86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deep fried prime rib??!!!!! WT?...

my beef was just a little 3lb bottom round... marinated for 1.5 days in about a 1/2 cup of red wine vinegar and 2/3 cup Revolution Red wine {cali} then rubbed with a boubon pepper spice blend and roasted for about 3 hrs at 325F with the marinade and another 6oz glass of the wine... browned the roast on all sides first than added a big nob of butter and sweated a small onion and about 4 cloves of garlic first... at 1.5 hrs threw in a bunch of chopped carrots and at about 2hrs tossed in a bunch of sliced mushrooms...

after it was done I tented the roast on a heated plate for 15mins to rest while i did that I removed the carrots, most of the 'shrooms, and onions to a serving bowl and on the stove top added a tbsp of flour and 1/2 cup of 35% cream to the jus and heated to just boiling and hit it with the boatmotor [immersion blender] to process the remaining veg...

served all with yukon golds whipped with a nob of butter and more 35% cream...

have to say was one of the best meals I 've done yet... very happy with the gravy and the meat just melted in the mouth even at med. well [to satisfy other diners quirks]... though next time I would cut the vinegar by half there was still a bit of tang to it...

think I may have to send you a pm Mark...

fyi guys bottom round is one of the cheaper cuts of beef and the key to a good result is to cook it low and slow.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm posting this here, in case SOMEONE saw the post... Which was directed at me... I just can't find it, haha...

They asked for "Tailgate Latches" in the tailgate.... PRETTY sure it's ChildrenofBoddom .... but I'll find out tomorrow at a reasonable hour, lol.

I also had the FULL recipe for my most Common method of prime rib/Ribeye Roast ....... Of course it restarted while I was away for a few before I could finish it or post it or save it to my notepad, .... ETC! lol. GRRRRRR! I'll do it asap.

I'll post the deep fried method too, for those who have turkey friers or at least 8-10# meats capable friers. Could be smaller, sure nuff...

Anyway, I'm passing out... LONG day... L8r T8rs! Happy New years eve to you all!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Happy New Year Mark.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 AM

Thank you, very much, Paul! ...... and the same to you! Hope it's a good balance of Snow and Clear, that you and yours stay healthy, that the Toyota Powers That Be send good/hard to find thingymadoers your way...... Ya know, the important things! hehe.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!

PS> Paul, ..... I'm going to post my more common recipe for Prime Rib Roast.... But I had it all typed out, lots of semantics about it for fun, and it was DELETED ON SOME AUTO RESTART! grrr! I know, I know,...but sometimes I have to walk away, in fact I OFTEN have to walk away from something I'm posting in my 'leisure realm'.

I'll put it up next though... I'll try.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:34 AM

wish the yota gods would shine down on me just did my compression test.... and re did it shortly after and again couldn't believe the results but i guess when its the same 3 times in a row then its not lieing..

Happy new years all the same to you and yours Mark!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bbrideau did you take an squirt some oil in then do the test again? it could be valve related and perhaps not rings just hoping
Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM

hmm, thats what i forgot to check... oh well i've decided to rebuild from top to bottom, so it will be getting new pistons rings etc since the master rebuild kit from engnbldr comes with all that. gonna have it all documented through my build up tho! chefs build up has definitely made me want to get to know my little yota, this threads full of lots of really good information.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:57 PM

You know, i like reading build threads from beginning to end....but i think ill skim yours chef! Wow 222 pages....read swimmerboy2112's and a lot of irab88's but yours is more than both of theres combined. Awesome runner!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by dakotawho
You know, i like reading build threads from beginning to end....but i think ill skim yours chef! Wow 222 pages....read swimmerboy2112's and a lot of irab88's but yours is more than both of theres combined. Awesome runner!

This thread has VAST amounts of information that will help many people out for a long time to come! hell it inspired me to "get to know" my rig.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by NickMiller
I know what you're going through with the memory loss... One of my relatives (VERY close to me) is going through the same thing right now and it's a tough pill to swallow for the people that surround them. Like always, you're in my prayers

Yep, it's tough..... Especially for those who live with them?> YES TO THAT, as well... And NOT just due to the fact that you have to watch it..... Not just because they're suffering at times, in many cases from it... But, ALSO, because THEY CAN BE DANGEROUS! MANY people come home after leaving someone forgetful at home to see the Fire Dept. in front of their smoldering home... The loved one in the driveway(GOD WILLING), just fine... but having put a TV dinner on the stove top..... POOF, life has changed for everyone in an instant. Yeah, the hardest day to day parts are; KEEPING THEM SAFE and POSITIVE! They get VERY depressed, at times. The ONLY cure for that is COMPANIONSHIP! I had MANY rough times with my Stepfather.... But HE LOVED my company... even if he HATED the fact that he was emasculated and had to be helped by me, the 'GUY WHO IS HEALTHY/the guy who also is very loved by his wife'(My mom)... They can become VERY resentful..... BUT THEY NEEEEEEEEEEED that companionship.... AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! ... (And, ... a Man needs the companionship of other men in his life, period, not just at that age or stage of disease.)

I sure wish you and yours the best, Nick! Thanks for your prayers and intercession!

Now, ...I gotta go see if I missed a post on your 'light wiring'... Should be nice... I like DC stuff... I have a set of 8" lights that they don't make any longer(iirc)... BRIGHT AS DAYLIGHT! lol.

Originally Posted by ksti
Hey Mark,

Where's the doggy bag form Barley Bros?

My brother was up there in August, say's it was hella hot and dry air.
Coming down from Bull Head City he stopped in Havasu and ate at Barley Bros. Said the sliders and ale were the bomb.
August? YES, it was hot.... Around 115-120*F .... This time, it was 33*F at night and maybe 62*F high during the day? We all were wearing pants and a light coat the whole time, lol.

BBros? Hahaha.... It's ok there. Some things are great, some? Meh... BUT, this time, EVERYONE'S food was FANTASTIC! I had a "Monster" Burger or something... 10oz. Ground Fresh Chuck, etc., lol... SOOOOOOO JUICY, very free of "ooooh, what's that crunchy/rubbery thing in there???" hahhaaa.... Sis got Pasta Pom.! .... Dad had New York Steak Sliders.... Mom LOVED her Manhattan New York Steak Sandwich, ... Hmmmm.... Let's see... My bro ordered that "Pastrami Straw" thingy(SICK-GOOD! LOL).... and my Nephew got a "The Don" Calzone, lol..... Amazing how you can remember orders and stuff when 'food' is what you do, hahaha. People seem to like the beer, too... I'm not sure on that.... I was very picky about my beer. LOVED Boddingtons, Murphy's, Bastard, Stella's ok, lol..... BUT, I'd quit drinking before I ever went there... So I'd not be of help there... Just know they brew their own Beer, like 12 types? Nice Atmosphere..... Good view of the Lake and Night Lights from the Window Seats... It's a fun place, ... (OH, all the SMOKING HOT Waitresses isn't a TERRRRRRRRRRible thing, either.... hahaha...).. NOT being a perv, lol.... They're not dressed in Bikini's... just seem to hire very 'PRETTY' people, lol.

Originally Posted by bbrideau
wish the yota gods would shine down on me just did my compression test.... and re did it shortly after and again couldn't believe the results but i guess when its the same 3 times in a row then its not lieing..

Happy new years all the same to you and yours Mark!
I've had wonky threaded fittings on mine.... The seal just wouldn't seat... So all of them read like 30-40#PSI.... I used a open ended socket and tightened it down around 1/2PSI of the plugs... and it finally sat and I got all the same holes to read 165-170#PSI accross the board. HOWEVER; since you're talking about what sounds like a minor grenade went off in there.. It's probably bad... But it usually doesn't look super bad accross the board on these.... Like William said, do the oil squirt in there and start over. Also, DON'T OVERTIGHTEN the tester.. but make sure it's seated.... You can Toilet Paper around what should be sealed, not tight, and just see if it blows in the wind! lol... If so, you KNOW it's not sealed.... You'll get it, either way, rebuild deluxe or minor....

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
bbrideau did you take an squirt some oil in then do the test again? it could be valve related and perhaps not rings just hoping

hmm, thats what i forgot to check... oh well i've decided to rebuild from top to bottom, so it will be getting new pistons rings etc since the master rebuild kit from engnbldr comes with all that. gonna have it all documented through my build up tho! chefs build up has definitely made me want to get to know my little yota, this threads full of lots of really good information.
Thanks, man... I LOVE hearing that it's helping someone... I just need to REALLY do a 'summary' thread on the side... Just info/solutions/technical/videos, etc. Terrys87 is doing that right now... I just haven't found the time...

Originally Posted by dakotawho
Hahhaa... Thanks, I like her! lol... And yeah, it's a lot... As I said up there in the previous post... I NEED TO do a summary build thread BLOG or something... Not open for comment maybe? I don't know, I'll EVENTUALLY do it. And, I'll add to it as I go.

This thread has VAST amounts of information that will help many people out for a long time to come! hell it inspired me to "get to know" my rig.
WOOT! like i said.... "what it's ALLLLLL about!" .... And, well, yeah... it's good to have a RUNNING ONE, lol... so yes, it's about THAT, as well, no doubt about that! haha.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"check my build thread" Where? LOL
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Yep, it's tough..... Especially for those who live with them?> YES TO THAT, as well... And NOT just due to the fact that you have to watch it..... Not just because they're suffering at times, in many cases from it... But, ALSO, because THEY CAN BE DANGEROUS! MANY people come home after leaving someone forgetful at home to see the Fire Dept. in front of their smoldering home... The loved one in the driveway(GOD WILLING), just fine... but having put a TV dinner on the stove top..... POOF, life has changed for everyone in an instant. Yeah, the hardest day to day parts are; KEEPING THEM SAFE and POSITIVE! They get VERY depressed, at times. The ONLY cure for that is COMPANIONSHIP! I had MANY rough times with my Stepfather.... But HE LOVED my company... even if he HATED the fact that he was emasculated and had to be helped by me, the 'GUY WHO IS HEALTHY/the guy who also is very loved by his wife'(My mom)... They can become VERY resentful..... BUT THEY NEEEEEEEEEEED that companionship.... AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! ... (And, ... a Man needs the companionship of other men in his life, period, not just at that age or stage of disease.)

I sure wish you and yours the best, Nick! Thanks for your prayers and intercession!

Now, ...I gotta go see if I missed a post on your 'light wiring'... Should be nice... I like DC stuff... I have a set of 8" lights that they don't make any longer(iirc)... BRIGHT AS DAYLIGHT! lol.

If you saw the "test fit" pics of the light bar then you're up to date... Bad weather and limited daylight are kind of getting in the way of the wiring :/
Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Buck87
"check my build thread" Where? LOL
HAHAHA.... Matt, that cracked me up... Thanks! lol. Yeah, I PROMISE that I will some day(granting I don't pass away first! lol)... do a NICE Concise thread on all the stuff I've done(Including the other 8 Threads or so that I've done in specific.)..... SMOG, WIRING IN MODS, ENGINE REBUILDS, TIMING KIT INSTALL, DIAGNOSIS, SUSPENSION, BRAKES, UJOINTS, BALL JOINTS, SEAT SWAPS, DIFF SWAPS, CV REBUILDS, INTERIOR WORK, OFF ROAD LIGHTING W/RELAYS AND SUCH-DONE RIGHT, CON-FERR(SOON TO COME), AUDIO, ... and so on..... Probably grab a bunch from Terrys87, Couple other guys, to make it more of a complete glossary, ya know?

Originally Posted by NickMiller
If you saw the "test fit" pics of the light bar then you're up to date... Bad weather and limited daylight are kind of getting in the way of the wiring :/
Hmmmmm, .... ok haha. JK... I just like seeing them with old school/new stuff..... Gonna be nice
Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 PM

Ohhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhh, boooooooooooey! lol....

Can't put the "My parts came in" smiley yet... BUT, got this from Adam at 4xinnovations, today....

"Chef,

We are working on sliders now. It should be around Monday or Tuesday next week that yours will ship. You will get an email with tracking information when your sliders ship.

Thank you,

Adam

4x Innovations
1-608-348-**** "

NOPE, ''THANK YOU, ADAM'', ..... I'm VERY excited to have this mod finally coming to fruition...... Gotta give a VERY cool Yotatechie with a BA RIG a holla.... Hopefully he can help me slap em on next week some time! (OR WHENEVER they arrive... I imagine around a week, maybe less... CA seems to get stuff FAST)

Trust me, guys... I know it doesn't show in text... but I'M SMILING AND VERY much looking forward to putting up the >>>>

Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hooooraaaayyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!! ** HAPPY DANCE ** WOOT WOOT!!!!
I DEMAND TO SEE PICTURES! NAOOOOOO!!!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:45 PM

Hmmmmm, ...ok... BUT, they're not my sliders.... I'm just pretending and living vicariously through this person>>> hahaha>>>>

Attached Thumbnails ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz4xi.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ooo that one really is nice. That's gonna look really good on your truck.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM

Thanks, Richard... I hope so!

I'm thinking of doing them in Bedliner... I have 2 cans I got from Biglots, name brand, for 5$ each! .... That way, I'd have 'GRIP' to em, ya know?

I can't wait to get them on
Old 01-03-2013, 08:32 PM

Happy for ya buddy.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 PM

HOLLA! lol... Sup Jason????? Hope you're well. Shoot me a call tomorrow, k? Wanted to chat over something with ya....

And btw, guys........ Whatcha think of my idea to do the sliders in Bedliner? Wouldn't that give me a good 'GRIP' on them, guys? Or should I just do gloss black and slap some grip tape on there?

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread