86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Redeth005
Hey Mark, I didnt know you had another altimeter. I will definitely take that one off your hands if i'm able to use it on my truck that is. Do you have a mounting bracket and the wires for it?
Yep.... I Have the mounting bracket, bolts, both bulbs and the wiring from the bulbs a few inches. It was pretty tight without pulling the dash... or I'd have taken more of the wiring.. But it's plenty. Just have to tie it into the instrument cluster wiring...

You got dibs... I'll letcha know the price in PM

PS> It's nice to see you 'upgrading' all these stuff's... It's all rewarding once done

PSS> Lemme know if you're still needing an SR5 Maplight as well. Those kinds of things will go pretty quick... like Gauges, etc. One gauge cluster is already gone.

PSSS> Sorry I haven't gotten the thread up for the 'SALE' stuff, just yet, guys... .... I've not had ANY time just yet to get out and even take pictures .... STUPID BUREAUCRACIES! LOL.

I PROMISE I'm trying to start that thread by this evening... Thanks for understanding, peeps!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
the altim just bolts through the dash the lumination plugs are already on the harness for it its just drilling holes through the dash to install it

mark?
Yeah, it bolts through the dash.... That's why the bracket is so important... But sadly not always available(guess people don't wanna take the time to get it out.

With Terry's write ups on this/and advice(HINT, HINT! ) HAHAHA.... it would be an easy install....

Not sure on the wiring.. but I DO believe it's there... They tie off and split from 2 into 4 off one connector... There is 2 factory screw in type butt connectors BEFORE the connector(which I also have there...)... so all he'd have to do is wire the 2 wires(that feed the 4 wires to 2 lights in the cluster) to the Instrument cluster wiring that's provided(and even if it's not... it's easy to tap into those by the Kick Panel)... BUT, yes... I think the wiring is there, because it was an option that they added on many... If they got the orders, I'm sure they'd say, "Hey, prep the dash on that one and slide the wiring through.. the Cluster and cover should be here today", ...or something like that? I doubt they'd wait to have that done until AFTER ordered, right? I believe the Maplight wiring is butt connectored off but there as well... Maybe even the connector. Not sure... Every rig I've had has had that SR5 maplight.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Yep.... I Have the mounting bracket, bolts, both bulbs and the wiring from the bulbs a few inches. It was pretty tight without pulling the dash... or I'd have taken more of the wiring.. But it's plenty. Just have to tie it into the instrument cluster wiring...
You got dibs... I'll letcha know the price in PM
PS> It's nice to see you 'upgrading' all these stuff's... It's all rewarding once done
PSS> Lemme know if you're still needing an SR5 Maplight as well. Those kinds of things will go pretty quick... like Gauges, etc. One gauge cluster is already gone.
PSSS> Sorry I haven't gotten the thread up for the 'SALE' stuff, just yet, guys... .... I've not had ANY time just yet to get out and even take pictures .... STUPID BUREAUCRACIES! LOL.
I PROMISE I'm trying to start that thread by this evening... Thanks for understanding, peeps!
Thank you very much Mark. Look forward to finally having one. Definitely gonna need to paint it gray to match the interior either that or get a cloth dash cover like yours.
As for the map light. Remember already have one. Or are you talking about the really bright light that attaches to my rear view mirror that are usually on pick up trucks?

I have the dual lights like your truck has already remember.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Yeah, it bolts through the dash.... That's why the bracket is so important... But sadly not always available(guess people don't wanna take the time to get it out.

With Terry's write ups on this/and advice(HINT, HINT! ) HAHAHA.... it would be an easy install....

Not sure on the wiring.. but I DO believe it's there... They tie off and split from 2 into 4 off one connector... There is 2 factory screw in type butt connectors BEFORE the connector(which I also have there...)... so all he'd have to do is wire the 2 wires(that feed the 4 wires to 2 lights in the cluster) to the Instrument cluster wiring that's provided(and even if it's not... it's easy to tap into those by the Kick Panel)... BUT, yes... I think the wiring is there, because it was an option that they added on many... If they got the orders, I'm sure they'd say, "Hey, prep the dash on that one and slide the wiring through.. the Cluster and cover should be here today", ...or something like that? I doubt they'd wait to have that done until AFTER ordered, right? I believe the Maplight wiring is butt connectored off but there as well... Maybe even the connector. Not sure... Every rig I've had has had that SR5 maplight.
I'll measure to Check out Terrys wrIte ups on the installation. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I will post how to get the dash off here in a few. I did try to fix my temp guage and it didnt work. Tightened screw on back of guage and cleaned the ground off by fuse box. I found some other threads.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...roblems-93691/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...sender-143327/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...95-t4r-138732/

Dashpad removal link Post #451...I dont think all of the links will transfer>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...9/index19.html
Old 12-13-2012, 08:57 PM

Thanks, Terry, ....... you da man!

Richard; Yep, I remember you have one... I thought it wasn't working. Then I remembered you said you got it working?? We put bulbs in yours and it wouldn't work(while at my house, remember?)... Anywhooo, yeah, sounds good.

Well, another day I spent doing breakfast for their guests... Then, ... back to hours of paperwork and then faxing paperwork and then had to do a bunch of errands for my mom, work do lunch for their guests..., then back out to Norwalk to the hall of records..... Then back to Long Beach to pick up some paperwork at the Courthouse... THEN headed back to my hood... Worked dinner... then did dinner for Mom's.... then switched the Christmas lights around so they'd all go on and off from a single switch....... Then installed a new lock on a room full of junk for mom's... hahaha... Then...... I sat down.... and here I am! lol.

I'm really WANTING and NEEDING to get this classified ad-thread started, guys... I just need it to also be organized, concise, plenty of pics, and free from "Hey, do you have a .......???".... ya know? And I can't seem to find a single hour to focus on that before I'm WIPED THE HECK OUT! hahaha...

I'll stop mentioning it until I can get out there... Saturday, ... COMPLETELY overwhelmed with a full 18 hour day... MAYBE tomorrow.. We'll see.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:38 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
OMG!

just got caught up on one of Terr's threads and I thought maybe I would catch up on your's. apparently it's been 48 pages since I posted. you guys are killing me.

soooo....I don't think I can read 48 pages worth.

maybe you could PM me with a cliffnotes version...or not. But, from this point forward I will try to keep up. feeling a bit melancholy today, in that I have not kept up with the ones who stood by me with my / our builds.

so, hoping all is well with you.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
OMG! just got caught up on one of Terr's threads and I thought maybe I would catch up on your's. apparently it's been 48 pages since I posted. you guys are killing me.
Tell me about it. You miss one day and it's almost certain you'll miss out on 1-3 pages lol. And sometimes YotaTech doesn't update every comment so sometimes there will be 2-4 comments per email. So I usually make it a point to read his thread at least once a day. Ii hate being lost.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I just looked at the dashpot on toyotapartseast.com It is $106 ouch!!! What would you suggest lubing it up with, the silicon gel or a spray?

I have ALOT of time on my $25ish fix it thread that I want to create and still have a ways to go before I post it. I feel your pain on that one.

Hello Jerry... Glad to see you back. Figured you have been busy. I see you posted on mine and got your PM, plan on answering them in a few, might be tonite or tomorrow possibly.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-14-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:46 AM

Jerry.... DON'T SWEAT IT on my end! I CAN TOTALLY RELATE to being overwhelmed and having to 'back off' for "FAMILY FIRST"! GREAT to see you on here, however static it is

Richard..... sorry hahahah..

Terry... I ONLY can recommend 'PYROIL Silicone Lube by Valvoline', the liquid spray.(Not sure it's better... I got it at BigLots for 3$, lol.... But it's a brand name, so I tried it, and it works GREAT! I use it in my car locks, hinges, garage door stuffs/along with white grease on the latter, ...and it works great)... Johnsons is probably fine, I know you have that... I worked it in upside down to prevent that stuff from bathing on the diaphragm inside... Not that it would hurt,.....might even help as it's not corrosive like many lubes. Just work it in there well and about 100 times..... If you can't get it working... I might have one for ya that I picked up. Would have to find it.... Lemme know how it works out, on here, too.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-14-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:17 PM

Damn Mark. Good luck on that 4sale thread. You had a ton of stuff over there that you had to take pix of and post. A LOT!!! lol thanks again for that inclinometer. Can't wait to install it. Gonna have to ask Terry what kind of paint to use to match my gray interior.

Thanks again dude! Always a pleasure to hang with you for a couple of hours. Even though I was freezing my arse off the whole time up there lol
Old 12-15-2012, 05:24 PM

Hey Richard.....

My pleasure... Glad you we could both benefit from my PYP/Toyotaticulitus Addiction! hehehe.

Yeah, it's so much stuff, ...but really, the "TIME" thing? That's what really has me stretched thin around the holidays. I count it all 'joy'... I do. I just hope someone isn't prevented from getting something they really NEED by my lack of time.

As you saw... I was down in Long Beach yesterday and was heading right by PYP so I stopped in and got quite a bit of 'needed' things.... Plus those COOL Yakima Cross Bar Towers, :woot: HEHEHE.

Kinda like these... lil different... maybe more heavy duty?

Here's a link to what some of them cost.... They cost me NOTHING~! The girl there always hooks me up! Gotta love Lupe! hahaha.

http://yakima.com/shop/racksystems/f.../control-tower
Old 12-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark. I will look at the Pyroil, it maybe better and will do what you suggested. Doing everything I can to get it in tip top shape. The holidays can be stressful trying to be everywhere at once.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:57 PM

Hey Terry..... I found a spare Dashpot I bought at PYP a while back... PM me, k? ONE problem... What you need is the 'FILTER' on the end and the vacuum hose... Not really a 'problem' per say .... BUT, it keeps crap from getting into the diaphragm and .... it's a 'restricting' type filter thingy on the end.. So it can SLOW down the action of the piston in the dashpot. I THINK I have that too... but it'd be in my work room... which is HURRICANE-aftermath-ular at the moment! lol... I THINK I had it up on the peghook board.. I'll look. Maybe you still have that part?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-15-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:11 PM

Ok, ... I got pics of MOST of the stuff I have.... Wanted to start over with a fresh album so I don't get confused, lol. .... I'll start working on that thread tomorrow... Have it all set up in Word or something... I have more in my storage/work room... I'll need to look at that stuff first as I think I have some more switches in there...

I will likely be fully restoring the Aisin Hubs I have as well... I enjoyed it and it'll be worth it in the end. The Warn Premium Hubs I have are ready to go. They have like 50 wheeling miles on them, lol... Were perfectly great to me... every time, never gave me a problem, not even once.

Anyway, I'll share it all as soon as possible.. Thanks for being patient with me guys... I'm still pretty slammed and overwhelmed.... But totally grateful, honest. It's been MUCH worse, many times in my life... So whatever is next? What else can I say but 'Bring it on... I'll deal with it as it comes', right? lol.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM

First off.... I FIXED SOMETHING!!!!!!!! HAHAHA.

No biggie, but I've had a flickering/often not working 'reverse' light on the passenger side for ... oh, around 5 YEARS? lol... On my last trip to PYP... I found a PU with a BRAND NEWLY REPLACED Tail Light assembly... My housing was original... but the lens was brand new. However, since the new2me one was a newer lens.... and the seal tends to fall out, I just swapped in the whole new one. It works, flawlessly, and all, including the brake, signal, marker and reverse bulbs are good... Hey, that's a few bucks right there, saved, on extras, right? haha...

I bring this up because, apparently, as TERRY and a couple others have told me... the wiring loom, before the connector from the harness, get's messed up in the Y-connections. I untaped that one for the "Reverse" portion.... and NOTHING was flawed... It's in tact. So, I'm assuming that either the tongue inside the BA9(BA15?) slot is loose.... OR, somewhere therein the 25yr. old wiring cluster back there.... the wire is broken free. I'm going to try to clean it up and fix it, so I have a spare/or to just switch back my original one... And then, of course, do a video and write up on how to fix it.

While in there, I put in a fixed Nut with JB Kwik Weld, to hold the 'clip' for my "Diff Breather Valve" that will be up in the taillight. I will do a write up with good detail and such on that, also, so anyone who wants to do it can do so without trippin, hehe. I will be putting some diff breather elbows and straight pipes on my classified ad as well, as I know many are wanting to do that, as I myself am. 10$ plus shipping for the pairs I guess.

Wanted also to mention..... Aside from my luck with ONE yard, then with Lupe, therein... LKQ has REALLY hiked up the prices on many things. They're asking like 180$ for DIFFS! 140$ FOR A SHORT BLOCK!, without the pan, NOTHING but the block and stuffs. I can get one put in my truck for me at my favorite dismantler for 150$! WITH THE PAN! As Redeth said, ... "They nickel and dimed me to death!"... Each lil sensor, they have 5 different codes... Some they ask as much as 50$ FOR! Guess I'll have to stick with certain things that are KNOWN to be wanted.

PS> Got all the PM's.... Hopefully got back to most of ya... Far as the rest, I'll just put everything up on the Ad, which is mostly done. Just finishing it up, modified with the things that are 'gone' or 'pending'.... Plus getting some better pics as mine are fine... but some of the part numbers can't be seen, etc. (I would have been done with it sooner... but I just haven't had time. I spent WAY too much time, today, in the Social Security Office for mom... Which I GLADLY do so she doesn't have to[another reason I've mentioned, ..."PLEASE get a power of attorney for the parents, etc., just in case!"]... I waited for quite a while.... then the window opens where I was told to sit... and the lady says, "Yes?"... "Oh, I'm here for my Mom, I spoke to you, Miss Williams"... "NOPE< not me, .... I'm the 'OTHER' Miss Williams"..... ..... GOOD GRIEF! hahahaha.... S'all good.... Another step done )
Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 PM

Welp.... took a break for a couple hours tonight and went with my mom to her 'Community Concert'.... And what do you know? >............... one of my fav's was embodied by 'Rusty Evans', a VERY skilled Johnny Cash Tribute Artist. His story is quite great.... WHAT A GREAT SHOW! His son? HOLY PICK-O-RAMA,...the dude could RIP on Guitar! Spoke with him at intermission... what a CLASS dude! He loved my Johnny Cash T-shirt..... made me promise I'd get him the guys number who owns the stills(a buddy of mine, Humble Harry, another Tribute Artist)...

Again, what a great show and how fun to share it with Mom's!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 PM

2:15-3:20..... Richard.... Rusty Evans' Son is the Lead Guitarist of "Ring of Fire"... but he has this band "Chrome Johnson" too.... Listen to the Guitar from 2:15-3:20.... I think they do a pretty BA version of King Bee here.... But anyway, just curious if you like his playing, being a Guitarist and all. lol...

Since Flash Player is FUGGLED up again on me... I'll just post all the videos on the next post.... First 2 will be "Ring of Fire", the band we saw... And the last one is that solo from 2:15-3:20, ok?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 PM

Old 12-18-2012, 03:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey mark i got the first list could i get a look at the second part?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:51 AM

Hey William...

Hope that helped a lil...

OH, btw.... do you have any inside door handles removed right now? I picked up some Camry Door handles a WHILE back... and I LOVE THEM! lol... The handles are Chrome... NOT PLASTICHROME, lol.. Literally metal. I just think they'd look better and probably last longer. I'VE SEEN THEM BREAK!(the plastic ones)... Mine are milky and YUCKO, haha.. Was telling redeth that today on the phone, lol.

Here's the Camry Handles... If they'd work, I'll do them for both handles on the door. Maybe I could just use the METAL PORTION? lol....

Terry, anyone on that one????? >>>>>

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread