86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
DANGG, you're kidding! I'm sorry, man.....I thought you knew I was waiting on that one from Jimmie, ....oh well, I will help you sell it if you need to, just let me know.

I'm about to blow a gasket, pun intended, so I'm going to go see SPLICE, before having to do late/dinner for them, later.

thanks alot, man, and if you have any ideas, SHOOT EM AT ME, K? I really need to get this going or get it in to someone who can. Trying fuel pump tomorrow, already have it anyway, so why not, eh?
Old 06-05-2010, 03:59 PM

and a to ANYONE who figures this out.....Oh yeah, and Cookies, as promised! lol.

Chef OUTTIE!
Old 06-05-2010, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would the vacumm change with the engine rpm?? maybe the fpr is making it too rich that could be why it runs better when you diconnect vacumm from it and then bad when you put it back. just a thought.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:55 PM

Yeah, Cougar, .. could be, I suppose. Guess I'll have to do a fuel pressure test and go from there, yet I think that there is only one way to check the FPR. All new to me, some of this, so I'm not really sure if that's likely or not, and I want to avoid throwing money at it, especially at 'maybe's' that I can't really verify, first, ya know? Yet, ...yes, that's what I thought, Cougar...Either that or the fuel pump I was thinking could be going bad and just getting worse as it goes, not creating enough fuel pressure.

Time for another checklist, I guess.........ahhhhhhh
Old 06-05-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Chef,

Sorry I've been missing this thread! I've been at ASR and sample sales for the past week for work...anyways any progress? Well obviously lol there's a new page added every day!

I talked to my brother about this issue, but I can't really mention anything that someone hasn't already brought up, or that you've already tested. He said the two most common problems to cause this are TPS and IAC issues...I think you might be on to something with vacuum testing

Anyways, best of luck as always and I hope to see a youtube video of you chirpin gears like joe dirt in that thing!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:04 PM

Hey Joe,

Yeah, I have a TPS, but it's brand new and I can't return it if it's bolted on(unless I'm REAAAAAAAAAALLY CAREFUL! LOL).

Anyway, yeah, whether it's a vacuum related valve or switch, SOMETHING happens when I remove the vacuum to the FPReg., plugging the line shut. It actually seems to be getting worse, each time I mess with it. I clear the ECU, but it doesn't seem to matter.....SOMETHING IS GOING OUT, slowly but surely. I'm hoping my friend can do a smoke test this coming week, and that might be AFTER i get that AFM in the mail from Jimmie(JBM715). I thought the AFM would be here today, but it's only been since the 1st(COULD HAVE SWORN it was longer than 3 days!AHAHA) it's coming from NC, so probably be Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Jimmie mailed em off first thing the next morning after ordering, so either way, it wont be LONG. Hopefully it's in good shape and I can eliminate or confirm that quickly.

Yer bro said TPS or IAC(V?). Yeah, heard that too. As I said, I want to eliminate the AFM before installing the TPS(got it for CHEAPPPPPP, btw, through my parts counter bud at TOYOTA), but still...if I don't need it, I don't need it, right?

I'm leaning toward, well, Either FPR, VSV, FUEL PUMP, AFM, TPS or VACUUM LEAK!(LORD DON'T LET IT BE THE INTAKE OR TB, ...BUT WHATEVER, LOL....DON'T CARE AS LONG AS I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!!!!!). Then again, it COULD BE ANYTHING! So I'll have to get through it all to find out.

Just losing my patience and wondering if I'll ever figure this out at this point, lol. I know, what good will that do.....I agree.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-05-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
haha yeah I hear you on that one those little guys are expensive!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:43 PM

Thanks Joe,

Oh well, I've been trying, what more can I say at this point. I have this on 3 sites and couple other questionnaire sites....NOTHING yet. Well, YES, people here are trying, and I'M SO GRATEFUL....but the other sites, ..nothing yet. And, well, no resolution to the problem, period. Just lots of variables to get through.

Thanks again for asking the Bro, Joe, .....appreciate it.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-05-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:18 PM

Well......goodnight, my fellow Yota'lovers.......hope I can narrow it down more, tomorrow, or when the AFM or fuel pressure test results show something.

Take care,

Chef
Old 06-06-2010, 02:22 PM

Update; (Sorry, still nothing definitive) BUT.......

I finally had time, today, to check a couple things suggested by some good people, including 4Crawler.

1st, I had to stop and get a vacuum pump. Used to have one but lost it. Pep boys had a MITYVAC tester/bleeder kit for 15$, half price! NABBED IT! Lol. can't hurt to have one and there are MANY tests, that I'm reading of, that can NOT be done without a vacuum PUMP, in tendem with a gauge at times(I.e., BVSV)

Headed home with the pump and warmed up the truck. Sorry, SUV! LOL.

Ok, so I got a MityVac Pump-Test/Bleeder kit and then, first, I checked the EGR, by checking whether it held vacuum and whether it was open at warm-up. It held strong at 12". When warm, I disconnected the vacuum line to it, checked the line and it had NO vacuum unless I had it up in RPM's. Even then, it would fall, even if I kept the idle to it.(Is that normal? It doesn't say in the instructions). The BVSV switches vacuum to it or not from the vacuum rail bolted to the intake, right? Anyway, then pulled the vacuum line to the EGR(fully warm) and it didn't change idle. Then plugged the feed line and Pumped 10" Air into the EGR, at 2000rpm's, and the engine wanted to die(instructions said that's good).

I then thought I'd test the BVSV and when warm, hooked Pump to bottom tube and gauge to upper tube, pumped air into the lower tube and the gauge read 10" Vacuum(Instructions also said that's good,....but the vacuum didn't hold strong and the instructions didn't mention that. Wondered if anyone had a thought on that one?)

Ok, so next I'm going to read up on checking the fuel pressure and then, see if'n it's an issue. Still seems to be 'coolant temp/vacuum' related(VSV or otherwise, maybe?...They're electrical, would they have a code?), but as most say, "COULD BE ANYTHING,....except for this, this, this, this, and oh yeah....that!" lol.

I don't care if it's something as stupid as a gas cap at this point....I really don't! I'LL LAUGH FOR 2 HOURS IF THAT'S THE CASE! This is not a competition for me, with an inanimate object! lol....I just want to GET OUT THERE THIS SUMMER! AHHHHHHHHH! LOL. I guess I'm heading in the right direction, P.O.E.! However, there are some things I can't seem to find, pertaining to how to test them, etc. You know, like that lil green guy that keeps running around and laughing when my hands are full, poking me in the shins?????? NO, not the Lucky Charms guy! lol. He keeps saying "Moguai! Moguai!" .......NO ONE? OH geez, I guess I really am losing it at this point, lol.

It's so weird that it wants to drive fine when warm, but just wont idle properly, nor smooth out and stay there any longer....and yet, I CAN'T SEEM TO FIGURE IT OUT!!!!!!!!

Oh well, in case anyone reads this soon, KEEP PRODDING ME! K? lol.

Chef Outtie for now!
Old 06-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Wait a min. chef all you're saying is the truck will drive fine but when sitting at idle tends to run poorly right? Dude if that's the case just bump up your timing a little. When i did my engine it would run ok when the timing was set at 5deg btdc but if i bumped it up a little it ran like i wanted it to. There is a bolt holding the distributor that you loosen and advance the timing. Couldn't hurt to try just move it little by little and check your results. If it's too far advanced it'll have some spark knock so don't go too far. Figure you'vce timed it the right way so far right so if you don't like the results just put it back to spec no harm no foul. Mark where the dist was with a small paint mark and go from there. My truck has the o.s. valves and a 268 cam and runs waaay better with the timing a little advanced. If it's at 5 deg btdc it'll run poorly.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:29 PM

Hey Guys, .....

Replaced the Fuel Pump, just hours ago. Finally got to drive it around and it's hard to tell if it's any better at all....therein, you can tell, it didn't fix anything. I already had the fuel pump(Japanese, yes, lol) since before I even got the motor back....So don't worry, I'm not just simply buying parts until I figure it out.

Something interesting, however, and I'm not sure it's related. FUEL PUMP WAS EASY, (stupid book almost got me to drop the tank!!!) but when removing the feed hoses on top, I noticed that the one to the left(standing on pass. side) was grinding into the seat-bottom body, to the point that it had worn through to be a hole. It was actually right where the metal fuel-line ended and I could clearly see the inside of the hose from there, through the hole. HOWEVER, there was NO fuel spilling out of it and ................... NO CHANGE after replacing the fuel pump, OTHER THAN; When I pulled in the garage this time, after getting gas, it stayed running smooth for about 3 minutes(hasn't done that since this started getting pretty bad)....but that was short lived and it eventually idled down and ..........here I am, SAME OLD CRAP!
Old 06-06-2010, 07:30 PM

Hey Mighty,

Yeah, it was actually running like crap before I set the timing to the Factory 5*. I've found in the past with my other 22re's, I could go to 8* and always have a lil more power. But, in this case, I'm fairly certain it's something entirely different. It will run well 'COLD', for about a minute, then turns to TOTAL crap after BARELY warming up(not 'WARM' as in 'Coolant is at 170' warm...just,.... 'Beginning to go into open loop' kinda warm). From there, it runs VERY crappy, dropping in idle to about 500rpm's, seemingly missing, and will only seem to come out of it if I 'DRIVE IT OUT OF IT', whether it's just starting to happen or has been happening for a while. However, now(unlike when it FIRST started showing signs of this about 3 months ago, where it would just do it on occasion and then quickly fix itself). It threw an 'o2' sensor code, so I replaced it, and it switched it's symptoms around a lil, but still progressively got worse. NOWWWWW, even with the new motor, everything and I mean EVERYTHING cleaned up, in and out, ..it's still there, and seeming to stay the same at this point, ....(Pretty bad but not stalling, etc.) Also, when I let it get fully warm, driving around, etc., it used to work itself out, before the build(but not really having anything to do with the build, if you kwi-mean?)

So, yeah, it was doing this exact same thing at about 8-10* btdc... It's got to be something either coolant(temp) or fuel(pressure, tps, afm????? who knows) related.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:32 AM

Hey Chef! Nice build you have there.

I I finaly got my seats after waiting close to 2 hours. I saw that afm on the counter of that wrecking yard, it was soaked in wd40 .

I will go back and read some of your post. I will see if I can come up with any ideas for you, hopefully you have solved that problem already.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:57 AM

DANG, CHIP, HOW ARE YOU? I sent you a PM, but in case you check this first, the troubleshooting part of this thread(which is where it's at until it's resolved) is right HERE. <<<CLICK ON THAT, HAHAHA

Was cool talking to you at that CRAZY yard in Fontana! lol. Glad you got that worked out, but DANG, 2 HOURS? .....'See what I mean, guys?', lol.

Hope to see you over at the troubleshooting thread....and it was very nice to meet you, Mr.Chip, ...you're a nice guy and you've got a REALLY nice Rig!

Mark
Old 06-09-2010, 09:55 AM

I'll be checking back to this thread a lot in the coming weeks as I get my new 87 4runner into shape. And as a fellow chef I like that you tossed in some food pics!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:48 AM

THANKS D.O.K.!!! Hope you're not having the problems I am.....if you're interested, go to this thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...needed-213514/ , to help me figure this out! lol.

GUYS, UPDATE; I'm adding a few videos of all my symptoms, thought it might help. There are 6 Videos(wanted to keep em short), and if you could PLEASE watch them over on that thread from the link above, I'D BE SO GRATEFUL FOR ANY AND ALL INPUT!!!

THANKS,

Mark
Old 06-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Still following both threads Chef. Wish I had something to add. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:25 PM

Hahhaha, Thanks Rob, ....

I'm not in a huge hurry, just hate having to rely on the bosses for their CRV....yet I do love driving that car, hahaha. No, I don't love it as much as driving my 4Runner, uh uh! lol. But DANG, for a 2.7 4cyl....the lil aphid lookin thing FLIES! Lol.

You probably read over there, "The new TPS is in"(was free, so why not, eh?lol)...and it's running differently now, hahaha...but still having issues. I'll get it, eventually. Just one of those things...You know. ....where you start it up, originally, and it's PURRING, ....then 'babuhhhhhhbabuhhhhhhhhh, puppupuppppp puppp upppp" .....GRRR, lol. I love a challenge, I just really want to get out there this summer, ...you know, well, BEFORE IT'S FALL? lol hahaha. I also want to move on to the Suspension, but NO WAY until I get this figgerd! lol.

Good looking out, Rob, I'd ask for every part I can think of from ya, ....but I think it's best to just pin it down to what it is, and then go from there, haha. Plus, who knows, if something happened with the mail, ya know? I'd have to be looking over my back for a pimped out Taco, hahahaha. Jk, thanks again for that, Rob, really nice of ya!

Oh yeah, that guy above who said he 'saw that AFM in the yard' I drove to? NICE TACO he has, too. It's that forest metallic green? Anyway, he was there when I drove out that day on the '6 HOUR TRIP FOR NOTHING!" LOL.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Oh yeah, that guy above who said he 'saw that AFM in the yard' I drove to? NICE TACO he has, too. It's that forest metallic green? Anyway, he was there when I drove out that day on the '6 HOUR TRIP FOR NOTHING!" LOL.[/quote]

Thanks! Its silver lol. I am usually pretty good at this stuff. Its so wierd that it just kicks on after 3k rpm.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread