86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Paul, .... thanks man. Yeah, he's finally using the cane all the time... But he's REALLY a sad case out of all that I've seen... See, the docs say, "YOU ARE SO healthy, card.vasc. wise.... Respiratory wise... you just HAVE SAT TOO LONG! I know you love your couch and tv... but it's gonna be the end of you. You wont even enjoy that, eventually." ... But, over all these last few years he's heard that... from them, myself(I would know, I've lived this stuff IN GREAT DETAIL for years!).... he's just not hearing it or chooses this, plain and simple. He was THE MOST active, athletic, extremely agile guy, even into his 60's... most people were embarrassed to take him on in anything, even then. But something happened at some point... and he just simply lost interest once it started to become a "pain outweighs the gain" realm type of thing. He was 4 year Iowa State Champion Wrestler, ... I think losing 2 matches in ALL THAT TIME! Incredible boxer, incredible basketball player, incredible endurance..... Just an all around stud! So, trust me, it's not that I don't get it... he's 80, HE'S OLD, plain and simple...BUT, it's so hard to tell how much is his unwillingness to GET STARTED on that process of 'getting in a lil better shape, as far as the metabolism and cardio/vascular - respiratory/endurance go... and how much is maybe something we just can't see. He SWEARS, he just doesn't have ANY energy.. And I CAN SEE, clearly, he not only is without energy... But, furthermore, he's COMPLETELY out of breath after walking like 100Ft. I mean.... when we sat down to eat, I was keeping a close eye on him... he was MISERABLE! But HE WANTED to be there. That walk to the restaurant? He nearly fell 2 times... and the next morning? >>> SLEPT TIL NOON! Totally unusual for him, ... so obviously... he's NOT doing ANY effort making in the 'getting a lil more endurance, daily' dept.

Bottom line... that's up to my father. I am VERY good at training people to become motivated in WHATEVER it is... eating well, etc., etc. But there are times, you have to except... "He just, either, DOESN'T WANT IT.. or can't do it... and bottom line, has to CHOOSE to at least TRY, first, on his own".

I had to grow to acceptance in many things in life... One of them being that I can NOT carry the weight of the world on my shoulders forever... IT WILL crush me!(words of my pops that REALLY made an impact on me, in my late 20's).... Another issue which I've battled with is in eventually accepting, with some people..... that I am JUST NOT THE VESSEL to be used in helping them(they're not going to receive what I have to say, no matter how logical, PERIOD!) .... For many years, that was HARD for me. A parable I love is "Once, twice, .... three times, WALK AWAY!"... it's basically the definition of insanity, to some extent("Repeating the same behavior or action, repeatedly, ...and each time expecting a different result than what's ALREADY MANIFESTED..... EVERY TIME BEFORE!") hahaha... My dad SEEMS to get it ....and He IS in agreement... Every time, he says, "Yeah, you're probably right.... it makes sense.. I mean, the first few times, it hurts! Then less and less.. I know that. I just can't seem to GET UP, SON!"... ...... Honestly... he's also scared, as he has, while in PART a good sign of motivation... done stupid things, like 'walked off up the street, a good 2 blocks.... and then began to go into a spin.. then fell nearly in the STREET! A woman drove him home... He was so out of it and scared from that, he hardly knew how to direct her back. After calming down, he was ok... BUT, he is losing the cognitive ability a bit as well... (Ie. Even a year ago... he was still driving...and he pulled to this driveway, where he just got himself... and drove out to the curb... and stopped.. sitting there for 5 minutes before he could remember where he was or what he was doing) They've tested him for Alzheimer's Disease.... he doesn't seem to have the results to make that likely... But then he doesn't seem to show many signs of vascular dementia, either. And again...he's 80! lol... I get it.. he's not going to be as sharp as any other time in life. It's just sad that it freaks him out, ya know? Interesting how being in your own home and doing nothing but being there... it's SO IMPORTANT, more and more, as you get into the twilight of life. It's COMFORTING! You KNOW IT, well! Ya know? You just simply don't feel as vulnerable, straight out.

All that said,.... it was GREAT to see my father...and even greater to see the joy on his face that 12 OF US, his family.... grandkids, great grandkids... we all came to be WITH HIM! And OH MY LORD, ....he was SOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY to see my mother... It's been a few years. They're VERY dear friends, to this day. He worries VERY much about her.

That leads me to another somber note.... And I feel I should share, as many of you are and have been praying or keeping me in your thoughts and best wishes... I'm very grateful, as is my family. Thank you. That said... I got a call, while driving home from AZ... "This is your Stepfathers nurse... He's DEFINITELY not going to make it... He's failed 3 swallow tests(they gave him a third, against most common practices... just to give him a chance)and he has FIRMLY refused to take any artificial feeding. Hes' literally expressed that he'd like to 'move on'. So, this morning... we removed everything but Oxygen and Morphine drip.... It will be a matter of .... well, it's up to him... But we'd guesstimate, ... between 3 days to 2 weeks... TOTALLY dependent on him and his refusal or agreement to let go." He's already not eaten solid food in 2 weeks... And he can no longer sustain without stomach or other tubes. So, it appears as though his long and tough fight is nearly over. I'm actually VERY relieved for him... He's suffered enough.

I just pray they give him as much Morphine as is ethically possible over the next few days... Because what echos over and over in my mind, guys? After the open heart surgery, last November... A year ago today, ACTUALLY!... he said, around 5 months in.... "Mark, .... I want to just go home, move on... I can't even walk any more... I'm in so much pain in my legs. I know eventually they will cut off my legs... DON'T LET THEM DO THAT TO ME!"..... So we put that stuff in order, on paper, as he wished... But I mention it now, basically, because it's just further confirmation that he WOULD NOT WANT TO LIVE LIKE THIS! He's even FAR worse than he was when he said that, about 'going home.... So at peace with the fact that he'll soon be free from all this... BUT, I am simultaneously concerned about my mom. She's OBVIOUSLY not taking the news well.... So, with all her health issues... of course, it's concerning. But what can you do, eh? DAY BY DAY!

All I can say, guys... what I HAVE TO SAY..... If you feel any urgency, tugging at you, .... as in "just call him/her"... PLEASE do it. I've been blessed, in my humble opinion... to be ALLOWED to serve people as I have in life... But I have, like many, been in situations where I've lost someone that I hadn't made peace with. I strongly urge you, as a fellow human being,.... PLEASE TRY, if it's nudging you in any way? And PLEASE, ALSO, as I've said many times... TALK THIS STUFF OVER WITH YOUR KIDS OR YOUR PARENTS! You HAVE TO BE prepared.... for EACH OTHERS sake, guys and gals. Yes, you'll manage, having not done so... But trust me, YOU'LL TOTALLY regret you'd not planned things ahead, at least the basics(The financial things alone have irreparably shattered COUNTLESS families). The end of life, whether by surprise(which is VERY much more often than people think) or not....I can't imagine my children having to make those TERRIBLY complicated life and death decisions... So I've done so for them, while I'm still of TOTALLY sound mind. And I've made sure that both of my parents HAVE NOT ONE SINGLE CONCERN, not one... regarding their wishes being honored.

Please... continue to keep my mom in your prayers? She's a SUPER ANGELIC LADY! And she's very sensitive... To top that all off... she's always been a servant.. And now, her days of being 'servant' are less and less.... (and will now, with the loss of her very needy husband, DRAMATICALLY decrease).... and her days of 'being served' are having to increase... as she's unable to sustain 100% on her own for TOO long of periods of time. She's overwhelmed to begin with... And this was just a thump, deep in the stomach for her, ya know?

I just pray that he would go without having to suffer another minute. He's suffered enough.

Thanks, again, everyone... We have greatly appreciated your thoughts and prayers...and will continue to do so. My mother wanted me to PLEASE tell you all thank you, SO MUCH, for being so caring. She knows, especially on line... it's easy to just not chime in.. And neither of us would EVER begrudge anyone for choosing to do so. But it's important to her that you all know that she's VERY thankful. ........... And trust me, that's 100% SINCERE! Many of what I printed out for her brought a tear of appreciation out in her... And she said, "That's so kind.. PLEASE tell them thank you, so much!"

Wishing you all well...and gave thanks for all the good peeps that I've come to know, even personally in many cases. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:25 AM

My Stepfather, Ervin Gabor Barteky, Age 85, Passed away in this, the early morning of November 25th, 2012.

Thanks, so much, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers..., and thank you in advance for the continued ones as we deal with what follows.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I am sorry to hear of this for your family and what you will be having to deal with now. Feel for your mom as I know this is a terrible time for her now. I read your thread earlier this morning and was trying to think what to say on the way home. Really dont know what to say.

Last time I seen pics of your father he looked like he was doing well. Something changed fast. Will keep you in thoughts and prayers.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my condolences mark
Old 11-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So sorry.

Chef, my sincere condolences to you and your family.
Thinking back, my grandfather died the same day in 1971.

Last edited by rworegon; 11-25-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Condolence, Mark

My condolences, Mark. Praying that your Mom and the rest of the family can cope well.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our condolences my friend.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:57 PM

So sorry to hear the bad news Mark. I wish you and your family the best. Once again if you need anyone to talk to or just to go out with for a little bit to help you get through this I'm here for ya bro. Don't hold back to call me man.
Anyway, once again my condolences Mark. I wish you guys the very best. You'll get through this. You're a very strong dude. Just take some time.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My condolences to you and your family.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:09 PM

Sorry to here that Mark!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Condolences

Mark I'm so sorry to hear of your loss... but I'm also happy for your step dad that his suffering is at an end. Give your mom a hug from me... things will get better.

On your dad it sounds like he might have some issues with oxygen saturation... that could explain his sudden loss of energy... on the other hand given his jock past you must know that once you start riding the pine it takes a long time to get back into game shape.
If he's in Phoenix have they checked him/his house for hanta exposure or other enviro issues? he may just have a sick house that's affecting him...
Old 11-25-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry for your loss Mark, condolences to you and your family. You were there for him every step of the way, and did everything a son could be expected to do.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 PM

Guys..... WOW, thank you so much!

Honestly? He had suffered long enough... and thankfully, he went quickly and in his sleep. He's struggled long enough with no quality of life... I'm VERY grateful that he's free from that!

I'm very much at peace with this.... Of course, the next few days will be tough, especially for my mom... BUT, she's also very comfortable with the fact that he pretty much passed on his own terms and without any more pain(Comfort Care in the Hospital is MOST DEFINITELY the way to go if you have a choice, in many peoples minds/experiences.. My experience, in this? He was kept VERY comfortable, the entire time, every minute, from the time they determined he would not pull through, til 24 hours later when he passed away.) He told them, with full understanding, 'NO MORE'... and let go very shortly after they stopped sustaining him with IV, etc. His body and mind had had enough, ...that's my best guess.

Terry; I believe you mentioned my father looking ok, that they were surprised. I think there might be some confusion, understandably. My Stepfather, who passed away early this morning... I doubt those were the pictures you saw. I have several of Ervin, my stepfather, over the last couple years, as he's deteriorated. However, I just didn't feel right sharing pictures of him in such an emasculated and unhealthy state. But, here he was with my mom, just 2 years ago... Already beginning to have issues from his heart, but still getting out, walking on his own, etc. NOT WELL, mind you... but still fairly independent around the house, at times......

Compared to how he looked just a month ago? I just couldn't explain adequately, guys... He was unrecognizable to many who'd not seen him in years.

This is my Father, who lives in Arizona...

I will be uploading pics of him, from our trip, this Thanksgiving when I get time.

But wow, guys... as far as Ervin, my stepfather goes?;

For a diabetic that had suffered 3x Bypass and Bovine Aortic Valve Replacement Surgery from Heart Disease, a Fairly large Stroke, horrific diabetic neuropathy damage to the legs, bad spinal stenosis, baseball sized malignant melanoma removed from over his 5th vertebra from the top, fairly damaging dementia(which is actually what finally took him out, as it took away his ability to swallow without aspirating).... For him to live to 85, with diabetes and all that damage? IT'S MIRACULOUS, considering to the odds, ya know? I think it's a testament to his NEVER being a drunkard, never smoking a single ANYTHING, gardening around 50%, LITERALLY, of his life. ALL OF THAT goes wrong... Things that often kill people half his age, WITHOUT diabetes... And then a simple thing like a signal in the brain that should work like it has for 85 YEARS..... fails... and in weeks, it's over.

Yes, it's sad.. But I'm FAR more relieved, for him, than I am sad. I'm really just worried for my mother, at this point. This last year took like 5 years off her life... It's VERY obvious. HOPEFULLY, I pray, she can get back into a lil bit of a healthy lifestyle and still be a lil bit of a bad girl that she likes to be, haha... and maybe give herself a bit longer to enjoy the quality of life she still has, you know?

I wish you all well.... I'll be back and forth.. Just a bit overwhelmed for a lil while longer, ya know?

THANKS AGAIN, GUYS, GALS, .... VERY kind of you all to share your condolences with my family.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-26-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 PM

sorry for your loss mark, my condolences
Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 AM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
I just saw this. My deepest sympathy goes out to you.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Mark,

I recently went through something similar with my grandfather. I was so grateful that we saw it coming and were able to spend time with him as a family. We also knew, like in your case, that he didn't want to continue in his ill state. Despite all of these comforts, it was still very painful and difficult to lose him... as it should be. Thanks for keeping us all posted on how you're doing. I'll be thinking about you and your family.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark,
My thoughts and Prayers are with you again.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 AM

Much appreciated, guys... Thank you

I hope you all have a wonderful Holiday Season, .... enjoy every moment, right?

Those of you who've been going through rough times and trials lately.... You have my prayers, best wishes and I really hope things improve for you and yours.

Spent the entire day planning the funeral and then completing all of the process at the mortuary. His funeral will be Friday, 2pm, at Green Hills Mortuary... I did the best I could with what I have... I hope it brings a smile and some comfort to my mother in this difficult time for her. It will be an outdoor service... so no viewing, etc., etc., ... he didn't want anything elaborate. (in fact, ....as awkward as it might sound right now... it makes me chuckle, thinking on what he said when we talked about it before his heart surgery last year. People came with all this grandiose hypothetical stuff's... And, then he said, "NO WAY... wrap me up in cardboard and duct tape and push me out to sea in a viking ceremony.... Will they let you do that?" hahaha... He HATED wasting even a CRUMB of food... let alone a penny.... GOD FORBID A DOLLAR! lol. But, ...in the end, while I went a bit over what he wanted, hehe... I really think he'd be honored that we made it full of plants and food, the things he enjoyed more than everything but his time with my mother.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was just checking in on your thread and heard the bad news, I'm sorry for your loss Mark, you and your faimly will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread