity, really lagged cure times, and a bad batch of paint with the dials, it just wasn't my week . Haha... BUT....., we can always start over, rit? Soooooo..........., next post, I hace a pretry cool update, thanks to good weather today. ...............>
Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 AM

FIRST THINGS FIRST!!!!!!.........

SOCAL85TOYOTA IS MOST DEFINITELY, UNDOUBTEDLY, THE MAN! LOL....

Today, I went a couple towns over to Socal85's pad, where he put his respectable welding skills to work for me!! So freak'n grateful' Socal85!...

I didn't realize how much work was involved in prepping, measuring, cutting the legs at angles and being surethe doors will open after a hitn etc, etc, etc.... SOCAL85TOYOTA did an incredible job at all of it!

Here he was cutting the pipe legs down for the last time for a precise fit....

Name:  20130209_163146.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  387.6 KB

Then, welded on the driver side first...

Name:  20130209_152131.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  353.0 KB

Voila!.....

Name:  20130209_151524.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  322.7 KB

Name:  20130209_151544.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  305.3 KB

On to the passenger side, ......

Name:  20130209_172518.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  340.7 KB

Voila! .........

Name:  20130209_174251.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  382.6 KB

Lil video of the man at work. .....

Again, I can't thank u enough, "C"! Very kind of u to do that for me!

Yes n as u all can see, they are no longer painted. .... but it's ok! Lol. I will be able to copay them with a nice finish within no time at all. They will get a final sanding, acetone, denatured alcohol and then , either the new, actually black-Hammered Black, lol, or they will get a nice shiny gloss black. I'm just not that worried about it as they will be stepped on, scraped, then some, so I will will still do a good job, but they would have had to be shipped up pretty bad today during this whole process, anyway, so I will just do it on the rig. "C"gave me some really good paper roll for making of and doing a clean job.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
those just look excellent mark really they do
how much they run ya again?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:51 AM

Looks great man I know that's a big project that you've been wanting to get done.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:57 AM

Received 246 Likes on 184 Posts
Also looks like great door ding protection they do look wondrous though chef!!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 AM

Right on, man! You have officially persuaded me to buy some here pretty soon

Are you still considering layering the top with grip tape?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im confused. why isnt it painted anymore? i painted mine before install. the installer just sanded down the areas needed to weld and i just went over the welded areas with paint a few days later
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Chef can we get some pics of the attachment points?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:20 PM

Hey guys. Thanx, I'm so stoked!

Toyo, it was a paint freak thing that never happened to me b4. Had to strip em down, and socal has very limited time, and gifted me all that work, so I just eent for it

Sure thing RB, will dowhen I get with the rig later today

Im not a skilled welding inspector, and I've already primed the plates and pipes/over all the welds, but u can still see them just fine.

Hes had formal training AND he's done quite a bit on his 85's (4Runner and PU)..and others im sure...... He has a beautiful new Hobart that I got video of, just a more panning of the yard and his sickkkkkk rigs-type-video... but I will upload it as well, asap!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-10-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sup Mark! The sliders turned out awesome! They really compliment the looks of your 4runner! Those are definately on my wishlist!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 PM

Edited my last post^^^^^

And hey Ed! Sup? Yeah? Think they look pretty good? Thanks man, meansalot guys, and im so grateful to socal, it literally felt like a belated Christmas at 8yrs old..... THAT FEELING, YA! LOL
Old 02-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Checking in, saying hi, liking what you've done!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fantastic. I'm looking forward to photos of the whole truck with them on there.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread