86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I had a brain firt. I have had one to break on me. I soaked it with PB Blaster and everyday for three days I would soak it again and do a little tapping on it to try and vibrate the rust loose. Then I was able to get on the end of it with some vice grips and it twisted right out. I made sure I had a good clamp on it as you normally only get one shot at it.

Only other suggestion I could give is to get it nice and flat and hit with a punch and try and easy out. Stay away from the spiral easy outs. They are brittle and break. Never tried one on one of these.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Mark... just getting caught up on this...
nice pics... love the humming bird and produce pics... is that bird in a grape vine or olive tree?...

master cyl. cleaning... soak it in Varsol... it will loosen/free/remove the oil... gunkiness will require a little scrubbing with a stiff brush but it [varsol] will not harm the plastic and will disappear with a blast of air and not react with hydraulic fluid if a small amt. of residue is left behind... we use it on aircraft parts all the time... you can score a small parts washer from any pep boy type place for under $50 and a 5gal jug of varsol is like $20.00 at home depot... once you have one you'll use it for cleaning everything around the shop/house... the varsol is effective till it's filthy and then a bit more lol... just keep topping up the washer when it gets low... clean out the thing when the pump clogs or you move lol... we cleaned out the one at one of the airports I work at when we were moving to a new hanger... had about 5 yrs+ of crud in it and was still effective...

v6 calipers... should fit with no problem on the stock sr5 rims... there was no change on them all the way to 94 on the sr5 trucks... only fit issue I've heard of is when folks use the Tundra calipers/discs... they were designed to fit with a bigger 16?"-17"? rim...

Last edited by aviator; 01-13-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, Terry... I'll look into that... My buddy said he would heat it up and put a nice slot in it if possible... then TRY to use a small bit flathead bit on an impact driver... ????? lol. he's done TONS of this stuff... BUT, I think drilling it out or an easy out would be worth looking into as well. lol. NOT EVEN enough to grab onto, sadly ... VERY SADLY! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! haha. Talkin atcha soon, Terry... Busy the next couple days.... Times up, have to re do the written DMV test... GRRR! hehe. REALLY hate those tests.... STUPID TRICK QUESTIONS! .........

Paul, sup my-man!?!?

GREAT tip, like Terry always shoots me... thanks! I WILL get a parts cleaner... Because EITHER WAY, I WILL be grabbing a 'fix and sell', sooner than later... And I'M SURE I'll be needing a parts washer... I'm VERY thorough... I KNOW< I KNOW, stop it guys, ...I can hear you laughing from here, hahaha... I'm thorough, and I DON'T MIND cleaning... but having a parts washer? YES, .... DEFINITELY would save me some time and keep MEEEEEEEE cleaner, lol.

Far as the Master... it's SPOTLESS... I swear, I think the guy put this on at Toyota, pulled out the lot, then ran from the cops and got in impounded! lol... Honestly! The fluid in the Calipers? CLEAR! The fluid in the reservoir that was on the master when I got it? CRYSTAL clear, as was the reservoir... BUT, ... they put a screwdriver through it to actuate a 'beer bong effect for moronic, lazy, inept in mechanical aspects douche bags who would rather destroy something worth 70$ than pull out a SCREWDRIVER and remove the thing in 10 seconds!!!!!! it's ONE SCREWWWWWWWWW! lol.

I WILL flush the master out a bit... but honestly guys, it's BRAND NEW, I can tell. The calipers? I think it'd be worth it, doing this big of a swap(not 'BIG' in the work factor... But a 'big change', IOW).... Might as well do it AS THOROUGH as possible. I will pull those, reseal em, IF they're hard or look compromised... and then hone em out, slap em back together, shoot em with some paint, call em susie and ride em like I OWN EM hahaha.

The booster? SIMPLE GREEN, BABY! lol. I actually have some Simple Green/ORANGE cleaner! hahaha.... Stuff is AWESOME, ...but just a bit of an 'almost' oxy moron(<<< just like that one, rightie there! lol)

Should be simple.

Terry, Paul, everyone.... What do you think of having them powerbled? I have a guy whom I KNOW WILL DO IT CHEAP..... Should be done(I mean a full on flush, basically.... My fluid and such DOES need a good flushing/lines as well. Brakes are almost all new... NOT the master, ... and not the booster, but the Calipers, Rotors, etc. I might have the rotors turned... but honestly? THEY'RE NICE, and I mean really smooth... They've worn beautifully... Almost hate to mess with em... BUT, they COULD stop better, like the Honda does, etc. I think they're just not enough brake for the weight they are... especially when we're done with give'n them a big fat arse! right? haha.

SLIDERS ARE IN ROUTE! Should be here tomorrow or next day! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ..... Is it obvious I'm smiling? HEHE
Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 PM

PS1> LOQUAT TREE! One of three species of them I have here. DELICIOUS!

PS2> I meant to say, if I didn't.... THE MASTER RESERVOIR MOST DEFINITELY is dirty, lol.... BUT, not flaky or compromised really.... Just a lil bit of stretch in that thing where the screw goes... I have an idea with that.... Just to keep it RIGHT-TIGHT to the top of the Master.... otherwise.... Would be HARD to spend 65$ on an OEM- New Reservoir , EVEN DISCOUNTED! hehe.

PS3> .... Ok, I just realized... PS2, PS3..... NOT a gamer, so I didn't catch on... Just wanted to letcha know that I saw it, however, hehehe.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 01-13-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I never had one power bled and really didnt know that you could do that. I just always used an air hose but sure a professional place would be better at it.

My dad was telling me about some rust disolver called "Kroil" looks like you have to order it as I havent really seen it before and I think I seen something mentioned on here or another site about it. Supposed to be some good stuff, but I have never tried it. Dad will get some and use it one time for the tractor at his place and probably will never use it again, so I will see if I can find something to try it on.

Have you got a specific fix and sell in mind? I found a sweet 87 runner SR5 that is loaded but someone stuck a 20r down in it. I told the guy I might me intrested in it in a couple of months but it will be awhile before I would be able to mess with it. I have only seen one SR5 runner. I could get it straightend out, but just dont want to mess with it right now as the shop is tied up.

Wahoo for the sliders, my Santa in the brown suit will be moving faster then usual.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I never had one power bled and really didnt know that you could do that. I just always used an air hose but sure a professional place would be better at it.

My dad was telling me about some rust disolver called "Kroil" looks like you have to order it as I havent really seen it before and I think I seen something mentioned on here or another site about it. Supposed to be some good stuff, but I have never tried it. Dad will get some and use it one time for the tractor at his place and probably will never use it again, so I will see if I can find something to try it on.

Have you got a specific fix and sell in mind? I found a sweet 87 runner SR5 that is loaded but someone stuck a 20r down in it. I told the guy I might me intrested in it in a couple of months but it will be awhile before I would be able to mess with it. I have only seen one SR5 runner. I could get it straightend out, but just dont want to mess with it right now as the shop is tied up.

Wahoo for the sliders, my Santa in the brown suit will be moving faster then usual.
Hey Terry, What's Up brother? Yeah, my brother in law owns a business that has and fleet of several trucks. This fleet also has a mechanic, which has almost every toy known to man the mechanic would desire, haha. Years ago, I took my 87 pick up 4 wheel drive Toyota in to him to have the system bled while I was working. I guess it's a type of machine that hooks up to every bleeder well it's simultaneously providing fluid. Sounds pretty straightforward, but I know there's a bit more involved than that, he he.

Thanks for the tip from pops.

Regarding the type of vehicle that I might be interested in grabbing and turning around, I'm not really picky. it could be anything, from a Toyota Cressida, supra, or other 5mge or 7mge motor driven vehicle to a little older generation Land Cruiser or first or second or 3rd gen pick up or first or second or 3rd Gen 4runner,.... Whatever! As long as it's something that I can manage to repair and turn around in a reasonable amount of time, I'm game. I'm also considering something to keep on the real cheap, like the 84 Toyota Cressida that I owned and drove for 375,000 miles! Absolutely fantastic car,..... as long as they're maintained properly. However, realistically, seeing as the gas prices are out of control and might only be rising, I should probably be looking into something much more reasonable on fuel economy. I have a buddy that's a certified master technician on Volkswagens and Porsche cars. For years, he's been trying to get me into that realm! Hahahahaha. I am certainly not opposed to A 1.9 liter TDI Volkswagen, and I'm even less opposed to getting 40 + miles a gallon! lol. But, I'd like to finish at least a few of the modifications to my truck before I get started on any special type of project. Yet, finding something like an 85 4 Runner, 22 RE, less a motor, or trans, etcetera, is something that I could consider at any time.

I am absolutely anxious, while I know that's not proper, Hehe, ... about opening my front door and finding some kickout sliders in a box upon my porch!!!

I swear to you all, I've been so busy with so many things, that I have not had 20 minutes to spare for working on the rig ..
BUT, within the next 3 to 4 days I should begin to find some opening up in my schedule. I promise I will update immediately, as soon as I get started, with pictures and everything. I want to at least paint the v6 calipers after cleaning them,......, so I better get started on cleaning them up, right? hahahaha! I've actually done a little cleaning on them already on the outside, just in an attempt to prevent tons of debris from getting inside of the calipers once I take them apart. I'm actually tempted to not even open them up, but after seeing the end results that Terry got, I think it would be best. Luckily, the master cylinder is either brand new or darn near brand new, so I believe a good flush, then cleaning of the master cylinder reservoir, should be sufficient before bench bleeding it. The booster is a booster, plain and simple, lol. I think I will also at least attempt to flush out the lines, using Terry's method with air, or I might simply take it down to have it power bled. Either way, along with sliders eventually other armor, having highly improved braking systems is not a waste of time, to say the least, right?

Thanks again Terry, William, Paul, everyone who's giving me ideas on how I might best clean some of these brake parts . Also, thanks for everything else, including the patience and understanding that most people show me, I very much appreciate it!

I talk to Richard today, and I might be enlisting his father for some advice on the best way to mount the side rails. I'm fairly certain on how I want to mount the side rails to the roof, inside and out, and all of the parts and post some pictures as soon as I have all the materials. What I'm likely going to do on the inside of the shell is run a 48 inch strip of 1 eighth inch aluminum strip which the side rails mounting bolts will go through. On the bottom side, I will probably use a type of nut insert that is flat and mostly flush with the aluminum strip and can be tightened in the center of its head with A Torx bit. The top side will have the anchored angled washers with 2 bolts through each washer, then tightened down by the Torx bit nutserts

..... It will be much easier to explain with video and pictures, lol

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 01-15-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
...What I'm likely going to do on the inside of the shell is run a 48 inch strip of 1 eighth inch aluminum strip which the side rails mounting bolts will go through.
Mark, 48-inch long might run into the thicker part with the window glass. However, using a strip same width as the feet inside would evenly distribute any kind of upward pull on rails and make it robust enough.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner

Mark, 48-inch long might run into the thicker part with the window glass. However, using a strip same width as the feet inside would evenly distribute any kind of upward pull on rails and make it robust enough.
No feet. ... Its a rail that will be directly flush with the roof. I'll show pix and video sooner than later
Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 PM

PS> How u doing buddy? Great to hear from ya as always, RAD!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, here she is in the Garage where this all started(THANK YOU GOD for a garage to work in!)
[IMG][/IMG]

Next, the Motor, engine bay, before I cleaned it up at all....

Next, after a lil cleaning of the firewalls and such.........

Then, pretty sure I had a DECENT exhaust leak, ....I got that off next......

See what I mean about the leaks, front and rear?^^^

THIS FRIGGEN BOLT, forced into the collector, took a CHUNK of time, but thankfully, it backed out.....EVENTUALLY!LOL.....(nice set up the PO had on there, eh????

Here's the 23 year old Exhaust, layin on the crete....

Here's the condition of the collectors....not good, lol.....

After cleaning up the block as best as I could on the exhaust side....

A Big Brown Truck drove up front, dropping these off......(and the header)

Next, I got on to the labeling process and got into the intake side........

And here are some pics of the infamous BLACK GOOOOOOO(AFTER two intake treatments of Seafoam and one in the tank, btw....nudge nudge, lol) Also, pics of the valves, etc....

Thought I'd throw one in of just a few of my 'friends' out in the garage.....I love Orchids.....I guess because they're a PAIN IN THE RUMP! lolol.....

Here's the CAT(not sure if this is a good way to show you and ask "is it ok?", but it doesn't rattle, ...any thoughts on the best way to check?........

This farkin bastage, ....DID NOT WANT TO BREAK FOR ME...but eventually it did(required a 22MM wrench I had to go get for 75% off at Kragen, lol)......

Here's the CAM Gear Dimple and Bright link, at TDC Compression Stroke.........

Andddddddddd, here is her heart, awaiting a decision as to whether I'll yank her or just freshen her up!..........

I have more pics, hahaha, but I just wanted you to know that I appreciate the encouragement from some of you. I know I'm not alone in having some tough times over the past years....and I'm not complaining, ...but this is my first tear down of a 22re, and I'm a lil overwhelmed at times, having so LIL time to go at it, yet I'M LOVING IT! I really enjoy this and I'd love to just drive to 600k on this motor until half the bottom end drops out....but that's just not me...I'd be chewing on my nails whenever it wasn't purring, lol. Jk, but you get what I mean, I hope.

I'm TOTALLY wiped out, and I need to crash, but I wanted to at least let y'all know, ...I AM doing everything I can, when I have the time. Just hoping that I'll make the best decision on what to do, ......NEXT! LOL.

Ttysoon, ....L8r T8rs!

Mark

PS> I think I said, already; I got the injectors back and they were 186-189 across the board, like brand new, and the three that were leaking badly are all fixed up. I'll get pics of those, tomorrow...MAN they look new. Gotta say, RC ENGINEERING ROCKS! And yes, they take stuff in the mail! Please check em out if you're needing that service.

you took some good detailed pics.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM

GUYS, WUTYA THINK? ......

THINK I can get it for 3k$ ... I know the original owner and this owner, great mechanics, .... could I turn it around and make anything?

254, 000mi.HG, brakes new, radiator new, tiny bit of rust behind rear wheel Wells, dime size spots, otherwise very clean and running perfect.

PLEASE GUYS, I wish have to move on this quick. .. He hasa couple highly possible buyers. Not fluff, I know the person. ... Thanx in advance!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 01-16-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
front end looks to have a leak on the one side an as with all toys the flat springs
id take her for a drive see how the engine feels and of course put her in 4x4 make sure bout the transfer case
Old 01-16-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
No feet. ... Its a rail that will be directly flush with the roof. I'll show pix and video sooner than later
Oh yeah, I remember that rail. Doing pretty good, Mark. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn bro veru nice truck. I 2nd what william said. Not bad dude SFA vehichle woot. Let me know how goes dude. Id definitely buy something like that truck over my buddies 2000 2wd prerunner.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

What would a truck like that normally go for like that out there? Around here I could probably get $3 to $4K for it or more, possibly the right buyer. It is a great looking truck, one thing that is hurting you in your area is that so many are in great, solid, rust free conditon. Look at what you think your profit margin is at and time. Someone in the rustbelt would pay that price quick, just for a solid truck as that.

Depending on cost to do the front axle seals ( I dont know the cost as I have never done them), I might would clean it up and fix other minor issues on it to sell. The more you put into it, the least likely you are going to get it back out unless it is really something special, if that is the right words to use.

If I did it right and had my time and effort into it, I barely budge on price at all. In fact, one low baller kept trying to get me down alot on price and I went up on him a few hundred. Be willing to sit on it for awhile in that case. Some one will eventually buy it if the price is fair.

In most cases, Toyota parts are the best with few exception, one being Marlin Crawler or Low Range ( I think) dont remembe which one it is. But my front axle leaks on my 85, and that is one that I am going to use to fix the leak. I can find that info for you later. But from what I have studied, there is one axle seal kit that is better then Toyota.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-16-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marlin is the one with better inner axle seals, and also SORD has some of the same seals as Marlin, as they're made by Yukon.
That might be a tough one to make money on, especially if it's an '84 and not an RE. Could be done, but like Terry said, gotta be firm on the price and willing to maybe sit on it for awhile. Is it an '84 or '85?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 PM

Hey guys, I just wanted to answer you really quickly before I headed out,... As it's a pretty simple answer.... It's an 85. And yes, I agree, this would be a hard to profit on type project. I spoke to him this evening, is a very nice dude, but I had an emergency come up that will not allow me to meet with them tonight. If I was going to keep this, and maybe if it had a blown motor at 1500 less or more, allowing me to do a 3 RZ swap,.... Maybe? But, considering it's a 22r, long bed, bone stock, needing a bit of maintenance work and seal work and such, I think it would be a tight squeeze to make anything in the aspect of just a sale, you know?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 01-16-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 AM

Hey guys, ....

HAD 2 get out there 2day and get something done on the projects.... BUT FIRST> ........

WHAT THE HECK IS IT? hehehe

So, then I figured I had better get crackin on SOMETHING related to all the Projects I have all of the parts for before I'm stoned at a public Yotatech event! haha.....

First, a video explaining some of what I got and plan to do, etc....

http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&rdm=0519

Then I got some pics of the calipers, master and booster clean up......

..... I've put a lot of work into this in an insane day with a chunk of spare time.....

QUESTION:

SHOULD I PAINT THESE CALIPERS OR NOT? lol. .... I have a full can of "HEADER PAINT".... supposed to be 1400*F proof.... But honestly? I really don't care if my calipers ate painted. ...., UNLESS it will help in some way?? Ive read it iz good....and bad, but really, my newer 4cyl ones are fine looking and were never painted 15k mi. ago to now..... eh? Lol

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 01-17-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you can paint them if you want the high temp paint is a good choice all the paint does is give them a nice look an can make them a tiny bit easier to clean later on brake dust will stick tenaciously to anything given time

an yay parts! ooh pretty booster lol
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say paint 'em... Even if you don't see it usually, it's just one more part of the truck that looks good and it doesn't take much time to do

When are the sliders going on?

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread