86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man can't wait to see the sliders on. It's gona be bada$$. U won't b scare of rock nomore Mr. Hahaha n u welcome too bad u just need one. That's a great deal too. I was tryin to get the price down a little bit too. Hahah

Toyo- I was looking for those for a while too now. But my bro in law ended up not going to LA nomore hahah
Old 12-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
TOYO, ...... On the wheels... There were a few of us, before, that didn't need but a couple each. In THAT case, it would work out, as in L.A. I would just have to have a meeting place and distribute them, ya know? // On the SLIDERS... YEP, .... I got too close as it was around 3 times, in which cases I'd have suffered pretty decent damage(they were 'coming down somewhat quickly' situations...so they'd have caused pretty fat smacks to the body, maybe even doors)... // On the 'Buy/Sell' factor..... it's basically a business down here for many. I have a buddy with an 'IN' with CARS.COM or whatever it is lots down here... It's a big company now with dozens of pre-owned lots. ANYTHING that needs work, they give it to him.... he pays his mechanics a few hundy to get it going,...and sells it within a week. Both of them make money, as CARS.COM or whatever it is takes trade ins on the low end... Gives it to him without any mark up... then he fixes and sells them right off the bat through his biz. He almost got me a 2002 TLC V8 with 98K miles that was hit on the front driver side wheel/fender.... 1800$~! BUT, he already had a buyer on his list... and he's very honest/would NEVER do an unethical solid for a buddy while a customer is waiting for one, ya know? ... I LOVE that, ... but it WAS my loss, in the end, ya know? lol.

I've been watching for 1st Gen 4Runners... Just, until now, I haven't had the time to take them... As they'd be 6 month projects, ya know? Now, I could do this in a couple weeks in many cases.. Even swapping in a motor, whatever(I could do that in a weekend now if I can just start with a 'ready-2-go' block.... Service the rod journals and set it up myself... have the crank turned... voila! lol. I have an in on a guy that will trade my short/bare blocks for 50$, taking my used/machinable one and giving me one ready to go.... As he said, "The machine does all the work with a lil supervision, while I'm working on other things... 50$ is fine"... The rest is obvious, of course.)

JASON, ... Right on... Well, that's good to know, and.............I guess I WOULD in fact be better off. Hmmmm... So what I'm trying to understand... On the dakota springs, ...the pin is set up ALMOST TO THE TEE, ratio wise, like the 4Runner Springs.... (A= 20.5" B= 27" ..on the 4Runner)... (A= 22.00" B= 34.00" ..on the Dakota springs)... 6" or so to the rear for the 4Runner and 5" or so on the Dakota... BUT, on the Chevy Springs... It's like 11 INCHES FORWARD... 3 INCHES BACK...... wth? Seems much more dramatic of a ratio... Granted, much longer 'FORWARD' in the case of the Chevy's.......... I'm guessing this is why you've not gone the route of the Chevy's, either? Still, as I read on many threads.... "The wrap is FAR more noted when guys have a block lift in the rear"..... I guess when you're going for 10" + lift, ... things can get wonky? hehe.

You're right... I DO NOT want to get into total Spring Leaf Pack Restoration and Modification Factors... haha.... I have NO PROBLEM slapping in hangers and such... Have someone to help me. BUT, if the wrap is a problem with those that requires HOURS of research and then HOURS of practical application WORK.... That seems a lil impractical. Budbuilt seemed pretty interested... I think the dude who wrote me said he was going to look into those... He'd heard of them being used on 1st Gen Toy PU's... but never 4Runners. I told him that 86-92 years were rated at 2400+# ... he said, "I nearly spat my coffee out... I didn't know that", lol. Whatever.... See, for guys like that, it's a half day research thing on a bench and then POOF, it's done, and they can do them for 5$ in 30 minutes! lol. OH well... at least I can say I tried, right? BTW, if I don't use them, which it seems I likely wont... BUT, if YOU still want to mess with them... You could have these for what I paid, ... 24$ or something for the pair. I could meet ya and do lunch and then at least you'd not have to buy pull them at the yard or pay a yard 100$ for already removing them? If not, NO worries... I know that wasn't your plan.. Just throwing it out there, buddy Hope you're all doing well over there

ROGER, .......... You OFTEN crack me up pretty well! Far as the rims... I WOULD GLADLY pick them up, IF CLOSE ENOUGH, for someone who needs them... BUT, problem is,... I would want one. hahaha. If he had 5... that would be good lol... BUT, he doesn't say in the add.... Did you talk to him?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 AM

A block lift adds leverage to the axle making it easier to wrap the spring. Never a good idea on a trail rig or a road rig in my opinion. I'm not trying to talk you out of it just pointing out that on things like this there are a ton of variables that a guy has to be willing to address. Are they an improvement over the stock runner springs, I'm sure they are but at what cost in labor? They may be a easy solution to a common problem or a complete wash. Yea I would be interested in you springs if we can make it work meeting up.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 AM

Wusup, guys?

I just wanted to let you all know that I'm going to start some of the work soon... Just been really busy with the finalizing things after his passing... AND, doing all kinds of extra crap to try and pull a bit together to help pay for the funeral, so my mother isn't stuck with the entire bill on her SLIM fixed income.... Let's just say... 'WOW', ... some people really never cease to TOTALLY SHOCK and DISGUST me..... While not being surprised, ya KWIMean? Meh, anyway.... The reason I bring this up is this...

* I am going to be opening a thread on here with MOST of the parts I have FOR SALE.

I haven't decided whether to keep the LCE Header.... BUT, it wouldn't be cheap, as most of it wouldn't. This stuff is getting harder and harder to find... And I either paid good money for it or worked hard to get it off and home, myself, ya know?

Some of you have asked for things, .... so I will try to remember and offer you first dibs.... Maybe remind me with a PM...

I'll be posting up the link as soon as I get everything together and get pics....

Just an example... I have 2 pairs of rear panels for the 1st Gen 4Runners in perfect condition, NOT brittle, NOT cracking or cracked, speaker areas in tact...... I have 100% rust free L-Trim pieces... I have a Spare Toyota Jack in PERFECT condition..... TONS of switches, Sensors, Starter Relays.... 1st Gen rear Window Control Relay Modules..... And, even 3.0 Ignitor/Coil packs..... Even another ECU.... 2 First Gen SR5 Gauge Clusters....AFM's....Brand new Napa Water Pump....2K Mile old S-600 and 899 and OSK Timing kit....Map Light Kits w/Mounting Bracket....Inclinometer....Scion tC front Bucket Seats....Aisin IFS manual locking hubs(One set is reserved/going to be restored...I'd be willing to restore the others/Wont discuss prices on here, as per rules of Yotatech)....Warn PREMIUM Manual Locking Hubs...... and more.

Most of this will also go on CL and SOME on Ebay... Because, well, I wont lie... I need to get whatever I can, within reason, for all of it, in order to help cover a 6500$ Funeral Bill.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh jeez! That's expensive! Will Irvin's kids at least chip in to help you out with the funeral cost?

I might know someone who might wanna buy a couple of parts I'll let him know k.
---------------------------------------------
Btw just caught up on your thread. Glad to see ur getting sliders. Can't wait to see them on u our Ruby. My Kingsford is gonna bring jealous! Lol
Old 12-11-2012, 03:05 PM

Hey Richard....

Right on! Yeah, ... let HIM know, lol.......

I'll post up the link here asap... I just haven't stopped doing paperwork since I got up this morning..... Calling Social Security, Medicare and the like.... And they're SOOOOO efficient and well managed, ya know?

.......... Even today, we got a bill from the Hospital they took him to for 170,000.00$ WTH????? I mean.... Medicare is supposed to cover ANY AND ALL emergency and ICU and thereafter care, as long as he's in the hospital... Even the resting home that they picked him up from said, "Their Secondary covers 100% of....... 14 DAYS! 80$ copay per day thereafter"....... Well, he was there only 4 days, and THEY, the ambulance company, took him to UCLA Harbor Hosptical, a County Hospital, 4 blocks from the Resting home... The ride is 750$ and the 02 and respiratory aid and so forth.... 900$... The ER, ICU and transition care in "Comfort Care"(the hospitals version of 'Hospice') should all be and HAD BETTER be covered! ...... Whatever, ...they don't have it, PERIOD.... and he's gone... Maybe it's just the hospitals auto response thing... But HOW TERRIBLY lacking in compassion for them to send this bill to my mother, saying, "Due December 24th, 2012"! ....

This is after that call I got on my cell phone at 3:45am the morning he passed, that didn't come through cuz of my service until 6:40am as a voicemail that said, "Hello, Mr. Mark Morgianz(WTH?), .... Just calling to inform you that Mr. Ervin Bar.....teowkleky(WTH2?) expired at 3:45am..... Thank you"...... and hung up on the voicemail. NEVER called the house number to inform my mother... She found out while speaking with Ervin's daughter, the next day. They were speaking, and his daughter said, "Yeah, I guess they said he passed away at 3:45am"..... and my mom nearly dropped the phone and said, "Wait, he's not dead.... I'm getting ready to go see him right now... WHAT?"...... Guys, it was TERRIBLE! Right then, around 6:45, the voicemail finally came through on my crappy cell service phone... They took great care of him and helped a lot to get him into 'Comfort Care', etc.... But WOW was that and a few other things, like this bill today, VERY unprofessional, IMHO.

Far as them, his kids, helping?..... Never offered... It's a long story that I've retracted much of upon here.... (via Edit, lol)... And I don't think I want to let my flesh take over on this one, either. Part of me would love to share exactly how I feel about the whole thing......... But the other part holds me back, haha.

My mother and Ervin...they had a reverse mortgage, which was GREAT for them, honestly.. But it went quickly, the allowed line available, etc. ESPECIALLY THE LAST YEAR!)... So, anyhow.... This leaves it all on my mom... And that's just NOT gonna happen... Me and my family are not going to let my mom spend what is HER SAVINGS, 100%, to fund this or any other bills like it(It should have been provided for... but that was refused to be dealt with by Ervin, throughout... I'll leave that alone as well, lol)...... She's going to need every dime of what lil bit she has, along with her VERY SMALL Social Security, ...just to survive.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-11-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM

Aww man sorry to hear about that mark. Hope everything goes will for you and the family. And that is a bigggg bill. Don't even want to think about it. But we all know you guys will get through it. Yotatech-ers is here for u I might know some people who would look into your stuff too ill let them know. O yea, r u really looking to get rid of the LCE headers? Is there a price for it yet?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
That is outrageous on the prices they charge at the hospital. I used to wok in IT in a hospital and it they ever fired up the helicopter, WOW, you should of seen what they charge. I dont remember the exact cost, but it was unreal.

Those of us counting on Social Security at our age will have a rude awakening when we get there. I am not even counting on it so I wont be surprised.

Unfortunately after someone passes there is alot of aftermath that seems to follow, sometimes before they are even in the ground. Hope it gets better soon.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as i am on SS an barely get any help compared to what i could earn when whole an functional it took years to get help had to sue to get it i was afraid for years to even mention that i had a daughter an when i told them i said that as well

ive let people know when the time comes i dont want a funeral just burn the remains an pour them around a willow tree. after my mothers death mark nothing the medical community does surprises me
Old 12-12-2012, 12:05 PM

Wow! Mark i cant believe that thats what it cost toward the end of ones life. Holy cow! definitely gotta prepare for that! Did it come out to that high charge because he stopped paying the payments???
Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 PM

Hey Guys, .....

THANKS, AGAIN! Honest, it means a lot to have peoples support and life experiences!

Well, spent another 4 hours on the phone today between Harbor/UCLA County Hospital and their billing, etc., etc., etc... BOUNCED all over before they finally found the lady who was handling my stepfathers case..(I say "handling" VERY GENEROUSLY and with a looseness of
"5 lug nuts missing" - status, lol)... only to have this woman be TOTALLY rude, never offer ONE WORD of condolence, and then proceed to tell me, "Sirrrrrrr, look.... I do NOT know anything about what your mothers situation is... Do you have medicare?".... I answered, "Uhhhh, what difference does it make what IIII have, ma'am? He had medicare, yes"..... She then said, "You don't have to be rude, .... I'm just telling you, Medicare only pays 80%,...the other 20% WILL come from your mother.... Does she own a home? Did he?".... Guys.... at this point, I LITERALLY, quietly and calmly let her proverbially 'HAVE IT'! I said, "Ma'am.... You have to be one of the LEAST professional people that I've dealt with yet. First of all.... most billing takes weeks... Secondly, I've given your hospital ALL of his information, my proof of DPOA papers, 5 TIMES.... Yet, still, I get a bill within A FEW DAYS of his funeral, sent to my mother, who is not well, for $165,210.00????? I mean, YOU HAVE his primary insurance/HMO number, RIGHT THERE, you just read it to me... YET, SOMEHOW, you act as though it's my responsibility to furnish 'MY PROOF'? as you put it? NO, MA'AM, YOU, I'm sorry to say, will have to do WHATEVER work it takes in order to get paid... BUT, I WILL call MD Care Insurance for Medicare/HMO company and have them call you, since you obviously don't want to do ANY of the work to help me out. BTW, you should read your own forms, even on this bill, ......they are FAR more cordial, informative and state, clearly, 'We're sorry if this is sent when it should not have been... If you have Medicare, Medical, etc., please send such info and we will start the proper redirection of this billing case #.'.... Here you are, a human being, treating me with NO respect and acting as though 'That's not my problem your mom is worried, SIRRRRR'..... I know your job isn't likely easy.... Which isn't MY problem, ma'am... I have enough on my plate... but I empathize nonetheless. Yet, in reality, I pay taxes that pay your County Job Paycheck... and while I would NEVER throw that in your face... I EXPECT the same respect you would want if your loved one passed away while you're caring for the loved one that's still left here to suffer and so on....But no, you're not only 'impersonal'..... Your also then snarling and sighing when I only asked for 1. ANSWERS and 2. RESPECT! You'll be getting a call from MD Care within 20 minutes.... I expect a call from you with a SINCERE apology... BTW, once again..... I want the name of your supervisor, please ma'am?" INSTANTLY barked back at me with her supervisors name... And said, "Anything else, SIRRRRRRRRRRR?".....

I then called MD Care, whom were VERY kind and helpful.... and Sonja, within 2 minutes, found out that they'd NOT EVEN ONCE SUBMITTED A BILL TO THEM OR THEIR CARRIERS! They simply billed the home? Without first at least calling, saying, maybe, "First, sorry for your loss, sir... Just have to inform you that we can't seem to find the paperwork on your father.... I see that you're DPOA, so I thought I'd ask you, rather than the Widow.... What is his insurance? I know it's an inconvenience... , but we just want to help you clear this up, so you don't have to worry. Again, sorry for your loss".... NO, they send you a bill for 165,000$???????? I then told her about the phone call... 6:45am, btw... they DID NOT CALL ME at 3:45am when he passed... They called his Son... Know why, guys? Because the son went in and crossed my name off the "contact" list on that floor, the "Comfort Care" floor where he went before he passed. EVEN KNOWING I was FULL DPOA, financial and medical.... IN MY STEPFATHERS EXPLICIT WRITING, with separate instructions... They TOTALLY ignored his wishes ..... The only reason I got the call is because I was nice to that lady and she had my number... His son had TOTALLY crossed it out so you couldn't read it.

Let's just say; When it comes to me?.... I could provide a story, guys... WOW, as pertaining to the depth of depravity that I've seen over the last few weeks, EVEN YEARS???.... I COULD WRITE AT LEAST a novel! But, what purpose will that serve? I'd rather maintain some honor and refrain from STOOPING to that same level. What I WILL NOT tolerate is ANYONE disrespecting or dismissing or downright abusing my mother... who has TOTALLY sacrificed everything, as have I...... ESPECIALLY when such depravity and disparaging backstabbing that has occurred over the last few years is coming from a place that has sacrificed and offered NOTHING in the way of support FOR YEARS? OH HECK NO! If I shared the stories I have, ALL provable through recordings and corroborating statements of others, with you all? YOU might just lose a lil hope in humanity.... So I wont go into detail.(Although, ...some of you know me, personally, and know first hand of these things.... So I'm sorry for already causing you to lose some of your hope in humanity! hahaha)....

All said and done... the end of the day?>>>> THE BILLS are covered and my mom is protected.... And if I passed on, right now, I would feel MUCH better about her chances at remaining independent, etc., with at least A LITTLE more comfort than average, ya know? THAT is the DUTY of a child, IMHO... Unfortunately, many aren't in a position to provide much to help their parents... I TOTALLY get that. Bottom line, it's TOUGH right now, financially,... especially for MANY seniors, at this stage in history.

But hey, HMO's sucking or not? THEY PAID 100% of, so far, between the 2 hospital visits over the last 2 months, the nursing home care for those few days....etc., etc.... $200,000.00+!!!!! AWFULLY expensive to get sick and die, guys.... Just reminding my friends here, again... PREPARE as best as you can! You don't want to be a burden, for one... Secondly, what if you're vegetative due to an accident or some strange aneurism, etc.... Do you have an Advanced Directive? IT'S MORBID, I know.. but it's SO important... It's some of the most IMPORTANT decisions you can make for yourself and your family, ....and it is NEVER too early or too late to do AT LEAST SOMETHING, ya know? For example.... It's VERY reasonable for insurance for burial and plot, etc.... IF YOU DO IT NOW, haha... If you wait? Well, you can plan, on the LOW end, with the most basic internment and service, flowers, PROPERTY where you're/someone you love/is laid to rest, coffin.... $10,000$+ NOT to pick on my stepfather... Hopefully you'll all know that, knowing me... But he REFUSED to do that... And that would have been really kind to have sacrificed a few more bucks a month to ensure my mom wouldn't have had to worry as much as she has over the last few weeks. Look at it this way.... "The DRAMA you or your loved ones will go through when you/they pass on, if NOTHING is handled? .... Well, so far, it's pretty much seemingly endless! lol.... The amount of preparation it takes to prevent most of that? HOURS!"... Trust me on this one.......... I WILL NEVER look at "End of life Planning Consultants" with ANYTHING but respect from here on out... It's AMAZING how our views change as REALITIES we'd never experienced 'hit us', per say, ya know?

Best wishes to all of you and all of yours!!!!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-12-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:51 PM

Wow I hope that chick on the phone definitely gets hers. Talk about being moody. I'm just happy you got all that insurance and bills finally taken care of. I don't think there's been 1 day that I have not thought of your situation. I'm happy for you dude. I've been trying to keep up with your thread a lot lately to find out what's going on. Not saying enjoying reading the drama. But I am concerned too. So thanks for letting us know. Glad all will be well from now on.Now you can get back to it really matters like your mother and helping her get through the grieving.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM

Thanks, Richard, that's very kind/well received, brudda... trust me

Yeah, ... she can breathe a bit easier, each day... And, I count the MILD sacrifice that it's taking on my part as NOTHING compared to the satisfaction I have from, 1. Knowing she'll be ok, at least for a good long while... , and 2. In comparison to the HELL that I've put her through, at times, decades ago. NO, I don't live in regret.. that's TOTALLY FRUITLESS! lol... Rather, I try to share these things in hope that they'll HELP SOMEONE. I think MANY people go through things not just due to their inaction... Rather, because not many that they know feel comfortable talking about NECESSARY EVILS, ya know? This stuff can KILL YOU, AND HAS, MANY PEOPLE/FAMILY MEMBERS OF ILL LOVED ONES/CAREGIVERS! <<<< FACT, plain and simple! So if I can offer a LIL bit of info that might REALLY help even one person... TOTALLY worth even the few "Your build USED to be so fun!" notes that one gets, lol... And, if I offer EVERYTHING that I know/have learned(within reason, of course)... I KNOW it will help more than one person if they're only honest with themselves and realistic about how many THOUSANDS of variables are involved in ANYONE'S FUTURE! Ya feel me? lol.

Next post will be BACK TO BIZ... and I'm posting a fix, shortly, regarding the "My Inclinometer-Altimeter is cockeyed".... VERYYYYYYY easy fix which kinda completes the AWESOME write up that 4crawler did. Maybe he included the things I just found while messing with/fixing this one... but I couldn't find it. Yet, without his write up... I'd not even have bothered, most likely hahaha.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM

Good to hear everything is cover. I too got pissed when he crossed out ur name. And that's aft was really nice to have called you too. Best wishes man, keep ur chin up
Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 PM

Ok guys, ..........

SR5 Altimeter/Tilt-Meter is fixed

Below, I've done a simple video.... I didn't take it apart again(didn't have the camera when I did the repair/adjustment)... BUT, I explain very simply and in a detailed way how to fix it if the 'tilt' degree is off. This will be on the classifieds with the mounting bracket... and while I know RED isn't a common interior color.. I also have the Red Maplight and mounting bracket as well... Along with 2 other SR5 1st Gen Maplights, one in Charcoal and one in Light Gray...... both also with the Mounting brackets and I believe 'connectors' for all of them as well.

Here's the Altimeter fix....

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-12-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 PM

STUPID INTERNET! lol.... Not sure if you can see the video... I've posted it 3 times and it wont appear on that last post.........

Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 PM

cool vid mark
Old 12-12-2012, 10:21 PM

Thanks, William, appreciate it

I had started pulling stuff out, tonight, to start my "classifieds" thread... BUT, ..... started POURING here.... So ran the stuff I'd pulled out back in, hahaha. (was just gonna take more pics of things I'd not shared that I've gotten).
Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Hey Mark, I didnt know you had another altimeter. I will definitely take that one off your hands if i'm able to use it on my truck that is. Do you have a mounting bracket and the wires for it?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:00 AM

the altim just bolts through the dash the lumination plugs are already on the harness for it its just drilling holes through the dash to install it

mark?

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread