86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok easy check

is yer new done light working in all functions?

yes its in the wiring tween the side light an the main 3 way you set up to divide the power to 3 lights

'if the new dome light aint working you broke something an that would explane why its not working way it clearly should be
Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Got it~! I'm SO laughing at myself.... YES, again! lol.

Well, I was just being cautious... and after a blown fuse and more investigating... I GOT IT!

Working flawlessly... BUT, have to run to the hospital to do more paperwork... So I'll be back and update with a video I did.

THANKS AGAIN, GUYS~!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-17-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Okkkkkk, ....

VIDEOS..........

I should just do another one that's VERY clear in the daylight... and I probably will. BUT, if anyone plans to do this.... this will tell you EXACTLY how you need to wire up the "2nd Gen 4Runner Rear Wiper Motor Cover 3 Wire/Pop-In Mounted Dome Light Mod" hahaha...

Just to clarify before the video....

*Blue Wire gets "12V Constant"

*Green Wire gets "Door Lock Detection Switch Mod-Wire w/Diode"

*White Wire gets "Grounded to SOMETHING 'Chassis' related, like the Jack Mounting Bracket Mounting Bolt"

The cut out process for this was A PITA.... But seeing that I DID IT, and it will work? IT'S WORTH IT, ... hahaha. >>>>

First video is before I soldered everything up and did a really clean job on heat shrink tubing(to the point I didn't need any electrical tape, etc. >>>

Second Video is all wired up/completed... Just have to finish the panels 6x9 portion and cut out for the OEM Deck Lamp(that will be my red LED mood light/night vision factor-light. ) .... When I removed the Grate for my 6x9's.... GOOD LORD, I can't even explain how dirty the one I removed was! Literally caked stuff in every crevice!!! 1/8" THICK, no kidding. It probably protected them all this time, hahaha... I wiped the crap away and it was GOLD WOOFER AND CHROME TWEETED COAXIAL "CLASSIC TSA6959 3WAY PIONEER 100W RMS 6X9's", HAHAA.... I'll get pics, side by side, tomorrow.... YOU WILL LAUGH, I promise! I filled half a GOLD MEDAL Polish cap with the crap that came out of ONE SPEAKER! hahaha. Grate was ALL punched in.... Just a mess. BUT THEY HAVE NOT ONE HOLE! For now, they'll do....... )

anyway, second video>>>

Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey mark... sorry to hear you've had a migraine those puppies are no fun at all... been there done that... got the eye shades. lol

No worries on the Ryobi tools they will stand up to most jobs a home owner/hobbiest will throw at them... if you were going to be using it hard every day then you'd want to spend the bucks for Dewalt [just expensive B&D] or Milwaukee. Or if you really want to spend $ Metabo or Frued...

for those panels I would glue a layer of 1/4" or 1/8" foam to them and wrap with some grey vinyl you can get excellent quality aircraft [fire rated] vinyl at most fabric shops for very reasonable prices. the foam padding will help with noise absorption and be softer/warmer when you brush up against it at night. I'd add some small D-rings to the sides... one never knows when one might need to secure something in the back and the rings will make it easy.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 PM

PS> I was sent this in an email from a buddy... He is a TOTAL "Focal" Freak! lol...... He said, "This is A VERY good deal... This model HAS come down... but it's still pretty good fora great speaker"... BUT, I'm wondering, ... WOULD THIS FREAKING THING EVEN FIT the magnet into the dash???? hahaha>>>>

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...l-100-CVX.html

Here's my current speakers.... It was 2000 WHEN I GOT THEM! haahaha... And they look EXACTLY like this, cleaned up! I CAN'T BELIEVE they don't have one flaw! They've fallen off the roof... And, in fact, they were IN THAT WRECK in the white 4Runner when I crashed! I picked them up at the tow lot, because they were only allowing me to get things not bolted down! .... Anyway, I AM NOT opposed to new speakers... But I'm telling you... I have some ADS Shelf Speakers, 400W max, 210w RMS... THEY ARE INSANE loud.. and I got them for 5$ at the goodwill... They're 300-400$ speakers. Got some infinity Teak Wood/black stain/risen grill speakers, 8", 4" and 1" shelf speakers.... also 5$ each, also at the goodwill! hahaha. I'll post pics.. But my point is that MANY of some of the best things are just GONE, forever... I had Rogers Sound Lab Speakers, guys.... They got stolen, but EVERY sound guy that came to my pad back in the day was TOTALLY envious! And they DO SOUND, all day! lol... They were like 800$, for 2 Larger home Speakers.... But honestly, UNREAL sound, ...

Obviously my Pioneers are not going to out perform those Polk DXi691 or whatever they are... I'm SURE those will blow me away... I just have such a hard time, when I have something working fine..... to buy something brand new! lol... Like a rear bumper... I KNOW a TG or whatever one, CBI.... it'll be stronger, etc. BUT I HAVE A BRAND NEW ONE! lol... Stock, sure... but it's CHERRY, .... and if I bust it up... FINE, I'll cave! lol. Heck, maybe in the meantime, I'll find just what I 'want' on CL or something... for 1/3RD OF THE PRICE!!! haha.

OH, HEY PAUL! haha... Sorry, Just saw your post... Was finishing up my video post when you posted. Yeah, vinyl WOULD work... I'm still not 100% decided... But I REALLY wanna go with Carpet... Not just for looks but it WOULD absorb a lil too, no? It's rubber backed carpet(that same BEDRUG type stuff I have on the tailgate panel)... Kinda wanted it to match the tailgate to have that trio-color effect... Then maybe the red trim 3D molding with a chrome edge to it... I don't know, just a thought. BUT, I also like the carpet for the 'velcro' factor, ya know? hahaha.... I LOVE using this type of carpet to just slap up my remote, etc., etc. .... My buddy has a bottle opener, lighter, all these things with velcro and he tosses them in there and they just 'doink', stick to the sides, like a magnet! haha.

I'm gonna decide in the next couple days.... No worries... it'll at least be practical, lol. I LIKE the foam idea... It's 1/2" Birch though.. .not sure I need much more beside the carpet? .... but then again, it COULDN'T hurt, I hear ya!

D-rings are a great idea, too! I'ma think it out... I wanna do a cupholder, too.... MIGHT do one that pops out from the side... NOT sure yet.... Could be a PITA..... MORE likely to do a 'FOLD DOWN' cup holder, instead. But we'll see, as this goes... I'M NOT going to hurry it, ...but I want it done, ya know? PLUS, I want things i can change to something else without having to build a whole new panel. I mean, this wood is 14$ a pop... so it's not free, by any means, to just start over... But then again, it's not pricey either, haha.

PSS> The RYOBI JIGSAW KICKS RUMP! lol... MUCH faster than the one I can't find(crafstman)... and has 4 speed settings and an LED light, etc.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-17-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I just remembered what I was wanting to mention to you, it was bugging me trying to figure out what it was. On your temp guage, this wont solve your droping done to zero and you are probably aware of it, but Part # 90916-03070 for Dual Stage Themostat if yours has the rear heater option, it is supposed to solve the needle coming up to warm when the motor is actually cold.

From talking to Jason and our 88 Runner, one with rear heater option has this problem and the rear heater will putout heat befroe the front one even starts to heat up. My 3rd gen doesnt have a rear heater, but Jasons does and says the same thing.

I hear you on replacing something that is working fine such as your bumper. If you wait long enough, one will eventually pop up on Clist or elsewhere. One way of keeping cost down.

Anytime I work on electrical, I always have a nice stash of fuses. Went thru 3 fuses when working on my maplight yesterday. Seems like that goes with the territory. Sounds like you have the same kind of luck. Nice write up on the rear light. One of these day I will go thru the 214 pages and find all of your upgrades.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:45 PM

WOOT~! ...... Got a visit from my buddy, the Resto-King! hehehe... How you doing, Terry? you been ok?

No rear heater here...

Just found that this morning, .... when starting the rig, it was cold but temp was at wherever it left off... 1/3rd? So, I tapped on the plexiglass, .... DROPPED right down to Zero. Then, as it warmed up, it just came up gradually as it should.....

So, the only REALLY big concern I might have is, ... "Will it actually read higher than just over 1/3rd? heheh..

I'll screw the things tighter back there... Pretty sure it's snug, as I replaced that gauge having taken the entire cluster apart, front plexi off, etc. It was SKEEEEEEERY, .lol.... BUT, it went ok. Now I have the new housing... So I might just swap it in, cuz mine has broken clip on top right... and the replacement from PYPart is 100% cherry. Can I just swap out the Odometer with mine? Or is that a real spaghetti soup recipe for disaster? hahaha...
Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 PM

OK, the Tnut idea IS WORKING... and the speakers will be TOTALLY snug and tight.... Just had to go get longer #8 Machine Bolts.... S'all good... Got em and so now I know the cut out is perfect, drill slots were perfect for the tnuts(they taper, so they tighten IN the hole and with the T-nails on the back... It's a GREAT idea that I stole from Bryan89! Well, I stole it subconsciously... hahaha.. I honestly didn't think of the fact that that's where I got it from until today,

Pics of the Classic Pioneers, 12 years and TONS of abuse later.... they cleaned up ok... The rest are self explanatory...

Old 11-18-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Pics of the Classic Pioneers...
Nice job on the panel, Mark! Yes Pioneers sound good. I happened to be at Wal-mart where they had demo Pioneer, Sony XPlod and Scosche 6x9's. Pioneers sounded better that Sony's and the Scosche's totally suck. If I were to replace my 6x9's Id use those pioneers. However, I need more bass than anything so considering the 8-inch Polk DB840 or MM840 and the inexpensive Boss audio sub-amps. I can get decent bass for around $200.

Those little 4-inches look promising. If using them, have you considered mounting them directly behind the dash speaker grill, instead of further back in stock location?

I gather you got the second additional deck lamp working? Sorry wasn't able to reply. Busy at work and went to Little Blair Valley (Anza-Borrego Desert) for meteor shower watch. Shower wasn't that great but still had a good time camping.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man you got it coming together! keep it up!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:37 PM

Hey, thanks, guys!

I think I drove many off with the DRAMA! hahah... S'ok though... it's part of my life.. just trying to share how hard it is to keep up with my plans when things keep coming at me from every direction, ya know?

The speakers fit PERFECTLY.... I mean, like right to the edge of the speaker .....

Carpet will slide under the grate rings... (second layer that the bolts go through)... I just wish they were metal... cuz they cave in a lil bit as I get things really tight, ya know? I'm using lock washers, so I suppose I don't have to crank them to 20#, right? lol. BUTTTTTTTTT, ...they will vibrate and bounce alot, ya know?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 PM

mark the panels are looking great. dont tighten the screws so tight they'll be fine LOL. you'll get it figgered out. hope all is well man and that things are slowing down a bit for ya.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

That carpet is going to leave a nasty burn one of these days I predict...
and it stains while vinyl wipes clean of all sorts of stains and dare I say evidence...
Marine rated vinyl is also water resistant a useful feature in a vehicle that may be open to the elements... but I dig your desire for a uniform look and those bed rugs are sweet to say nothing of warm and toasty on cool desert/forest/mtn. nights...

as for drama I saw no drama...
Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 PM

Hey Jason, Paul... thanks, guys!

Paul... I totally agree.. And, really, the Carpet is VERY dark gray.. it just doesn't show up like that in the pics.... In the video it kinda does.. And by the shiny element of it, you can see it's TOTALLY synthetic... Which makes sense, as it's meant for outdoor use. But the MAIN thing is.... I have it already, haha.. I mean, I LITERALLY have everything I need to do the panels and HOPEFULLY the Con-Ferr, which is soon to follow BUT, ... surely lil odds and ends will pop up with the con-ferr. I DO have everything for the panels though. I was thinking of some mounting tabs in the panels for Flashlight, couple tools(maybe tow strap).... things like that. And, I need to get my fire extinguisher charged and slap it up on the roll bar.

Anyway, ... thanks for looking out, Paul, I appreciate it.

Jason, .... thanks, man... I feel fine. Physically anyhow. Backatcha The stepdad isn't doing so well.. He hasn't eaten yet in 3 days... and they've asked him 3 times, when he's conscious... and he refuses to do the feeding tube. He failed the swallow test, which is very important. And, well.... if he can't swallow safely without aspirating food... they're not going to feed him that way. Only IV, and that can't sustain you at 85 with all his problems, forever, ya know? He's seeming to develop bacteria in spite of the anti-biotics, too... So, we're talking about all this, tonight(my mother and I....)... Maybe it's time, if it's his wish, to let him let go, ya know? He's suffering more and more damage, every day this goes on.. and if he wont allow any feeding tubes or reintibation... Why not make him comfortable, right? Very sad, but really.... it's part of life. The sad thing, honestly? To me, it's that he WANTED to just let go before he was scared by 'certain people' into doing the open heart surgery... He wouldn't have suffered, nor had so many physical increasing infirmities... He would have just fell asleep one of those times he was blacking out.... and would have gone onward, peacefully.

I'll keep you all updated on that, of course... Just trying to do it less.... As it's NOT something I want to become consumed by... I mean, ..................... I've done all I can, ya know?

L8r t8rs, ...

Chef has left the kitchen! lol
Old 11-19-2012, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
You got the speakers in fast. You just reminded me to get a fire extinguisher. As cheap as they are, they can do so much.

Not sounding to good for your stepdad, I feel for your family for that situation. Makes hard for everybody. Life is short enough as it is anyways.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
That carpet is going to leave a nasty burn one of these days I predict... and it stains while vinyl wipes clean of all sorts of stains and dare I say evidence...
Marine rated vinyl is also water resistant a useful feature in a vehicle that may be open to the elements...
aviator & guys,
I also like vinyl. If my carpet were messed up, that's what I'd use. Would that
be available at upholstery stores, or specialty stores? I'm considering using that for my rear deck, on top of still good carpet. A poor man's custom Weathertech . Right now, best deal I could find is shower tub liner PVC sheet. Must be tough enough.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
... I was thinking of some mounting tabs in the panels for Flashlight, couple tools(maybe tow strap)...
Mark, the standard screws-expansion nuts combo that you're replacing hidden plastic fasteners with will come in handy for this.

The stepdad isn't doing so well... The sad thing, honestly? To me, it's that he WANTED to just let go ... peacefully.
Sorry about your stepdad and the family, Mark. Agree with you and him. My dad's meds simply kept him alive but he did not have quality of life for about 11 years. My dad-in-law, on the other hand, just fell off his chair while having breakfast. That's how I'd like to rather go.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 AM

Sorry to hear about your step dad Mark. Things like that are hard. It happened to my grandad in April. Just gotta do what's right by him type of thing
Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chef, sorry your step dad is not bouncing back. It seems though he is making decisions in his own way. Good thoughts your way.
As for drama....nope, you just post life and sometimes life is crazy. :-)
Old 11-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
aviator & guys,
I also like vinyl. If my carpet were messed up, that's what I'd use. Would that
be available at upholstery stores, or specialty stores? I'm considering using that for my rear deck, on top of still good carpet. A poor man's custom Weathertech . Right now, best deal I could find is shower tub liner PVC sheet. Must be tough enough.
I got my Vinyl from a store called Fabricland they mainly sell patterns/thread/fabric for dressmakers and such but also heavier stuff for upholstery.

Mark... sorry to hear your step-dad is'int coming back as well as might be hoped but as others said and I agree perhaps he's decided it's time on his own... all you can do is make him as comfortable as you can and be there for your mom... which you are in spades.

Best of luck bra.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 PM

Hey guys, .....

Thanks, very much, for all the kind words. I know, I say thanks alot.... , but I think it's not said enough nowadays, so I'm making up for it. Plus, I AM thankful, honestly.

Yeah, the panel of doctors have worked with him for DAYS now... he's failing most every test. BUT, one thing they know, is that when he's lucid, he's VERY SOLIDLY decided, when they ask, "Sir, do you want to have a stomach tube inserted? You're not able to eat or drink on your own... And in order to sustain life, you'd have to have a stomach tube inserted...."... He said, 3 times now, "NOOOOOOOOOO, NO WAY".... They've explained to him that, while he could still turn the corner, they do not want to interfere with his advanced directive... They've even repeated what it says for him... He said, "s'what I want"... So basically, he's trying to let go... but they, by law, aren't really able to HELP HIM, for the most part, ya know?

Today he was much more alert, but very congested, .. and VERY combative with the whole restraints thing... And, he's trying to get my mom to untie him, etc. Every time the pull them off, he INSTANTLY pulls the tabs and stuff out and they have to redo them all.

Tomorrow, .... who knows. The problem with dementia, especially his, which was diagnosed today as "Progressive/Late Stage"(which is partly come to as a conclusion due to the failure to swallow properly)... is that it inhibits the ability to recall how to swallow.... LITERALLY, PHYSICALLY inhibits your airway from shutting when you go to swallow... So then you choke, and then pull full down as your caughing... So, they said, ... "We would like to move him to the Nursing home that he was in... It's the most highly equipped for Hospice and since the cuts.. many of them aren't facilitating that anymore.. It's just far more expensive to admit people in late stages of their lives..... And, well, everyone knows him already and has all his paperwork... So it would be much quicker admission and entry into Hospice Care, with his own room or maybe 2 to a larger room.. but no 3 per room for him anymore... You wouldn't have to wait for that."........ It would likely be after the holiday.

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it..

Thanks again, guys

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-19-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread