86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
those grab handles are always nice to find the 90 has the mounts up there above the headliner on the driver side but toy never put one in

just a good idea put some blue lock tight on the threads as they will back off a bit over time
Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
those grab handles are always nice to find the 90 has the mounts up there above the headliner on the driver side but toy never put one in

just a good idea put some blue lock tight on the threads as they will back off a bit over time
YEP, you're right, William... I DID put one in my Driver side 87 4Runner (It has the holes there too! .... LOVE it, and it comes in handy CONSTANTLY... If you noticed, the 1st Gens leave a lil bit of finagling at times to get adjusted in the seat... Where I had to push back with my back and scoot up, etc. Now I just hold on for leverage and wont have to weld my seats back rest frame ......AGAIN! .... SOME day, ya know? The back seats in our 4Runners have 2 pop out caps above each rear passenger... They seem to be EXACTLY the same width as these.... So I'ma try to put some in... If they're not there, oh well, I'll shoot em to someone else who wants driver side handles.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 01-06-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Glad to hear you are getting your sliders. Just trying to do alittle catching up. It has been so cold here and I have been running a million miles the past few days that I havent been able to get anything done.

On the calipers, they are easily seperated and to tear apart and put togther. The center seal in the bore is one that if it is good I would just leave it alone but all of the rest are easily replaced. Use low air pressure to pop the pistons out and do quick pumping actions on the air nozzle, it will send that piston flying if you have it seperated.

Here is the axle ratios for you.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 AM

Thanks, Terry! Anything I'll need to do this job, especially? (changing things in the LPSV, etc?) I have the Corax Thread saved on 3 different sites, couple others as well... I can't WAIT to have safer breaks, ... especially since I'm planning more and more stuff for this thing(If I can do it cheap, lol) that will take my lil Redrum-Princess to the limits! lol. Wanna be ABLE TO STOP! hahaha.

Far as the gears... WHERE THE HECK IS THAT PRINTED??? GRRR, lol... I spent too much time wasting Richards time, as he was looking up stuff for me.... But I couldn't find the numbers on the badge in the door. I found numbers, and the Vin is always there.. but never could figure that out/where it is.

Like, in this 86 Landcruiser(SFA)... NO CLUE what kinda gears it has.... BUT HOLY CRAPULA, ...that's some BEEFY ARSE FRONT AND REAR AXLE!!! ESPECIALLY the front one! Was thinking of grabbing the Front Axle...but couldn't figure out over the phone if it's a good one for SAS(NO, guys... I'm not there, yet, if ever... Just looking into it..and why not grab it and build it up if it's a popular one cuz it's wider, etc.?(stuff I THOUGHT i read.... My poor brain, lol)....

Anyway, ... felt bad leaving that Landcruiser there... only got the Aisin Hubs for SFA off it... BUT, removing an Axle... that's a BIG job that I'd GLADLY tackle.... BUT, would need a Pick Up or something to get out of there, most likely(I'm not a primmadonna with my rig, ...but C'MON! lol... Shoulda seen this thing... it was GREASSSSSSSSSSY! lol. (mostly from the motor.. But, gear oil, etc...... Meh, like I said, I didn't even know IF it's a popular one for Crawlers... and I'm sure it's not cheap... so why take that chance on a pricey 'MAYBE', right? lol.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I not sure which thread I have it printed in, I will look it up. I can send it to you in text over the phone. I got a copy of it in my phone just to have it easily available while in the yards. You me to text it to you?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 AM

Sure, you can text it... But I don't have my smart phone yet.. can't get pics or files or stuff that requires the internet...(I KNOW, lol... BUT, NO WAY, Sir, am I spending 15$ more a month or more to get crappy service and not beable to see anything sent on my silly lil phone! lol.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gear code is found on the door plate right here

And someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but the LC axle isn't very popular for the swap cause though it's wider and heavier, it's still the same birfields as the mini axle, and the 9.5" diff is kind of oddball. Friends with you may have an 8" diff for a spare in case of trail breakage, but nobody's got a 9.5"
Not sure on high steer parts, other than obviously longer links, and they're spring under, so modification is necessary to run them like mini axles.

I still think it would be awesome to run both front and rear under my runner, but as I understand it the 9.5" e locker isn't easy to retrofit like the 8" and I LOVE my e locker.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am not on the internet phones yet either. Wifey is, Im not. I will be the very last person to switch. I dont like changes. Once I find something that works for me, I stay with it. I sent it, not sure if it will come thru. I am on the old style and it shows up fine for me. Handy to just have it in the phone.

JohnnyBoy...You are correct on the pic above. As far as I know it is only on the drivers door on the 2nd gen. Been a longtime since I had a second gen and not sure it is elsewhere.

The way I understand the LC axles are alot stronger, but from what I understand is the width makes them unfeasible. Seems like they are a great axle otherwise. I was doing some studying on them and using a 4BT diesel those axles will support that motor and even our mini trucks with the solid axle isnt strong enough for the weight of the 4BT motor.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
You'll beat me and my talk only flip phone to it Terry, if it's the last thing you do.

Checking in Chef, saying good morning.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Jonny, GREAT info! Thanks.... I could find that, eventually, surfing... but NO TIME, so I'm VERY grateful that you took a minute to share your knowledge with the Chef. Yeah, those pumpkins were HUGE! For that thing, anyway.

Terry, Also good info! Thanks, man! OH, Terry, ... case I forget; I HAVE to eventually fix my climate control carnage, lol. What I THINK happened is that the bottom right gate control thingy, at the 'HINGE', has come loose from the plastic apparatus... OR, the apparatus itself snapped. ... I can see in there, when I pull on that lever on the bottom right, that it drops down... THAT is why my and many 87+ climate control faces with the lil people pictures on them break(aside from being POCRAP plastic compared to the 2nd Gens! lol)... Might also do the heater core while I'm in there... It's 26 years old now and gets REALLY hot, but takes FOREVER to get there, especially when it's cold! haha. Yeah, kinda defeats the purpose of the heater, lol. My gates and all the stuff the cables are connected to are all opening(unless a flap snapped and collapsed like Jasons?) .... Might have air in the system too, far as the miss... getting in through the TINY leak in the heater control hose that connects to the driver side timing cover hard coolant line?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
You'll beat me and my talk only flip phone to it Terry, if it's the last thing you do.

Checking in Chef, saying good morning.
HABERNATOR! My favorite Yotatechette/Sassy Wheelin Momma! lol. (shhh, don't tell the other Ladies on here.... .... Oh yeah, .... darn public forums! )

GOOD MORNING AND GOOD DAY TO YOU AS WELL, HON!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Tube in good shape for Richard/Redeth.......
THANK YOU!!!!! thats the right one. Mine is all hard around the ends and held together with electrical tape. lol thats the last hose i need to replace too. Woot. how much do i owe you for that one?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Gear code is found on the door plate right here

And someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but the LC axle isn't very popular for the swap cause though it's wider and heavier, it's still the same birfields as the mini axle, and the 9.5" diff is kind of oddball. Friends with you may have an 8" diff for a spare in case of trail breakage, but nobody's got a 9.5"
Not sure on high steer parts, other than obviously longer links, and they're spring under, so modification is necessary to run them like mini axles.

I still think it would be awesome to run both front and rear under my runner, but as I understand it the 9.5" e locker isn't easy to retrofit like the 8" and I LOVE my e locker.
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Glad to hear you are getting your sliders. Just trying to do alittle catching up. It has been so cold here and I have been running a million miles the past few days that I havent been able to get anything done.

On the calipers, they are easily seperated and to tear apart and put togther. The center seal in the bore is one that if it is good I would just leave it alone but all of the rest are easily replaced. Use low air pressure to pop the pistons out and do quick pumping actions on the air nozzle, it will send that piston flying if you have it seperated.

Here is the axle ratios for you.
Lol this is exactly what i was talking about too haha See i know i wasnt going crazy. I was looking at a different page. but it was pretty much the same info.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
THANK YOU!!!!! thats the right one. Mine is all hard around the ends and held together with electrical tape. lol thats the last hose i need to replace too. Woot. how much do i owe you for that one?
Yeah, it's a lil hard on the top one, compared to the air box one... BUT, no cracks Just lube the vacuum inlet on the higher portion and air box to make it easier(ok, ok,... SHUT UP! haha)... But seriously, it should help. Ummmmm, they charged me .... I think 2.50? I KNOW, RAPE! lol... BTW, you can have all the ones I've gotten for ya... They're mostly in really good shape... then you'll have extras. Just give me like ....a good Cheeseburger for all 5? lol... And yes, I DO pay for them, as I WILL NEVER get banned from PYP for taking a HOSE, NO THANK YOU! HAHAHA. Now that they know me well, they NEVER go through my stuff any more(depending on who it is)... not even Reuben does, lol.. I KNOW, CRAZY, ISN'T THAT? haha. He's the nosiest dude ever. He dug through my things enough times and never found a single snaggle-treat, lol.... So I COULD put a Set of Gears in 2 days in the bucket! hahahahaha.. JK.... Anyway...

Lol this is exactly what i was talking about too haha See i know i wasnt going crazy. I was looking at a different page. but it was pretty much the same info.
Yeah, it was a LIL different on the Landcruiser... And I recall saying "A/TM # ?" several times on the 94 I was on next... But I couldn't remember that picture! GRR! lol. That was 4.88's in that 94.... Oh well.... I'll BEAT THEM TO IT ONE DAY!!!! lol. It was too late to start that anyhow... Sorry to bug ya with that while you were wrenching the Corolla!... And, thanks!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 PM

Yeah, it was a LIL different on the Landcruiser... And I recall saying "A/TM # ?" several times on the 94 I was on next... But I couldn't remember that picture! GRR! lol. That was 4.88's in that 94.... Oh well.... I'll BEAT THEM TO IT ONE DAY!!!! lol. It was too late to start that anyhow... Sorry to bug ya with that while you were wrenching the Corolla!... And, thanks!
Mmmm bummer. that would have been sweet to be able to get a pair of 4.88's oh well. As for the calling me dont worry about it. its all good. i know you will help me on random phone calls as best you can too if you have time.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 PM

PS> Anyone know what would be the best way to clean out that Master Reservoir? .... Maybe soak it in something? Just wanna be careful, ya know? Richard looked it up for me... 68$ for that reservoir assembly, OEM, ALONE! Yeah, I'd be going aftermarket on that part if they made it.. I don't care about that thing as much as the Master and Booster and Calipers(those got shot several times with parts cleaner, tonight... Coming along nicely... Gonna pull them apart like Terry and give them a good cleaning... THEN, I WILL use these pads.... I mean, they're OEM and like BRAND NEW... wouldn't that be OK???? They've got NO uneven wearing, at all! (not to the eye... I'll take the Micrometer to them, just for kicks.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 PM

Mmmm bummer. that would have been sweet to be able to get a pair of 4.88's oh well. As for the calling me dont worry about it. its all good. i know you will help me on random phone calls as best you can too if you have time.
Oops, missed this one, lol...

Yeah, I've tried to help when you call... Not sure I'm always a big help.. But just share what we know, right? (or THINK we know, anyhow ) Burger at that Burger Joint I told you about and s'all good, k? haha... And Maybe some help installing a 1UZ in a couple years or so? Just about 100 hours work... that's all... C'MONNNNNNN! hehehe.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 AM

clean the outside with any degreaser like that mean green stuff but inside id use only brake parts cleaner an a clean lint free cloth
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
clean the outside with any degreaser like that mean green stuff but inside id use only brake parts cleaner an a clean lint free cloth
Thanks, Buddy....

I need to hit Wallyworld or Parts Store and get more Degreaser.... They're really just a lil rusty and dirty... Will be pretty easy to clean, just was curious what to use. I'll finish them off with Alcohol before painting them.

Yeah, so far, I've only used "CRC Brake Parts and Parts Cleaner"....
Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 PM

Thanks, Buddy....

I need to hit Wallyworld or Parts Store and get more Degreaser.... They're really just a lil rusty and dirty... Will be pretty easy to clean, just was curious what to use. I'll finish them off with Alcohol before painting them.

Yeah, so far, I've only used "CRC Brake Parts and Parts Cleaner"....
well reasoning behind it is the rubber parts in the brake system dont like any oil based materials they swell an become very soft

other cleaners that arent brake parts systems approved might leave a residue of oil which would in the long run cause damage
just FYI

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread