ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 04:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
CLASSIFIED AD;

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f109.../#post52015309
Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So many little goodies! Wish i lived close to you. I would come and probably pick up a lot of it. I like to horde toyota parts. I have 2 parted out trucks crammed onto my shed and a third one is in the works haha
Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
handles look like theyd fit! nice little bling goin on too now theres the kicker mark do the clips that hold the actuator rods fit in the handles? the screw seems to be in the perfect spot id say use um!
Old 12-20-2012, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I have never tried the Camry handles and never even thought about them being the same, I will need to check into it some time. I am wanting to go check out the boneyards just to see what they have and will look into.

The Johhny Cash is a great tribute to him. I seen an Elvis look alike and he had all of the moves of voice of Elvis and if I didnt know better would of thought I was watching Elvis himself.

You do have alot of parts, seen a few I know I got out in the shed that I had forgottena bout.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 AM

Just gonna first BUMP my "PARTS FOR SALE" thread for the heck of it.......

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f109.../#post52015309

BUMP! ^^^^ hehe.

Bbrid.... SUP? ..... Yeah, ... I realized around 10 things more last night. MAN, I have TONS of switches.... Well, aside from those that haven't sold already. The power mirror/defrost thingymadoer is one that I guess breaks quite often(the plastic piece that holds them both in place into the dash).... PS> Your "GOODIES" are shipping today, good sir!

William, ..... SUP, AS WELL, TO YOU, MISTA!?!? ....... Hope you're doing well, man. I think I will try one day... I have to pull the passenger panel to get my lock cyl number. Toyota doesn't carry it anymore... BUT, if you find the lock number on the cyl inside the door... they can MAKE YOU NEW KEYS and even IGNITION CYL'S THAT FIT YOUR KEYS.... all matching the doors and tailgate door I REALLY need guidance on that ign cyl replacement!.... TERRY? hehe. I'm ALMOST positive he did a write up on it, I'll find it.

Terry, .... a big time 3rd, yet not least, SUUUUUUUUUUUUP!??!?!? TO YOU AS WELL! lol. Yeah, .... it's a pile. I guess people are busy on Christmas... Not sure... cuz I'm not getting too many PM's aside from back in response to my PM's to the 'buddies' on here, ya know? Oh well... I'm not SUPER concerned about it...... I guess I"ll bump it a few times and then just slap everything on CL and Ebay. .... PS> Your "GOODIES" are shipping out, as well, today. Just need an answer on a couple things/semantics on part numbers, entertain my anal retentive nature, would ya? lol. (sent you a PM )

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-20-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i know replacing the lock cyl is not that hard its nearly too easy im wondering if i got my key code could they get me a cylinder to fit my gas door its the only lock my keys dont work in
Old 12-20-2012, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
i know replacing the lock cyl is not that hard its nearly too easy im wondering if i got my key code could they get me a cylinder to fit my gas door its the only lock my keys dont work in
Have you tried 'rolling' the key around as you try to open it? I haven't used my key in there for so long(probably the reason>>> ).... I almost had an IMPOSSIBLE time today using the key to open it(was checking to see if my 'Gas Cap Holder' from the Range Rover would work... NOPE! lol. Not on an OEM Yota cap, anyhow )

Not sure if they can do that or not, William... Hmmmmm. Ask, I'm sure they'll tell ya.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try graphite lock lube? Just spray it in your locks yearly and it helps a lot. Don't use WD40 or something like that because it gums up when its cold and collects dust. The graphite is in alochol which evaporates, so its a dry lube.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 PM

HEY SC DUDE! lol.. How you been, man?

Just in case you didn't see it... I started a Classified Thread. Lots of the 'most wanted' stuff is gone.. but still have a few good things, lol... Just trying to help out mom's. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f109...f-sale-262855/

So, ........ far as the graphite... great idea. I use the Silicone Lube on most key stuffs around here... LOVE how it works on the Deadbolts and stuff in the house, and in the tracts on the windows in the rig, etc. Guess it could collect stuff, sure.

Speaking of STICKY STUFFS! lol.... : MY REAR WINDOW.... GRR! It's acting up again...

* When I use the key or from the front.... it's often doing this 'hesitation' thing... It's VERY slow, as I noted, going up... BUT, it's also hesitating going down or up... Like it will be heading down... then freeze up, intermittently, for just a fraction of a second, .. sometimes more, ... then back up. Doing it more than before...BUT, NEVER refusing to go down.. And I don't have to hit the relay portion of the front most-rear panels to get it to work. ... BUT, what I do notice.......

* It seems as if, if I'm leaning in on the tailgate... it WILL NOT work half the time, at all! As soon as I let go of pushing in on it, it starts to work... Still at times with the 'hesitation' thing... BUT, nonetheless, it's REALLY got me thinking that this has something to do with the 'Door Lock Detection Switch'... Which is what I tied into to do my 'Rear Dome Light'..... (NO, I AM NOT saying that's a bad idea... I think it works just fine. The diode doesn't interfere with that portion... it's only BEFORE that. So I don't THINK, at least for the most part, that it has anything to do with it.) I've had issues with the back window for a while...... So I'm starting to think maybe that detection switch is 'touchy' or oxidized or SOMETHING, ya know? It's like it's making contact until I push in on the door.... which, it makes sense, would take the door latch OFF of the "EYELET LATCH" that it grounds to... I mean, that IS how it's ground', right? I think I'll snag a couple of those detection switches next time I'm over at the yards, ya know?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey chef, looks like a pretty sweet list of parts you got there. Unfortunately my truck isn't even running right now, the input bearing is beyond bad. I've just saved up enough to order a rebuild kit from marlin, but no time to work on it! Now I'm going out of town for christmas. Hopefully soon i will have time to sort that out.

I haven't had a chance to check out yt much lately
Sorry to hear that things are down. I hope you have a good holiday. Cooking something good I'm sure!

That graphite does help locks a lot, brought the completely frozen locks of my bimmer back to life. Stuck DDing that which is fun, but i don't really like having my dog in my car! 65 lbs of doberman don't mix well with my leather seats.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
Just bring the lock cylinder and a spare key to a locksmith shop and they should be able to recode it for you to match your key for a minimal charge.
The newer the spare the better the fit on the cylinder will be.

I like LPS 2 for a general lubricant... penetrates well and really resists wash off.

also very good for freeing seized parts.

gee mark miss a few posts and I'm soooo far behind... sorry to hear about the pencil pushing pin head at the H.
Hopefully she was just having a bad day and is'int like that all the time... if she is I'm sure dante has a special circle of hell awaiting her arrival.

Last edited by aviator; 12-21-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Your tailgate just isnt going to give you a break. They have way to many safetys in them. I was at the boneyard to day and they gave me a cheat sheet for what is supposed to be the gear ratios in the trucks. Thought I would pass along what you might be intrested in. On a 2nd gen it is listed on the white tag on the drivers door. I found this out today while looking thru a 2nd gen. Im assuming this to be fairly accurate.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by SCToy
Hey chef, looks like a pretty sweet list of parts you got there. Unfortunately my truck isn't even running right now, the input bearing is beyond bad. I've just saved up enough to order a rebuild kit from marlin, but no time to work on it! Now I'm going out of town for christmas. Hopefully soon i will have time to sort that out.

I haven't had a chance to check out yt much lately
Sorry to hear that things are down. I hope you have a good holiday. Cooking something good I'm sure!

That graphite does help locks a lot, brought the completely frozen locks of my bimmer back to life. Stuck DDing that which is fun, but i don't really like having my dog in my car! 65 lbs of doberman don't mix well with my leather seats.
Hahaha... Dobies do tear stuff up... even when they don't intend to! lol... Thanks, and hope you have a great one, bud! I'm doing a couple parties... and family dinner.... OY! lol. S'all good.. I LOVE doing this..... it's still hardly ever tedious to me. PEOPLE LOVE TO EAT! Just like they love to soak up a good book... I guess you could say I see it as "writing something down from JUST ME upon their hearts... Something that brings comfort, sometimes LOTS of comfort for the events I and others do for the Homeless/mentally disabled Vets, etc.".... But still, FAMILY? Just awesome being with everyone and sitting down and watching everyone REALLY enjoy that meal more than most all year!(Usually do Thanksgiving for everyone... BUT, obviously this was not a year that would happen. ... Be well, ALL OF YOU, and KNOW that I'm grateful for all the kind words, help on the Classifieds ad.. etc. It's already helping to take care of around 1/ 5 of it

Originally Posted by aviator
Just bring the lock cylinder and a spare key to a locksmith shop and they should be able to recode it for you to match your key for a minimal charge.
The newer the spare the better the fit on the cylinder will be.

I like LPS 2 for a general lubricant... penetrates well and really resists wash off.

also very good for freeing seized parts.

gee mark miss a few posts and I'm soooo far behind... sorry to hear about the pencil pushing pin head at the H.
Hopefully she was just having a bad day and is'int like that all the time... if she is I'm sure dante has a special circle of hell awaiting her arrival.
Hahaha... Dante... yeah, you're right, that's likely over the top... I didn't mean to imply that I wish her any harm, lol... BUT, she was VERY disrespectful, unprofessional and downright TERRIBLE at her job! I imagine she get's yelled at CONSTANTLY, however... so I wouldn't want her job... but I didn't force her to take it, ya feel me? lol.

Hope you have a great one, Paul!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Your tailgate just isnt going to give you a break. They have way to many safetys in them. I was at the boneyard to day and they gave me a cheat sheet for what is supposed to be the gear ratios in the trucks. Thought I would pass along what you might be intrested in. On a 2nd gen it is listed on the white tag on the drivers door. I found this out today while looking thru a 2nd gen. Im assuming this to be fairly accurate.

Terry,.... you ARE the "Grand Puba!" hahahaha... SERIOUSLY, you're ALWAYS blessing me with something SO helpful, man!

GREAT Post!!!!

Hey, check this out, guys; http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1988-To...fafcdc&vxp=mtr

I'm sure many of you have seen it... I'd never seen that site. I like it the way it is, blackbackground w/light shining through... but it IS kinda cool, lol. Was like a 'THING' in the last decade, right?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-23-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:30 PM

Well, .... had a GREAT day hanging out with some Yota'Folk/Brethren! lol... Richard(REDETH), GREGO, RAD4Runner and Myself, all with our toys..... (Pic taken by the Fabulous Fabi! lol)....

RAD4runner has a few more... Was great to see RAD helping Richard out with the wiring layout for the power windows... I KNOW he's that much closer now to doing that up! Can't wait, and I'm excited for ya, Richard... Gonna be nice to have that all set up

Great to see you again, Grego .... Love the PU too!

RAd, ... you're a class dude, man... I really hope we can hang out again VERY soon! Thanks for helping out with the rest... and THANKS FOR DINNER, MAN!
Old 12-23-2012, 03:11 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Well, .... had a GREAT day hanging out with some Yota'Folk/Brethren! lol... Richard(REDETH), GREGO, RAD4Runner and Myself, all with our toys..... (Pic taken by the Fabulous Fabi! lol)....

RAD4runner has a few more... Was great to see RAD helping Richard out with the wiring layout for the power windows... I KNOW he's that much closer now to doing that up! Can't wait, and I'm excited for ya, Richard... Gonna be nice to have that all set up

Great to see you again, Grego .... Love the PU too!

RAd, ... you're a class dude, man... I really hope we can hang out again VERY soon! Thanks for helping out with the rest... and THANKS FOR DINNER, MAN!
Mark, LOL!

Same to you, guys! Had a good time.

Grego, Thank you very much for the B-pillar panel. Ruby Tuesday says Thanks, too.

And I really hope Richard's mod works out well.

Fellow Yotatechers,

We're figuring out Richard's power window harness by actual tracing of wires. While this is a good method, it would surely give us more confidence if we had schematic specific to his truck.

Merry Chistmas!
Old 12-23-2012, 03:55 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
cool pic guys.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

Was great to see RAD helping Richard out with the wiring layout for the power windows... I KNOW he's that much closer now to doing that up! Can't wait, and I'm excited for ya, Richard... Gonna be nice to have that all set up
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Mark, LOL
And I really hope Richard's mod works out well.

Fellow Yotatechers,
We're figuring out Richard's power window harness by actual tracing of wires. While this is a good method, it would surely give us more confidence if we had schematic specific to his truck.
Thanks Mark & Rad. I'm really excited to see these windows/mirrows finally going in too! I'm thinking about installing all this stuff and my altimeter at the same time since both require me to remove the dash.

Thanks for everything guys. I now have a much greater understanding of how to read these schematics and troubleshooting my buttons. And you guys even taught my girlfriend something new too lol. She is into working on trucks with me so she enjoyed learning all this stuff.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like you guys had a good meeting... I thought about those white face gauges but I can never find them with km/h as the primary on the speedo... I'm ok with the graphite grey face but am getting a little bored with the borg green... white leds are on the do list but not near the top just now...

have a safe and merry christmas Mark et al.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Next time I'll cruise up from SD! Looks like good times...
Old 12-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Thanks Mark & Rad. I'm really excited to see these windows/mirrows finally going in too! I'm thinking about installing all this stuff and my altimeter at the same time since both require me to remove the dash.

Thanks for everything guys. I now have a much greater understanding of how to read these schematics and troubleshooting my buttons. And you guys even taught my girlfriend something new too lol. She is into working on trucks with me so she enjoyed learning all this stuff.
MY PLEASURE, Richard... always! Fabi's a great lady... Definitely a keeper! haha... She always makes me laugh. You guys are great together. How much better that you have someone interested in the same thing, eh? ... TRUST ME, DON'T MINIMIZE THAT ONE, MAN! haha... Just have to get her on ONE GREAT Camping trip with 'PREPARED' people like myself and I'm sure Grego and RAD.... She'd be sold, I betcha. Hope you guys enjoyed the Coffee and Tea and such.. (and Spaghetti, minus that spaghetti thing you fight! YOU'RE NOT ALONE, trust me!)

Can't wait to see you rollin them down, I'm serious... OH YEAH< and ALSO UP! haha.

Originally Posted by aviator
Looks like you guys had a good meeting... I thought about those white face gauges but I can never find them with km/h as the primary on the speedo... I'm ok with the graphite grey face but am getting a little bored with the borg green... white leds are on the do list but not near the top just now...

have a safe and merry christmas Mark et al.
Was a great time, Paul.. indeed! It's just amplified on the 'GOOD TIME' end when it's up in the mountains on dirt roads, too!

Originally Posted by jskijoe
Next time I'll cruise up from SD! Looks like good times...
SWEET! Can't wait to see that 3.4 do a lil burn out! haha..(Just do it as you leave so I can blame it on the idiots up the street!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread