86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Good to see pics of your family, and including your Baby Ruby Red, of course, Mark! Hoping that things will get back to normal soon for you guys, and you feel better soon. Love the rain, too. It's a blessing, especially for us Californians.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey man just checking in. Very nice pics of your AZ trip. hope your fealing better in body and mind.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey RAD, Jason, ...thanks, guys. Yeah, I'm feeling MUCH better... nearly over it. I just look like a "walker" character from "The Walking Dead" show, lol... BUT, that's ok. I just wanna feel well, ya know?

The rain, yeah.... I LOVE it! Just keeping me from a few things, to be honest... YET, I might still give a couple things a shot, like a PYPart run, etc. However, I think I should be sure I'm over this thing 100%..... Walking Pneumonia is not on my Christmas List, ya feel me? hahaha.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:46 PM

MODS TO COME/TO BE FINISHED;

1. Sliders(I'll be doing AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE - 'Winter Wheeling/Camping'... including some Hot Springs Adventures... And, well, I'll need sliders to feel a lil more comfortable... and ALSO; So I have something from the sides to use my Hi-Lift with! lol)

2. Finish my Rear/Cargo Panels and all the sealing of them up... (I gotta tell you, guys.... The way I did this driver side one? The way it's mounted, and sealed up with Weather stripping, etc.? IT'S SILENT! compared to the passenger side. That long trip to AZ was VERY telling of the effectiveness of the job thus far.. And I'm very pleased and would recommend it to ANYONE!) Along with carpeting or Diamond Plated Pattern-Closed Cell Foam(haven't decided)..... I will be treating the wood. YES< it's already Plywood and Birch at that... BUT, It can't hurt to have it treated with something.

3. I REALLY want to FINALLY FIND that most recent hiccup I have; "When I run the rig, then kill the motor... If I wait a few minutes to start it up, fully warm... It wants to idle down to 4-500RPM.... Doesn't stall.. And if I get on the gas or take off while it's lurching... it will come out of it quick. And, when I let it run it's coarse, ...while it might take a while longer, it DOES come out of it, eventually." I'm just at a loss, guys... BUT, I have LOTS of spare parts to try out... Including a Charcoal Can, Dizzy(TERRY ROCKS!)... and MANY other things I can test, including TPS, etc.(I doubt it, but why not, right?). I will list everything I've done to this rig, soon, along with all that's new or verified 'working', ... until then, any ideas would be appreciated.

4. Have to get my spares on the Outlaw2 I picked up at the PYP and the 31 Lemans on the SR5 Alum. rim under my rig. Have it all right there... just honestly haven't had ANY FREAK'N TIME! hehe...

5. Going to fix the pin-springs on the discs up there... And MIGHT just slap the V6 Calipers on while I'm at it. They were on a 94 that was wearing PERFECTLY, ... no grooves, etc... Even has OEM Pads in it... So the guy took care of it(or worked there? who knows)... And I'll be ordering the at least 1" Bore Brake Master Cyl. MAYBE the 1-1/16th T100 one... not sure yet. Gotta dive back into that research, unless someone wants to just not play any "GOOGLE IT" with me and slap up a link you have in your 'notepad' or something? hahaha. I just want the EASIEST swap possible, maybe only having to bend the one line to fit(IIRC).

6. Springs; REALLY want to try these Dakota Leafs out.... Just don't have the kit to slap in to make em bolt up(the TG Hangers or whatever it was I had posted the link to... I think Toyo is pondering this/or maybe has done it while I've been in a spin, lol)... It's a tough one for me... As I HAVE ZUKS... and while they're not a top end leaf pack mod/swap.... they WORK! ya know? lol. They've really never left me with a problem yet... BUT, I think a good flexy leaf pack(just nothing TOO crazy) might be the 'safest/most practical-long term way to go', ....yeah? I know a bud of mine would help me... but I hear what he's saying... it's DEFINITELY a bit more work and time consumption factor is involved when doing a spring mod like that. Plus, it can end up nearly as costly as just slapping in a 2-3" OMEmu Lift Pack, ya know? Please, share your thoughts... I'll still make my own decision.. just curious what people think on this.

7. IF I do go as high as 3" over stock back there(I'm already at 2.25" or so, I believe).... I might be needing a 'stretcho' job on the brake lines... and possibly move the Proportioning valve a lil bit? I'm trying to do the brake swap stuff as cheaply as possible.. But, seeing that I have 94 V6 Calipers from a 110K Mile Truck that got POT BUMPED, lol... I think the hardware should be fine.... WIMean is, ...I'm not OPPOSED to doing one of those 'Whittman' or whatever they're called valves right by the Master, to eliminate the LPSV? Corax or his buddy did one. Again, I would rather NOT do that if I didn't have to.... and my brakes have always been very well maintained from brand new to now... So we'll see(and please, again, any input?)

8. Want to eventually get that second Amp installed... and maybe keep my eyes open for a deal on CL on some speakers(again, something I don't absolutely NEED, the new speakers... BUT, I have the amp, and it wouldn't hurt the sounds).

9. Con-Ferr and Side Rails Project... Obviously have to wait for better weather... But it's on the list, and most all the parts are ready. (Need to decide whether I want lights up there)

10. Seeing as I might be adding more lights, another amp, maybe other things I'll save for later.... I might be wise to start looking into installing that Caddy 120A alternator. "83Toy", .... he's just installed the 140amp in his 83 PU... I believe he put it where the AC was. That IS NOT an option for me, lol... I spent too much time and pretty decent money on my R12 Restore... So I like the idea of slapping it in where the original was... But I know this can be a tight squeeze... And it needs a bracket, etc.... So that will need some research as well.

I gotta say, guys.... PLEASE, if you're thinking about it/have the time/resources and a lil extra cash.... DO THE CARGO LED LIGHT MODS that I did/am doing.... Even if you do them in the existing OEM panels... They are A GODSEND! I've used them many times, but REALLY needed them a couple of those times... And was very glad to have them.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mark its interesting you said something i saw this last night on flea bay
old man emu springs
Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM

I sense Shenanigans, William.... I bid, and within seconds, I was outbid... Bid again, ...and again, 2 SECONDS later, it notified me I was outbid... Me thinks his Sister is logged in at work and hiking it up! hahaha.

I had it at 105$... that's 125$ with shipping already.... on something used and no way to verify the bushings, etc.? Hmmmmm.... I wonder if for 125$ I can get the Kit Toyo got to do Chevy 63's... (It's just hangers and such.. they're 2.5", that's the key). I mean, I already got the 56" Dakota Packs with bushings and all ready to go.... 20$ or whatever it was on 50% off day, right?) ...... lol.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well bushings are easy to replace should replace them anyhow dont know whats going on with the springs like i said i just saw them last night an you said something about them

wouldnt the Emu sprigs just bolt on without cutting the factory perches an such?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
... I might be wise to start looking into installing that Caddy 120A alternator...
Mark,
Have you looked into using the alternator for the 1993-97 Jaguar XJ6? I believe that's a drop-in after swapping the pulley. Just slightly tighther.
Another option is the 90-Amp stator upgrade. My alternator regulator went out last week after I washed my engine, so since I needed a replacement. Went to ASE Auto Electronics. They put a 90-Amp stator into stock alternator. Installed for $190.
Now need to upgrade alternator to fuse box wire. I think best, quickest and cost-effective method would be to get one from PYP and install in parallel with existing wire; That would double the capacity.

I gotta say, guys.... DO THE CARGO LED LIGHT MODS that I did/am doing....
Second the motion. Mine's done.
Here's how to turn it on without needing tail lights on

Just replace stock deck lamp with LED light that you can mount and wire wherever you want.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Fleabay OMEs, That is a great price, wish I could have gotten a used set. Love those springs.
I paid 100$ a spring plus $50 shipping, might have been 50$ each, can't recall.
Edit: I'm a little late to the party.

Last edited by RBX; 12-03-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 PM

OK, ..... I'm back up there.... been a couple hours. BUT, 5 days left? Ugh.... I much prefer CL or "Buy Now"-FlEa bag Bay, lol.

HOW YOU DOING, RB? Hope you're doing well.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Man, how are you?

Crazy times for you I'm sure, hang in there.

As for the bidding wars, I've had that happen to me before pissed me off, but someone told me
a bidder can put in a max there willing to pay and it will automatically up the bid until you reach your max. If I'm not mistaken even if there not on line.
I could be wrong

Last edited by ksti; 12-03-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:24 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Ksti, you are correct about the bidding.
A new set of OME springs from the west coast distributor(ARB) should be cheaper on shipping then for me in the east, me thinks.
I'm fine Mark thanks, hope you are hanging in there.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Glad to see things are settling back down a little bit for you. Sure you still have a ways to go. I havent got to catch up on your thread just yet.

ksti..They have a automatic updates. I did miss out by 50 cents on a bid, highest bid gets it. But I have won some and found a day or so later. You win some, you lose some. On my computer, I can put a bid in 15 seconds before closing and it will post.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice pics of the service Mark looks like it was just right and that rainbow at the end was a message bro...

Having a little laundry on the washboard is an occupational hazard man... look at the bright side your no where near chef prudhomme or emeril ...yet lol...

I'll keep an ear out for your nephew... if i hear of anything...

hope your feeling better
wish I could get an easy alt upgrade like you 22re types...
Old 12-03-2012, 04:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow just spent about an hour catching up on your thread. Once again i missed out a lot! So these next few things will just be a collaboration of comments toward the last 3 pages.
Mark I'm glad you're doing ok. Btw great job on the YouTube video. I watched the whole thing. You have a nice lookin family. And your Pops house is NICE!!! i had no idea Arizona was so nice I just imagined it to be all open desert-ish area. In regards to your nephew, DAMN!!! that kid can save money! thats one dedicated kid haha At least he'll be able to get a 1st gen in great condition for that money and still have left over for mods lol I gonna be lookin for an 85 SFA 4runner?
As far as your big ol' "To-do list" goes. Let me know when you do those leaf springs and confer or anything you may need help. You know im always willing to help you out.
Also Happy belated birthday. Sorry i totally forgot. I knew there was another person in december i just couldnt remember. i know way too many people whos B-days are in December. My girl on the 5th mine and my girls sister on the 13th, All 3 of my band mates are in december, dad on the 17th, 2 of my friends on the 6th cousin on the 24th.... urgh hahahah so many people. So Yea pretty much explains.
When i called you the other day for advice on that shifter bushing was that your birthday? thanks again for replying.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Just checking in on you. I imagine once things get back to normal you are going to be itching to get back after your projects.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:11 PM

WOWOW! lol... Sorry guys, ... been TOTALLY overwhelmed, .......even beyond normal! lol... BUT, it's all in an effort to get things in order/dealt with(death brings THOUSANDS of things to do, including, primarily, paperwork )... BUT, took some time, today, to put up the Christmas Lights for my momz!

THANKS AGAIN, guys, for being so kind... I appreciate that very much.

Originally Posted by ksti
Hey Man, how are you?

As for the bidding wars, I've had that happen to me before pissed me off, but someone told me
a bidder can put in a max there willing to pay and it will automatically up the bid until you reach your max. If I'm not mistaken even if there not on line.
I could be wrong
Hey buddy... I'm doing just fine. Thanks I'll be busy the next few weeks... but things should settle down soon. Far as the 'bidding war'... YUCK! lol.. It's not up to 137$ plus 20$ Shipping..... I KNOW, that's still a decent deal... BUT YIKES, ... I'm afraid that my next bid would take it to 170$ w/shipping and then... well, forget it. I'd rather have new, sorry. Maybe I'm wrong... but I prefer CL... if it's there, I grab it... if not, I don't get it from Ebay unless it's "BUY NOW"... Like the Old Downey CEO was doing a couple years back. WAY better, IMHO. BUT, I get it... nothing against 'bidding'.... for other people, lol. I just don't need the stress.

Originally Posted by RBX
A new set of OME springs from the west coast distributor(ARB) should be cheaper on shipping then for me in the east, me thinks.
Cool... just making sure s'all good witcha back east!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Glad to see things are settling back down a little bit for you. Sure you still have a ways to go. I havent got to catch up on your thread just yet.

On my computer, I can put a bid in 15 seconds before closing and it will post.
Just checking in on you. I imagine once things get back to normal you are going to be itching to get back after your projects.
I'm WAY past itching... I'm AN HOUR AND A HALF PAST ITCHING.... This is Poison Ivy land here, buddy! lol. I can't wait. I have other plans, too... Finally have time to take on another project... and I WILL, NO kidding.

15 minutes before, you say? hmmmmmmmmmmm! lol. Meh... still, ... 160$ to my door, as it stands right now? I've RARELY seen stuff like this on CL for over 140$ ... BUT, they go fast as well. First come first serve can be a bugger as well... We'll see, ya know?

Originally Posted by aviator
Nice pics of the service Mark looks like it was just right and that rainbow at the end was a message bro...

Having a little laundry on the washboard is an occupational hazard man... look at the bright side your no where near chef prudhomme or emeril ...yet lol...

I'll keep an ear out for your nephew... if i hear of anything...

hope your feeling better
wish I could get an easy alt upgrade like you 22re types...
Thanks, .... It was right on time, the rainbow... And yep, I was pleased how everything went... I mean, for once, EVERYTHING I ORDERED WAS 'AS PROMISED'! hahaha.

Laundry? Hmmmmmm, lol... Maybe Laundromat? hehe.... JK, I'm not that bad. But I do want to get back in the shape I once was(well, whatever shape I'm capable of, within reason of course/Meaning, I WILL NOT be doing that 5-6 hours a day again... HECK NO! lol) My accidents and injuries have REALLY screwed me on that end... BUT ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE, ..... or you can at least try!

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Wow just spent about an hour catching up on your thread. Once again i missed out a lot! So these next few things will just be a collaboration of comments toward the last 3 pages.
Mark I'm glad you're doing ok. Btw great job on the YouTube video. I watched the whole thing. You have a nice lookin family. And your Pops house is NICE!!! i had no idea Arizona was so nice I just imagined it to be all open desert-ish area. In regards to your nephew, DAMN!!! that kid can save money! thats one dedicated kid haha At least he'll be able to get a 1st gen in great condition for that money and still have left over for mods lol I gonna be lookin for an 85 SFA 4runner?
As far as your big ol' "To-do list" goes. Let me know when you do those leaf springs and confer or anything you may need help. You know im always willing to help you out.
Also Happy belated birthday. Sorry i totally forgot. I knew there was another person in december i just couldnt remember. i know way too many people whos B-days are in December. My girl on the 5th mine and my girls sister on the 13th, All 3 of my band mates are in december, dad on the 17th, 2 of my friends on the 6th cousin on the 24th.... urgh hahahah so many people. So Yea pretty much explains.
When i called you the other day for advice on that shifter bushing was that your birthday? thanks again for replying.
Thanks, bud.. yeah, the nephew is a character. He wants IFS, I think... Something LT I believe... He's more of a 'SPEED' FREAK! lol. I'm pretty sure he'd rather get air than crawl.... But we'll see. I'll be discussing that more with him and his dad. Normally, my bro would say, "JAPANESE??????? oh mannnnnn!" lol.... BUT, he's broken that thinking. He had a high end Infinity V8 4door that did like 168MPH, lol. But he loves the American Muscle, above all else. He has an LS1 Camaro, right now. My BDay is Nov. 28th. And it's totally fine, man... I know you're busy... It's just another Bday, not D-DAY! lol. But thanks, just the same, Richard

I will keep that in mind on the 'help'... I DEFINITELY could use some. If I get on the brake upgrade first, or whatever, I will letcha know and see if you can or not. Again, if you can't, I understand... And thanks for the offer.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 PM

Yes guys, In case u haven't used it, it's called esnipe. www.esnipe.com

-RAD

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I sense Shenanigans, William.... I bid, and within seconds, I was outbid... Bid again, ...and again, 2 SECONDS later, it notified me I was outbid... Me thinks his Sister is logged in at work and hiking it up! hahaha.

I had it at 105$... that's 125$ with shipping already.... on something used and no way to verify the bushings, etc.? Hmmmmm.... I wonder if for 125$ I can get the Kit Toyo got to do Chevy 63's... (It's just hangers and such.. they're 2.5", that's the key). I mean, I already got the 56" Dakota Packs with bushings and all ready to go.... 20$ or whatever it was on 50% off day, right?) ...... lol.
Originally Posted by ksti
Hey Man, how are you?

I could be wrong
Originally Posted by RBX

ksti..They have a automatic updates. I did miss out by 50 cents on a bid, highest bid gets it. But I have won some and found a day or so later. You win some, you lose some. On my computer, I can put a bid in 15 seconds before closing and it will post.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks, RAD

BTW, that set of springs? 160$ now, with shipping...... My guess is it will stop at 175$(meaning, 155$ to buy and 20$ shipping).....I mean..... REALLY? Am I silly for saying that's a bit much for a used set of springs?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol Wow. Reading your thread made me realize how good of a deal i really got when i bought that SFA. lol i paid $550 for the axle and all the extras the guy included for me. both front and rear leaf springs included. Noice! I scored hahah

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread